• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nintendo "Off My Chest" thread (BE CIVIL)

Quillion

Smash Hero
Skyward Sword was a great Zelda game, that even though it was messy at points , it's still undefeated in terms of story, variations in items and their usage and upgradability throughout the game, dungeons and boss battles. It's not exactly a graphical artwork as Wind Waker or Twilight Princess where, but it had many things I wish Breath of the Wild had.
Bruh, SS's story comes across as Link's allies overly complicating his journey, only sometimes with the thin justification of having to "test him" and other times by sheer accident.

Bombs are still useless for anything other than broken walls due to it following the "time detonation" system, the Gust Bellows can't do anything other than blow on pinwheels and piles of dirt, the Whip can't do anything other than pull "loop switches", and Bow is gotten way too late in the game to get any mileage.

The dungeons are decent at worst as smaller variants of the classic dungeon formula, but really, dungeons alone can't carry a Zelda game (a well-designed world can though).

Speaking of Zelda, there's objectively no "best Zelda" as all games take a drastically different approach ever since Ocarina of Time. So a "best Zelda" all comes down to taste, as the Zelda games differentiated a lot ever since OoT, which is both a good and a bad thing.
I mean, I do appreciate how each Zelda game even at their worst have tried to be different from one another, but "drastically" is a bit of a stretch. Relying on sword, shield, bow, bombs, and hookshot alongside the two-act structure needed to go; there's only so much they could do relying on the "common items" and two sets of dungeons.

Retro Studios should've been more ambitious with Donkey Kong and shouldn't take so many different projects and instead just master one IP they could make steady releases for.

In general, Donkey Kong as an IP has never been shown the right attention and respect. Even in the days of Rare, it was clear they prioritized their own projects over Donkey Kong after DKC2, sure DKC3 and DK64 where great games but they lack the polish and ambition of the first two platform games. Shameful to see Retro follow their footsteps. Making PAON the only developer who was ever fully committed to the series. This is also mainly the fault of Nintendo and not taking things in hand themselves as soon as they could.

I wish many more Nintendo IPs got the honest but simply approach the Kirby series have. Steady releases for a steady audience with a main development team. Mario, Zelda and Pokemon got this too but it's more understandable with these as they're huge series. But the Kirby approach should really be an end goal for Nintendo's lesser known yet popular series.
Having a team work on one IP year after year after year will bore them and lead to turnover.

I still don't really know that "the right attention and respect" even means to Donkey Kong fans. Regularly releasing platform games that follow the same general format will stagnate the series, and doing that alongside releasing spin-offs is unrealistic for a relatively small Mario sub-franchise.

Even Kirby started to face the problem with stagnation with Star Allies; we were just lucky HAL merely designated Star Allies as the "grand finale" of the 2D Kirby games and were already making plans for the future even during SA's development.

I think a large part of it is that while a lot of Nintendo franchises have had consistent development teams, Donkey Kong has changed hands so many times. That, in turn, leads to each team basically starting from scratch so they can find their footing, and for one reason or another they tend to not stick to the series for long.

Like, Super Mario games and the Zelda games have their own dedicated in-house Nintendo teams. Splatoon and Animal Crossing share a development team that basically trades off between titles, letting them both be released at a nice pace. The Mario Kart team also did ARMS but is otherwise a dedicated Mario Kart team. Monolith Soft consistently makes new Xenoblade games when they're not providing assistance as hired hands for other Nintendo projects. HAL Labs can consistently make Kirby games because those and the BOXBOY games are basically all they make. Intelligent Systems consistently makes not only Fire Emblem games, but also Paper Mario and WarioWare titles, albeit those two at a slower pace than their main bread and butter. Next Level Games has also been, in my opinion, knocking it out of the park with Luigi's Mansion. And Pokémon is basically its own self-sustaining machine.

Now granted, I don't think Retro has any ill will toward the series whatsoever. If they did, it would likely show in the finished products, but DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze definitely had passion poured into them. They've just been busy with other projects for a long while now (their presumably cancelled at this point New IP, and now Metroid Prime 4). And honestly I don't fault them for focusing on Prime 4, since they were the developers of the entire mainline Prime series.
I'm in favor of Nintendo farming their IP out to indie developers, or even mid-size studios or big publishers so they can make spin-offs. I think Nintendo can stand to put together another EPD team, but this team should be dedicated to remakes and remasters of their older games.

Donkey Kong has changed hands...a lot. Started in the arcade with the originals done by Nintendo in-house, then Rare for the Country series and 64, then (I think) back to in-house Nintendo for Jungle Beat, then Paon for Jungle Climber and King of Swing, until finally going to Retro for the newer Country games. This could go one of two ways. They could have Retro make another new DK game once Prime 4 is done, further cementing Retro as their go-to for Donkey Kong, or have it continue to change hands and be caught in a cycle of not knowing what to do next. The latter was the unfortunate fate of F-Zero and Star Fox, with Miyamoto even saying that outsourced titles like Star Fox Adventures and Assault, as well as F-Zero GX, were internally recognized as failures and cautionary tales for outsourcing. And since then we've not gotten a new F-Zero game in 18 years (19 if you don't count the Japan-only Climax) and the only truly new Star Fox game, Zero, is regarded as the most maligned entry in the franchise.

However, if Retro returns to it, it could end up, instead, like 2D Metroid, which seemingly has a very bright future after Mercury Steam released Samus Returns and Dread did very well.
Huh, I guess that explains why Nintendo continues to be very cautious about outsourcing. They seemed to be more open to external collabs towards the end of the Wii U era and beginning of the Switch era because they were letting a whole bunch of studios handle their IPs: Koei Tecmo with Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors, Ubisoft with Mario + Rabbids, Brace Yourself with Cadence of Hyrule, and Bandai Namco with Pokkén and New Pokémon Snap. Things just slowed down after that.

I feel like not only Donkey Kong, but also Wario and F-Zero have potential as being handled by outside studios, but Nintendo will need to learn to be less strict with their IP for that to happen.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't like the idea of Nintendo buying up a ton of studios but...

Mercury Steam.

Nintendo would be a fool not to grab them.

And Nintendo should have bought Alpha Dream. Their bankruptcy doesn't seem like it's their fault.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I don't like the idea of Nintendo buying up a ton of studios but...

Mercury Steam.

Nintendo would be a fool not to grab them.

And Nintendo should have bought Alpha Dream. Their bankruptcy doesn't seem like it's their fault.
I think Mercury Steam has a future doing Metroidvanias either of their homegrown creations or from outside IPs. I even think they could handle the classic Castlevania continuity after doing the LoS timeline.

So I'd say no to that acquisition.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Skyward Sword was a great Zelda game, that even though it was messy at points , it's still undefeated in terms of story, variations in items and their usage and upgradability throughout the game, dungeons and boss battles. It's not exactly a graphical artwork as Wind Waker or Twilight Princess where, but it had many things I wish Breath of the Wild had.

Speaking of Zelda, there's objectively no "best Zelda" as all games take a drastically different approach ever since Ocarina of Time. So a "best Zelda" all comes down to taste, as the Zelda games differentiated a lot ever since OoT, which is both a good and a bad thing.

Retro Studios should've been more ambitious with Donkey Kong and shouldn't take so many different projects and instead just master one IP they could make steady releases for.

In general, Donkey Kong as an IP has never been shown the right attention and respect. Even in the days of Rare, it was clear they prioritized their own projects over Donkey Kong after DKC2, sure DKC3 and DK64 where great games but they lack the polish and ambition of the first two platform games. Shameful to see Retro follow their footsteps. Making PAON the only developer who was ever fully committed to the series. This is also mainly the fault of Nintendo and not taking things in hand themselves as soon as they could.

I wish many more Nintendo IPs got the honest but simply approach the Kirby series have. Steady releases for a steady audience with a main development team. Mario, Zelda and Pokemon got this too but it's more understandable with these as they're huge series. But the Kirby approach should really be an end goal for Nintendo's lesser known yet popular series.
The main reason why kirby gets steady Releases is that its HALs only bigger Series!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think a large part of it is that while a lot of Nintendo franchises have had consistent development teams, Donkey Kong has changed hands so many times. That, in turn, leads to each team basically starting from scratch so they can find their footing, and for one reason or another they tend to not stick to the series for long.

Like, Super Mario games and the Zelda games have their own dedicated in-house Nintendo teams. Splatoon and Animal Crossing share a development team that basically trades off between titles, letting them both be released at a nice pace. The Mario Kart team also did ARMS but is otherwise a dedicated Mario Kart team. Monolith Soft consistently makes new Xenoblade games when they're not providing assistance as hired hands for other Nintendo projects. HAL Labs can consistently make Kirby games because those and the BOXBOY games are basically all they make. Intelligent Systems consistently makes not only Fire Emblem games, but also Paper Mario and WarioWare titles, albeit those two at a slower pace than their main bread and butter. Next Level Games has also been, in my opinion, knocking it out of the park with Luigi's Mansion. And Pokémon is basically its own self-sustaining machine.

Now granted, I don't think Retro has any ill will toward the series whatsoever. If they did, it would likely show in the finished products, but DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze definitely had passion poured into them. They've just been busy with other projects for a long while now (their presumably cancelled at this point New IP, and now Metroid Prime 4). And honestly I don't fault them for focusing on Prime 4, since they were the developers of the entire mainline Prime series.

Donkey Kong has changed hands...a lot. Started in the arcade with the originals done by Nintendo in-house, then Rare for the Country series and 64, then (I think) back to in-house Nintendo for Jungle Beat, then Paon for Jungle Climber and King of Swing, until finally going to Retro for the newer Country games. This could go one of two ways. They could have Retro make another new DK game once Prime 4 is done, further cementing Retro as their go-to for Donkey Kong, or have it continue to change hands and be caught in a cycle of not knowing what to do next. The latter was the unfortunate fate of F-Zero and Star Fox, with Miyamoto even saying that outsourced titles like Star Fox Adventures and Assault, as well as F-Zero GX, were internally recognized as failures and cautionary tales for outsourcing. And since then we've not gotten a new F-Zero game in 18 years (19 if you don't count the Japan-only Climax) and the only truly new Star Fox game, Zero, is regarded as the most maligned entry in the franchise.

However, if Retro returns to it, it could end up, instead, like 2D Metroid, which seemingly has a very bright future after Mercury Steam released Samus Returns and Dread did very well.
Donkey Kong HAS changed hands way too often indeed. But what I don't understand is why Nintendo themselves never embraced the brand after Rare left. They could've used the Mario team for it like with Jungle Beat, or the Mario Kart / Splatoon / Animal Crossing team you mentioned (never knew they did all this tbh).

I also don't think Retro has any ill will towards the series, they've made two masterpieces after all and shown the series much love. It's just like with Rare, they rather branch out with other projects. And sure Metroid Prime deserves their attention too. I'm just baffled at how things went since their decision on making Prime 4. The game hasn't been seen or even mentioned anymore. And I know for sure they could've used the Tropical Freeze Switch engine to create a third DKC game with way less effort. It's just wasted money at this point...

If it where up to me, I'd make a special Donkey Kong team within Nintendo and Retro Studios to try and branch out the series as much as possible. Let Monolith even help with environmental graphics and polish as they did with Zelda. Am not sure why such a thing has never happened already.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I love the Wii, seriously, it was my first owned console but, the catalogue was.........short, ask to ten people who owned a Wii what games they played and usually the answers are repeated between the games everyone knows (Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, Brawl, etc) and the ocasional 4th party game like a Spiderman or Lego game. The Wii catalogue was flooded by tons and tons of Shovelware so most people just sticked with the few good games.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm of two minds on Nintendo's treatment of DK over the years. One on hand, it's entirely possible that given NoJ's philosophy about not wanting too many excess releases for certain franchises to avoid watering down the brand made them hold off on doing mainline games with the property for a while and that the deference towards other creators of not utilizing characters they themselves didn't formulate made them reluctant to incorporate Dixie, Cranky, and others into spin-offs. Thus, the aughts period was their effort to keep the IP semi-active with Konga/Jungle Beat/Mario vs DK until they found a developer they trusted to really do justice to it.

On the other hand, I often wonder if DKC not really being in the company's DNA like other big series are, and that it got so big via a Western company like Rare suggests that much of core Nintendo didn't/doesn't quite understand why it was so popular or ifs fundamental appeal. Hence, the 00s era was the company trying and failing to rebrand it as something else (including a series they could experiment with via stuff like bongo controllers), or a form they were comfortable with (like the Mario vs DK series) and that the fairly middling sales of such projects vs the surprisingly strong profits from the DKC GBA remakes made them eventually throw up their hands and conclude a Western company doing a platformer was the series' best chance for success again.

Impossible to know one way or another, but I would say DKC has won out long term as the strongest pillar of the Donkey Kong brand, and a future game's best path would be to build on top of that.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I've of two minds on Nintendo's treatment of DK over the years. One on hand, it's entirely possible that given NoJ's philosophy about not wanting too many excess releases for certain franchises to avoid watering down the brand made them hold off on doing mainline games with the property for a while and that the deference towards other creators of not utilizing characters they themselves didn't formulate made them reluctant to incorporate Dixie, Cranky, and others into spin-offs. Thus, the aughts period was their effort to keep the IP semi-active with Konga/Jungle Beat/Mario vs DK until they found a developer they trusted to really do justice to it.

On the other hand, I often wonder if DKC not really being in the company's DNA like other big series are, and that it got so big via a Western company like Rare suggests that much of core Nintendo didn't/doesn't quite understand why it was so popular or ifs fundamental appeal. Hence, the 00s era was the company trying and failing to rebrand it as something else (including a series they could experiment with via stuff like bongo controllers), or a form they were comfortable with (like the Mario vs DK series) and that the fairly middling sales of such projects vs the surprisingly strong profits from the DKC GBA remakes made them eventually throw up their hands and conclude a Western company doing a platformer was the series' best chance for success again.

Impossible to know one way or another, but I would say DKC has won out long term as the strongest pillar of the Donkey Kong brand, and a future game's best path would be to build on top of that.
I've been pretty vocal about liking Donkey Kong as a not-oversaturated series. I think Diddy Kong Diddy Kong is right about the franchise showing signs of decline as early as DKC3, so even in the hands of a western developer (and the franchise's "real daddy" at that) they had trouble coming up with compelling ideas fairly early on.

You have a point about the DKC franchise's elements not being fully embraced by Nintendo as a whole though. That said, I don't think being essentially shaped by a bunch of "gaijins" is the reason why. For reference, the Wario Land series has not been embraced by the rest of Nintendo at all despite it being developed in-house for its first four entries. Even when they've repurposed Wario into being the face of low-budget experimental microgame collections, elements of WarioWare never appear in the extended Mario universe. I think it has something to do with how both DK and Wario have atmospheres that aren't in line with the rest of the Mario franchise: DKC relies on natural ambience while Wario breaks the limits on surreality and wackiness that Mario usually has. It likely doesn't help that Super Paper Mario's internal tepid reception has led to Nintendo to "standardize" everything in the extended Mario universe.

I'd personally be happy if the DKCR trilogy ends with a game that features the return of the Kremlings. That would be a satisfying enough conclusion that the series can properly rest until someone decides to pick it up again.

As for Wario, just give him another platformer, man.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Mario Kart 8 DX Booster Course > Mario Kart 9 for now.

There's definite potential for a Mario Kart 9 that significantly changes the paradigm of Mario Kart, but I'd like to give the Mario Kart/ARMS team all the time they can to think of something fun (still wish the DLC had some new characters though).
----
The Zelda series doesn't have enough spin-offs.

The franchise has a lot of potential to explore a whole bunch of genres without impacting the main series, but they're not taking it. All we have are two Tingle games, two Musou games, and a Necrodancer crossover right now.
----
Game Freak shouldn't throw around the money to expand itself, but rather bring on Bandai Namco as a collaborator for Pokémon.

GF is clearly happy doing small-scale titles other than Pokémon, and they should have the right to remain small-scale if they want to.
----
Nintendo should let Monolith go independent while keeping a close working relationship with them.

IDK, with all this talk of acquisitions, letting Monolith go independent while continuing to work with them would be a huge power move.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

The franchise has a lot of potential to explore a whole bunch of genres without impacting the main series, but they're not taking it. All we have are two Tingle games, two Musou games, and a Necrodancer crossover right now.
Why Nintendo has never done a proper Zelda platformer when Mario RPGs are such a big deal baffles me. Now I think about it there hasn't really been a Pokémon platformer (not including Pokémon Mini games)

I have a feel the reception to Zip Lash and Hey Pikmin will likely kill the chance of a Zelda platformer for a while now, which is a right shame - the Mario Maker 2 Link mechanics would be incredible in a full game.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Why Nintendo has never done a proper Zelda platformer when Mario RPGs are such a big deal baffles me. Now I think about it there hasn't really been a Pokémon platformer (not including Pokémon Mini games)

I have a feel the reception to Zip Lash and Hey Pikmin will likely kill the chance of a Zelda platformer for a while now, which is a right shame - the Mario Maker 2 Link mechanics would be incredible in a full game.
Zelda 2 counts as a platformer right?

That said, I think a proper successor to Zelda 2 should take more after Castlevania (either Classicvania or Metroidvania, or even both) than its weird mix of JRPG overworld exploration, Simon's Quest stages, and level up system.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

That said, I think a proper successor to Zelda 2 should take more after Castlevania (either Classicvania or Metroidvania, or even both) than its weird mix of JRPG overworld exploration, Simon's Quest stages, and level up system.
I'd say Zelda 2's "platforming sections" are closer to a hyper-primative beat em up if anything. More combat than platforming.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Mario Kart 8 DX Booster Course > Mario Kart 9 for now.

There's definite potential for a Mario Kart 9 that significantly changes the paradigm of Mario Kart, but I'd like to give the Mario Kart/ARMS team all the time they can to think of something fun (still wish the DLC had some new characters though).
----

----
Game Freak shouldn't throw around the money to expand itself, but rather bring on Bandai Namco as a collaborator for Pokémon.

GF is clearly happy doing small-scale titles other than Pokémon, and they should have the right to remain small-scale if they want to.
----
Nintendo should let Monolith go independent while keeping a close working relationship with them.

IDK, with all this talk of acquisitions, letting Monolith go independent while continuing to work with them would be a huge power move.
I always considered the idea of a Zelda Roguelike spin-off like The Binding of Isaac or Enter the Gungeon. I think it would be cool have something like that in the future.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
A Princess Zelda oriented spin-off should have happened by now. I mean, it's a little embarrassing that whenever a non-Nintendo developer (Koei Tecmo, Brace Yourself Games) gets to make a home console game in the series, they make her playable. I mean, Phillips couldn't make a competent title to save their lives, but even they made her protagonist on two thirds of their LoZ games.

Hell, if we're willing to take the series into unconventional eras, let's have a stealth game where Zelda (and maybe Impa too) have to use magic and their wits to carefully avoid enemies while on an adventure. Konami doesn't want to do espionage games via Metal Gear anymore? Let Nintendo take up the mantle for a while.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I always considered the idea of a Zelda Roguelike spin-off like The Binding of Isaac or Enter the Gungeon. I think it would be cool have something like that in the future.
I have quite a bit of Zelda spin-off ideas actually:
  • Roguelike: As you said, this could work. It would be a good way to bring back the Zelda 1 paradigm of dungeons considering puzzles don't really work in a procedurally generated setting.
  • Turn-based SRPG: Just get IntSys to make a Fire Emblem game with a Zelda skin. LiveStudioAudience LiveStudioAudience : Zelda herself could be a good Marth-type Lord.
  • Horse raising: That one subpar Mario Sports compilation for 3DS had a solid concept for horse racing. They should expand that into a whole equestrian spin-off for Zelda instead.
  • Weapon-based fighting game: In lieu of Link not being in Soulcalibur, Bamco can make "Soul of the Master Sword" as a counterpart to Pokkén. Yes, it would feature a cast from across the series like Hyrule Warriors.
  • Turn-based JRPG: If anything, this would fit Zelda more than Mario, and Mario already has a ton of these.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I never really liked Samus's Zero suit. It feels rather fetishy. Even the game that showed her in her undies at the end or let her run around in a leotard didn't feel quite as exploitive.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I never really liked Samus's Zero suit. It feels rather fetishy. Even the game that showed her in her undies at the end or let her run around in a leotard didn't feel quite as exploitive.
The Zero Suit is supposed to be a suit with a focus on mobility and stealth so I can understand why it's a catsuit but even then, Metroid Other M/Smash 4 and onwards design is very stupid lol, especially for the boots. I don't consder it too fetishy since the space latex suits are a common trope but it's true that in the end of the day a lot of people have an......interesing hobby of dress their favorite characters in this suit. But that's not 100% fault of the suit or the designers of the same, I mean people simps for the "censored" Mythra that it's a proof that everything can be the fetish of anyone.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Yeah... no. I get what you're saying, but Monolith is too important to Nintendo at this point for them to just let go, even if they wanted to make a statement. Heck, they're more likely to buyout another studio than let Monolith go.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Yeah... no. I get what you're saying, but Monolith is too important to Nintendo at this point for them to just let go, even if they wanted to make a statement. Heck, they're more likely to buyout another studio than let Monolith go.
You can say the same for Game Freak, and they don't own Game Freak (or at least not completely), they also don't own Sora Ltd (the company that Sakurai founded after leave HAL) and for a long time they don't owned Next Level Games, and all these companies worked in various projects alongside Nintendo so I don't see why they can't do that. It isn't like they can't just exige exclusivity of the Xenoblade franchises and still having a close relation without the needing to be a subsidiare.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
You can say the same for Game Freak, and they don't own Game Freak (or at least not completely), they also don't own Sora Ltd (the company that Sakurai founded after leave HAL) and for a long time they don't owned Next Level Games, and all these companies worked in various projects alongside Nintendo so I don't see why they can't do that. It isn't like they can't just exige exclusivity of the Xenoblade franchises and still having a close relation without the needing to be a subsidiare.
But they don't JUST do Xenoblade anymore: they hace support studios that help Nintendo with their other games, like Zelda. Heck, the reason Monolith joined Nintendo in the first place was because Nintendo was actually willing to let them do whatever they wanted, unlike their then-owners Namco, who (partially due to the Bandai merger) were MUCH less willing to do that.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
And that's why we aren't talking about give Monolith back to Namco (that it would be a big ass move fr) but leave them free. Allowing them to work on what they want even outside Nintendo that even if Nintendo gives them more liberties doesn't mean that they aren't attached to certain limitations. They can still help Nintendo even if they stop to being a second party (like Koei Tecmo that also helped in some Nintendo games like Three Houses and codeveloped the Warriors titles, althought the last one is more because they are making a double spin off with their own franchise Dynasty Warriors but still).

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
How it's that an unpopular opinnion.

But I really agree. If there is one reason why I think the Pokémon games are starting to be even more repetitive is because they are the product of bored and crunched developers (apart of of course another things). Works not related to Pokémon would be freshing for them and would give them at least some renovated ideas the next time they do a proper Pokémon game.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master

But I really agree. If there is one reason why I think the Pokémon games are starting to be even more repetitive is because they are the product of bored and crunched developers (apart of of course another things). Works not related to Pokémon would be freshing for them and would give them at least some renovated ideas the next time they do a proper Pokémon game.
I think it’s mostly the “unrelated to nintendo” thing that I’m considering unpopular lol

Baysha

Smash Ace

Personally, I think they should hand development over to another bigger studio. That way GF can take a break and make what they want to make and Pokemon can be worked on without the need for crunch and half-baked features.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Personally, I think they should hand development over to another bigger studio. That way GF can take a break and make what they want to make and Pokemon can be worked on without the need for crunch and half-baked features.
They more or less do that with spin-offs (see Pokkén and the New Pokémon Snap), even then it's true that it isn't something that they do too often...

Quillion

Smash Hero
The Zero Suit is supposed to be a suit with a focus on mobility and stealth so I can understand why it's a catsuit but even then, Metroid Other M/Smash 4 and onwards design is very stupid lol, especially for the boots. I don't consder it too fetishy since the space latex suits are a common trope but it's true that in the end of the day a lot of people have an......interesing hobby of dress their favorite characters in this suit. But that's not 100% fault of the suit or the designers of the same, I mean people simps for the "censored" Mythra that it's a proof that everything can be the fetish of anyone.
TBH, I think the whole "future=skintight suit" trope is questionable as a whole, even outside of Metroid. I know it's based off the fact that spandex/lycra/elastane/whatever is a recent invention, but it's clearly continuing on for pure fanservice (for men and women alike) since it's clear spandex doesn't really work for casual wear or even everyday work wear. Most spandex nowadays is just partially integrated into non-skintight wear to enhance comfort without denying blood and air circulation.

That said, I don't think the Zero Suit needs much change to actually look good. Putting aside the heels needing to go, the only things I would change about it are to make it look less shiny (which itself would tone the fetish appeal immensely) and to make it look like it functions like an actual astronaut undersuit. Those things actually are either close-fitting or skintight; they just have tubing throughout to circulate coolant of some kind, so all the Zero Suit needs to add are little lines running throughout that show that the Zero Suit serves as advanced all-climate thermoregulation. Fun fact: the undersuit for the Russian-made astronaut suit is actually blue.

They could also stand to make the Zero Suit have a slight amount of bag to it so Samus doesn't look naked. But then again...
So yeah, I'll settle for less shiny Zero Suit with coolant circulation lines while still making her look naked.

I think they have a better chance if they just let a bigger studio co-develop. For reference, there was no way in hell Sakurai's little Sora Ltd. studio would make a game as big as Smash 4 by their lonesome, let alone Ultimate. Quoting that post again:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

What about Zelda x Fire Emblem? A tactical RPG set in the world or Hyrule. I think that has lots of potential. Or any sort of RPG really with a big story focus.

Quillion

Smash Hero
What about Zelda x Fire Emblem? A tactical RPG set in the world or Hyrule. I think that has lots of potential. Or any sort of RPG really with a big story focus.
I mean, that is among my list of Zelda spin-offs I would like to see after all.

I have quite a bit of Zelda spin-off ideas actually:
  • Roguelike: As you said, this could work. It would be a good way to bring back the Zelda 1 paradigm of dungeons considering puzzles don't really work in a procedurally generated setting.
  • Turn-based SRPG: Just get IntSys to make a Fire Emblem game with a Zelda skin. LiveStudioAudience LiveStudioAudience : Zelda herself could be a good Marth-type Lord.
  • Horse raising: That one subpar Mario Sports compilation for 3DS had a solid concept for horse racing. They should expand that into a whole equestrian spin-off for Zelda instead.
  • Weapon-based fighting game: In lieu of Link not being in Soulcalibur, Bamco can make "Soul of the Master Sword" as a counterpart to Pokkén. Yes, it would feature a cast from across the series like Hyrule Warriors.
  • Turn-based JRPG: If anything, this would fit Zelda more than Mario, and Mario already has a ton of these.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
id say thats cause it is

id also say thats the main reason zero suit got in. same for bayo and pythra
Saying that sex appeal was the "main reason" Bayonetta and Pyra/Mythra got in goes right past being an "unpopular opinion" and right into being not only factually wrong, but also blatantly sexist.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Saying that sex appeal was the "main reason" Bayonetta and Pyra/Mythra got in goes right past being an "unpopular opinion" and right into being not only factually wrong, but also blatantly sexist.
That doesn’t make any sense. I think sakurai has the mentality of a heterosexual 12 year old therefore I must be sexist? Or bisexual maybe going by the amount shirtless men we have as well

it’s a criticism of sakurai

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That doesn’t make any sense. I think sakurai has the mentality of a heterosexual 12 year old therefore I must be sexist? Or bisexual maybe going by the amount shirtless men we have as well

it’s a criticism of sakurai
"Female characters that have been explicitly stated to have gotten in due to their popularity and are incredibly important to their games ACTUALLY only got in because Sakurai was horny" is an INCREDIBLY sexist take, yes. If you can't see that, that's totally on you. You're not hiding it, dude. Everyone can see it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
"Female characters that have been explicitly stated to have gotten in due to their popularity and are incredibly important to their games ACTUALLY only got in because Sakurai was horny" is an INCREDIBLY sexist take, yes. If you can't see that, that's totally on you. You're not hiding it, dude. Everyone can see it.
so criticising blatantly fetishised characters is sexist? Well you learn something new every day, last I heard being fetishised was itself sexist

Dinoman96

Smash Master
id say thats cause it is

id also say thats the main reason zero suit got in. same for bayo and pythra
The real reason Zero Suit Samus got in was just because Sakurai was desperate for a new Metroid rep that wasn't Ridley lolol

I put Zero Suit Samus in thinking I wanted to include more characters from the popular Metroid series. Also, since Smash Bros. has few female characters, I was quite happy to include her.
Also an excuse to say that he added a female character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
so criticising blatantly fetishised characters is sexist? Well you learn something new every day, last I heard being fetishised was itself sexist
Quit moving the goalposts, dude. You know what you wrote. We all do.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The real reason Zero Suit Samus got in was just because Sakurai was desperate for a new Metroid rep that wasn't Ridley lolol

Also an excuse to say that he added a female character.
so he did, I forgot about

Quit moving the goalposts, dude. You know what you wrote. We all do.
I think you’re the one moving goal posts

see what i said was:
id also say thats the main reason
and then you said
only got in because Sakurai was horny
i dont think you can claim we all know anything when you clearly don't.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The "(BE CIVIL)" part of the thread title has not been honored since this page.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The "(BE CIVIL)" part of the thread title has not been honored since this page.
sorry. And I will happily apologise to anyone who was offended by what I said

I will even apologise to you Opossum Opossum I’m sorry I accidentally said something sexist. I honestly thought it was a legitimate criticism of sakurai

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
sorry. And I will happily apologise to anyone who was offended by what I said

I will even apologise to you Opossum Opossum I’m sorry I accidentally said something sexist. I honestly thought it was a legitimate criticism of sakurai
It has been said a lot around these parts, that's for sure. Claiming characters as Zero Suit Samus or Bayonetta got in cause of "sex appeal", or implied because Sakurai fancied them. But this was never true of course. People where particularly bitter about their inclusion because Zero Suit Samus was the Metroid newcomer in Brawl whom many thought should've been Ridley instead (I find her inclusion more logical, especially in hindsight, Ridley's inclusion in Smash feels very forced and awkward). Bayonetta was the "ballot winner" of Smash 4, and the last DLC character of 4, and hugely overpowered in the metagame and got huge flack for that. Her game of origin apparently has sexual themes going on too. And of course Mytrha and Pyra, characters where the case could actually have been made for, but their designs are way less "fan service" based in Smash than Xenoblade. They where also as much of a main character in Xenoblade 2 as Rex was, maybe moreso. Their inclusion also received some backlash, hence all these many comments about Sakurai and him wanting these characters in cause of sex appeal. Cause that's what many gamers first see. I don't think it's as much the reason they got in, they're popular characters by themselves. But the sex appeal thing is a trend in gaming and media in general for a reason.

Top Bottom