• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unova's Volt Switch flying squirrel! Emolga for Smash!

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
Emolga

Emolga (#587) is a Flying-Electric dual-type Pokemon introduced in Pokemon Black version and Pokemon White version, both released in 2010-2011 for the Nintendo DS. Based on the japanese dwarf flying squirrel (and possibly the feathertail glider), it continues the trend of having a Pikachu-like "electric rodent" mascot per new region much in the same vein as Plusle/Minun and Pachirisu, and is the first one of that category to be dual-type, as well as being the only one available during the main quest of its original game, therefore canonically being Unova's own Pikachu.

Despite being fairly popular amongst the aforementioned electric rodents, in terms of Smash popularity it is often overshadowed by Raichu and Plusle/Minun. However outside of Smash many have asked to have it back both for Sword/Shield and for Pokemon Go, undeniably proving that it is still fairly popular.

Emolga is best known for two of its appearances: in Black/White as two members of Gym Leader Elesa's team who set themselves apart by being difficult to beat thanks to being immune to the Ground type weakness shared by most other Electric types of the time and being able to switch out on a whim thanks to the move called Volt Switch, and in the Black/White anime as a particularly notable Pokemon of Ash's travel companion Iris and who is particularly notable in there for being mostly selfish and having a rivalry with Ash's Snivy (with Snivy being the most popular starter of Unova overall, so that says a lot).
Iris's Emolga is even able to take on the combat experienced Pokemon Sawk and cleverly win without even using the type advantage (due to lacking a flying type move during said match).

Moveset
Overview: Emolga's moveset would be derived from Pikachu's/Pichu's, with a notable difference being that it would have better air mobility perhaps at the expense of less options on the ground. It could make use of the unused glide coding found in Ultimate's code and that dates back to Brawl, probably without having it be overpowered. Most of its normals (both grounded and aerial) would be similar to Pikachu's/Pichu's, albeit it'd have more of a focus on aerial approaches than the other two. (Edit: Steve's up special, Elytra, makes gliding possible without resorting to older code)
The following specials are an idea of mine but could still be changed.

:GCB: : Thunder Shock : basically the custom variant Pikachu had in Smash 4, Emolga shoots a small ball of electricity horizontally (or, when used in the air, at a diagonal angle) that disappears when it hits the ground. The ball hits for low damage and a bit of paralysis, but can be used as a diagonal approaching (or low recovery gimping) tool in the air. Would cancel the gliding state if used during it, however.

:GCL::GCB::GCR: : Spark : a cross between Skull Bash and Wonderwing, and one that would presumably be one of Emolga's better grounded approach tools. Emolga winds up for a very brief period then goes in a straight line covered in electricity. If it hits something it bounces up a bit and can follow with an aerial move, but if it whiffes Emolga slides forward a bit and is left vulnerable for a brief period in that state, which considerings its weight would be inbetween Pichu's and Pikachu's, could mean someone has the opportunity to combo it or hit it with a strong yet fast move. Would only trigger the state if used in midair and it doesn't stop while on ground, and the transition between Spark itself and the gliding state is just as much of an opportunity for someone with a fast aerial/special/projectile.

:GCU::GCB: : Acrobatics / Aerial Ace : either name works, but the idea is a recovery type move that'd send Emolga upwards a fair bit in a similar way as Meta Knight's recovery move. It would also automatically put Emolga in gliding mode afterwards, where it can follow with Thunder Shock or an aerial. Could probably even be used as a kill move if used near the top blastzone.

:GCD::GCB: : Thunder : basically Pikachu's/Pichu's, except the distance between Emolga and the cloud is slightly shorter making it harder to use to gimp low/walljump recoveries, as a tradeoff for Emolga being otherwise good against most other means of recovering. It's also fairly weaker when it hits Emolga itself, as to encourage using other moves to get opponents off of it.

Counterarguments

- "Not relevant enough"/"It's not even in Sword/Shield or Go yet" : Relevancy has proved to only be an extra, and there is quite an amount of demand to have it back, not to mention that if it gathers enough mainline/Go demand the Smash demand would be futureproofed for when it does become relevant in the main games again. Plus being easier to work with thanks to the Pikachu/Pichu base gives it the necessary advantage to be included later in development, which can easily bypass the need for mainline relevancy with enough demand.
Edit: It's been added back to Sword/Shield through the Isle of Armor expansion DLC! And ontop of that, it also made it to Go since August 14th 2020! Meaning not even lack of relevancy is an issue now.

- "It'd just be another Pikachu clone" : Is this even a con at this point, now that Daisy and Chrom proved that this just means it'd have higher chances in general and could bypass creator biases/restrictions (with relevancy being one of those)? Clones are really just the first steps to making those characters and/or their bases more unique in the long run, therefore creating more separate playstyles over time. Even if Emolga initially gets in as a clone, keeping up the support would in the long run help make it and Pikachu more and more distinct from each other. And if it not, it's in as a unique character. Either way it's a win-win.

- "Pokemon has too many characters, make room for others" : Nothing against anyone else, but while Pokemon does have a lot of characters in the game, the generation 5 games that Emolga comes from are of high enough quality to warrant being given a character in Smash, and that is the only thing it's really missing since it has a stage and music (though neither would stop it from bringing an extra stage with extra music), making the gap even clearer. And Emolga is one of the most notable figures amongst its Pokemon, and presumably the easiest to work with at that thanks to Pikachu/Pichu already being in the game, as opposed to the starter evolution lines and the Zorua evo line having lesser clear bases.

- "There are other electric rodents that deserves it better" : Not particularly. Most of its competition there wouldn't bring anywhere as much to the table as Emolga would, not only in representing a region who was lacking a character beforehand, but also thanks to its unique dual type giving it a clearly defined playstyle. Emolga would have a clear "I prefer the air" playstyle in opposition to Pikachu's grounded aggressive playstyle, though they could both be played in a "bait and punish" style.

NEW
- "They're not going to use DLC to give more content to series already in Smash" : Byleth and Sephiroth both disprove this. Yes, Byleth is for crosspromotion, but Sephiroth also proves that they're willing to give more content to a game/series if they deem them to be lacking in that department, regardless of whether they already have a stage or not. Three to four songs doesn't do the generation five soundtracks any justice.
Ontop of this, we know from the aforementioned two, as well as Banjo and Min Min, that simpler movesets are not out of the question, so no need for extra gimmicks (though even if it were needed, we could always use a gliding limit mechanic like the Rivals of Aether workshop character linked below).
Edit: Also Pyra and Mythra happened as well, so basically we got the Sephiroth example for an actual firstparty too. There is no excuse.

Misc.

Palettes
Kirby hat
A past leak from back in Smash For prerelease times
A Classic mode route
Trailer concept
Rivals of Aether workshop character, a proof of concept of Emolga in a platform fighter

Supporters

"If we become a team and get Team Badges, we could take on anything!" - Emolga, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

Extremmefan
Guynamednelson
Kirbeh​

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It was always silly that this wasn't suggested as an alternative to Gothitelle for some sort of "Gen V echo slot". I support.

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
It was always silly that this wasn't suggested as an alternative to Gothitelle for some sort of "Gen V echo slot". I support.
I was wondering that, personally. Never understood why people latched on that idea when doing elecrodent echoes also solve the "missing generations" issue (since Emolga and Plusle/Minun mostly fits the proportions of Pikachu and Pichu respectively… mostly).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Never understood why people latched on that idea
Because they think Gardevoir's inclusion would have to be about killing two gen birds with one stone, rather than just catering to Gardevoir's popularity.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
On the one hand I like Emolga. On the other a Pikachu with better air mobility scares me.

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
On the one hand I like Emolga. On the other a Pikachu with better air mobility scares me.
Yea it'd probably be the Melee Falco to Pikachu's Melee Fox, but I think that just makes it even more fun of an idea to talk about.
Though I do wonder how they would go about balancing that, outside of just making the aerials preferable to use over the grounded moves.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Yea it'd probably be the Melee Falco to Pikachu's Melee Fox, but I think that just makes it even more fun of an idea to talk about.
Though I do wonder how they would go about balancing that, outside of just making the aerials preferable to use over the grounded moves.
Honestly it's kind of a shame that gliding was taken out. It was a broken mess, but if it had been fixed, I think it would've been really cool to see it make a comeback. Aside from characters that previously made use of it in Brawl, potential newcomers like Emolga here could have made use of it as well.

This late in the game I don't think we'll see it, but put me down as a supporter anyway. Even if not now, a future Smash titles will offer a new chance.

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
Honestly it's kind of a shame that gliding was taken out
Isn't gliding still in the game's code? I heard it was just unused, yet was still in the coding for the Brawl veterans that had it back then plus Dark Pit and Ridley (for some reason).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Isn't gliding still in the game's code? I heard it was just unused, yet was still in the coding for the Brawl veterans that had it back then plus Dark Pit and Ridley (for some reason).
Ridley has Brawl Charizard's gliding parameters, indicating Charizard was used as a base.

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
Added a bunch of stuff I've found to the Misc section. Palettes, a Kirby hat, a Classic mode route, and even a bit of leak history that I thought would be neat to check.

Edit 09/02/2020: Added a trailer concept I've posted on Twitter.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Some Emolga trivia to keep this thread alive:

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
Some Emolga trivia to keep this thread alive:
So basically, just like how Pichu showcased breeding, Plusle and Minun double battles, and Pachirisu gender differences, Emolga showcased animated sprites? That's actually kind of neat.
And they do have a point with how picture-esque Emolga's gliding is. The Prism Tower cameo is nice to look at when taken at a part of its trajectory that has a background not fully covered by the tower itself.

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
Necrobump, we have a LOT of news to cover on this thread. (So I hope I'm not breaking any rules with it)

Through the Isle of Armor and Unova Week, Emolga respectively makes it to both Sword/Shield AND Go, therefore further invalidating one of the points against it.

Steve's up special, Elytra, brings back gliding, therefore proving gliding as possible ingame.

Sephiroth's pack includes extra music and an extra stage for a game that already has them, therefore making it possible for Pokemon Black/White to get more of either, regardless of the DLC format.

I've edited the OP to include these points as well as the Rivals of Aether workshop character (as a proof of concept of Emolga being feasible).
I've been away for way too long, but I'm going to be on here more often during the Christmas period.
Edit: On second thought, nevermind, there's not much else for me to do here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom