• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Kid Icarus should get atleast 1-2 more newcomers, being Viridi and/or Hades...also entirely new dialogue for a whole new set of Palutena Guidances for a new stage (while recording ones for Palutena’s Temple relating to the dlc characters...Bayonetta specifically).

Also, Amy Rose (especially Boom Amy) and/or Dr.Eggman should join Smash before Tails and Knuckles (besides them already being background characters for GHZ, Amy and Eggman have plenty of interesting things that can either be taken from their games or made up completely)

IMO, all of the FE characters except Marth are flavor of the month. Roy was used to promote his new game. Ike was added because PoR was released in 2005 and Brawl started development in 2005. Same thing with Robin and Lucina, but in 2012. Corrin was added to promote Fates. The general theme around all FE newcomers except Marth is that they are related to Smash's start of development or release. Start of development just using the most recent character. Near release to promote the new game. It's not about them having relevance now, it's about when they had relevance that got them into Smash.
Well good thing Lucina, Robin and Ike are still popular in the Fire Emblem community (not as popular as Lyn is, but still huge)

St. 64

Smash Rookie
Well, I have a lot of thoughts on the matter.

First of all, I think Bayonetta should return. With Bayonetta now being a Nintendo exclusive, it is her time to shine. Of course, she would need to be nerfed, but all bad feelings aside from her being too powerful, she deserves a place in Smash.

Secondly, I believe that the roster is becoming too big. With so many characters, Smash is very difficult to balance. I suggest that only truly iconic characters should remain. Characters who have made their mark in Nintendo history should stay. That means no Wii Fitt, Corrin, or Cloud. Trimming the fat in the roster could help flesh out other parts of the game, such as other characters or a Subspace.

Now the question is, how do you keep the new Smash fresh? What if old characters got a rework? Mario, Samus, and Donkey Kong would have different move-sets. The changes do not have to be too drastic (Mario keeps Up-B, Samus keeps morph bombs, DK keeps Ground Slam), but enough to keep the game fresh. Newcomers should still come but in a much smaller amount.

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
I don't see the point in playing Smash Bros one-on-one in flat levels without platforms, stage hazards, or items.

There are tons of fighting games that already have this setup. If you want to go play Street Fighter, just go play Street Fighter. Let Smash be the wild crazy off the wall game that it's supposed to be.
just so you know no one actually plays like that with no platforms lol

Smartz

Smash Cadet
I think that Ridley is in fact too big and shouldn’t be added into Smash 5.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I think that Ridley is in fact too big and shouldn’t be added into Smash 5.
Doesn’t seem unpopular to me
Well, I have a lot of thoughts on the matter.

First of all, I think Bayonetta should return. With Bayonetta now being a Nintendo exclusive, it is her time to shine. Of course, she would need to be nerfed, but all bad feelings aside from her being too powerful, she deserves a place in Smash.

Secondly, I believe that the roster is becoming too big. With so many characters, Smash is very difficult to balance. I suggest that only truly iconic characters should remain. Characters who have made their mark in Nintendo history should stay. That means no Wii Fitt, Corrin, or Cloud. Trimming the fat in the roster could help flesh out other parts of the game, such as other characters or a Subspace.

Now the question is, how do you keep the new Smash fresh? What if old characters got a rework? Mario, Samus, and Donkey Kong would have different move-sets. The changes do not have to be too drastic (Mario keeps Up-B, Samus keeps morph bombs, DK keeps Ground Slam), but enough to keep the game fresh. Newcomers should still come but in a much smaller amount.
Don’t see Wii Fit or Corrin leaving, but Cloud definitely

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Fire Emblem has grown a lot since Awakening and shouldn't get any cuts (because cuts = bad) but I still view it as being not exactly deserving of it's current representation, it's not popular or big enough to justify being on par with Pokemon in terms of playable characters and it taking up so much devtime and I feel that because of that it shouldn't get any further playable representation at this point until like another game past Smash Switch at least. It got a lot of love last game, I think it'd be best to spread that kind of love and attention around this game to franchises/fanbases like DK, Metroid, etc that didn't get much last time around, that way as many people as possible can be made happy, or at least that's what I think and hope. Only saying this because I think the "No more Fire Emblem characters" thing was the popular opinion, but lately it looks like it isn't, I think the Fire Emblem fatigue wore off for most people, I could be wrong though.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
I don't want King K Rool in Smash. As a playable character, at least.

