• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddball

Smash Lord
And that's a problem with Sakurai. He seems to have trouble keeping personal feelings at bay even if he doesn't mean too. Joker got way too much special treatment. Even moreso than Ryu with his inputs and Cloud with his looping jingle (admittedly pretty minor).
I'm not sure how many of us out there would be able to keep our personal feelings at bay if we got to make a game that included a character we really loved.

I'd rather see creators with a passion for what they're doing that bookkeepers trying to make sure that everything is perfectly balanced in representation.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm not sure how many of us out there would be able to keep our personal feelings at bay if we got to make a game that included a character we really loved.

I'd rather see creators with a passion for what they're doing that bookkeepers trying to make sure that everything is perfectly balanced in representation.
That's why he shouldn't be given so much authority. Someone needs to tell him, no, we're not giving this character special treatment. Clearly, no one did that with Joker as he got plenty. He's not even the most iconic third party. Far from it.

Oddball

Smash Lord
That's why he shouldn't be given so much authority. Someone needs to tell him, no, we're not giving this character special treatment. Clearly, no one did that with Joker as he got plenty. He's not even the most iconic third party. Far from it.
So basically you're saying you're all for the bookkeepers.

I'm not going to agree with you on that one.

I think it's a bit odd Joker gets special treatment, but it doesn't hurt anything. I especially disagree with anyone who says he needs to be fired because he didn't do what they would have done.

Arthur97

Smash Master
So basically you're saying you're all for the bookkeepers.

I'm not going to agree with you on that one.

I think it's a bit odd Joker gets special treatment, but it doesn't hurt anything. I especially disagree with anyone who says he needs to be fired because he didn't do what they would have done.
He needs to be kept in check if he can't do it himself. Is it really so hard to keep him in line with everyone else? It's not that hard to give him a normal victory screen.

Passion is all well and good, but left unchecked it starts becoming a problem.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You'd have to look into interviews for that one. DQ thread tells me he's a fan of DQ3 though.

As for Nintendo calling the shots, Sakurai tells us they made the selection, but an Atlus representative says Sakurai approached them for Joker. Perhaps Sakurai went on Nintendo's behalf? Or maybe that tweet was just a way to stop people asking for DLC characters already decided upon, lol.
Well yeah, I was pretty much 95% sure we're getting Erdrick anyway.

How about anything on Nintendo?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This thread just became an excuse to **** on things and its been that way for a while.

Where are the unpopular positive opinions?

It's just like a handful of people complaining about everything at this point.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
This thread just became an excuse to **** on things and its been that way for a while.

Well negative opinions are often way more unpopular than positive ones, especially in a case like Smash which people generally like most aspects of.

Also, after people post their unpopular opinion and get their discussion from it, they often don't have reason to really come back, unless of course to post a new unpopular opinion, which will of course probably be negative.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Okay, actual unpopular opinion: Smash Ultimate's engine is rather.. messy. Sure it's more balanced than other Smash games, yet the neutral really isn't consistent and anything can really happen at any given time, given how the lack of defensive options really make it possible for any crazy attempt to work, with a little luck.

People call Little Mac the worst character, but he actually really thrives under this I feel. Smash 4 had way too strong shields and grabs to stop Little Mac's crazy ground game, Ultimate doesn't. This is also the reason why Ganondorf is doing so well in this game.

Peach and Daisy didn't get enough nerfs, and their way to cheat the short hop nerfs is really annoying.

Having almost 60% of the cast being "Mid Tier" also isn't as much of a good thing as everyone is saying to me either. They still get shut down by the same higher tier characters as in previous Smash games for the very same reasons, just not as badly because neutral is almost as chaotic as playing FFA with items on.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Half the cast being mid tier just kind of seems like they don't want to bother dividing up into lower tiers except to make fun of Mac to me.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Half the cast being mid tier just kind of seems like they don't want to bother dividing up into lower tiers except to make fun of Mac to me.
Another unpopular opinion: Mac isn't worse than most other "Mid Tiers".

