• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Under the Southern Cross, Anything is Possible!" | Mike Jones Support Thread

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Test of island courage

Stage 1: C-Island :ultcharizard:
Stage 2: Tortimer Island :ultinkling::ultinkling::ultinkling:
Stage 3: Delfino :ultincineroar:
Stage 4: Kongo Jungle :ultkrool:
Stage 5: :ulttoonlink:
Stage 6: Ice Mountain :ulticeclimbers:
Stage 7: (Bonus stage)
Stage 8: Dracula

References:
1 = C-serpent
2 = Octo the Huge’s minions
3 = Magma The Fierce
4 = Captain Bell’s ship lack of boss replaced with the closest character to being a pirate of the seas.
5 = Representing the island cruising of chapter 6
6 = Sumocho twins
8 = Zoda / Prime form.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I can't believe I haven't posted on this topic before. I would love to see Mike Jones as a playable character in Smash Bros Ultimate as DLC. Sign me up as a supporter!

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
When talking about a Startropics reboot, I cant help but bring this up:
reggie-retro-studio-photoframe-apr182019-1.jpg

Lots of people already know about the mysterious robotic character hidden behind Metal Mario, but nobody knows who it actually is.

If I were to hazard a hopeful guess, I'd say it's a rebooted version of NAV-COM. Unlikely, sure, but definitely a possibility. Startropics has quite a few robots in the game, so should we ever get a reboot, it wouldnt be unlikely to see a major robotic character contribute to the story.

Edit: I just made the realization that our robotic friend has only 4 fingers. Fictional characters having 4 fingers is a trait for western animation and character design, which may boost his chances ever so slightly.

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Hey guys do you think that the Google theory thing could boost Mike's chances if the ad showed up after typing his name or his series name with those very specific instructions?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey guys do you think that the Google theory thing could boost Mike's chances if the ad showed up after typing his name or his series name with those very specific instructions?
No, because the Google theory is absolutely moronic.

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
You can certainly give it a shot. I'm 50-50 on the theory and won't be surprised if it is true or false.

I WOULD be surprised if Mike shows up positive.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
When talking about a Startropics reboot, I cant help but bring this up:
Lots of people already know about the mysterious robotic character hidden behind Metal Mario, but nobody knows who it actually is.

If I were to hazard a hopeful guess, I'd say it's a rebooted version of NAV-COM. Unlikely, sure, but definitely a possibility. Startropics has quite a few robots in the game, so should we ever get a reboot, it wouldnt be unlikely to see a major robotic character contribute to the story.

Edit: I just made the realization that our robotic friend has only 4 fingers. Fictional characters having 4 fingers is a trait for western animation and character design, which may boost his chances ever so slightly.
You remember those "joke" rumors about Retro Studios working on StarTropics? Maybe it wasn't a joke after all...
Or not. Maybe E3 we'll finally see what Retro's been up to all this time before they started working on Metroid Prime 4.

By the way, I saw this GameFAQs post the other day and I thought you guys might want to see it:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77304394

Frestypants here says something interesting about the Beastball and Banana Gun items.

Last edited:

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
You remember those "joke" rumors about Retro Studios working on StarTropics? Maybe it wasn't a joke after all...
Or not. Maybe E3 we'll finally see what Retro's been up to all this time before they started working on Metroid Prime 4.

By the way, I saw this GameFAQs post the other day and I thought you guys might want to see it:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77304394

Frestypants here says something interesting about the Beastball and Banana Gun items.
Lol, that's me. I'm Frestypants XD.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Lol, that's me. I'm Frestypants XD.
Oh, ok then... hehe.

Now I just beaten both games and my want for Mike or anything ST in Smash has increased tremendously.
I'm really curious as the where the Retro rumors come from. People say it was a joke, but where this was first mentioned? I never seen a detailed explanation.

Quidohmi

Smash Apprentice
Hey, everyone.
I just made an account here recently which is why I haven't posted here but I also would love to see Mike Jones in Smash. I'd prefer Zoda if I had to pick but there's no way he'd get in before Mike. Getting both, though? Now that would be amazing. And I love Zoda's preliminary design. It has that real 80s almost He-Man villain feel to him.
I drew him a while ago. Might re-do it sometime: Zoda

But on StarTropics itself I think it should be rebooted. Someone in the thread asked earlier if it should be old-school style or rebooted in a modern way and I lean towards the latter.

I'm thinking sort of Ratchet & Clank-ish. Platforming, shooting (not with actual guns - besides lasers, of course), and lots of humor.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I would start with some images. Do some searching find were people have posted Mike for Smash images and use them.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I would start with some images. Do some searching find were people have posted Mike for Smash images and use them.
We give credit if possible, of course.
We also post high quality memes.
And post any StarTropics related news if available.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me out finding images to tweet.

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
How is simon a retro rep? he appeared in a 3D's castlevanis game a few years ago. made by the makers of Samus returns, so Nintendo must have noticed it.
He's been in the business since the NES days, he's just as part of Nintendo history as Mario had.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Ok, lets put a comparison image here to compare NAV-COM to the mysterious character:
navcomretrostudios.png

This artwork is from Nintendo Power Issue #21, if anyone's asking.

Quidohmi

Smash Apprentice
Ok, lets put a comparison image here to compare NAV-COM to the mysterious character:
View attachment 223142
This artwork is from Nintendo Power Issue #21, if anyone's asking.
Would be cool but I'm highly doubting it. I can't imagine Nav-Com being there since it's not a main character. I could maaaybe see it's role being upgraded in a reboot but doubt it would be there without Mike.

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
Would be cool but I'm highly doubting it. I can't imagine Nav-Com being there since it's not a main character. I could maaaybe see it's role being upgraded in a reboot but doubt it would be there without Mike.
Inb4 Mike has a robot hand if he gets a reboot

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Here's a theory I have. Retro knew Reggie would share the picture in social media in some sort, and drawing Mike would give it away easily. So Retro drew a redesigned Nav-Com to mantain secrecy with their project.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Here's a theory I have. Retro knew Reggie would share the picture in social media in some sort, and drawing Mike would give it away easily. So Retro drew a redesigned Nav-Com to mantain secrecy with their project.
But, if they were to have drawn Mike, and all we could see was a human hand, that would be even less of a tell.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
But, if they were to have drawn Mike, and all we could see was a human hand, that would be even less of a tell.
The thing about that is that Mike isn't really that short, you would see his spiky hair. The picture doesn't even show the character's torso (maybe it's floating.), it shows Samus's leg (the orange piece under Mario's leg. The dark brown piece is Diddy's tail.) If Mike was drawn there, his iconic shirt/sweet jacket would be seen. I don't know, the statue could be placed in a different spot. I just want to think this is a real scenario that can occur.

I had to post this masterpiece here:

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Yes, I believe so. Thanks for your help. I'll tweet them slowly as I go.

Here's a video I made speculating the remaining 4 characters for the Fighters Pass. I put Mike as my final pick and talk about him for a little while.
Please excuse the sandbag-like voice. I'm not very good at talking too much, which explains why the video has all those many dislikes.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Attachments

Last edited:

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
so far good fanrt. Although we're down two spots on the DLC train after that E3 presentation. I'm not complaining about who we got but I still want Mike in there somewhere

smash puffle

Smash Ace
If K. Rool didn't destroy the whole relevancy argument, then Banjo completely shattered it.
The Twitter campaign now has 30 followers! It's a slow but steady growth of the campaign, but we must go on and grow even more as a community.

Hey guys, I'm here with an update. I'm going to work on a video discussing Mike in a lot more detail (and only him), and how I could fit him into almost all of the current theories going on in the DLC speculation scene, sort of a response to @papagenos (and maybe even @Billybae10K )'s videos about said theories. Some of you may not believe the theories, but the more exposure for Mike and StarTropics, the better... I just need to step it up with making my voice more bearable and actually getting a script... hopefully it will go well!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey guys, I'm here with an update. I'm going to work on a video discussing Mike in a lot more detail (and only him), and how I could fit him into almost all of the current theories going on in the DLC speculation scene, sort of a response to @papagenos (and maybe even @Billybae10K )'s videos about said theories. Some of you may not believe the theories, but the more exposure for Mike and StarTropics, the better... I just need to step it up with making my voice more bearable and actually getting a script... hopefully it will go well!
Good luck with that!

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Ok, change of plans (surprise, surprise). Making a video that only very few people are going to watch is off the table at this point. I'll go with the document/slideshow of pictures/powerpoint presentation route just like I did with Sandbag. I will need to compile as much information and evidence as I can to explain Mike's possible inclusion. Some help would be really appreciated. We can discuss this in the ST discord. We'll share the document with the community when its ready.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So is it just me or would cadence of hyrule work really well as a star tropics game?

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Hey guys, please give some ideas for some spicy memes. Things are starting to get real.
Mike and ROB chilling on the sub-c in the first game. Chuck a dolphin in the window.

Zoda in his humanoid armor guy form renting an alien vhs.

A claim that Octo the Huge went on to predict world cup tournaments for bookies.

Magma the Fierce joins Beyonce’s entourage

Maxie (the ghost boss) tries to get into Luigi’s Mansion 3

A can of Americola. Or Colacola.

A sprite mock up of what star tropics x crypt of the necrodancer could look like.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Bonus points for the first one who guesses which leak this tweet is referencing
The european starling one the geno forum was talking about?

So which NES mod would you guys be most interested in:

A Zelda 1 mod where you play as Mike Jones, obviously looking a lot more like his overworld sprite but still attacking with his attacks (and bombs and the candle. Because you really can’t do much in that game without those)

A star tropics 1 mod where you play as ROB/Nav Com, who’s attacks are designed to be very similar to rob in smash brothers (lasers and tops).

A star tropics 1 mod where mike can move diagonally like in star tropics 2.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The european starling one the geno forum was talking about?

So which NES mod would you guys be most interested in:

A Zelda 1 mod where you play as Mike Jones, obviously looking a lot more like his overworld sprite but still attacking with his attacks (and bombs and the candle. Because you really can’t do much in that game without those)

A star tropics 1 mod where you play as ROB/Nav Com, who’s attacks are designed to be very similar to rob in smash brothers (lasers and tops).

A star tropics 1 mod where mike can move diagonally like in star tropics 2.
I think the first one would be the neatest.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
This robot from star fox zero was a taller nav-com all along I can't unsee it now
IMG_20190722_025211.jpg

The worst part is that in star fox guard it literally becomes nav-com when hit
IMG_20190722_025815.png IMG_20190722_030139.png
This is what happens when I'm still awake at 3AM, this is why you need a good sleep schedule folks.

EDIT: I have mastered memes.

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
Back then they didn't want him
Now he's hot they all on him

I think StarTropics could be a good TV series on CBS All Access

smash puffle

Smash Ace
No StarTropics news in the 4.0 update it seems. Still hopeful something will show up eventually.
Anyways here's another poll. Go show your support:

Top Bottom