Let me elucidate.
Yes, I played the games and yes, I understand that there are lots of people that want him more for his character than for his possible movesets, but I would rather have another -Kong like Dixie Kong or Funky Kong than what looks like it would be a heavy, immovable and yet unreachable zoner. I don't find his possible movesets appealing in the slightest.
If Sakurai decides to take the "Bowser & Dedede" path, where he's just this enormous wardrobe of a character who throws himself against the enemies, other than the fact that I think he wouldn't be much appealing to the community, he would be like the sixth of this kind of character (Bowser, Dedede, Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, Wario).
If Sakurai takes the "zoner path" we would have a spamming beast that, when you get to reach him, he's too heavy to be punished adequately. Doesn't sound fun to fight against.
If Sakurai takes an "assassin path", where King K Rool can turn invisible and teleport like he does in Country 2, he would have an heavy and slow assassin, which doesn't sound fun to play.

I don't know, you could argue that I can't really predict Rool's moveset until it gets announced, but any kind of path I can imagine Sakurai take to make a character that is loyal to the source material doesn't sound appealing to me.
Make it an assist, make it a boss.
But a playable King K Rool just sounds toxic to me.
I always had the impression that King K Rool was made yes to be fun, but also the be frustrating to fight against. I don't think I want a character like that in Smash.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't want King K Rool in Smash. As a playable character, at least.

Let me elucidate.
Yes, I played the games and yes, I understand that there are lots of people that want him more for his character than for his possible movesets, but I would rather have another -Kong like Dixie Kong or Funky Kong than what looks like it would be a heavy, immovable and yet unreachable zoner. I don't find his possible movesets appealing in the slightest.
If Sakurai decides to take the "Bowser & Dedede" path, where he's just this enormous wardrobe of a character who throws himself against the enemies, other than the fact that I think he wouldn't be much appealing to the community, he would be like the sixth of this kind of character (Bowser, Dedede, Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, Wario).
If Sakurai takes the "zoner path" we would have a spamming beast that, when you get to reach him, he's too heavy to be punished adequately. Doesn't sound fun to fight against.
If Sakurai takes an "assassin path", where King K Rool can turn invisible and teleport like he does in Country 2, he would have an heavy and slow assassin, which doesn't sound fun to play.

I don't know, you could argue that I can't really predict Rool's moveset until it gets announced, but any kind of path I can imagine Sakurai take to make a character that is loyal to the source material doesn't sound appealing to me.
Make it an assist, make it a boss.
But a playable King K Rool just sounds toxic to me.
I always had the impression that King K Rool was made yes to be fun, but also the be frustrating to fight against. I don't think I want a character like that in Smash.
I get your take on this.

However, I doubt they would deliberately make K.Rool frustrating to fight against. And just having ONE projectile doesn't make a character a zoner.

King Dedede is a good example. His Gordo Throw isn't spamable, it has way too much lag and well... It is quite the situational move.

If K.Rool can be balanced adequately, there wouldn't be a problem. I think he'll face pretty much all the problems all the other heavies would face; very easy to combo and rack damage against.

For Glory King

Smash Rookie
Although this is kinda split, I think that Ridley would be a horrible pick for a character. He is much too big. An alternative to still make him playable would be to make a boss mode, where you could play as a boss and fight of a regular character or vise-versa. Idea from RelaxAlax. Go checkout his Youtube channel.

Falco can keep his current down-B, but with a twist. He should perform his classic Melee shine, but if B is tapped a second time, He will kick it out like with his Brawl and Smash 4 shine. This may not be unpopular per say, but is not a very well-known option.

For Glory is good as it is. A ranked system would take all of the fun out of the mode. If it is ranked, than the humor of fighting a kindergartener, or the extreme challenge of finding Zero or Fatality online will be taken away, as you would only be able to fight people that are own your skill level. A better report system for bullying via tags should be implemented if anything.

Rayman has a much higher chance and would work better than Shantae. All of his Smash Attacks, Tilts, Jabs, and his Dash Attack, are filled in by what he can do in Origins and Legends. He will have a wall jump, a glide and a wall slide. His down air and down Smash can be instantly cancelled after the hit box has come out, or he has hit the ground. Okay, maybe not the last one, but you get the point. His Jabs are the quad jab he has in Origins and Legends. His Neutral B is him shooting the plunger gun from Rayman Raving Rabbids. His Up Smash Can Be him spinning his hair in a multi hit move. It would look like the cancelled grounded helicopter hair ability in Rayman Origins. He can have a tether grab with the chain thing from Rayman 3. His weight, fall speed, walk speed, and run speed can be ripped straight from Rayman Legends. I have more ideas but this is it for now.

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Here's a few more:

I would MUCH rather have Pichu come back than Snake, not that I hate Snake, but Pichu was just way more fun to crush and troll people with.

I think Young Link should come back.

Cloud was one of (if not the most) monumental inclusions in Smash to date.

