• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North Unity Melee Monthly

Unity Melee Monthly
Posted by SypherPhoenix
Alan and Sally Merten Hall
Saturday, August 3, 2019 - 11:00 AM
Until: Saturday, August 3, 2019 - 11:59 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: America/New_York)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/New_York

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord

About:

Unity aims to be a monthly Melee tournament with a consistently high standard of organization and an emphasis on accessibility and player experience. Unity is located within the metro-accessible UMD Campus, run by experienced TOs, and backed by support from the University of Maryland Super Smash Bros club for help with booking the venue and streaming the event. It's located in a great venue that should acommodate all of the player's needs: there is room for plenty of setups for friendlies and there are dining options located directly next to the room where the tournament is held. We plan on holding round robin pools whenever possible. We also hope to hold 3 Melee events per tournament: doubles, singles, and a fun event that will change, such as blitz crew battles, Cactuar Stamina Pancake, or items-on tournaments.

Venue:

The venue is the Baltimore Room of the Adele H. Stamp Student Union, also known simply as The Stamp. The room is a long dining area with a stage at the end, and it's filled with several movable tables and chairs (!) located near power outlets. It's also located directly next to a food court that has McDonalds, Saladworks, Moby **** Express, Sbarro's, Panda Express, Taco Bell, Panda Sushi, and Chic-Fil-A, so unlike the Computer Science building there is no need to worry about finding food or ordering delivery.

Driving & Parking:
Free parking is available on the weekends in the NON-METERED (or otherwise marked restricted) spots in Regent's Drive Parking Garage. The easiest way to get from the Regent's Drive Parking Garage to The Stamp is to park on the third floor, then take the bridge from the garage to Hornbake Plaza. From there you can walk westward along the northern end of the plaza and you will reach the eastern entrance to STAMP. The entrance is next to the rotunda of the Nyumburu Cultural Center, and has a circular staircase that wraps around an elevator. Exit the staircase or elevator on the Ground floor, and walk down the hallway. There is a marked entrance to the Baltimore room on your right underneath the sign for the restrooms.
It is about a 5 minute walk from the garage to the venue, so you may wish to pull into lot BB quickly to drop off your setup outside the east entrance to Stamp, and then park in Regent's.

Parking map:

Metro & Shuttle:
The venue is metro accessible. Take the Green Line to the College Park/University of Maryland metro station. From there take the free University of Maryland 104 shuttle from the College Park metro to the Regents Drive Garage stop marked on the map by a circle. Facing Regent's Drive garage, to the left will be Field House Dr heading east. Walk along Field House Dr until you reach the east entrance to The Stamp.

Shuttle map:
http://www.transportation.umd.edu/shuttle/schedules/current/104_CPM.pdf

Schedule

11:00 AM Opening
2:00 PM Doubles Signups End
4:00 PM Singles Signups End
?:?? PM Extra Cool Events

Pricing:

No Venue Fee​
$10 singles​
$10/team doubles​
Alternative events vary in cost and may be decided on the day of the tournament.​

Facebook Event Page:

Tournament Rules & Venue Conduct:

Streaming:

http://www.twitch.tv/umdsmash (prior to Unity 25)​

Tournament Brackets:

Last edited:

Wife

Smash Lord
Posting for the first time in who knows how long to say that I think this is fantastic and I'll be there.

Metro accessible, great venue, no venue fee, Melee only ... it's perfect. Can't wait.

IoSSBM

Smash Cadet
For an extra fun event, what about a randomized teams tourney?

Or what about a regular tourney but with added character bans?

Last edited:

PurpleDolphin

Smash Rookie
Couldnt go to the one in December, missed the January one because snow. Hoping this one is my chance! Looks like a great event, im thinking in the future if this works out we could expand into more games? (like the smashfests on fridays which i also want to start going to now)

tjgeorgen

Smash Cadet
NNID
tjgeorgen
3DS FC
1177-8358-6055
Couldnt go to the one in December, missed the January one because snow. Hoping this one is my chance! Looks like a great event, im thinking in the future if this works out we could expand into more games? (like the smashfests on fridays which i also want to start going to now)
This will be a melee-only event through its lifetime. A single-game event allows us to provide the best tournament experience possible. Multiple games only adds extra complications with setups and keeping track of entrants. It also cuts down on time and space. If other TOs are interested in hosting events for their games of interest, I think we've set a good precedent for single-day single-game tournies in a great venue, so they can definitely get in touch with us about doing their own thing. I could easily see Smash 4 or PM monthlies occurring at another time during the month (ours are towards the end of each month).

Last edited:

Riddix

Smash Rookie
Looking forward to going to the one here in March! Will be my first tourney!

Last edited:

Generic Human Male

Smash Rookie
Are any skill levels welcome? This will be my first event and I have a feeling I'm gonna get WRECKED lol
You are not alone sir. I'm bringing a friend of mine who is great at the game, but only the way sakurai intended it... my first tourney but I'm proficient in tech

aquacustom

Smash Rookie
Hey, sounds great I'm planning on attending this coming saturday, November 4th, but I was just wondering how brackets are set up. We go single elim? Double? And is matchup just first come first serve, i.e. I sign up then a friend signs up is our first match vs against each other, or randomized? Thanks!

tjgeorgen

Smash Cadet
NNID
tjgeorgen
3DS FC
1177-8358-6055
Hey, sounds great I'm planning on attending this coming saturday, November 4th, but I was just wondering how brackets are set up. We go single elim? Double? And is matchup just first come first serve, i.e. I sign up then a friend signs up is our first match vs against each other, or randomized? Thanks!
The tournament is double elimination. Everyone signs up for doubles before 2PM or singles before 4PM, then we create the brackets. We seed the brackets by skill and also make sure that nobody has to play their friends or people they play against a lot so they can get some variety in their tournament matches. We look forward to having you! Most people tend to show up around 1PM, so if you show up right at 11AM there might not be many people to play against.

Top Bottom