• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Opinion: Many 3rd party picks are unfitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Title.

Master Chief, Solaire of Astora, Doomguy, and the Dragonborn simply do not belong in Smash. Yes, they've pushed it before with characters like Snake and Cloud but I think they need to tone it down with the ridiculous 3rd party characters. It seems that now people are concerned with the most iconic 3rd party characters of gaming getting into Smash but that shouldn't be the focus. It should be iconic 3rd party characters that have significance with Nintendo. At the end of the day, Smash is about Nintendo and not gaming as a whole. Also, characters just now getting Switch ports don't deserve a spot in Smash. It doesn't make them deserving or likely at all.

Good 3rd Party Choices (IMO):
Banjo & Kazooie - Better fitting Microsoft character than Master Chief with actual Nintendo history.
Rayman - I'd rather have him than a Rabbid.
Simon Belmont - Why isn't he in already? Oh, yeah... Konami.
Terra Branford - Cloud is the most iconic Final Fantasy character no doubt but FFVI is one of the highest rated Nintendo games of all time so I think it would be great if Terra could accompany Cloud in Smash Switch (considering he returns). I'm biased toward her and she's definitely less known than other characters here but FFVI is still one of the most loved Nintendo games ever and Terra has actually made appearances in recent games like the Dissidia series and World of Final Fantasy.
Tails - Sonic has been in Smash for so long it's about time he gets a second character to join him.
Indie character - I've never played Shovel Knight, I barely played Cave Story, and I don't like Undertale at all but you can't deny that these characters were influenced heavily from Nintendo. A lot of people seem to want an indie character so I say sure.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Now, I'm not a big fan of the Bandicoot, but wasn't he pretty much Playstation's Sonic during a time where Nintendo and Sony were major rivals(N64 era)?

He's notably also appeared on five Nintendo consoles to date, which honestly makes him as much a Nintendo character as Cloud at this point. Interestingly that's as many Nintendo consoles as Sony ones. Never thought I'd see that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also, characters just now getting Switch ports don't deserve a spot in Smash. It doesn't make them deserving or likely at all.
Good 3rd Party Choices (IMO):
Sans
So....Crash is a terrible pick despite being on Nintendo systems many times before N. Sane Trilogy's port and being the third rival to Mario and Sonic back when it was Nintendo vs. Sega vs. Sony.....
Yet Sans, who literally just got a Switch port despite you saying such characters don't deserve a spot.....is considered a good 3rd Party choice.

If you're going to make these kinds of threads (which are against the rules), at LEAST show some consistency and don't make yourself look like a fool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
So....Crash is a terrible pick despite being on Nintendo systems many times before N. Sane Trilogy's port and being the third rival to Mario and Sonic back when it was Nintendo vs. Sega vs. Sony.....
Yet Sans, who literally just got a Switch port despite you saying such characters don't deserve a spot.....is considered a good 3rd Party choice.

If you're going to make these kinds of threads (which are against the rules), at LEAST show some consistency and don't make yourself look like a fool.
My point with the indie characters was that you could think of them as Nintendo's legacy. They were in part inspired by Nintendo's work. I'm not sure if Crash having GBA appearances means much since every character was on GBA prior to there being any competition in the handheld market.

Also, you may disagree but I don't see how this is against the rules. I'm trying to express my opinion and I'm not doing it with the intent of hurting anybody or being rude.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
...everyone has different opinions, and is hypocritical in their own way. I normally dislike all 3rd parties besides Sonic since Smash is a Nintendo all-star series, but I wouldn’t complain in the slightest if Dragonborn got in.

There definitely are loads of fan-made ‘rules’ that hold no weight. Some people want recognizable characters that have never seen a Nintendo release, some people want indies who 99% of casual gamers have never heard of, etc.

Besides, some of Smash’s characters (Snake, Cloud, Bayonetta) seem at odds with the rules we’ve made up anyway.

