• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Download link: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=207676
Installing tutorial by @Cpt. (works on v1.75 and above)
Video showcase/preview (version 2.1):
Credits: KingJigglypuff for coding help and resizing and fixing model several times; themaziest for Ridley-X roar, some of the sounds and victory fanfare; drogoth for fixing Side B; SoulOfSmash, Capt., GerbilCrab475, PrinceGal3n, NXero, ggmonx, MerryShadow, Dastardly Ridleylash, GanonFist, Weiss and Warzenschwein for beta testing; Dastardly Ridleylash and MerryShadow for some minor coding and image editing help; PyotrLuzhin for future .rel ports, RSBE01.gct codes help and RSBE01.gct file included; SchAlternate for improving textures; Dr. (KC-MM) for fixing and optimizing the model; pikazz (KC-MM) for Side B coding.

This is unofficial mod that replaces Pit (later, BrawlEx port will be made for Brawl, but unless he will become official for Project M, you will have to replace Pit to use him in Project M) with Ridley from Metroid series. Ridley's appearance in this mod is mostly based off Other M Ridley, but with several noticable differences (such as shorter head with beak curved down, chin spike, longer spikes on the head, smaller wings, shorter tail with arrowhead-like blade on the tip, no spikes on legs and arms, etc) that make him look more like Super Metroid Ridley. Sounds are mostly taken from Metroid Prime and Super Smash Bros. for WiiU, with few Other M and Metroid Prime 3 sounds used.

Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/0ATHn
Extra recolors (click on the banner to download):

Stage:

Info:
Weight - 92
Falling speed - 0.012 (a bit lower than Bowser's)
Jumps - 4 (normal jump included)
Jumps height - above average.
Running speed - a big higher than Bowser's.
Walking speed - near Samus' speed.
Air mobility - high.
Recovery - 9/10.
Attack speed - 4/10.
Attack power - 7/10.
Ground combat - 4/10.
Aerial combat - 9/10.

The leader of the Space Pirates, Ridley, joins the fight! Armed with only his own natural weapons, he is a force to be reckoned with in the hands of an experienced player.
Thanks to Ridley's large size, long arms and tail, his range is very high, allowing him to reach opponent easily. His tail lacks hurtboxes and doesn't clashes with other attacks, so, it can be used to safely reach opponent. Most of Ridley's attacks deal high damage and knockback, which makes KOing opponent rather easy with proper reads and positioning. His high aerial mobility allows him to perform Wall of Pain and follow up other attacks without much problems. Because of it, its recommended to fight in the air rather than on the ground, but if its either not possible or its not the best course of actions in certain situation, then you still can use such attacks as Side Smash, which can KO most of the characters in 2-3 hits, Side B, which can be followed up by various attacks in similar way to Ganondorf's Side B, Down B, which has high knockback and goes through most of attacks thanks to its high flinch resistance, and many other attacks. Ridley also has a strong and fast projectile that can either be shot straight forward or diagonally down and if it hits the ground, it produces a big shockwave that launches opponents up, but deals lower damage and has low knockback growth. Most of Ridley's tail attacks deal extra shield damage, with fully charged Side Smash being able to shatter full shield on most characters.
While he is the 2nd biggest character, he is far from heavy. Being a flying creature with a rather thin build, he is just barely heavier than Peach. This makes survival for Ridley a huge problem. Thankfully, his recovery allows him to survive being launched very far away from the stage, so, unless he is launched far enough to be KOed (something that is easy to do with such large and yet light character), he will most likely return. But his size might be a problem when recovering since this allows most of the meteor smashes to hit him easily. His recovery is also rather predictable and slow and he has low falling speed.
Another one of Ridley's problems is his slow ground attacks and low running speed. While his attacks are strong, they either have long start up or eng lag. His command grabs both on the ground and in the air are very fast and can be followed up by various attacks, but have high end lag and very low hitbox duration. His Side Smash deals very high damage and knockback, but has high start up and low hitbox duration.
Overall, Ridley is a glass cannon and once you learn how to fight him, he is very easy to deal with, but most of your mistakes will be severely punished.

Frame data (Work In Progress):
Note: all of attacks using tail have a tipper mechanic - tail blade deals decent damage and knockback, but everything else has weak 7% damage and knockback. And not all of the stuff above is ready yet. For example, images for the attacks are not animations as they should be.
Frame: 1/60 of a second
Hitbox: Collision box that interacts with hurtboxes, as well as hitboxes (known as a clang)
Angle: Direction in which the player is sent from an attack or throw
- A 365° angle is the Auto Link Angle and will send the opponent in the same direction as the player
- A 361° angle is the Sakurai Angle and will send all aerial opponents 45°
- Any angle between 260° and 280° is classified as a meteor.
- Any angle above 361° is classified as a spike, with the exception of the Auto Link Angle.
Base Knockback (BKB): Base value used in knockback calculations
Knockback Growth (KBG): Percentage multiplier that changes knockback in relation to the opponent's damage
[collapse=Hurtboxes' placement]

[/collapse]
[collapse=Frame data (Work in Progress, all normal, smash and aerial attacks are done)]

Jab 1
Start Up|Hitbox Duration|End Lag|Damage|Angle|WKB/KBG
18|3|12|4-3|20°|50/100

Jab 2
13|4|13|5-4|20°|65/100

Jab 3
Start Up|Hitbox Duration|End Lag|Damage|Angle|BKB/KBG
12|5|18|6-5|45°|75/75

Dash Attack
16|4|14|13-11|70°|80/65

Forward Tilt Up
17|3|21|12-7|50°-361°|20-70/100-50

Forward Tilt Straight
17|3|21|12-7|32°-361°|20-70/100-50

Forward Tilt Down
17|3|21|12-7|20°-361°|20-70/100-50

Up Tilt
17|13|15|13-->7|96°|60/80

Down Tilt 1
10|4|18|5-3|96°-80°|20/100

Down Tilt 2
6|5|20|10-8|80°-361°|70/100

Side Smash
49|4|19|23-19|45°|50/100

Up Smash
17|6|37|3 + 13-10|90°-361°|70/100

Down Smash
17|16|39|18-7|45°-361°|60-70/85-50

Neutral Aerial Attack
Start Up|Hitbox Duration|End Lag|Damage|Angle|WKB|BKB/KBG|Landing Lag
10|25|26|1*5 + 6|365°/361°|20-0/0-50/100-75|30

Forward Aerial Attack
Start Up|Hitbox Duration|End Lag|Damage|Angle|BKB/KBG|Landing Lag
14|3|17|12-10|35°|40/90|30

Back Aerial Attack
21|7|16|15-7|60°-135°|60-70/80-50|30

Up Aerial Attack
13|7|16|12-9|100°|40/90|30

Down Aerial Attack
18|23|10|14-->22|270°-->35°|65-->30/75-->100|50

Grab
Start Up|Hitbox Duration|End Lag
9|3|28
[/collapse]​

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
More things done:
All A tilts;
All dodges and guarding animation;
AAA jab combo (works improperly in Project M for some reasons);
Recolors (black, Zero Mission and Super Metroid recolors);
Dash attack.
Some new screenshots:

Also, this project is now Project M only because i went over animations file size limit, so, i had to remove few animations. He will enter T-pose when trying to use this animation, so, don't use him in normal Brawl, stages not from Project M that have ladders or Subspace Emissary. So, i think it should be moved to Project M customized content. I wouldn't count that as bad news, but not good news either. To fit Project M, i will replace few attacks with faster attacks, like Up Smash, and increase speed of few other attacks, like up throw, forward throw, side smash, etc.

Last edited:

Meandpikachu

Smash Journeyman
I think i did something wrong. Tell me what if i actually did something wrong. And should this count as Project M hack if it is made to be compatible with it or what? I doubt that it should.

After once again getting disappointed by Sakurai and his character roster choice, i restarted my old project i dropped because of a bug that bothered me that i failed to fix. But i decided to say "f*** it" and ignore that bug. It IS noticable, but for those who doesn't uses items it won't matter and i think it will be fixed either before or after full version release.
Later, i got Carnage's permission to use Ridley PSA he, _Data_Drain_, KingOfChaos, Anivernage, Snoopy, Kagemaru, SonicBrawler, StarWaffle, Angelglory, PAVGN, mnsg, cuckoos, Flygon, Cronny and KGN Nappdag made to make this one.
What is it? It is remake of that PSA using real SSBB Ridley model, without any changes done to it except for better eyes and default texture. Some of the attacks will be changed or replaced. Final Smash will be replaced too with a better one that can be used in Project M. Also, for now, i am working on it alone, but i think i can handle it. Its not first time i have to make 100+ animations, but this time it is easier because i don't have to rip every frame, put it into .png file, insert it into a file through a special program, repeat. Hurtboxes are not present on his tail (including tail hurtboxes would be a bad thing in this case), wings, neck and feet.

What is done:
Wait 1, Wait 2, Walk Fast - Slow, Dash, Run and Run brake, Turn and Run Turn, Run Turn brake, glide (all of animations related to it), Down B and Neutral B, Jump, Land, Crouch/Duck and few other animations i forgot;
Glide attacks and just glide;
Down B and Neutral B (on the ground);
Model;
Ideas.

Known issues:
Items are held in his throat (don't know how to fix that);
Run brake/stop animation plays twice (fixed);
Feet disappear during run brake/stop animation (fixed);
Walking animation goes too fast despite being slower in BB (it is because i made them too fast, will be fixed soon);
Sometimes, he instantly dies when grabbing ledge or instantly gets up on the platform (most likely because of animations because those are not done yet);
He is too big!

Previews (some of them are outdated):

Other:
When it will be finished, i would like it to be ported over ZSS or even turned into a completly separate character through BrawlEx;
I will credit original authors for original hack of course.

I know Angelglory tried to make Ridley PSA too, but i think he dropped it and this one is a remake of already existing hack to make it look better and act better too. And i know that there is such thing as BrawlVault, but i think it will get more attention here since there is more peoples disappointed by lack of Ridley in SSB4. Or it will be forgotten since this section is more-or-less abandoned.
That was 100% Awesome!!!! I wish I download this!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
This thread is now in Project M workshop. More stuff done:
All Smashes (Up Smash now uses wings and hits only twice while Down Smash is similar to Samus', but with different trajectory and knockback; Side Smash is same as before)
All recolors done (new recolors - Ridley-X, White Ridley and Black Ridley now has blue eyes);
Fixed landing GFX misaligment;
Added footstool animations.
Recolors screenshots:

And no, those are not based off those 2 big Pokemons from Pokemon Black & White.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Cool, not really sure I have anything to contribute, but it looks awesome and we could always use more project m psa, given how few are made specifically for project m.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
More stuff done:
All aerial attacks (only FAir and DAir are left unchanged - BAir is now closer to SSBC version while UAir is similar to his Up Smash);
Extra Green ZM artwork recolor;
Swapped Black and White recolors' eyes;
Aerial versions of Neutral and Down B.
Screenshot:

His attacks in the air feel a lot better than on the ground in terms of how effective they are. His main disadvantages are his weight (too light for such a large character) and size (as big as Bowser).

J3f

Smash Cadet
This is looking good, is there any video?

Ridley's Wings look too big, One of his most iconic features is his tiny wings. I know they're different sizes in different games, but having Omega Ridley wings can completely obscure a character on a platform.

The tail should also point forward and wrap around the side. Both for size and lack of Hurt box reasons and because that's how Ridley is depicted in most of the 2D Metroid Games. It could also be a little shorter and extend for attacks.

Minor Nit-pick: Zero Mission Green Ridley should be a lighter shade of green.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
This is looking good, is there any video?

Ridley's Wings look too big, One of his most iconic features is his tiny wings. I know they're different sizes in different games, but having Omega Ridley wings can completely obscure a character on a platform.

Minor Nit-pick: Zero Mission Green Ridley should be a lighter shade of green.
Not yet. Youtube isn't working for me for now and his hit animations are not finished yet.

This is their natural size since he went into 3d world. Tiny wings are not one of his iconic features and were so small only to not get in the way during fight since at that time, collision damage was used. About obscuring characters on a platform - maybe, but they don't cover much when he is just standing, not using them or not attacking.

I know. I'll fix that.

More stuff done:
Improved Down B's fire trail;
Side B (both aerial and ground versions, has extra hitbox that deals medium knockback and damage, hard to hit with since it is active only 5-6 frames).
...Wanted a screenshot? TOO BAD! RIDLEY TIME!...kinda...

Last edited:

J3f

Smash Cadet
Ridley small Wings are what differentiate him from every other dragon in every other series. I accepted Omega Ridley's wings since they're prosthetics, but I absolutely hate Ridley's wings in Other M (along with Other as a whole) because they lost what made them unique. I always thought that Ridley flew with the help of alien methods like how Metroids fly with stored Kinetic Energy, and the wings only helped a little. These little touches really made the Metroid Franchise unique. Any future 3D Metroid Games should shrink Ridleys Wings down to their proper size.

It's a massive non-interactive part of his 3D model. It would be like having Meta Knight's cape drape down to the bottom level of a stage from a platform. It goes against "What you see is What You Get". It's completely unintuitive that such a large part of the model is unhittable.

Also see my previous post on what I think you should do with Ridley's tail.

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
Heyho,

First of all, this looks impressive. Im not a fan of the other Ridley PSA´s and I actually think that the one Ridley Charizard vertex warp is the closest we have come to having a decent Ridley mod. Atleast Meta-Ridley already has some better ones, so Im very much looking forward to this. Every Ridley fan will be thankfull if this turns out well, I imagine.

As for his wings, I agree that they should be made as "insiginifcant" as possible for gameplay and silhouette reasons, however, its hard to judge how distracting his wings are without seeing some video footage of your mod. As for scaling them down, I dont think that is the way and I think you have done a decent job of scaling his wings down in the latest screenshots you already posted, but that might just be perspective.

The thing is, it is possible to scale brawl ridleys wings down just abit without making them seem too small (yes, Ive done it), so if you havnt already tried that, you should definately do that, because his wings dont need to be THAT large.

Aside from that, try to keep his wings as much tucked in as possible when they are not used, to make sure they dont get in the way too much.

Finally, heres my take on trying to make the Brawl model as "playable" as possible (including scaled down wings and even a smaller head), aswell as some other mesh and texture changes to make him look more decent overall. Basically, I tried to get closer to his Zero Mission design. Maybe you can take some inspiration from this:

http://s14.directupload.net/images/140922/ixf5qk2e.png

Anyways, good luck with this project.

Edit: Also, can you have like a non-Captain Falcon version? Cause I cant have Smash without Falcon.

Last edited:

J3f

Smash Cadet
This how I'd like Ridley to be revised. Smaller Wings and the tail swept forward.

Also the wings should fold inward no to the side like this:

@ Crainy I prefer the original model's head size and texture, maybe it's just because of the awkweard posture Ridley has in that render.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Heyho,

First of all, this looks impressive. Im not a fan of the other Ridley PSA´s and I actually think that the one Ridley Charizard vertex warp is the closest we have come to having a decent Ridley mod. Atleast Meta-Ridley already has some better ones, so Im very much looking forward to this. Every Ridley fan will be thankfull if this turns out well, I imagine.

As for his wings, I agree that they should be made as "insiginifcant" as possible for gameplay and silhouette reasons, however, its hard to judge how distracting his wings are without seeing some video footage of your mod. As for scaling them down, I dont think that is the way and I think you have done a decent job of scaling his wings down in the latest screenshots you already posted, but that might just be perspective.

The thing is, it is possible to scale brawl ridleys wings down just abit without making them seem too small (yes, Ive done it), so if you havnt already tried that, you should definately do that, because his wings dont need to be THAT large.

Aside from that, try to keep his wings as much tucked in as possible when they are not used, to make sure they dont get in the way too much.

Finally, heres my take on trying to make the Brawl model as "playable" as possible (including scaled down wings and even a smaller head), aswell as some other mesh and texture changes to make him look more decent overall. Basically, I tried to get closer to his Zero Mission design. Maybe you can take some inspiration from this:

http://s14.directupload.net/images/140922/ixf5qk2e.png

Anyways, good luck with this project.

Edit: Also, can you have like a non-Captain Falcon version? Cause I cant have Smash without Falcon.
I can't upload videos on youtube right now, but i will try to find another site where i could upload gameplay video.

I will move hand hurtboxes to his wings and place them in the same way Charizard has his wing hurtboxes. There is no reason for them to be invincible.

I will not edit his model too much. Only fix its main issue - eyes and teeth (too long, needs to be shorter). For now, only eyes are fixed.

Making wings small will also make few attacks useless, so, they will have to be replaced, they will be harder to rotate when making animations and it will go against what we had since Metroid Prime. Even in artwork and concept art, his wings are big.

Only after i will finish him, i will port him over ZSS. Right now, i should focus on animations and PSA itself. Eiher before or after that port, i will make more unique moveset that isn't based off SSB Crusade's.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Merge it with the previous post if posting updates like this is not allowed.
Here is video preview:
http://www.4shared.com/video/U87rTI1Fba/bandicam_2014-09-23_14-06-17-9.html (video is in the link, but i don't know how to post it here in normal way, so, i have to post link to it instead)
It has some audio and framerate issues, but when i will be able to get to my Wii i don't have with me for now (left in Russia), i will most likely have this done, so, i can't wait for that.

Jevedor

Smash Cadet
That looks fantastic thus far. Which one of the moves was his Up B?

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
Looks definately promising. Maybe the landing sound is abit extreme and could be toned down abit, other than that, looks exceptional so far.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
This is looking great. I know a lot of people have been begging for Ridley. Keep this up ... I wish I knew how to do this kind of stuff to be helpful!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
UPDATE AND IT IS TOO BIG!
Here it is:

Thanks to Carnage, most known bugs are fixed and animations file size is reduced. Not by much, but hey, that will allow me to at least have enough space left. Improved Down B fireball (now it looks close to the way it looks in Meta Ridley boss fight, just without those flames surrounding the fireball). The most important fix is item bug fix. Walking animations slowed down from light speed to normal speed. He made Meta Ridley alt, but it needs some work on it because his wings are too big, have translation issues and tail has some problems with proportions. Now i have to fix some stuff left in moveset file i sent to him, like misplaced landing effect. Maybe this hack will be possible to use in normal Brawl. I doubt it, but who knows.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Hey, this is looking great! Ridly is no longer holding the items in his neck! This would be great to play with. It would be neat if the PM teams looks at this to implement in future releases (hint)(hint)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
More stuff done:
Up and Down throws finished;
Created alt that makes Ridley look just better;
Screenshot:

To make Meta Ridley alt work properly, i'll have to remove all of the wing bones translation values in all animations...that's gonna be hard to do...

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
Why not just focus on Ridley for now and do Meta-Ridley later?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Why not just focus on Ridley for now and do Meta-Ridley later?
I am focusing on Ridley only for now. Meta Ridley will require all animations to be done first.
Finished Up B. Difference between original and this versions are that he doesn't goes back that far and he has a hitbox on him while doing the wheel loop part of it.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Wow, I was skeptical when I stepped into this thread, but I'm now confident that you know exactly what you're doing. The animations look really good (they could use work, but you're just one guy and I can't expect you to make a character as intricate and complicated as Ridley look completely lifelike) and the moves all look great. I have to disagree with the poster above -- making his wings that small would make him look ridiculous.

I've been waiting for a Ridley PSA for ages, and this definitely looks like it'll be the definitive Ridley PSA in the future. I can't wait to see it finished! After completion, I would be happy to help test it, if you needed someone to do so.

Cheers, mate! Thanks for finally making a PSA that looks like it'll be fitting for the leader of the Space Pirates!

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
You have officially proved that too big, is the dumbest argument in the book. When do you think this will be finished? From what I've seen you went from 5% done to 30% done very quickly.

By the way I accidentally clicked horrible at the same time as awesome, I didn't realize that multiple votes were allowed so ignore the one that says horrible please.:urg:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You have officially proved that too big, is the dumbest argument in the book. When do you think this will be finished? From what I've seen you went from 5% done to 30% done very quickly.

By the way I accidentally clicked horrible at the same time as awesome, I didn't realize that multiple votes were allowed so ignore the one that says horrible please.:urg:
In the next month. Maybe somewhere in the middle of it. I don't know, but i try to work on it all of my free time, which is at least 12 hours per day.

Its ok. I won't count it.

I reduced Ridley's size a bit:

Now he isn't the biggest character since that must always belong to Bowser. Also, here is Up B and Down Throw animations:

Last edited:

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Amazing! If this gets ported over Zss samus when released, is there a Project M mod that make her share the slot with Samus like in Vanilla?

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Even though I've never been a huge ridley fan( never got to play metroid prime games sadly), this has definatley got me hyped and looks great so far. Keep it up man ;)

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
In the next month. Maybe somewhere in the middle of it. I don't know, but i try to work on it all of my free time, which is at least 12 hours per day.

Its ok. I won't count it.

I reduced Ridley's size a bit:

Now he isn't the biggest character since that must always belong to Bowser. Also, here is Up B and Down Throw animations:
I would suggest downsizing the head and wings, plus shortening the neck a little more (maybe length of tail too).

This artwork demonstrates some pretty nice proportions:

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Amazing! If this gets ported over Zss samus when released, is there a Project M mod that make her share the slot with Samus like in Vanilla?
If by "share slot" you mean that they are not separate and have 1 slot for both, then no. If you mean that they can't transform into each other, then yes, there is such mod. If not those 2 explanations, then i don't know what exactly you wanted to say.
I would suggest downsizing the head and wings, plus shortening the neck a little more (maybe length of tail too).

This artwork demonstrates some pretty nice proportions:

Downsizing his wings and making his tail shorter will make him look ridicolous (especially wings), but i can make his head smaller and neck a bit smaller since now both of his jaws are long, so, his head looks bigger, and his neck is thicker, so, it looks bigger.

This artwork has even longer and thicker tail than my model. Other M model has better proportions, but too bad i can't use it.

Here are back, up and forward throws:

Unfortunately, i am rather limited with stuff i can do, so, he won't stop if there is platform above and just clips through it. I know it was fixed in Project M with Charizard's Up Throw, but i don't know how they did that - his Up Throw coding doesn't shows how.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
with his forward throw, what happens if you go off the ledge?
Same thing that happens when you use Sonic's dash attack and back throw, Pikachu's back throw, Ganontackle, etc. when near the ledge - nothing. He will just stop moving forward. It happens with other characters' attacks and throws and can't be fixed anyhow, so, it won't be changed.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Downsizing his wings and making his tail shorter will make him look ridicolous (especially wings), but i can make his head smaller and neck a bit smaller since now both of his jaws are long, so, his head looks bigger, and his neck is thicker, so, it looks bigger.

This artwork has even longer and thicker tail than my model. Other M model has better proportions, but too bad i can't use it.
Lol his tail may be thicker, but it's not longer. Instead of using that picture for exact proportions, I was only trying to detail how a slightly smaller head and wingspan don't appear as ridiculous as some may think.

Other M Ridley (or an original model) would definitely suit him better, but you can still use clever animation techniques to make his wonky proportions work.

Best of luck to you on this one. I know this is a work in progress, but researching different animation principles might help you to refine the movements and make for a much more fluid Riddles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom