• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Opinion on Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunnyD-Pad

Smash Rookie
Just to be clear, this is just my opinion, I know it could be some controversial but I don't care, maybe you don't agree but at least respect my opinion as much as I do, because if you want your opinion to be respected than respect others opinion.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate is not the greatest game ever made, I can agree that the mechanics are better than previous entries, I really like the competitive scene of the game, it's actually pretty fun to play, I would consider Smash one of the few games that I actually have fun playing the competitive which is a really good thing, but playing online is horrible, I'm not going to details with that point because probably we can all agree with this but what about the offline modes, besides of Classic mode which is the best version that have being made in every Smash game, it really lacks a lot of features that previous games offered us like Break the Targets, Home-Run Contest, Board the Platforms and Race to the Finish which they were iconic and really fun to play. World of Light is the biggest disappointment that I have ever played, it's monotonous and annoying since it actually involves zero skill to beat the enemy, if its to easy you don't feel satisfied with the result since your dexterity wasn't tested but when it's too hard you feel they added artificial difficulty and when you beat him most of the times was pure luck because the enemy made a bad decision that ended up being defeated. On Subspace Emissary there were original stages, awesome cutscenes all the time, an epic story, unique enemies and bosses, something that World of Light lacks on and they utilized stages that they're already available from the normal game, it actually feels more like Event mode with a map. The Spirits are just a fancy way to say stickers, because that what it is, that's why Sakurai said that were the replacement of the trophies I got mad because he was trying to fool me, they are stickers, they have the same functionality of the stickers from Brawl, he also said it would took him a lot of time to design 3d models for the trophies which just proves that he rushed the production of the game just to release fast so he can cash in on holiday season, Spirits lacks the value of the trophies since they lack of the information of the character, they are images from already existed designs, it seems that Sakurai decided download a lot of .png or .jpg from Google Images and put it on the game and done, for me that's being lazy for part of Sakurai. Speaking of laziness All Stars mode was degraded as just a submode of Multiman Smash which it really sucks because All Stars was a unique mode, a really fun one and worth playing for the trophies that you use to get. The fact that the game only has 6 newcomers and 4 new stages just shows how lazy Sakurai has become and I don't like when he says, I need a break, I have been working for so long, he needs to shut up because this contradicts himself, it's secure to put all the characters and almost all the stages from previous games since most of the fans wont be bothering with saying that they want back some characters but in my opinion I value more the original content than recycled content, I'm not saying is not a bad thing to have all the characters back, is just bringing more newcomers and stages would be better.

Overall, Super Smash Bros Ultimate is fun to play with friends and competitive but it sucks on other aspects of the game that only shows how lazy and greedy Sakurai has become and how conformists are the Super Smash Bros and Nintendo community.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Reworking every single character in the series to fit in a new Smash game along with touching up on dozens of old stages is considered lazy? Think outside the box; it was either get a crapload of characters or your precious figures back. This is gonna be a one-time only thing, anyway.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Adding in characters in a game like Smash is less like addition and more like multiplication in terms of work. Every character they ad has to also work with character gimmicks (Kirby's hat, snake's choke hold grab, etc.) And every character also has to work with any gimmicks that new character brings. That's before all the legal work, balancing,and the nightmare that was bug testing all the characters and stages.

The trophies were fluff (and a lot of the models were just ripped from their original game.) The time they saved was probably more on not having pages of flavor text to localize.

Games are the only medium where consumers exspect the sequels to not only be better, but also much bigger-more content. It is actually getting to a point where the industry can't keep up- DLC becomes one of the only ways to make back the costs of development, devs are overworked and underpaid (compared to their software dev manufacturers.)
We don't expect sequels of movies to be twice as long or books to be twice as long, so why exspect the same of games? A game the scope of Smash is pretty insane especially considering the dev time. I don't think you understand game development and the industry that well (not saying I am an expert) but ultimate isn't a lazy port (and ultimate isn't really my cup of tea- I can still appreciate the amount of work went into it.)

Xphooni

Smash Apprentice
Just to be clear, this is just my opinion, I know it could be some controversial but I don't care, maybe you don't agree but at least respect my opinion as much as I do, because if you want your opinion to be respected than respect others opinion.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate is not the greatest game ever made, I can agree that the mechanics are better than previous entries, I really like the competitive scene of the game, it's actually pretty fun to play, I would consider Smash one of the few games that I actually have fun playing the competitive which is a really good thing, but playing online is horrible, I'm not going to details with that point because probably we can all agree with this but what about the offline modes, besides of Classic mode which is the best version that have being made in every Smash game, it really lacks a lot of features that previous games offered us like Break the Targets, Home-Run Contest, Board the Platforms and Race to the Finish which they were iconic and really fun to play. World of Light is the biggest disappointment that I have ever played, it's monotonous and annoying since it actually involves zero skill to beat the enemy, if its to easy you don't feel satisfied with the result since your dexterity wasn't tested but when it's too hard you feel they added artificial difficulty and when you beat him most of the times was pure luck because the enemy made a bad decision that ended up being defeated. On Subspace Emissary there were original stages, awesome cutscenes all the time, an epic story, unique enemies and bosses, something that World of Light lacks on and they utilized stages that they're already available from the normal game, it actually feels more like Event mode with a map. The Spirits are just a fancy way to say stickers, because that what it is, that's why Sakurai said that were the replacement of the trophies I got mad because he was trying to fool me, they are stickers, they have the same functionality of the stickers from Brawl, he also said it would took him a lot of time to design 3d models for the trophies which just proves that he rushed the production of the game just to release fast so he can cash in on holiday season, Spirits lacks the value of the trophies since they lack of the information of the character, they are images from already existed designs, it seems that Sakurai decided download a lot of .png or .jpg from Google Images and put it on the game and done, for me that's being lazy for part of Sakurai. Speaking of laziness All Stars mode was degraded as just a submode of Multiman Smash which it really sucks because All Stars was a unique mode, a really fun one and worth playing for the trophies that you use to get. The fact that the game only has 6 newcomers and 4 new stages just shows how lazy Sakurai has become and I don't like when he says, I need a break, I have been working for so long, he needs to shut up because this contradicts himself, it's secure to put all the characters and almost all the stages from previous games since most of the fans wont be bothering with saying that they want back some characters but in my opinion I value more the original content than recycled content, I'm not saying is not a bad thing to have all the characters back, is just bringing more newcomers and stages would be better.

Overall, Super Smash Bros Ultimate is fun to play with friends and competitive but it sucks on other aspects of the game that only shows how lazy and greedy Sakurai has become and how conformists are the Super Smash Bros and Nintendo community.
You do realize that months of work and effort went into this game, right? Sakurai most likely kept the same ridiculously taxing work schedule he has had with every past game. What you don't seem to understand is that's there is still hours of work that goes into re-adding a character from earlier in the franchise, there are several stages of development that every character goes through regardless of whether they are new or old; designing/re-designing move, sketching for modeler and animators, programming, modeling, animating, play testing, re balancing and play testing again. Porting a past character is not as simple as you seem to think.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I get it's an opinion, but I think some of this is just flawed. You're getting the wrong idea with what you believe is Sakurai being lazy and greedy. The man who doesn't like to make sequels and stating he was done with making smash since Melee is greedy. Yes the exclusion of trophies is a bummer and I'll give you that, but spirits arguably holds up more than trophies gameplay wise and they are done way better than stickers even if the concepts are similar.

WoL can be opinionated for sure and it's not for everyone, same reason why subspace isn't for everyone either. I'll make the case of the difficulty argument is that if things are too hard and it's because of the artificial difficulty, you're in the ballpark but at the same time you have to treat WoL as more of an RPG and so you'll need to find strong spirits to make things easier along with using the skill tree. Things can be way too hard if you're not equipped for it and for the ones that you have to completely cheese, are still a very few and I don't think it even adds up to 1% of the battles. And for easier battles you can always handicap yourself and the game rewards you more for it.

As for all star, there's over 70 fighters. That alone is an issue if we have to follow the old school rules. With Melee and Brawl's size of the roster it was fine then, smash 4 is where people started complaining that the roster is now making the game more like multi man smash because of how easy they were flying. Now it literally is a multi man smash mode and there's not much you could do about it because again, the size of the roster. I'm not a fan of this mode either but in no way would I find the reason for this is to be lazy.

The stages and characters statement is bizarre with how you word it. It's basically implying that Sakurai ported over 99 stages and 50+ characters when the last smash game only has 55 stages so the rest had to be recreated and even with the previous game's stages, they were touched up again for this game and it shows. I can make a similar case for the characters too in this regard. Absolutely in no way would I ever agree that this was lazy for Sakurai.

And for the Sakurai break bit, he is willing to injure himself and keep on going when making these games. He's totally in line to make the comments that he needs a break. You have to realize the work he puts in while also having a deadline in which he doesn't have control over either, which is why trophies had to be cut. It's not for him to be greedy to cash in during the holidays but he makes priorities over other things to get the most of what he can do in the game.

And here's a little side note about the missing modes. Yes, you're right that it is lacking, but to he fair, board the platforms was only in one game and break the targets were fading away since Brawl. From lacking specific character levels from brawl to making an angry birds clone in 4, I can't blame Ultimate for not delivering on targets as other games didn't do so well on that department. But hey, we at least have that minigame where it kind of is like race to the finish. Now home-run I could get by with and it's still weird how it was cut considering it would be the easiest mode to implement and probably could have ported that mode over, which would've made it even easier.

Again it's your opinion, but I feel like some of these points were inconsiderate with how development in general works. It's fine to critique a game, but stating it's lazy without any real evidence or reasoning is another thing and sounds ignorant.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
"Sakurai and his team working themselves to almost death to put in 72 characters = Lazy."
"Smashers are conformists."
Weird flex but OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom