• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Under the Southern Cross, Anything is Possible!" | Mike Jones Support Thread

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Man it's dead in here, fitting.

Made a Mike icon for the signature thingy thread, thought I'd post it here as well.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Count me as a supporter. I wrote this up in the unlikely-newcomer-that-you're-calling thread.

So we're specifically picking a character who is seen as unlikely?

If this is the case, I pick Mike Jones from Startropics.

Sakurai's been putting retro throwback into the games since Melee when he put in Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, and then later R.O.B., Pit, Duck Hunt...

If he holds to this pattern, it seems likely that Smash 5 will get a new retro character. Most folks seem to think he'll go with Takamaru, and while that one is slightly more likely, I honestly think that Mike is a better choice.

For one, his game was released outside of Japan which is a big get over Takamaru. He's also got a lot more unique stuff to offer. Sure, Ness uses a yo-yo, but I think there's a lot of yo-yo potential that Ness hasn't gone after. In addition, I think that Nintendo isn't wanting to be done with the classic Zelda formula, but at the same time they say that all future Zelda games are going to be in the BotW style.

Back in the day of Startropics' release, it was criticized as being too close to Zelda and not standing sufficiently apart from it. Now would be the time for Nintendo to bring it back if they wanted to keep those kinds of games on the platform but focusing their Zelda team on bigger-world adventures. As Pit shows us, nothing does more for the resurrection of a character and series than Smash Bros representation. Plus, since when has Sakurai made a habit of always being predictable? Note how he got the Inkling reveal out of the way quickly... because we knew they were coming. Hell, he unveiled them before he even unveiled the game itself (kinda). I think this is the kind of curveball that Sakurai would throw, and I think it could be glorious.

Plus I love the idea of just some guy with a regular name being in Smash Bros. "Ganondorf! King Dedede! Palutena! Mike Jones!"

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This might help to get Mike more exposure! (Mike's at #3)

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I've heard about this game due to NitroRad, i'm supporting this so that he'll be pleased

D

Deleted member

Im looking for someone who can take ownership of this thread so i can focus on another thread.

Anyone interesed?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think I could do it. At the very least, I’ve got time. This would be the first thread I ever manage, though, so if anyone else offers by all means go with them.

D

Deleted member

I think I could do it. At the very least, I’ve got time. This would be the first thread I ever manage, though, so if anyone else offers by all means go with them.
Well i know of someone else who could be interesed.

shinhed-echi shinhed-echi used to own the Mike Jones for Smash 4 thread, so maybe he will be interesed.

Last edited by a moderator:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
He's kind of a long shot character given his games utter lack of existence in Japan but he would be a curious choice.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Its Mikes day in the RTC thread, show your support.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
After Takamaru's deconfirmation in the new Smash, there's only one Retro character I can think of that Sakurai would add, and that would be this guy. Add me to the supporters.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I love how brutally hard this series is. People often compare Startropics to Zelda but the way ST puts so much emphasis on quick-time reactions and more action based gameplay than puzzle solving makes it feel like it's own thing rather than "American Zelda" as some like to call it.

I finished Startropics 1 and i'm in the last dungeon in the sequel. I keep getting my ass kicked in the Boss Rush sequence lol.
After Takamaru's deconfirmation in the new Smash, there's only one Retro character I can think of that Sakurai would add, and that would be this guy. Add me to the supporters.
IDK if there's even going to be a retro but if there was I think it might be Andy (bias aside lol) because of this game coinciding with the 30th anniversary of Famicom Wars.

Although of course i'd still love Mikey to be in this game.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
StarTropics and it's sequel were fantastic NES games and it's a shame it didn't become it's own series. Mike is definitely one of my favorite NES era charcters so I made these for you guys like I've been doing with the other newcomers groups

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I'm all for Mike Jones. I loved the first game (the second one was alright). There was an old thread by Parrothead who made this for Brawl. It had a lot of good movesets and content.

You have my Support!

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So what would you all rather see....

Mike Jones in Smash or a 16 bit Star Tropics 3 on the eshop?

