• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Underdog DLC Picks

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Sorry if this thread is too similar to other threads or if these conversations would be better for the individual support threads. I know in particular the peculiar dlc picks thread looks similar but I look at that as more of surprise, unexpected picks. The idea of this thread is general discussion of less obscure fighters who you think are flying under the radar and not really being taking seriously or being discussed too much yet would make sense and would not be too surprising especially to you.

2 fighters that I feel fit this description are Hayabusa and KOS-MOS. Both are owned by companies Nintendo has worked closely with for a long time and are based in same country which may make them a little easier to work directly with. Hayabusa is a classic, iconic character and DLC could be a way to promote a potential release of Ninja Gaiden on NES for Switch Online (I mean we do have other Koei Tecmo games already on there). I do not know much about Xenoblade (have not played yet but i do plan to eventually) but you cannot deny the rise of the series and from my understanding KOS-MOS does seem to be an important character in the Xeno franchise. I am just really surprised to not see the characters come up more in other general DLC threads and stuff but I honestly see them as decent contenders and I think they would be cool additions as you may be able to tell by my signature.

Anyone else have any more thoughts or ideas?

Last edited:

Zeldacenter

Smash Rookie
I would like to see more reps from the metal gear solid series. They could be an echo of snake probably if it was say ocelot, but you could have cool characters with agility and similarities to shei. There are tons of super soldiers in mgs. Gray fox or Raider are known for their proficiency in CQB. I feel like mgs characters would just be really cool, but maybe that’s just me.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think people are really sleeping on Sceptile/Grovyle. They were both very popular in the ballot era, but they don't even have a spirit to compensate,

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
Edit: Fudge I misread it.
I would say Goemon from the Mystical Ninja series. Adding another Konami represent, most of his games were on the Famicon/NES even though the series is still unknown with the exception of one game on the SNES and 2 on the N64.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think people are really sleeping on Sceptile/Grovyle. They were both very popular in the ballot era, but they don't even have a spirit to compensate,
As much as I generally think we shouldn’t receive another Pokémon this game...

If it’s Sceptile/Grovyle, my personal bias, would not allow that, but actively jump for joy.

God, Gen 3 desperately needs somes attention in Smash (And Gen 5... and Gen 2 needs a better rep despite how cute Pichu is...)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The problem is, while they are popular within the context of Pokemon, their Smash popularity comes from wanting a grass-type starter, which Ivysaur's return killed the desire for.

Of course, Sakurai might add Sceptile if he can think of a fun moveset. Gen 3/grass-type representation is just a bonus.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Okay, here's one. Ray the Flying Squirrel from Sonic Mania Plus. I really like this character's classic cartoon character charm, but I googled it and literally no one on the internet has ever talked about the possibility of him in Smash. It's most likely because he's literally only been in two video games ever, one being super old and the other being super recent. Obviously Tails would come first, hey, I like Ray.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I feel like main characters from big releases coming out have a good shot at making it in. Like not many people are talking about King Boo but I feel like it may be likely he gets in to promote Luigi's Mansion 3.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I've been banging hard on the Sub-Zero drum for a while now. I think he'd add new mechanics the game doesn't have (Impressive for its roster size, not even including echoes and semi-echoes), would represent one of the most iconic fighting games of all time that is half the reason that game ratings exist, and would be instantly recognizable by people who are even semi familiar with video games. I'm hoping he'll make it in, and that he'd be announced at EVO

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
My underdog DLC picks:

- Dixie Kong: Yes she has her fans (myself included obviously) but to most people she isn't viewed as "hype" which honestly saddens me. She really is one of the last Nintendo All-Stars not left included alongside Toad and Bandana Dee. The difference between her and Bandana Dee is that Bandana Dee (and the Kirby series) is EXTREMELY popular in Japan and is usually in most people's predictions for who will be DLC. Most people write off Dixie because 1. Seems most Nintendo fans nowadays view DK as a 3rd rate Nintendo series and only know of DK through Mario spin-offs when the series is so much more than that (5th best selling franchise afterall) and 2. They view her as "Diddy in drag" and if she were to get in it would've been as an echo nothing more and since we know echoes aren't DLC people wrote her off when in fact Dixie has so much more to add than just being a Diddy echo. Dixie is constantly overlooked within the greater community because at this point if you aren't a wild out there 3rd party character no one seems to give a **** about you which is sad that people don't seem to want Nintendo characters in a NINTENDO fighting game anymore..

- DJ Octavio: Yes I know we got Inklings and it would be kinda hard to come up with a moveset for this guy. But I love me some wacky over the top Nintendo villains. In fact after K.Rool I say DJ Octavio might be my second favorite Nintendo villain. Plus I really just want an Octavio amiibo.

-Sylux: He doesn't get much support because well he's not THAT major of a character yet but Prime 4 is on the horizon and we know from the endings of both Federation Force and Prime 3 as well as Tanabe's comments that Sylux will play a major role in Prime 4. People always jump to Three Houses and Gen 8 as the "advertising picks" but leave off Sylux for some reason. Yes I know we got Ridley and Dark Samus so adding Sylux too would be a little overkill but Idc I love Metroid soo...

-Medusa: She has some fans but once again it ain't much. I'd love to see a female villain added to the roster (well just more females in general since we only got Inkling Girl and Isabelle this go round) and I say she is underdog because while she has the chance to be unique her best shot was definitely as an echo of Palutena. Not to mention she is usually in Viridi's shadow when it comes to another Kid Icarus "rep".

- Dr. Coyle: I really want an ARMS rep in this game. Spring-Man and Ribbon Girl were deconfirmed unfortunately. While ARMS is new and a very divisive game. I personally enjoyed it. I really like Dr. Coyle she (like Medusa) is a cool villainous female character. I say she is an underdog because out of all the ARMS cast she seems to be the least thought about (probably because she was the last free DLC character and most people had moved on from ARMS at that point). I also classify her as an underdog because I'll admit making an ARMS character work within the context of Smash is a tall order from a balancing perspective.

^ Those are my "underdog picks" I know some may question how they are "underdogs" compared to your choices but I'm comparing them to your Geno's, Banjo's, Shantae's, Sora's, Bandana Dee's, Rayman's, Crash Bandicoot's, or any other 3rd parties (minus Dee) of the Smash world.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
Phoenix Wright: Just think of the big Capcom characters that are bigger than him. That is all.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia somehow fits the role of both underdog and pipe dream, I think. Logic would dictate that the Tales series isn't important enough for Bamco to care about getting into Smash, as it's niche in the west and popular but not *that* popular in Japan, and Lloyd only stands out because he was part of the first 3D game (and the first one to hit western shores in an eternity), and the first one to hit a Nintendo console since the first game... yet at the same time, Bamco working on the game, plus the series becoming more dedicated to being known on more than one system, plus Lloyd being known enough to get a Mii costume in 4 gives it that real "What if, just maybe..." factor.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Elma and Fiora, both from the Xenoblade series. Yes I know Fiora’s in Shulk’s final smash, but that didn’t stop Chrom, who’s also additionally still in Robin’s victory animations to boot. As for Elma, yes I know X is kind of the black sheep of Xenoblade, but it was a huge hit on the Wii U and it would be a shame to leave that out when we have playable Inklings and the protagonist of the Wii U Fatal Frame as an Assist Trophy.

Also, Black Shadow. I know F-Zero is dormant as a series but maybe adding in the series’ main “villain” 20 years after Falcon debuted in OG Smash could be a nice tie in to a new F-Zero.

Last edited:

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
Edit: Fudge I misread it.
I would say Goemon from the Mystical Ninja series. Adding another Konami represent, most of his games were on the Famicon/NES even though the series is still unknown with the exception of one game on the SNES and 2 on the N64.
I'm always on the Ganbare Goemon series train as well ^v'
but I wouldn't want goemon alone. All or nothing. Four man (pokemon trainer) swap style with Ebisumaru, Yae and Sasuke or nothing at all :202:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Sylux and a Pikmin Rep.

Both series have a game on the horizon. Sylux is strongly indicated to be a major character in his while Pikmin is a pretty strong little series that gets overlooked on here by such a huge margin that it's ridiculous.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If you think Ryu Hayabusa is an underdog, then 4 of my top 5 are underdogs.

1. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
2. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
3. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
4. Kunio/Riki [River City Ransom]

My number 5 is Erdrick, but it seems like he might have an actual shot with all the talk of another SE rep on the way.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
A Style Savvy character would be a great underdog choice, considering it's a popular series, particularly in Japan and Europe, but hardly anyone ever talks about it because it's explicitly aimed at women and is a fashion show / clothing business simulator. I think the character would catch lots of people off guard but would be given a warm welcome, especially among women who like Smash.

Creamfrazzz

Smash Rookie
My prediction for the next 4 DLC characters are as follows.
Banjo and kazooie
Dante from devil may cry
Nightmare from soul caliber
Sora from kingdom hearts

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
At this point, I think most of my Nintendo picks would be considered underdogs.

- Chibi Robo
- Isaac
- Lip
- Excite Biker
- Chorus Kids
- Meowth
- Eevee
- Balloon Fighter

D

Deleted member

I find some of my dream picks like Adeleine, Pauline or Captain Rainbow as underdogs regarding the possible Smash game after Ultimate or even the latter itself.

Sure, Pauline is in the New Donk stage, but Toon Link is also in the Spirit Tracks stage and the team found a way to work with that (it is also worth to mention that Pauline only appears on New Donk City when you pick Jump Up Super Star as the song).

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
They should add Yugi Moto's grandpa's professor friend's anime-only pet cat to Smash Bros. I think it would be a solid pick for a new Konami rep.

Top Bottom