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Plant is possibly the worst unique newcomer in terms of moveset in Smash history. His moves seem to be separated from one another. It's hard to explain...but it's like his kit doesn't belong together to form anything consistent.

I like the concepts of the poison barb, the charging body, and the spikeball on paper but they're not working in execution. It's a mismatch of moves put together without any idea on how to build on it.

Petey Piranha should have been the left field choice instead. He's a heavy with goo. You can make a good grappler with that and his build imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I honestly don't take anyone seriously when they say "so and so would be better because X reason", as how do they really know that's how the character they suggest would even function?
Just because they can do these things doesn't mean they will.
Just like the character they are criticizing could have had a different style, but ended up with the style that is being criticized.

D

Deleted member

TBH I dunno if my positive opinions like being open to all DLC picks being third party would be considered unpopular or just divisive.

Unpopular opinion I would guess it would be that I don't mind the lack of DK music considering we don't have that much variety of stages with DK so a lot of tracks would sound weird in a jungle stage.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I mean, most other characters have three different victory screens, Joker just has some variations of a single one, so yeah, he's just different, but I don't see why giving character's "special treatment" is a bad thing? Don't we want characters to be more unique and bring more variety to the game? Why can't the director of a video game express creativity or passion for his project or specific franchises? I don't think at any point Sakurai has necessarily given too much of a damn about how fair he appeared in treatment outside of the whole Kirby newcomers in Melee thing from years ago. And "fair" in this context is horribly impossible to define and completely variable depending on the individual.

Anyway time for my genuine unpopular opinions:

- There's no such thing as "fair" or "balanced representation." Unless you're completely willing to base everything in Smash off of sales, there's no metric to pull that off and actually achieve anything that resembles that notion. And Smash would be a goddamn disappointing travesty if that's how we played things. Goodbye Ice Climbers, Mr. Game and Watch, ROB, Lucas, etc. People should rally for more content or franchises they like, absolutely, but pointing fingers at all of the content that isn't your personal pick or preferences achieves nothing to that end. Subtraction from the game isn't generally going to result in benefit somewhere else and should generally be considered more of a negative. We're always going to rely on some main director to make decisions and will end up with content in different ways and places.

- World of Light gets genuinely really fun once you beat the first map. I enjoy the small overworld puzzles you have to solve and the boss fights start ramping around then. The final map is specifically a really cool balancing act to fight both Dharkon and Galeem in the end, with one of the most genuinely cool rewards in using the Master Hand officially.

- Speaking of which, I don't know if this is super unpopular, but I definitely don't see it mentioned too much. I want a "Master Hand Smash" mode where you can freely play the Master Hand like on that stage. Maybe give the option to fight as Crazy Hand with a different move set to add some variety and be able to add little modifiers. It would be such a cool addition to the game since it's basically already there and it would make finishing World of Light more worthwhile overall too.

- Even if I mostly despised playing on them, I do wish we had gotten Icicle Mountain and Rumble Falls back as stages. I like having the option for the chaos from time to time and having stages like them show up with random and completely changing how you play the game would be great.

- Move set should matter as much if not more than the character. Move sets are the defining feature of Smash characters and are responsible for the bulk of gameplay variety. Well known characters are cool and all, but I don't think the character alone should be enough. Their moveset and how they play should be of more importance to communities than I think they are generally given.

- On that same note, minute character differences make a big difference and I think very few characters in Smash actually play like one another. What it takes to be successful with one rarely translates over to another so easily. Even Marth, Lucina, Roy, and Chrom should all be played with those differences in mind and I generally end up playing them quite differently from one another because of those differences.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484

Well, here's an unpopular opinion and not a *****fest...

I want Pokémon to always have the most reps in SSBU and beyond, even more than Mario. I still wouldn't mind Jigglypuff getting cut. And if Jigglypuff never gets cut, I want it to always be bottom tier in every installment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I don't think at any point Sakurai has necessarily given too much of a damn about how fair he appeared in treatment outside of the whole Kirby newcomers in Melee thing from years ago
Wait, was this exactly? Never heard of this.

And for everyone whose ****ing about Joker, at least be happy we got more than two songs *cough*FinalFantasy*cough*

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, here's an unpopular opinion and not a bitchfest...

I want Pokémon to always have the most reps in SSBU and beyond, even more than Mario. I still wouldn't mind Jigglypuff getting cut. And if Jigglypuff never gets cut, I want it to always be bottom tier in every installment.
Why do you want Jiggs in permanent bottom tier?

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
We need more save slots for Mii fighters. I hit max about as soon as the share feature went up & there's so many great looking miis I have to pass on now. :(

osby

Smash Obsessed
He needs to be kept in check if he can't do it himself. Is it really so hard to keep him in line with everyone else? It's not that hard to give him a normal victory screen.

Passion is all well and good, but left unchecked it starts becoming a problem.
I still have no idea why Joker having cute references in his victory screen is detrimental to your experience of the game in any way.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I still have no idea why Joker having cute references in his victory screen is detrimental to your experience of the game in any way.
To be honest... Aside from the final smash one which no other character can replicate or have an equivalent to...

His victory screen is just lines and running...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I want every character to have a Counter, and it becoming a game mechanic. Now give every character who has a Counter a different Special attack.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I guess some people don't like the fact that third party fighters are making references to their games outside of traditional music tracks or stage details.

I don't really get it either. Can someone explain to me how is Joker having decent representation bad in any way?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Because Joker is getting stuff no one else is. Have you seen anyone else getting custom victory calls or screens? It's excessive. If you want to make references, make them the way every other fighter makes them. Joker is not so special that the rules should be bent for him.

Though, of course someone using Joker as their profile would be all for it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Because Joker is getting stuff no one else is. Have you seen anyone else getting custom victory calls or screens? It's excessive. If you want to make references, make them the way every other fighter makes them. Joker is not so special that the rules should be bent for him.

I just can't rationalize getting that upset over something so minute. Plus, tons of characters have references in their victory screens anyway. There are no "rules." Just because you're upset a pattern was broken, it doesn't make the pattern a rule.

And frankly, I'm thankful they're making the DLC characters feel complete. It's already a shame they don't have Guidances, so why not give them a little something extra to compensate?

osby

Smash Obsessed

But this just removes all the uniqueness from the roster.

Can you imagine removing all the unique mechanics, Smash taunts, character specific voice lines and not giving anyone tethers/wall clings etc.? You're making everyone the same but also making sure characters bring as less diversity as possible.

For what? Not to damage the egos of a vocal minority? It seems like limitation of creativity for petty reasons.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace

I mean I don’t have Joker in my profile and have never even touched a Persona game and I actually really like the unique victory screen. Joker feels like one of the most complete third parties in the roster and I hope the rest of the dlc gets the same treatment as he did, I kinda think you might just have some sort of secret vendetta against Joker that’s manifesting in this bizarre hatred of his victory screen

Arthur97

Smash Master
But this just removes all the uniqueness from the roster.

Can you imagine removing all the unique mechanics, Smash taunts, character specific voice lines and not giving anyone tethers/wall clings etc.? You're making everyone the same but also making sure characters bring as less diversity as possible.

For what? Not to damage the egos of a vocal minority? It seems like limitation of creativity for petty reasons.
AR\re you honestly telling me, that Joker would not be unique without his special victory screens? I'm not making everybody the same, I'm not breaking something everyone else must adhere to for one character. It's not even gameplay, not having it would not affect him.

osby

Smash Obsessed
AR\re you honestly telling me, that Joker would not be unique without his special victory screens? I'm not making everybody the same, I'm not breaking something everyone else must adhere to for one character. It's not even gameplay, not having it would not affect him.
No, I'm telling almost every fighter has similar unique additons and getting irrationally angry over one of them just shows you dislike the character (which you already made quite clear) rather than being against inequal representation among fighters.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Yea like Osby said, there are many other characters that break the ‘norm’, such as Ryu and Ken facing the opponent in 1v1s and Cloud’s jingle. Joker is not only a guest fighter from another company, but is also dlc, meaning he certainly should be treated like one of the most ‘important’ characters in the game if you ask me. They are staying true to his series while still confining to the smash formula and making those who are both fans of his game and of smash happy I think the only issue here is your blatant disliking of the character, it’s of course fine if you don’t like him, but just acknowledge that you aren’t happy with him instead of bashing the aspects of his character that people really enjoy and making claims that Sakurai has ‘gone crazy with power’, people need to realize this is smash, not politics; representation is relative here.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Unless I've heard incorrectly, Joker can't raise the Rebellion Gauge by himself. Unless you can time those Rebel's Guards just right, you likely won't be able to take full advantage of Arsene, unless you're trailing a match.

It's obviously too early to call Joker an overpowered character, because as time passes, people may eventually find ways to overcome any power enhancements that Arsene gives to Joker.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Been a while since I've had one, but time battles >>>> stock battles. Can I explain this one? Not really. Always have loved time more than stock though

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Just a reminder to keep commenting on other users' opinions to a minimum. Don't want an actual debate to spring up in here.

As for my unpopular opinion: :ultcorrinf:still needs more buffs.

Arthur97

Smash Master
No, I'm telling almost every fighter has similar unique additons and getting irrationally angry over one of them just shows you dislike the character (which you already made quite clear) rather than being against inequal representation among fighters.
How? Almost every? Name them. And I'm not talking gameplay mechanics here (I didn't mention his persona). Go ahead. Name almost every fighters unique little additions. Something they have that no one else does. What does Mario have? What does Link have? Captain Falcon? Shiek? Lucas? Mewtwo? R.O.B.? Roy? The list goes on. Name them.

Also, bear in mind that smash taunts and fighter specific dialogue has never been locked to a single fighter always have a minimum of two and the latter does not break the way something works, it just switches out the dialogue spoken.

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
This might not be unpopular but I think the "you're losing, have a gold star" design of some characters is just bad. This has just been brought to the forefront of my mind because of Joker, but it's not only him.

:ultjoker::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultcloud: are the ones that come to mind immediately. They all have a mechanic they gain from for getting hit.

It's bad design, but I understand that it's also an accessibility "for everyone" reason so I can't be too sour about it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
This might not be unpopular but I think the "you're losing, have a gold star" design of some characters is just bad. This has just been brought to the forefront of my mind because of Joker, but it's not only him.

:ultjoker::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultcloud: are the ones that come to mind immediately. They all have a mechanic they gain from for getting hit.

It's bad design, but I understand that it's also an accessibility "for everyone" reason so I can't be too sour about it.
Honestly, I wish their power ups were reversed. I will always prefer to reward players for doing well than pity players for doing badly.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
In Lucario's case, I think his counter could be replaced with a move that causes him to damage himself, and the more he damages himself with that specific move the more powerful his Aura gets. It would make Lucario have to make decisions based on risk-reward and make him more interesting. I think he's currently one of the worst designed characters in smash from a healthy-gameplay perspective.

Mac could easily channel his KO punch, meaning the more he sends you off stage the more dangerous he becomes. Make his meter fill slightly whenever he hits someone and I think that would be better.

Cloud's is almost fine with the nerfs from sm4sh. I just think his limit should fill more by his successful hits, and negate any reward from being hit. I hate hitting Cloud so far off the stage he has no chance but nope, he got his limit so he's back again.

Joker....I don't know enough about the current mechanic. I would like to see something similar that I mentioned for Mac. I don't know anything about Persona though, maybe there's a mechanic in game that can be incorporated into smash to make the mechanic healthier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom