• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Unlocking Custom Moves - Method Compilation

MetalMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GabrieloMiguel
After getting the Wii U version, I noticed that unlocking Customs is harder than on the 3DS version, primarily due to nerfed Home Button Trick. As of last week, I decided to get all Custom Moves on Wii U version and tried every possible method that can be found on the internet, some with better results than others. Below I list all the methods I have found and my results.

First it is important to know that the game has some kind of bias when getting custom moves. If you played a couple of rounds as Falco before entering Target Blast, it is more likely to get his Custom Moves. There seems to be a slight bias with stages and opponents also. When trying to unlock for a certain character, try clearing some modes with that Character.

To me, this was one of the most useful methods on 3DS but one of the worst on Wii U. No home button makes it hard to guarantee equipment every round. 8 player battles are also more chaotic. This mode doesnt go as fast as the 3DS version and did not net me a considerable amount of customs

After the second round, bags of equipment start dropping. The difficulty seems to affect the chances of equipments appearing instead of trophies but the reward seems rather slim for fighting every character

This seems to depend on luck. When I entered the first time with DK, I got 3 new Customs in a 2:30 round. After that, no new Customs in 3 rounds. This mode also costs 900g per run so beware.

I found great success here. By playing as a charcacter then immediately going to Target Blast, Customs for that character generally tend to appear more, with the chance of being new at good odds. The only problem is that it is a tad slow. Stage 2 is the way to go as Ganondorf can consistently clear every target. Reverse Warlock Clears all but one on the first bomb(Do not move, just turn around and perform Reverse Warlock Punch. On the second bomb, get close to it, U-Smash, get close, U-Smash, get close U-Smash, it should be at the barrier now. Roll behind the bomb U-Smash and it should be near the center. get close to it and do a normal Warlock Punch to clear the last target).

For those with Turbo controllers, create a name tag with A as the special button. Select Ganondorf and go to Target Blast Stage 2. Activate the turbo function and watch him clear al but 2 targets automatically. This is not exactly fast as he will attempt all rounds, even the ones without equipment, and there is also the chance the equipment falls in one of the 2 targets he cant break. The main benefit of this is that since it is automatic, you can leave this on overnight or while you do something else to help you get some customs

Crazy orders works pretty well if you have an easy way to beat rounds(bat badge,quick bat,etc)and getting gold is easy if you pick any gold ticket after turn 10 which nets you at least 2500 on average.The problem with this mode(Besides dying and losing things) is that there are times where 19 turns nets you 7 new customs and times where it just gives you equipment.

Master orders got me most of my customs. choose one of the first 2 tickets and make sure to have enough money. It is extremely rewarding

TL;DR Master Orders, use Crazy Orders when running low on cash, then Target Blast and Trophy Rush to complete characters.

EDIT: someone teach me how to create spoilers

Last edited:

MetalMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GabrieloMiguel
Thanks, I was wondering how that was done. Anyways, Id love for anyone with a capture card to help me record video of the above methods

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
I'm down to help you I have a capture card.

Last edited:

A-9

Smash Rookie
NNID
DoctorBored
I've been using amiibos. Just put them into a match with each other, 99 lives, let them fight and reap the rewards. Gives you ~1000 coins, ~10 equipment, one or two trophies and usually one custom move.

MetalMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GabrieloMiguel
Awesome, if you can recreate the target blast method that would be awesome.

A-9: sadly I dont have amiibos but it would be nice if you could gather some data on the method(how long on average the matches are, if more amiibos mean more customs, etc)

MetalMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GabrieloMiguel
Yes, that is another great method for those with a turbo controller. Sadly I dont have one but I will add it to th main post.

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
I'm about 50 away now, been grinding the past few days...

Master Orders and Target Blast have been the most effective for me, by a wide margin.

Another interesting occurrence, though could be coincidental, was a few times I was looking to see what characters I had the least amount unlocked. I'd create a homerun bat/quick swing for them if possible, and immediately return to Master Orders or Target Blast.

For example, Jigglypuff, I only had 2-3 unlocked for her. Created a custom character with the equipment mentioned above and immediately returned to Master Orders. Within 10-15 minutes, I had unlocked ALL of her other custom moves.

Dedede was next, only had 4, within 15-20 minutes, had all of them. (I also used these characters in target blast, where I also began unlocking their moves)

Sandwiched between those new moves, were tons of lucario moves. I have been primarily using Lucario in target blast because it is rare I can't pick and pop the equipment target.

Has anyone noticed anything similar to this? It could just be absolute RNGesus blessing me, or something more with using a character to unlock those moves.

SSB4 BlueBlue

Smash Rookie
Try grinding in Classic (either Nothing Harder! or Standard) and you'll get a fair amount of the customs.
You'll get at least 1 every time you beat MH.

ninjagamer545

Smash Rookie
in the target blast strat instead of up smash I fully charged forward smash is soooooooooo much eiser and effective

Top Bottom