• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate's Final Destination ?

What is your favorite Final Destination ?

• Super Smash Bros. 64

• Super Smash Bros. Melee

• Super Smash Bros. Brawl

• Super Smash Bros. for Wii U / 3DS

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone, I was just looking at that Nintendo's video where the Ultimate's Final Destination stage displayed at the E3.2018 was actually a Ω-version of Battlefield (source). At the moment, the actual stage remains hidden. Why didn't they showed us the actual stage ? Maybe that's because it's unfinished, but that would be hard to believe when we see all the content they already put in the game.

According to some people, the new Final Destination stage appears in those screenshots taken from the official website of the new game (source, Black Hole Item). At first it might looks like a stage from Metroid but the background makes it impossible. In fact, the gloomy-blue and bloody-looking background feels similar to the previous Final Destination from Super Smash Bros. 4 with its duality-themed apocalyptic scenery. It also have futuristic features that makes it looks a little like Super Smash Bros. Melee's Final Destination.

Anyway, the real question remains "why does the stage remains unseen ?". I know that they did the same thing back in 2013 with the demo-version of Super Smash Bros. 4 for Wii U where you only had Battlefield, Mushroom Kingdom U, Skyloft, Coliseum, Town & City, Pilotwings, Dr. Wily's Castle and the Box Ring, but they didn't put a Omega-version to replace an existing stage. Also, the new stages were shown in a very-explicit way.

We know back in Super Smash Bros. Brawl that Sakurai likes to surprise the player so it might be just that but I still think that there's something that I'm missing. Maybe that the stage could hint of a big story-mode such as the Subspace Emissary II (or something similar). It could fit the description of the Nintendo's showcase at E3.2018 (source).

Your starting roster may be as small as their original Nintendo 64 game. We've streamlined the conditions for unlocking fighters and we want to make the process interesting so it feels like you're constantly recruiting popular characters to your side.
Or it might have to do something about Master-Hand & Crazy-Hand (and Master-Core?) boss battle. To this day the stage section on the official website is still unavailable for some reasons so we'll have to wait until further announcements to know more about that new Final Destination. What are your thoughts on this ? What are you expecting on the new version ?

Luigi player

Smash Master
Here is another screenshot of FD (iirc it was the first one to surface):

And here is its background (seems like it will change color and get darker etc again):

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I did really like Melee's version of FD. The futuristic and incredibly simple design fit really well together.

I'm sure it will still be awesome though. I do hope we get another boss fight like Master Giant though. The boss fights that use the stage (Meta Ridley in Brawl, or Master Giant/Master Beast) are really cool takes on the final battles.

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
Depending on how it plays out, the Ultimate version of FD might just be my favorite. It was a really hard pick between Melee and Brawl's FD's for me, but I think Melee's just had more nostalgia for me. I didn't like 4's version though, it looks like they were torn between two different versions and just decided to smash them together (plus the blinding background transitions).

for the sake of the discussion though, if you look at the omega Battlefield and the black hole pic, you can see that there is a similar structure (though reversed) in both (on the right side behind the ice and behind fox). Trinen did say that the two were similar in appearance during E3, so i wouldn't be surprised if that were the case (also the center strip is identical, i would guess that fox is in or near the center in the top picture and slightly more towards the left in the second).

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
smash 4 definitely had my favorite final destination.

it reminded me a lot of soul calibur, for one... and i love that duality-type stuff, always looks pretty cool.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
If this is what the final destination is like, then I'm kind of excited to see the rest of it and hear the music. Do you know what would be nice though. I qould like to see Final Destination able to be reskinned into the forms from Melee, Brawl, or 4. This way, we can pick out the theme from our favorite past game if we so choose. Yes, Battlefield too.

As for the poll, I would go with Brawl, 3DS, Melee, and WiiU. The different versions from 4 are separated because of backgrounds of each game making a huge difference in my opinion.

I chose Brawl for a simple design. It felt like a nice space theme type stage for a good chuck with a lot of light at the end of the tunnel type moments I personally enjoyed. The entire thing looked nice, nothing too out of the ordinary or distracting, and the platform was cool to look at. 3DS feels similar to Brawl in that it has a space theme and water parts. The beginning feels a bit more intense as the moving segment twist and turn and it feels like you're inside the helix at the beginning. The apocalyptic half was a nice touch as well. It almost ties Brawl in my opinion, but the difference was the music.

Melee felt like a futuristic design way before its time. The space opening and earth segments were nice, but when everything began to have futuristic like lines around it, I didn't like it. I think Melee could look cooler if it is run with better graphics though. Also, this is the only one where the platform is an octagon besides the original 64 version. I think these stages were better when they were long platforms like future versions.

WiiU was nice at some parts, but the backgrounds at other parts were so full of celestial bodies and movement that they become a visual distraction. The black background was nice, but that pulsating star was the focus for a lot of it. The huge asteroids and planet crashing into the sun after that felt like a distraction to play with in the background. The transitions in and out of background aspects also happened at weird angles. Fighting in the clouds for once was a nice touch, but I would rather go with Ω Battlefield on the WiiU version.

Last edited:

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
If this is what the final destination is like, then I'm kind of excited to see the rest of it and hear the music. Do you know what would be nice though. I qould like to see Final Destination able to be reskinned into the forms from Melee, Brawl, or 4. This way, we can pick out the theme from our favorite past game if we so choose. Yes, Battlefield too.
Yeah that would be cool, and even more for Battlefield. I really liked the feeling of Super Smash Bros. Melee & Super Smash Bros. 64's Battlefield. You were transported into an psychedelic-void space and it felt like the only existing thing is the fighters beating each others. Since Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Battlefield looks bland to me, it looks like it could've been taken from any other game.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Must I choose? They all have qualities I like.

SSB64: Nothing like the original
Melee: Background and stage form
Brawl: The music which is a remix of the Brawl theme
3DS/Wii U: The duality.

For the sake of the poll, I choose Melee, then followed by SSB64, Brawl, Wii U, and finally 3DS.

Top Bottom