• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Under the Southern Cross, Anything is Possible!" | Mike Jones Support Thread

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Ok, so quite a few things have happened in the past few weeks (besides confirmation that papagenos supports Mike):

- Bad news first. StarTropics 2 is still nowhere to be found on the Switch. Very disapointing lineup for August, to be honest.
- I made a challenger pack concept for Mike:
mikejones_DLC_PACKv2.png

- I found this tweet from a Japanese user. Pretty cool!
- Also in the Discord we found an article from a Japanese magazine!
https://legendsoflocalization.com/video-games-and-japans-three-main-writing-systems/
It talks about StarTropics! We didn't see that one coming!

Here's an English translation, thanks to Higsby on Discord:
"(NES) StarTropics - Nintendo
An action RPG with a top-down view similar to that of "Dragon Quest" where you defeat enemies while solving a variety of puzzles. It has a system of changing screens that resembles the one found in "The Legend of Zelda". This isn't surprising as it's a game made by Nintendo. The inside of the caves can be quite puzzling, so the player won't get bored.
The game is set in the southern islands and the main character is a 15 year old boy named Mike. He travels there at the invitation of his uncle who is a highly regarded scientist. However, his uncle is nowhere to be found... Using weapons like a yo-yo and bat, he sets off with the goal of safely rescuing his uncle.
An American version of The Legend of Zelda?
Whoa, this is the field map.
The shaman who guides the protagonist to the caves.
Without realizing it you yell "oh my gosh".
The caves are tit full of danger. (Isn't that strange.) "

We still don't where this article comes from. Maybe we can ask Mato about it... speaking of which, this is from the comment section of the page:

It seems he's been interested in making a Japanese translation of StarTropics for a while, but hasn't had the time for it. Now how amazing would it be to see Japanese players finally play ST in their native language?
- Found a moveset on GameFAQs: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77408929
- The SmashTropics twitter now has 50 followers!!!
- Lastly, there's this video I found. I don't think it has been posted here yet.

I know this is a lenghty post, but so much has happened in such a short time, I needed to share all of it. If you have any new info on Mike or anything ST related, please post it here and on the Discord if you haven't joined yet. Make sure to follow the SmashTropics twitter as well if you haven't. What do you guys think? Please post your thoughts below. The more active this thread gets, the better.

PS: If you dont see any images then smashboards broke the images again, i think you can view them if you click the reply button.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Mike still has a shot.
Also this is something we were thinking about on discord:
View attachment 237074
I always felt like StarTropics was something Retro could be doing. Even that Reggie picture where there's a robotic hand covered up, could be Nav-Com or something.

Never say never I guess, I mean Famicom Detective Club came back so...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So uh...
Its time to REALLY be loud about ST2 I guess.
If it was at least one game weekly, it would be a big win. But I doubt we’ll get more than one game a month. 2 tops, and split among the NES and SNES.

Hope ST2 comes really soon. I’m worried they’ll skip over it. I also need Murasame’s Mysterious Castle, and Earthbound Beginnings. (And Súper Punch Out).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So uh...
Its time to REALLY be loud about ST2 I guess.
On the plus side, they're still releasing NES games. I figured they were done with it once the SNES app came out.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I know this is mentioned in the OP, but still... This is very depressing.
Also we MIGHT see a papagenos video on Mike. Hopefully it will happen soon.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I was trying to think of what fights Mike would have for his Spirit Board.

This is what I came up with.

star trop.png

Oddball

Smash Lord
just pasted the images into gimp and used two different fill textures to give it some background.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
GREAT NEWS EVERYONE!
The campaign has reached 100 followers! Thanks for everyone here who follows and supports the campaign.
(also sorry for the triple post pls dont hurt me)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
GREAT NEWS EVERYONE!
The campaign has reached 100 followers! Thanks for everyone here who follows and supports the campaign.
(also sorry for the triple post pls dont hurt me)
That's great! Let's keep this train going!

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Dewott on the StarTropics discord found 8 votes for Mike in the Sabi/papagenos/ScottTheWoz poll.
Sin título.png

Kind of... depressing, but I guess it's better than nothing.

The campaign has now reached 150 followers!
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Now i know that puyo is a puzzle game compared to a lenghty adventure game like ST, but still.

I also want to bring this OLD Shesez video to your attention:
I wish he remade this or something.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
It's nice to dream, isn't it?
fighterspirit.png

Also I'm going to work on a DLC Spirit Board for Mike, thanks to a template by OctaneforSmash on Twitter. He also made the template I used for this image.

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
With all these popular requests being deconfirmed, and Sakurai adding that the 5th DLC is someone nobody knows about, we can only hope...

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Guys, what if there was a yo-yo powerup in Super Mario Maker 2 that lets you transform into Mike Jones??? We still have time to ask for it before the big 30th anniversary day. Now this is something else we could push besides Smash.

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
Hypothetically, if Startropics were to come back, would you prefer a "Link's Awakening" style reboot for both games or would you prefer 3D, open-world Startropics game?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hypothetically, if Startropics were to come back, would you prefer a "Link's Awakening" style reboot for both games or would you prefer 3D, open-world Startropics game?
I'd take either. Obviously a huge 3D open world is more exciting a return, but I'd worry that something as expensive as that won't be able to meet sales expectations and kill the series. Plus Link's Awakening style fits the series perfectly.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
So an interesting development has surfaced:
image1.jpg
image0 (4).jpg

This may not mean anything, but it is really weird indeed. What if Next Level Games is making a StarTropics remake instead of Retro? It makes you think, specially considering that they made Punch-Out Wii. Both Punch-Out and StarTropics were made by the same people at R&D3 too, so it kinda fits...

Please tell me what you think!

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
View attachment 250257 View attachment 250258
This may not mean anything, but it is really weird indeed. What if Next Level Games is making a StarTropics remake instead of Retro? It makes you think, specially considering that they made Punch-Out Wii. Both Punch-Out and StarTropics were made by the same people at R&D3 too, so it kinda fits...

Oh, my Lord... OK, that's actually REALLY interesting...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
View attachment 250257 View attachment 250258

There’s so much on my mind about this...

Getting the already mentioned R&D3 Theory out of the way, there’s also this.

The whole pig’s but gag, unless it’s an inside joke, is the only recurring gag in ST 1 and 2.
Like.. not even the bananas in ears thing carried over to ST2, but the pig’s butt did.

Also, if it was meant to be spooky, they would have gone with the pig’s face, as that could be creepier.

And finally, if I’m getting this right, Kensuke Tanabe is the head of Next Level Games, right? He, at one point during Iwata Asks interview, pretty much promised Iwata that he would resurrect games made by the R&D2/3 studio. He made a few, including Punch Out Wii and Pilot Wings Resort.. But ST is the glaring omission.

Many Japanese developers thought very highly of Iwata, and some of them feel like they owed him something. So for example, Yuji Horii finished Dragon Quest XIs for Switch as a promise to Iwata to bring the game over to a Nintendo home console, as a promise made to Iwata.
Sakurai also made a quote of the sort regarding Smash Ultimate.

So if Tanabe also felt like keeping his promise, then StarTropics should be next on his list

Phew... rant over.

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
There’s so much on my mind about this...

Getting the already mentioned R&D3 Theory out of the way, there’s also this.

The whole pig’s but gag, unless it’s an inside joke, is the only recurring gag in ST 1 and 2.
Like.. not even the bananas in ears thing carried over to ST2, but the pig’s butt did.

Also, if it was meant to be spooky, they would have gone with the pig’s face, as that could be creepier.

And finally, if I’m getting this right, Kensuke Tanabe is the head of Next Level Games, right? He, at one point during Iwata Asks interview, pretty much promised Iwata that he would resurrect games made by the R&D2/3 studio. He made a few, including Punch Out Wii and Pilot Wings Resort.. But ST is the glaring omission.

Many Japanese developers thought very highly of Iwata, and some of them feel like they owed him something. So for example, Yuji Horii finished Dragon Quest XIs for Switch as a promise to Iwata to bring the game over to a Nintendo home console, as a promise made to Iwata.
Sakurai also made a quote of the sort regarding Smash Ultimate.

So if Tanabe also felt like keeping his promise, then StarTropics should be next on his list

Phew... rant over.

Do you have a link to that interview? I'd like to take a look at it.

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
Here:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/punchout/0/0

I don’t remember which chapter it is, but it’s a worthwhile read either way.

Ooooh, now that IS interesting! It seems like that interview is the brightest glimmer of hope for our hero. If Tanabe really does take it upon himself to resurrect games made by Takeda, Startropics being next just makes the most sense. Takeda directed and wrote the games, making them his brainchild. If there was any series he'd want brought back the most, it's that one.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I can't seem to find the "resurrecting R&D2/3 games" quote you're talking about. Am I missing something here or am I just blind?
Ok, I haven’t revised this in a while, so I’m not 100% sure if this holds up, but here it goes.

Attachments

Top Bottom