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
Well, Crash has a history in Nintendo platforms besides the N Sane Trilogy for Switch

Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex (2001)
Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure (XS in PAL regions) (2002)
Crash Nitro Kart (2003)
Crash Bandicoot Purple: Ripto's Rampage (Fusion in PAL regions) (2004)
Crash Tag Team Racing (2005)
Crash Boom Bang (2006)
Crash of the Titans (2007)
Crash: Mind Over Mutant (2008)

Maybe they're not as important as the first 3 games, but they're part of the franchise

And he would fit very well among Nintendo characters, Crash is exactly the kind of character Sakurai choose for third-party representation

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Crash is no more "unfitting" than Sonic himself.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I also never said that being on a Nintendo console was a requirement. That rule has already been broken. A recent Switch port just isn't a sign towards a character being likely like some people seem to think it is.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I also never said that being on a Nintendo console was a requirement. That rule has already been broken. A recent Switch port just isn't a sign towards a character being likely like some people seem to think it is.
It absolutely hasn't been broken. Every character in Smash has been on a Nintendo system prior to their confirmation.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'm no fan of the bandicoot myself, but there's no denying that Crash has more history with Nintendo that Rayman, Terra, and especially the indie picks. With that said, we already have characters with little-to-no connection, nor influence, on Nintendo already included in the series (ie Cloud). So we know "Nintendo history" isn't a major factor in comparison to uniqueness, iconicness, and popularity.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I can definitely relate to you. I don't want any indie characters in Smash. Or Square Enix. I can easily see Dragonborn Vs. Kirby though. I was hesitant on the character originally but, he'd work. We all have personal ways how we want out Smashes. I ultimately want my Smash to attain tradition of Nintendo purity but, its evolving and I can see that in some ways.

It all comes down to how much you like or dislike said character. If you have a certain dislike for a character, you don't want them in. Characters you like, you want them in. Their Thee! exception.

The affect.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
It absolutely hasn't been broken. Every character in Smash has been on a Nintendo system prior to their confirmation.
I don't think Cloud being in Kingdom Hearts for GBA counts since he's there for Final Fantasy.

This thread:
-assumes that Doomguy, Dragonborn, and Dark Souls guy are the communities big choices
-uses it's own fan rules
-implies that other people's opinions are invalid
-says that characters that "just got a switch port" shouldnt be in (even when crash has been on nintendo consoles for YEARS) and then uses Sans . . .who is in the same scenario

:061:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I'm no fan of the bandicoot myself, but there's no denying that Crash has more history with Nintendo that Rayman, Terra, and especially the indie picks. With that said, we already have characters with little-to-no connection, nor influence, on Nintendo already included in the series (ie Cloud). So we know "Nintendo history" isn't a major factor in comparison to uniqueness, iconicness, and popularity.
I think Final Fantasy VI is more important than all the games Crash has been in on Nintendo but that's my view of it.

D

Deleted member

The Switch port of N. Sane Trilogy isn't why Crash is a potential option.
All that Switch port does is reaffirm that he is one after people took the PlayStation-exclusive nature of the release to mean he isn't one for some reason.

What makes Crash a potential option is the fact he's a popular gaming icon that has had fan support for Smash for a while now, even when he seemed to be in a "coma" of sorts. Just like Mega Man prior to his own Smash reveal.
It'd been just like if this came out prior to Smash 4's reveal.

People would be talking about Mega Man a lot more than before much like N. Sane Trilogy makes Crash talk more frequent, but it wouldn't be because of the game that made him likely to show up in the first place.

I don't think Cloud being in Kingdom Hearts for GBA counts since he's there for Final Fantasy.
There's the Theatrhythm games and Final Fantasy Explorers.

He hasn't had the strongest Nintendo presence, but he has had Nintendo presence.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sakurai says otherwise. He said he'd have had misgivings if he wasn't in Kingdom Hearts and Theaterhythm.

Morbi

Scavenger
I have no idea what the **** you are talking about. The only community pick you are against is Crash, other than that, this community clearly wants Rayman/Rabbids, an indie "S" (Shovel Knight, Shantae, Steve... I guess Sans), and Banjo Kazooie, even if most people believe it is unlikely to happen. I have seen more support for Bomberman/Simon Belmont than the rest of your list (not including Crash) combined. Perhaps it is just MY perspective that is rogue? But, I have the same opinion as you, the characters are just the opposite. I do not want to see any of the likely characters outside of Crash. Why? Because, unlike all the other names you listed, he actually has star-power.

I bring up Goku and get laughed at, but none of these cats want to admit that Goku could trump both lists on his own. My ***** fierce.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Goku pales in comparison to another character from an outside medium franchise whose name starts with "Go" and is known for powerful beams of energy.

And unlike Goku, this character I'm talking about has only one company to negotiate with (meaning he'd be far easier to include) and is a much bigger worldwide icon.
:p

Everybody wasting their time with Goku when they could instead rally for someone who would be far less "impossible". :awesome:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Goku pales in comparison to another character from an outside medium franchise whose name starts with "Go" and is known for powerful beams of energy.

And unlike Goku, this character I'm talking about has only one company to negotiate with (meaning he'd be far easier to include) and is a much bigger worldwide icon.
:p

Everybody wasting their time with Goku when they could instead rally for someone who would be far less "impossible". :awesome:
...who would this be then?

StormC

Smash Hero
I feel baited just reading this thread.

Also people overhype Simon. He's a complete non-entity outside of Castlevania fans. Even Cloud is way more of a mascot.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Clearly he means Goofy.
If that is the route you are going, might as well use Mickey Mouse to be honest. The only real difference is people actually want to play as Goku. Goofy, while an icon, is a character I would not even want to play in Kingdom Hearts.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
These discussion are all boring and meaningless. None of you are Sakurai, none of you get to say who "deserves" and who "doesn't belong". Just want who you want and hope they get in, and if they don't get in it's not because they don't deserve it.

Morbi

Scavenger
These discussion are all boring and meaningless. None of you are Sakurai, none of you get to say who "deserves" and who "doesn't belong". Just want who you want and hope they get in, and if they don't get in it's not because they don't deserve it.
Opinion is in the thread title, mate. Perhaps you are missing the point of a forum where people come to speculate about the game they enjoy playing. Let us just say that literally everyone here is not the odd one out, yeah? If you are bored, by all means, go elsewhere.

Btw Goku deserves to be in Smash.

D

Deleted member

...who would this be then?
Clearly he means Goofy.
If that is the route you are going, might as well use Mickey Mouse to be honest. The only real difference is people actually want to play as Goku. Goofy, while an icon, is a character I would not even want to play in Kingdom Hearts.
Goofy's known for firing powerful beams of destruction? :p
Maybe it would have been more obvious if I said the character was also of Japanese origin. :V

And no, I'm not joking; Godzilla is much more possible than Goku.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Goofy's known for firing powerful beams of destruction? :p
Maybe it would have been more obvious if I said the character was also of Japanese origin. :V

And no, I'm not joking; Godzilla is much more possible than Goku.
Never ever going to happen, Godzilla is too

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
Opinion is in the thread title, mate. Perhaps you are missing the point of a forum where people come to speculate about the game they enjoy playing. Let us just say that literally everyone here is not the odd one out, yeah? If you are bored, by all means, go elsewhere.

Btw Goku deserves to be in Smash.
I've seen this discussion a thousand times and it always ends the same way. If this somehow still entertains you then my apologies, maybe you just haven't seen this play out as many times as I have.

I think Goku would be great! I love seeing Smash break it's boundaries!

D

Deleted member

Never ever going to happen, Godzilla is too
big?

Let me ask you something.

Is Olimar bigger than he should be?

Or is everyone else smaller?

It's all a matter of perspective.

When interacting with aspects of the Pikmin universe, Olimar is normal while everyone else is much smaller than they should be in comparison.
When Olimar interacts with aspects outside the Pikmin franchise, Olimar is a giant while everyone else is "normal".

The reverse would be with Godzilla when it comes to a hypothetical Smash appearance.
Everyone is kaiju-sized within his universe, while Godzilla would be "small" outside it as if it were a man in a rubber suit.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I feel baited just reading this thread.

Also people overhype Simon. He's a complete non-entity outside of Castlevania fans. Even Cloud is way more of a mascot.
So, would Castlevania’s Dracula float your boat then, or Alucard maybe? Can’t tell me at least ****ing Dracula isn’t a known entity outside of Castlevania. People just gravitate to Simon more because of being the original protagonist.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
This thread will now be locked. This topic doesn't warrant it's own threads and can easily be discussed in multiple other threads. Newcomer Speculation is a good place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom