• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Underrated DLC Character Requests

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised Kamek doesn't come up more often as a potential second Yoshi rep what with the advent of Piranha Plant and the desire for more villains.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm surprised Kamek doesn't come up more often as a potential second Yoshi rep what with the advent of Piranha Plant and the desire for more villains.
Poochy stole Kamek's spotlight. :chuckle:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Rambi from Donkey Kong Country. He's been in more games than DK and K.Rool. Would be a great and unique inclusion and you know it.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I'm surprised the Battletoads, like Rash and Zitz, never get brought up. They were the first notable characters Rare created for Nintendo consoles. Plus, Battletoads has plenty of games on Nintendo consoles. The NES game in particular is infamous for how relentless its difficulty is, as well as the fun attacking animations featured in it that would fit right into Smash. Banjo-Kazooie may have been a more successful and beloved Rare game to include in Smash, but Battletoads was the first Rare project that put them on Nintendo's map, and I feel like that alone would generate some discussion. Especially considering the Battletoads series got rebooted on Xbox One recently, as well as Rash's guest appearance in the Killer Instinct reboot, based on another earlier game made by Rare for Nintendo.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
Some of my underrated character choices:

• Adeleine (Kirby) - Bandana Waddle Dee is usually the go-to Kirby character request
• Alisa (God Eater) - Heihachi, Lloyd/Yuri, Nightmare, and more recently KOS-MOS are the more talked-about Namco characters
• Etna/Laharl (Disgaea) - Characters from a niche JRPG series, so it’s understandable they don’t get talked about much
• Vaati (The Legend of Zelda) - Zelda fans usually want Impa or Skull Kid
• Veronica (Fire Emblem: Heroes) - Most Fire Emblem fans ask for a Three Houses character, Lyn, Hector, or sometimes Celica

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Adeleine (Kirby) - Bandana Waddle Dee is usually the go-to Kirby character request
I don't really think Kirby needs another character, but if he were to get one, I'd much rather have Adeleine than Waddle Dee.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
E. Gadd. Some people talk about King Boo, but E. Gadd is way more fun and original. This guy should also be in Mario Kart since the Wii version.

Naptec

Smash Cadet
Along my top 6 most wanted characters there is at least 4 (even 5 if I count Rayman) that re kinda underrated (unless you're in Europe, I guess):

Heavy Weapons Guy (TF2) - This one is just because I love this game, and even tho I know that if there's a Valve ref that'll be Gordon Freeman, it would be dope to see him spending 400000$ every 12 seconds just to shoot at people with his minigun

Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear) - Sol is basically the grandfather of the anime fighter subgenre (such as BlazBlue, Guilty Gear (duh), UNIST, and many more), and having some Guilty Gear music in Smash would be ****ing amazing

Any Kid Icarus rep - OK I'm obviously biased on this one since I'm a huge fan of Kid Icarus but anyway. My two most wanted characters are Hades (the best villin in any Nintendo series imo) and Magnus (or at least his Assist Trophy coming back to the game)

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
From the top of my head:
-Jin Kazama
-Mike Jones
-Lara Croft
-Terra Branford
-Captain Toad
-Prince Euden

Oddball

Smash Lord
On the subject of underrated, I just went looking for one of my most wanted characters, and couldn't even find a support thread for them.

I can't be the only one that Wants Pious Agustus from Eternal Darkness, can I?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
On the subject of underrated, I just went looking for one of my most wanted characters, and couldn't even find a support thread for them.

I can't be the only one that Wants Pious Agustus from Eternal Darkness, can I?
im sure ive seen that name at the top of a support list, i could be wrong though

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Ryza from Atelier Ryza, she is from is a unique RPG series. I think she would be very interesting.

Azcorban

Smash Cadet
Akira Howard (Astral Chain)
Ragna the Bloodedge (Blazblue Series)
Ori (Ori and the Blind Forest)

Oddball

Smash Lord
im sure ive seen that name at the top of a support list, i could be wrong though
I looked for it, couldn't find it, so I made one.

... and no replies. Apparently I really am the only one that wants Pious for Smash bros.

MurasameBro210456

Smash Rookie
NNID
TerraLobster456
Switch FC
SW-3749-7399-8764
I want Geno (Super Mario RPG), Felicia (Darkstalkers), Waluigi, Crash Bandicoot, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Klonoa, Mach Rider, Takamaru, Laboman & The Virtual Boy.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
You know, a Wario Land character I feel like doesn't get some love is Shake King himself. (He's my most wanted Wario rep, and is underrated, also seeing more of him would be awesome one day.)

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Gotta laugh at people posting incredibly popular picks in the 'underrated thread'.

Anyways my main two 'outlier' picks are Stylist from Style Savvy/New Style Boutique and Klonoa. The former could be a hilarious and really creative character repping a sim game that has history on the DS and 3DS, while the latter has an obvious moveset, desperately needs a revival and with Namco having such a huge hand in this game, could be a great rep for them.

Also I really doubt we're getting echo DLC, but I think Liquid Snake would be an awesome Snake echo, more so than Big Boss who would confuse non-MGS fan and would be less fun and flamboyant.

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I'd say the most underrated by far would be:
Toad, any Zelda character, Meowth and Eevee. Especially Eevee, seeing as it's marketed to a massive extent even having its own Twitter, one would expect people to be rallying for it even reaching top 10 popular request status, right? But no, not much...and I'm not even an Eevee fan mind you.

Other underrated picks I'd say would be:
Anna (FE), Kamek, Eggman, Tails, Jibanyan (or someone from Yokai Watch), Retro character picks in general and King Boo

And lesser so but still worthy of mentions:
Gengar, Gardevoir (or some form of notable Hoenn or Unova origin Pokemon really), Fawful and Tom Nook
I want to say Starfy, but I feel it's more in need of a series revival than anything

Note these aren't necessarily picks I would want, just some I find overlooked.

Last edited:

Hedgehugs

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7897-0445-8488
For some reason Eggman's been off my radar despite being a Sonic fan. If Tails (who isn't really that underrated but despite being maybe the character with the 3rd most amount of appears in the games he isn't as highly requested as Shadow and Knuckles) doesn't get in, I'll welcome Eggman with open arms. How cool would it be to make Sonic & Mario VS. Eggman & Bowser fight outside of the Olympic Games?

Anyway, my underrated picks:

Almost any Playstation rep that isn't Crash or Spyro, examples of the top of my head would be:

Parappa, Nathan Drake, Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Dexter, Kat(?), etc. etc.

I mostly want Drake and Ratchet but I don't have hope for them actually getting in.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
With the 2nd fighters pass I think we will get at least 1 1st party rep to promote a new game like Byleth and Corrin. That being said I think Demise is someone people are underestimating.

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
I would say both Qbby and Fawful are some pretty underrated picks. Boxboy is pretty much HAL's next biggest franchise behind Kirby and has been referenced alongside him in his games and whatnot. Not to mention, but three 3DS titles and a collection on the Switch on top of having an amiibo is pretty great. Fawful on the other hand I also think is underrated due to the fact that when it comes to Mario rpg characters it's either Geno or Paper Mario who mainly get brought up, but Fawful plays the role of major antagonist in TWO Mario rpg titles. Fawful is the only antagonist to pull this off (who isn't Bowser). Not only that, but both of the games he did appear in were remade on the 3DS and he is also a fan favorite character on top of that.

Also speaking of HAL reps, the UFO from Part Time UFO would be a pretty good mobile rep as well although I could probably see a Dragalia Lost character getting in before him though.

In terms of third party characters, there are so many choices: Amaterasu, Kazuma Kiryu, Crypto, Ryudo, and Overlord Laharl.

Amaterasu: A great choice for a Capcom rep, however it seems that Dante is the more popular pick so she is not as discussed (but I think this also goes for the likes of Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, and any RE character as well).

Kiryu: When it comes to Sega, I think Yakuza is (currently) the next biggest franchise that can be placed in Smash and all of his games have been brought into the modern generation of consoles so he's as relevant as ever. Besides, it's not like he's being placed in Tekken or anything.

Crypto: THQ has returned from the dead and is bringing back Destroy All Humans from the grave, I find it strange that no one has really been mentioning the possibility of Crypto being a contender for a character in Smash. He would also be unique due to being an alien with major focus on ranged weaponry and psychic abilities.

Ryudo: The first two Grandia games just got HD remasters on the Switch and the Grandia franchise is highly recognized by jrpg fans all around. Grandia II is also considered to be an amazing game (especially one of the best Dreamcast titles), so it would be amazing if the protagonist of that game got in. Only problem I can see here is the "yet another sword fighter" complaint coming up, but Ryudo can utilize lightning magic and has his bird sidekick, Sky to aid him as well.

Laharl: With the popularity of the Disgaea franchise and it's presence on the Switch, I can't believe that people do not talk much about this guy getting into Smash. The best contender for a Nippon Ichi Software rep is seriously this guy right here and he would also be a great rep for srpgs (you know aside from FE being the only srpg reps).

I can't really speak much for indie characters as there have only been references to them so far, but I really think that the protagonist of Hollow Knight should really make it in and not enough people are talking about it. There is so much discussion over Shante, Reimu, Sans, Cuphead, Shovel Knight, Hat Kid, and even Freddy Fazbear, but I have not seen a lot of Hollow Knight being mentioned despite how amazing of a game it is. I also think this goes for Isaac from the Binding of Isaac as well.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Ryo Hazuki from Shenmue.

Despite the game's name recognition, the legion of Dreamcast fans, the massive fan reception for the Shenmue III Kickstarter, and how groundbreaking Shenmue was, his Smash thread is mostly crickets.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know i dont know if theyd count as underrated but a character i see almost never suggested (for a series were just about everyone is suggested) are the sims. its a fairly large video game series youd think itd come up every once in a while, then again the series is owned by EA i believe and nobody like them as far as i can tell

thats not to say im a supporter, though id probably get them cause of how daft itd be, just a thought

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I already posted in this thread. The character I talked about last time was Goemon so now I'm going to mention another potential underrated Konami rep Bill Rizer/Lance Bean from Contra. It's so bizarre to me no one ever brings them up in speculation at all since Contra was one of the biggest games on the NES even more so I would say than the Castlevania games. The Konami code is the most famous video game cheat code in history and for that alone they should get in.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Leif (Fire Emblem)
Mona (WarioWare)
Mike Jones (StarTropics)
Big Daddy (BioShock)
Manny (Grim Fandango)
Gordon Freeman (Half-Life) or Chell (Portal)

BowserKing

Smash Lord
My choices

Fawful: while I do want Geno, I think Fawful should get in. As a fan a Mario and Luigi: Bowser’s Inside story, Fawful would make a great addition
Dark Bowser: He is overshadowed by Dry Bowser, and I think Dark Bowser has potential.
Lugia: My most wanted fighter and most wanted Pokémon as well, but yet I’m surprised that one of the most popular Legendaries is not discussed much. It could be the size, but if Ridley can make it in, then Lugia could too.
There are quite a bit of Sword/Shield Pokémon that could fit like Boltound and Frosmoth, but I can’t choose between multiple.
Paula: A lot of people think that Ninten would be a Ness Echo, and honestly, I prefer it if Paula is the Ness echo
Second F-Zero Rep: the roaster needs another fighter from F-Zero, with my main choices being Bio-Rex, Jody Summer and Black Shadow
Elma: Overshadowed by Rex and Pyra, and I think Elma would make a great addition to Smash.
Muddy Mole, Chibi-Robo and Takamaru: Three obscure or Retro Reps that have playable potential.
Kloana: my main choice of a second Namco Rep, due to unique potential and being from an underrated game franchise
Creature (E.V.O: Search for Eden): the protagonist from the cult classic would be a fun fighter, with an evolution gimmick and lots of great soundtracks
Preytor: If the roaster needs anything, it’s a playable bug, and Preytor would be my main choice. As a fan of War of the Monsters, I approve of Preytor getting in, even if she is the least likely choice.

That is all for now

Top Bottom