And, if any third party character were to be cut, id say Ryu is the most likely.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
For curiosities sake, would you prefer him instead of Toon Link or in addition to?
Oh yeah, great question! I should have said this, but I would want both to stay. Ideally though, I would want Young Link to be reworked to feature the masks from MM, whether this mean a transformation move set, or just moves based off of the transformation masks I don't know.

Smartz

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, great question! I should have said this, but I would want both to stay. Ideally though, I would want Young Link to be reworked to feature the masks from MM, whether this mean a transformation move set, or just moves based off of the transformation masks I don't know.
I never played Major’s Mask, but that’d give me a reason to play it.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
Another Unpopular Opinion:
I just don't see the popularity / appeal in Dixie Kong. I know people have said to me that "Dixie is vastly different from Diddy" but I strongly disagree because
  • Diddy and Dixie's body shape are about the same
  • Diddy and Dixie's gait seems too similar
While Dixie has her ponytail that could make her in some way "unique", I still think those first two reasons are two huge let-downs for me to even want her included

blue~

Smash Rookie
I think they should redo characters like give them a new moveset for marth and fox

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Another Unpopular Opinion:
I just don't see the popularity / appeal in Dixie Kong. I know people have said to me that "Dixie is vastly different from Diddy" but I strongly disagree because
  • Diddy and Dixie's body shape are about the same
  • Diddy and Dixie's gait seems too similar
While Dixie has her ponytail that could make her in some way "unique", I still think those first two reasons are two huge let-downs for me to even want her included
I don't see how having similar body shapes is an issue when we have however many humanoid characters, many of which carry the same weapon as well. Dixie's hair is inherently a massive difference between them, everything she does in dkc revolves around her hair, her moveset would be based entirely around it.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I don't see how having similar body shapes is an issue when we have however many humanoid characters, many of which carry the same weapon as well. Dixie's hair is inherently a massive difference between them, everything she does in dkc revolves around her hair, her moveset would be based entirely around it.
I suppose, idk, i just don't think Dixie is that interesting as a character
Maybe it is just the gait that seems too similar to Diddy, idk, I just can't picture myself wanting Dixie over many other Smash Characters

Smartz

Smash Cadet
I suppose, idk, i just don't think Dixie is that interesting as a character
Maybe it is just the gait that seems too similar to Diddy, idk, I just can't picture myself wanting Dixie over many other Smash Characters
Two words,

Funky Kong

PixelSun

Smash Apprentice
New characters added into the roster. < Same roster with a complete rework of everyone in SM4SH

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
I get your take on this.
However, I doubt they would deliberately make K.Rool frustrating to fight against. And just having ONE projectile doesn't make a character a zoner.
King Dedede is a good example. His Gordo Throw isn't spamable, it has way too much lag and well... It is quite the situational move.
If K.Rool can be balanced adequately, there wouldn't be a problem. I think he'll face pretty much all the problems all the other heavies would face; very easy to combo and rack damage against.
The only thing I can do is base my predictions on how Rool's portrayed into the games, and if I'm not mistaken he has at least two iconic projectiles: his crown and the pirate gun.
Of course, I don't think HAL would want him to be toxic and frustrating, but what I do think is that they would make him as loyal as possible to the main source.

And, well, the main source is a giant crocodile that shoots multiple projectiles from afar and charges you afterwards, with some invisibility and rocket-jumps thrown into the mix.

Your points are reasonable and I agree, but I'm still worried of what could come up with a source material like Rool's.
But now I'm just repeating myself.

New characters added into the roster. < Same roster with a complete rework of everyone in SM4SH
Who do you think deserves a rework?

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Fire Emblem should only have two characters maximum.

Also Wario needs a complete revamp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Troykv

Smash Master
Fire Emblem should only have two characters maximum.

Also Wario needs a complete revamp.
So Marth and whatever is current like how the Pre-Smash 4 it was believe, right?

I'm not sure if the Wario thing is actually unpopular, I don't want a full revamp, because the moveset fits his quirky personality, but I would like to have some new powerful moves to reflect his two series.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
This may be over-the-top and annoying to the others but since I get KO'd over and over trying to accomplish a goal, I've been thinking of this idea:
If you're playing solo modes like Classic, All-Star, and Adventure mode, at the moment you get hit by an attack that puts you in a guaranteed KO situation (depending on how far you go and how much damage you've received), you hear a loud bang, the fight pauses and the camera zooms in on you at that moment. That'll make your defeat more dramatic.

Last edited:

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how unpopular this opinion is, or if it is unpopular at all but:
I didn't really like a lot of the new Final Smash Replacements in SSB4 most specifically Lucario's because Aura Storm was a really cool final smash and it got replaced with a lazy generic transformation.
Lucario really did not need a new final smash whatsoever. I'd rather have a new final smash for Sheik, Falco, Fox, Toon Link, etc.

Kirby's new final smash is iffy for me, I like both the old and new, but I think I like the cooking better because it was more unique but the new one is alright.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I don't know how unpopular this opinion is, or if it is unpopular at all but:
I didn't really like a lot of the new Final Smash Replacements in SSB4 most specifically Lucario's because Aura Storm was a really cool final smash and it got replaced with a lazy generic transformation.
Lucario really did not need a new final smash whatsoever. I'd rather have a new final smash for Sheik, Falco, Fox, Toon Link, etc.

Kirby's new final smash is iffy for me, I like both the old and new, but I think I like the cooking better because it was more unique but the new one is alright.
I totally agree. I'm not a huge fan of Mega evolution in general, and the transformation Final Smashes are not that interesting for me.

I'll add Ness's in here as well. The old starstorm wasn't controllable so you could dodge it, but the new one is basically Lucario's Aura Storm. Double after Lucas came in and has the same Final Smash - at least in Brawl the two had decent differences. Kirby's cooking was much more unique than the Sword one, and DDD's dance was really funny and memorable - I don't even remember his new one.

I'll also add Pit, but that's mainly because I dislike him and his series in general, and of course his Final Smash went from being a dodge-the-things to a really powerful series of arrow attacks leading to what almost amounted to Ness's old Smash. Seemed...a bit OP, which just plays into my disgust of that series being shoved in my face.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I don't hate Captain Falcon, in fact I think he's like one of my Top 15 Smash characters, but BY GOD is he too overhyped. "FALCON PUNCH, Knee of Justice, Show Me Your Moves!!!" GHAAA!!! Shut up shut up shut up!!!

?????????????

Smash Master
Jigglypuff should be cut.

Ganondorf should be completely overhauled.

Custom Moves should die.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'll also add Pit, but that's mainly because I dislike him and his series in general, and of course his Final Smash went from being a dodge-the-things to a really powerful series of arrow attacks leading to what almost amounted to Ness's old Smash. Seemed...a bit OP, which just plays into my disgust of that series being shoved in my face.
Pssst.

Here's a tip.

Get behind Pit. It becomes nearly useless.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
To me, all those fan ideas of overhauling Wario's moveset to represent Wario Land more all sound dumb.
Sure maybe he could take a few cues from Wario Land (such as his shoulder bash as a side Smash coming back), but this complete overhaul that often replaces the Wario Bike with the Shoulder Bash (???????????) is bad. Besides, Wario is already fine with his moveset that represents his actual personality more than anything

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd rather have Jigglypuff back than Mewtwo and/or Charizard(all 3 are preferred, mind you).

Custom Moves are honestly a great idea, just need better implementation.

Toad is the last main Mario series character I want. Waluigi I consider a spin-off option, mind you.

LunarOctopus

Smash Rookie
Please do not double post
Didn't see anything in the rules about only one post per person, so here's another post with more opinions I just thought of.
  • Ridley sounds like a boring character, and while I respect the fact that a lot of people want him, I personally don't care for him. And this comes from an avid fan of the Metroid series.
  • Clones are not a big deal, and Smash should keep them around to help bolster the roster's size.
  • Third-parties are a welcome addition to Smash Bros, and I'd be more than fine with Sakurai adding more of them.
  • While I agree that Sakurai needs to take a break from Smash for a long time, I wouldn't want him to pass the torch to someone else. This is a series that should only ever be made with Sakurai at the helm.
  • This one's quite the controversial opinion. While most meme-picks are stupid and should never be anywhere close to Smash... I wouldn't complain if they added Goku to this game.
Goku could have a pretty interesting move set, too. Up special being a move similar to Lucario's, standard special being a Ki blast, side special being a flurry of kicks and punches, and down special being a counter. smash attacks are pretty straight forward, and his Final Smash would be a big Kamehameha wave and while doing the animation he goes super Saiyan.

Clones are okay, and I wouldn't be upset if there were more
Add Goku
Remove custom moves pls
Add Goku
No more DLC, make every character part of the game (I'm broke I can't afford to buy more characters)
Add Goku
Please add Ribbon Girl or someone from ARMS
Add Goku
We don't need "reps" for every company there is.

And add Goku.

Mr. Buddy

Smash Cadet
I kinda want Hanenbow to come back just for the sake of letting Electroplankton have some representation as it didn't have any to whatsoever in 3DS/Wii U

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Whether a character wields a sword or not or is "anime" is irrelevant.

Swords are very popular weapons and are used ubiquitously countless games and as a Japanese developer, it's obvious you're going to see Japanese styled characters.

The primary discussion that should revolve around newcomers is what they can DO- their potential movesets and how popular they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom