• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Under the Southern Cross, Anything is Possible!" | Mike Jones Support Thread

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Yep. This is exactly what I expected. I'm getting too tired of waiting nowadays, it's depressing.

Thanks to NES on Nintendo Switch Online I was finally able to play through and beat StarTropics. Fantastic game and Mike deserves to be in Smash. I support
On a more positive note, I'm really glad you enjoyed the game. It's always nice to see more and more people play StarTropics and showing their support for our favorite ace pitcher.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
Here's a peculiar thing that happened back in Smash 4! In other words, there are no excuses.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
You know, it's depressing how StarTropics always gets left out.
On the bright side, it's interesting how Nintendo has shown some sudden interest in ST this generation. Here's hoping things change this E3! 🤞

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
You know, it's depressing how StarTropics always gets left out.
On the bright side, it's interesting how Nintendo has shown some sudden interest in ST this generation. Here's hoping things change this E3! 🤞
Of all the things to put on there, they had to add Mega Man's Soccer?

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
Tweets like this one always motivate me to keep making more StarTropics content. Not to mention how I have come across tweets in various languages praising the series! Some of those languages include Spanish, French, Portuguese, German, and Japanese!

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Could an expensive chip be the reason why both ST games didn't release in Japan?
Here's an article that talks about it: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Trivia/StarTropics
If that's the case, then what are they waiting for?! This is no longer a problem!
I agree, we’re past the age where Japanese and American cultures are too separated to appreciate/understand one another. The internet did a great job of shrinking that disconnect and nowadays the divide is barely there at all.

I’ve been playing the Mysterious Murasame Castle on my 3ds and me not speaking Japanese hasn’t hampered my experience at all. I understand what a tanuki and a tengu is enough and I’ve figured out what a daimyo is compared to a shogun. It doesn’t feel “foreign” to me despite me being born and raised in America. I can’t imagine a Japanese person would have a hard time figuring out what’s going on in StarTropics.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
I agree, we’re past the age where Japanese and American cultures are too separated to appreciate/understand one another. The internet did a great job of shrinking that disconnect and nowadays the divide is barely there at all.

I’ve been playing the Mysterious Murasame Castle on my 3ds and me not speaking Japanese hasn’t hampered my experience at all. I understand what a tanuki and a tengu is enough and I’ve figured out what a daimyo is compared to a shogun. It doesn’t feel “foreign” to me despite me being born and raised in America. I can’t imagine a Japanese person would have a hard time figuring out what’s going on in StarTropics.
Not to mention how they released EarthBound despite the game being filled with tons of American pop culture references! I didn't even know it had that many until I watched a video about it!

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
Sadly, we didn't get anything this E3. But on the bright side, it seems like Nintendo is no longer that afraid of bringing dormant series back! So far, we have gotten the Famicom Detective Club games, and now, Advance Wars 1&2. Not to mention other small stuff like Murasame Castle, Panel de Pon, and NES Fire Emblem! We also know that Devolver Digital wants to develop a new StarTropics (hopefully Nintendo gives them the green light). There is also challenger pack 11 to look forward to; let's hope we get at least a Mii costume or spirit event. Let's keep spreading the word about StarTropics, and encourage Nintendo to bring back even more series by supporting these recent projects of theirs.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
I'm pretty sure most of us have at one point discussed Mike's moveset, victory theme, and taunts. But what about his victory animations? I kind of struggle to think of anything specific. Do you guys think it would be too much if characters like Mica, Nav-Com, and Peter 🦜 showed up for said animations?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm pretty sure most of us have at one point discussed Mike's moveset, victory theme, and taunts. But what about his victory animations? I kind of struggle to think of anything specific. Do you guys think it would be too much if characters like Mica, Nav-Com, and Peter 🦜 showed up for said animations?
I could see him having one where he struggles to hear the announcer proclaim his victory since he's got bananas in his ears, only to figure it out and jump up in celebration. (is the "bananas in his ears" gag overused? I'm not sure)

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
I could see him having one where he struggles to hear the announcer proclaim his victory since he's got bananas in his ears, only to figure it out and jump up in celebration. (is the "bananas in his ears" gag overused? I'm not sure)
If they incorporate that particular gag, I can see them using it as one of his taunts. The fact that he is not a playable character or at least an assist trophy is utterly disappointing. Especially when you take into account all the potential he and his series have.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
The biggest things in our favor are those two images, Sakurai tweeted. I hate to say this, but I feel like if we are indeed getting something, then it will most likely be a Mii costume. I just hope that when NoA read our letter they had the realization that Smash does have a bias and we are tired of it! Also, if we don't get anything, then we have to be vocal about it!

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
In case you missed the StarTropics II run at SGDQ2021, here it is.

The game hit big numbers on Twitch yesterday, but not as much as ST1, most likely because of the fact the run started at 4 AM my time...
Still, its nice to see ST2 getting the recognition it deserves and hopefully it will show up on the Switch eventually.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Obscure Nintendo Twitter shining a light on StarTropics

Clicky

(sorry I don’t know how to post the link as an image)
Next to the smiley face, click on the three dots with an arrow next to it. Select Media, and it makes it so you can embed the Tweet.

smash puffle

Smash Ace

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
Supposedly Nintendo does archive the source code of their games, but do they also archive all of their official artwork? Anyways, here's a rare illustration of Mike and Zoda.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Well... at least I got a game from my wishlist... Jelly Boy got in the service before ST2 everyone.

For context, Jelly Boy was in my NSO wishlist:

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
Here are some of the games that have referenced StarTropics and vice versa.
I honestly wonder if there might be more games that have referenced the series out there.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
Let's help them spread the word!

IzukuXYang4Life

Banned via Warnings
Hey sign me up as a supporter.

I would rather have Mike Jones in the game as opposed to more worthless garbage like Pyra/Mythra Or Isabella.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
Imma just pop in and say this ..

Can we PLEASE get at least a track? My favorite nes track of all time?

Please Nintendo!..

Both StarTropics games have amazing music! If Mike can't join this game as a playable character, then at the very least, Nintendo should give us a Mii costume and a music track.

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
Heck, how about a spirit/trophy that at least acknowledges that this series was a thing that existed? I feel that isn’t too much to ask. I know Sakurai has done sooooo much with this game and series as a whole but the omissions are weirdly glaring at times
StarTropics is the most notorious omission, but there is also: Balloon Kid, Geist, and Cruis'n. (Maybe there are more, but those are the ones I know about)

There's no way Sakurai doesn't or hasn't at least heard of StarTropics! I've encountered multiple Japanese Nintendo fans on Twitter who know about the series. He said he imported a copy of Super Punch-Out to Japan because the game was taking too long to be released in said territory. Heck, even an interviewer straight-up mentioned ST while interviewing Sakurai!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Here are some of the games that have referenced StarTropics and vice versa.
I honestly wonder if there might be more games that have referenced the series out there.
Refresh my memory, how was StarTropics refernced in all of these games? I remember stuff like Animal Crossing and Pilotwings 64, but I'm a bit lost on everything else...

Heck, how about a spirit/trophy that at least acknowledges that this series was a thing that existed? I feel that isn’t too much to ask. I know Sakurai has done sooooo much with this game and series as a whole but the omissions are weirdly glaring at times
StarTropics is the most notorious omission, but there is also: Balloon Kid, Geist, and Cruis'n. (Maybe there are more, but those are the ones I know about)

There's no way Sakurai doesn't or hasn't at least heard of StarTropics! I've encountered multiple Japanese Nintendo fans on Twitter who know about the series. He said he imported a copy of Super Punch-Out to Japan because the game was taking too long to be released in said territory. Heck, even an interviewer straight-up mentioned ST while interviewing Sakurai!
StarTropics, Gumshoe, Tin Star - all US only releases that are all missing any reference in Smash. Talk about a pattern
Exactly how I feel in regards to Pilotwings 64. Heck, that game's case is even more unusual considering it WAS released in Japan. Yet Smash acts as if that game NEVER existed. Also, do Balloon Kid AND Cruis'n really not have anything in Smash? Geist, I sort of get because it wasn't released in Japan, but the other two... well, I'd think music or something would represent them.

Now that I mention all of this... this interview might be of interest to everyone here. https://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/30/nintendodreamssbm1/

Dr. Richie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5973-6666-0298
Refresh my memory, how was StarTropics refernced in all of these games? I remember stuff like Animal Crossing and Pilotwings 64, but I'm a bit lost on everything else...

Exactly how I feel in regards to Pilotwings 64. Heck, that game's case is even more unusual considering it WAS released in Japan. Yet Smash acts as if that game NEVER existed. Also, do Balloon Kid AND Cruis'n really not have anything in Smash? Geist, I sort of get because it wasn't released in Japan, but the other two... well, I'd think music or something would represent them.

Now that I mention all of this... this interview might be of interest to everyone here. https://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/30/nintendodreamssbm1/
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, none of the Cruis'n games have been released in Japan. I have done some research on the series but could find anything about the games releasing in said territory. Geist was eventually going to be released in Japan, but Nintendo canceled said release at the minute.

Regarding all of those StarTropics references:
• ST2 has a Koopa Tropa
• You collect tetrads in ST2
• ST1 has an enemy resembling an Octorock
• F-Zero X introduced a racer named Zoda
• Nav-Com's design is inspired by R.O.B.
• The Spanish version of Project X Zone 2 references a certain someone shoving bananas in his hears and having a yo-yo

Top Bottom