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I'm going to say Mike Jones in Smash first. He's still pretty obscure character but once people play him and hopefully like him they will want a Star Tropics 3 game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Someone requested me to make Mike.
Wow, I don't know if I commented on this pic before but...
1) Sweeeeet art! This is adorable! I want this on a tshirt someday!
2) How did this person know that the art style for the stocks icons were going to be in a style so similar to this?? Like wow!

:ultlittlemac: looks so similar, and Mike's image was done weeks before the official unveiling of Ultimate!

I can't quite choose, though... Characters become famous because of Smash (see Fire Emblem, Pit, C.Falcon, etc) but I feel like StarTropics is missing ONE game to have a real conclusion...

I'd go for StarTropics 3 over Mike in Smash, only if it's really well marketed, is released in physical format, and released in Japan as well.
Otherwise, Smash is pretty much a good marketing push for ST.

Man this is hard... On the other hand, Smash is already so full of characters that Mike would make much less of an impact by now...

I'll go for StarTropics 3 then... But big budgeted. No "neo-retro" nonsense. No pixel-art. StarTropics needs to have 3D renders, or super high detailed vector art style.
I don't want to be nitpicky, but if it goes pixel art style, and/or it's an eshop title only, I feel it's not being taken seriously enough.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Wow, I don't know if I commented on this pic before but...
1) Sweeeeet art! This is adorable! I want this on a tshirt someday!
2) How did this person know that the art style for the stocks icons were going to be in a style so similar to this?? Like wow!

:ultlittlemac: looks so similar, and Mike's image was done weeks before the official unveiling of Ultimate!
Magic.
Screw it, I'll also claim I predicted Ridley because I drew him alongside 95 others in a similar style.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I like how he gets Katana's from Leonardo in the second game, lol

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I'm going to say Mike Jones in Smash first. He's still pretty obscure character but once people play him and hopefully like him they will want a Star Tropics 3 game.
The best bet I see for Mike Jones is the random retro spot taker, seeing that Takamaru is out and Lip (Panel De Pon) has been regarded to only her item being in the game as of yet.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I don't know how I haven't posted in this thread yet. Startropics 1 and 2 are great, and Mike is awesome so please sign me up as a supporter.

Stompman

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ah, Mike, my ballot vote. Count me in as a supporter. I have an alternative moveset idea for him:

B: Wonder Horsehide (deals small damage but is quick
B Side: Bola Toss (deals minimal damage but stuns or trips the foe)
B Down: Wonder Mirror
B Up: Anklet Teleport

For his smash attacks, I envision a reverse Lucario, very strong at low percents, but weakens at higher ones (so it downgrades from Shooting Star to Morning Star to Yo-Yo). His up aerial could be the psychic shockwave, and one of his kill moves.

For a final smash, the levwl 2 dolphins swim in and deal huge damage to the foe.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Keeping that star tropics conversation going...

How would you feel if...

A 2d Zelda was released with Mike Jones as a secret playable character after beating the game?

A 2d Zelda was released with a secret bonus dungeon in homage to Star Tropics where Zoda was the boss?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Keeping that star tropics conversation going...

How would you feel if...

A 2d Zelda was released with Mike Jones as a secret playable character after beating the game?

A 2d Zelda was released with a secret bonus dungeon in homage to Star Tropics where Zoda was the boss?
‘I would feel very happy’
-Understatement of the year

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Mike as a playable character: I'd be over the moon! Although hopefully, his graphic style matches that of the Zelda game. But still, I'd love it either way!

That would be pretty cool actually. I'd love it, although I don't think it'd be easy to complete unless Link had a jumping ability. Still, if one of the ST dungeons is in the game, OMG would that be amazing.

But I rather have Mike playable unlockable character because I could play a whole new adventure as him, rather than just one ST dungeon as Link.

Both would make me extremely happy due to Nintendo aknowledging the series, though.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I honestly think that Mike Jones would be the perfect fit for the 8 bit rep for Smash 5. He already has so much to work with than other characters in the series and if you were to look at the other "8-bit candidates", you really see that nobody else could really scream "Perfect for Smash" other than my other (sadly assist trophy'ed) pick for 8 bit rep, Takamaru.

I've also had a lot of friends want more goofy and unexpected characters to be in smash and I honestly think that Mike Jones fits the bill for that as well. Heck, maybe he'll get his own game a few years later like Pit did if he got in.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Hipster Mike Jones commission.png

Shared this on the Smash Underdogs Discord, but here is the design for Mike Jones in my fanon series New Tendo City, where he is a character. My artist I hire for these did a BRILLIANT job! ~ Afro

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Without blinking, yes. Add me.

For his palette choices, I'd have four of him in the tee and four wearing Startropics 2's jacket.

I remember back in the NES days, it was one of my favorite rentals. I would get as far as Chapter 5, but never could figure out the organ segment. When it came on Wii, I downloaded it and got to the final dungeon of Chapter 6, but those two headed dolls would keep winning. When it became available for Wii U, I got it again. The game is very difficult. I'm not afraid to admit it, but I was able to finally beat the game through the power of save states.

I ought to give the sequel a try and would really like a new Startropics game to come out.

I know of Startropics not being released in Japan, but I'm confused why. It seems like a series that would have universal appeal.

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
In Smash 4 I made Mike Jones as a Mii. I was going with either brawler with the biker suit (which looks better) or swordsman with normal suit. I choose the swordsman because I felt like it fitted the play style I was looking for. I made Mike a medium ranged fighter who specialized in throwing weapons. Even throwing items did more damage then other character.

HNI_0002.JPG

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
You know lately I've been thinking Mike Jones might actually have a shot, well it depends on something.
every game since melee Sakurai has added a retro pick. but with so few characters probably being added are we still gonna get one of those retro picks to satisfy tradition?

but if we do. Who else could there possibly be besides Mike Jones?! Balloon Fight maybe? but Villager is still stealing his balloons so don't think so...

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
You know lately I've been thinking Mike Jones might actually have a shot, well it depends on something.
every game since melee Sakurai has added a retro pick. but with so few characters probably being added are we still gonna get one of those retro picks to satisfy tradition?

but if we do. Who else could there possibly be besides Mike Jones?! Balloon Fight maybe? but Villager is still stealing his balloons so don't think so...
As far as retro characters go, I feel like there aren't many left to choose from anymore, but Excitebiker and Simon Belmont seem the most likely in my opinion. Granted, Simon isn't exclusively a retro character, so he might not actually count. However I'm in full support of Mike Jones being playable, but I fear being virtually unknown in Japan severely hurts his chances... But I'm still holding out hope that he makes an appearance!

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
As far as retro characters go, I feel like there aren't many left to choose from anymore, but Excitebiker and Simon Belmont seem the most likely in my opinion. Granted, Simon isn't exclusively a retro character, so he might not actually count. However I'm in full support of Mike Jones being playable, but I fear being virtually unknown in Japan severely hurts his chances... But I'm still holding out hope that he makes an appearance!
oh right didn't realize he wasn't really known in Japan. So might end up being America's Takamaru.

although excitebiker I remember Sakurai talking about how he'd have to give him ramps just so he can jump. and in general seemed he thought there was no way to make make him work as a fighter. so I don't see that ever happening.

Also while Simon Belmont is actually Retro (it's just has games after his original retro appearance) I wouldn't see him being placed in the retro characters spot.

granted there is nothing saying there HAS to be a retro character every game. he's just found some fun ones each time after melee.
but if he does want to keep the tradition alive I still think Mike Jones is the only real choice at this point.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
oh right didn't realize he wasn't really known in Japan. So might end up being America's Takamaru.

although excitebiker I remember Sakurai talking about how he'd have to give him ramps just so he can jump. and in general seemed he thought there was no way to make make him work as a fighter. so I don't see that ever happening.

Also while Simon Belmont is actually Retro (it's just has games after his original retro appearance) I wouldn't see him being placed in the retro characters spot.

granted there is nothing saying there HAS to be a retro character every game. he's just found some fun ones each time after melee.
but if he does want to keep the tradition alive I still think Mike Jones is the only real choice at this point.
That's true, there is no official guarantee that there will be a retro rep, but I still hope they put one in regardless of who it is. I like being surprised by the somewhat obscure characters from the "old days" more than I like seeing modern characters. After all, Smash is about celebrating Nintendo's history, so it's always nice when they bring some of their long-forgotten characters back into the spotlight.

I also only just remembered that StarTropics was included on the NES Classic Edition, so maybe Mike Jones has a decent enough chance after all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom