• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Palutena should be an Assist Trophy(so Medusa is playable).

Giga Bowser should be his own separate character again, albeit a boss(in some way to play as bosses as a special mode using the Wii U Tablet, maybe? Or touch screen. Not a regular multiplayer match, of course. Giga Bowser doesn't need that like other bosses would benefit from it).

Ridley isn't big enough to be out. :p

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Pacman and Mii would be so stupid

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I'd only be happy with Pac-Man if he looked like he did in those 3D platformers, and not like he does in that crappy show designed to sell merch to kids

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd only be happy with Pac-Man if he looked like he did in those 3D platformers, and not like he does in that crappy show designed to sell merch to kids
Just to clarify, the Pac-Man that stars in The Ghostly Adventures is the original Pac-Man's son, or at least heavily implied in the show. The original character isn't there. It's not a redesign so much as a new person. In it, Pac-Man is a title.

Not a criticism, just noting you're talking about the wrong person, that's all. If you meant the original Pac-Man that's shown in the flashback, he doesn't look much different from his 3D games anyway. :awesome:

Now to continue on;

Pac-Man as an Assist Trophy/Special Flag item
Nightmare(Soul Calibur) as playable

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Not a criticism, just noting you're talking about the wrong person, that's all. If you meant the original Pac-Man that's shown in the flashback, he doesn't look much different from his 3D games anyway. :awesome:
Oh, thanks for telling me, I didn't know. Yeah that pretty much rules out the usage of that design I guess. I don't mean to publicly hate on anything someone likes either, but I just expressed the feeling I got when I saw a bit of it.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh, thanks for telling me, I didn't know. Yeah that pretty much rules out the usage of that design I guess. I don't mean to publicly hate on anything someone likes either, but I just expressed the feeling I got when I saw a bit of it.
Well, it doesn't rule it out, since Pac-Man is a title in that series. But it does make it seem unlikely, respectively.

And no problem. I like to help inform. :)

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I really only have one unpopular opinion aside from wanting all the characters that nobody else wants:

-I don't want Mewtwo back. He's always been one of my least favorite Pokemon(only beaten out by Ursaring and Electabuzz), and I'd much rather have Genesect, Deoxys, or really any other Pokemon. However, he completely deserves a spot on the roster. It's just that I don't really care for him at all.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
I prefer King K. Rool over Dixie Kong

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
-Ice Climbers were kind of arbitrary. A character to "represent the Famicom"? Just about all the other characters appeared on the Famicom at some point. Why represent it more with a mediocre stand-alone game no one remembers? I'd still be slightly sad to see them go, but I won't act like they're deserving of being in.

-I like Mr. Game & Watch, but I fully recognize if he was never added, I'd never request a character to represent the Game & Watch games and would probably have been fine with a different character in his place.

-I can't even pretend to be excited over Wii Fit Trainer and Greninja. I won't pretend to be excited over the Chorus Men either.

-Tangentially related, I really didn't like Kid Icarus: Uprising. They should have just called it "Kid Icarus: Smash Bros Cash-In". It's like Sakurai was so proud of the designs of Pit and Palutena in Brawl that he wanted to make a whole game featuring them, despite the game having virtually nothing to do with the original outside of character names and setting. It also gave the excuse to add more KI content in the next Smash game. I have no doubt he designed the Palutena fight specifically to give her moves when he makes her a Smash Bros. character.

-I don't believe for one second that Sakurai didn't want to make this game and that Iwata pressured him into it because he truly believes this is something only Sakurai can do. Game series change directors all the time without issue. Iwata is Sakurai's long-time friend who gave him his first job as a director despite him having zero qualifications to do so, and is once again doing a friend a favour by reserving him a job he's clearly become quite attached to.

-If they needed to have two versions of the game, they should have let someone new handle one of them. This is a missed opportunity. Not only would it be better to allocate time and resources better so the games do not suffer loss of quality, but it was a chance for a new director to show what they could do at the helm of a Smash game while still letting Sakurai have his job.

-My choice on whether or not to buy the game will actually, believe it or not, be based on whether the content I see before-hand looks adequately satisfying to me; not because I've bought the other Smash games in the past or to reward the developers for their hard work. Honestly, at this point it seems unlikely (I think the Sal/Gematsu leak is going to be very close to what we're getting, if not all) but I'll keep an eye out just in case there are some very good surprises waiting. I really can't stand people who act like its a point of pride that they'll buy the game no matter what. I thought fanboyism was something to be frowned upon.
I promise this isn't my alt, guys.

No really, I agree wholeheartedly with so much of this, it's not even funny.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I promise this isn't my alt, guys.

No really, I agree wholeheartedly with so much of this, it's not even funny.
I disagree with the first 3 points. However, I don't care about Chorus Men at all.

But yeah, having two unique Smashes on the 3DS and Wii U would make them far more fun to get. They're still awfully similar.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I don't want L-canceling to ever return.
As a Melee fan I actually agree with this. It was an unnecessary mechanic (I still want wavedashing to return though).

Hopefully areals have a lot less end lag to compensate for the lack of L-canceling if it doesn't return.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm actually kind of torn on L-cancelling. As someone who just recently got it down with Falco, part of me wants it back as it has merit. However, another part of me sees it as something that would be an unnecessary complication to put in again.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
As much it would be interesting, I really don't want wave-dashing back either. They're both more incline with Melee (and SSB for L-canceling) with familiarity. They were grown with it, so it make sense for them. Doesn't make sense to use an exploit and (a silly person in this forum said this) "tech barrier" when the game series is slowly improving its game-play each release.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I find Shulk vs. Isaac debates to be sad and pointless.
What similarities do they have? They're blond-haired swordsmen that come from RPGs; that's it. Why are people treating these two as if they are competing?
Shulk has potential thanks to his abilities with the Monado while Isaac has his potential with his psyenergy attacks. Their backstories are different, their situations in regards to Smash are different, and the gameplay between Xenoblade and Golden Sun is different.
I don't understand why these flame wars are occurring between both sides. If one gets in, the other one can too.

Kjellson

Smash Rookie
I really like all the Ridley gags and jokes among the Smash community. In fact, I enjoy them so much that I wouldn't mind if Ridley was never playable so we could still tell "Ridley is too big" jokes.

.Lucina

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5327-1598-3487
-I think that Miis would be pretty fun to play as, hopefully using your Nintendo ID Mii.
-I think Wolf should stay but Falco needs to leave.
-Meta Knight was ridiculously fun to play as and should not be cut.
-Stage Builder was fine in Brawl but improvements would be nice.

D

Deleted member

Lucina<<<<<Chrom
Pichu shoud be the only character
Mewtwo is too big
Bowser is too big

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
In my totally unbiased opinion. Falco is definitely the best character to ever appear in smash bros and there is no way he is getting cut.

Haters gonna hayte! :shades::falcomelee::falco:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'll never understand why Falco got in over Wolf in the first place.
It was actually because Falco stands out more visually.

At least, that's what Sakurai said.

Last edited:

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
Is the word entitled an appropriate adjective considering the fact that every one has to spend money to get this game i mean it be different if this was some free gift, some of you people seem like fox news viewers

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Eh, why not.
-I hate the idea of Jiggs getting cut, but wouldn't mind Pichu.
-Even with my optimism, I still think the lowered Pikmin count will have a negative effect on Olimar.
-I honestly could care less if Mewtwo's back. Sure, I understand he's a fan favorite. But I'm very indifferent about him.
-I've always thought that the best reps are the ones we don't expect, or even want.
-I'll support Miis as long as their they're own character.
-I still firmly believe that Squirtle and Ivysaur will come back. Even with the separation.
-The only "all star" character I don't mind is Isaac.
-And I'm still hoping on Poke Floats coming back.

At least, that's what Sakurai
He does "Sakurai" a lot doesn't he?

Last edited:

Jman0625

Smash Cadet
NNID
jman0625
3DS FC
1762-2784-3619
  • Don't want any character from Melee returning if they would take the place of any newcomers or Brawl veterans (yes even Snake)
  • I'm fine with Pac-Man (hopefully the World model as the new model gives me nightmares) and could tolerate Mii, but I'm very against it
  • I Want Isaac and Shulk over Chrom
  • I Want Dixie over K-Rool
  • Ness, Falcon, Jiggs are almost certainly in
  • I wouldn't mind Jiggs being cut but again^^
  • I Want Ray (Custom Robo) to be playable but most likely is still an AT
  • I Want Chibi Robo and Masked Man/Claus
  • Can't wait to see Chorus men if true
  • Don't care about Ridley but sympathize with his(?) fans
*sighs*
I Want Bandana Dee playable

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I really like all the Ridley gags and jokes among the Smash community. In fact, I enjoy them so much that I wouldn't mind if Ridley was never playable so we could still tell "Ridley is too big" jokes.
My opinion is the opposite. Barring the occasional creative gem, Ridley jokes are tedious and hackneyed, and have been for years. They're the Smash fanbase equivalent of making a poop or fart joke, where the punchline is nothing more than "Ha ha, he's big/it's poop/it's a fart."

...now that I think about it, a lot of Ridley detractors fit right in with poop/fart aficionados in how they like to discuss the size of their subject at great length. A match made in heaven if there ever was one.

Maybe the TooBigots ought to see if Dreamworks can work a few Ridley jokes into Shrek 5?

Last edited:

Luke4496

Smash Rookie
My unpopular opinions? Oh boy I'm gonna be hated forever but here I go!

1. I hate pretty much every character everyone on this board suggests as a playable character. That means Ridley, King K. Rool, Toad(seriously WHY), etc.

2. I love the roster and think 45-50 is a perfect number... However...

3. I think Pokemon should only have 3 reps, that being Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Greninja.

4. I think the Mother series should only have 1 rep being Ness. I could go on with all the series but I won't.

5. Every character that was in Melee and returned in Brawl should also be in Smash 4.

6. I think ROB should return.

7. I think wacky additions like Wii Fit Trainer and Villager are awesome ideas and Sakurai should continue with this trend. Popular characters are overrated.

8. Wolf should be cut(not really sure if this is unpopular but whatever)

9. I think most veterans are going to feel a bit bland compared to the newcomers.

10. Items are amazing and I think they make the game more competitive in the long run.

11. The original 12 mean everything.

*Bonus* I think the Smash series gets better with each game.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'd welcome second, third and more reps for third party franchises as long as they were just as iconic as their leading character and had been on a Nintendo system or were at most important to Nintendo history,

I like Dixie and K. Rool both and think both should get in.

I think the series needs more obscure characters, as well as characters with wacky playstyles, even if it means pulling reps from things people might see as potential silly such as Style Savvy, Pilot Wings, Rhythm Heaven, Elite Beat Agents, Cooking Mama, Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, etc.

I think we need more Mario characters and would gladly accept them. Bowser Jr, Toad, and Waluigi. As well as opening up a separate icon for the RPG series for Paper Mario, Geno, Fawful, Count Bleck, etc.

Tingle would be a worthy addition the playable roster. Much more so than any other potential Zelda newcomer.

Falco should be cut from the roster. A visual stand out he may be, but he's an unnecessary rep for a series that at most should have two reps (the star and the villain.)

Medusa is overrated and should not be add to the playable roster over Palutena or Hades.

I'd actually be okay with the Smash series having it's own rep at some point. (But please god not Sandbag)

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
I hate K. Rool. You have to be nuts if you actually like that awfully designed obese crocodile with a disgusting busted eye. Liking K. Rool is probably a case of taking a DKC SNES cartridge directly to the head.

They should add Krystal, she has a lot more unique character potential than most of the suggestions here.

I don't particularly care about keeping up a quota for villains or female characters. If the ten best characters to play as were all male protagonists, I would have dealt with it just fine.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
  • IMHO, if Miis were playable, I would most likely expect them to function like Metal does in Sonic Championship. Ya know, a deliberate copy of moves from everyone else (Special attacks excluded)? I could see that being surprisingly viable in tourneys, not to mention really wacky.
  • There's only one third-party (Besides Pac-Man)/indie character I find viable that isn't confirmed, and her name starts with S.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom