• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

#UltimateDLCSoMale: The Female DLC Character Discussion

Should we have at least one female newcomer in the DLC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not that I've heard anything in particular but Cadence has began to interest me. Crypt of the Necrodancer has unbelievably good music and the fact that it got a bonafide Zelda game is pretty damn impressive for an indie. I think she's a potential character a lot of people sleep on.

D

Deleted member

Not that I've heard anything in particular but Cadence has began to interest me. Crypt of the Necrodancer has unbelievably good music and the fact that it got a bonafide Zelda game is pretty damn impressive for an indie. I think she's a potential character a lot of people sleep on.
Agree. Kinda strange at first but then I looked it up and it's looking good.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Interesting, but I'd doubt she'd be the first indie game rep to secure a spot. It would need to be somebody who has more of a spotlight/following.

I really wanted Shovel Knight...

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
Welp, R.I.P. Officer Howard. I guess they would have been male by default anyway, but there was a glimmer of hope for the female version being prioritized given how much of Astral Chain's ads focused on Female Officer Howard.

D

Deleted member

Welp, R.I.P. Officer Howard. I guess they would have been male by default anyway, but there was a glimmer of hope for the female version being prioritized given how much of Astral Chain's ads focused on Female Officer Howard.
Major oof. Heard nothing but good **** about the game and damn...

Don't wanna wait for February goddammit

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
For what it’s worth, Female Officer Howard is listed first in the spirit database.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
can i ask, which females do count or dont count? its just ive told off for counting kazooie and pikachu in the past for odd reasons

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

can i ask, which females do count or dont count? its just ive told off for counting kazooie and pikachu in the past for odd reasons
Nothing wrong with counting Kazooie my friend. Kazooie is a prominent female character, she just so happens to share a slot with another character as a duo. To answer your question though apparently some people feel that they have to be human/humanioid which I think is rather unreasonable imo.

What if we got Amatesaru from Okami for example? She's a female but I think a lot of people would swiftly dismiss her because she's not human and I don't think that's very fair. Gender only matters to some people when the character in question is human, I guess.

D

Deleted member

What we're looking for is a 100% pure female rep. Kazooie does not count since she is part of a duo, which isn't the criteria we want.

----------

Anyway, I'm busy preparing for the worst by preparing a meme album.

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
Kazooie is only really the secondary part of the duo & not the one you primarily control, but that’s been debated plenty. What we’re talking about are characters who are either exclusively female (Ex: Samus, Peach, Bayonetta, etc.) or gender-choice characters who are female by default (Ex: Inkling & Wii Fit Trainer but not Robin & Corrin). To use examples of debated characters, Byleth wouldn’t count towards this since they’d most likely be male by default. But since Monster Hunter was primarily female in MvCI, there’s a decent chance that Capcom may ask Sakurai to follow suit if MH ever gets in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Kazooie is only really the secondary part of the duo & not the one you primarily control,
No she's not. You are wrong. Again, just because she doesn't act as the main exoskeleton you control of the two, it doesn't mean you should be undermining her like that. She offers more to their moveset alone than Banjo does. If that's how you see it, fine but your distorted observation and perception of them are not vindictive of how they actually work and it doesn't make it true ether.

Kazooie is just as important and prominent to the duo as Banjo is. There's no primary or secondary with them.

D

Deleted member

Ah shoot, here we go again...

Brb finishing my meme collection. Probabky posting tomorrow.

Melonsismyusername

Smash Apprentice
That's the nature of this unpleasable fanbase. One minute he gives them the characters they want, but then has to attend to a character other people really want, then this surprise character comes up and becomes just as requested. It's hell for Sakurai.

I wish he just adapted Harada's mentality of "Don't ask me for ****"
Its almost like asking for female dlc, Because they are female.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nothing wrong with counting Kazooie my friend. Kazooie is a prominent female character, she just so happens to share a slot with another character as a duo. To answer your question though apparently some people feel that they have to be human/humanioid which I think is rather unreasonable imo.

What if we got Amatesaru from Okami for example? She's a female but I think a lot of people would swiftly dismiss her because she's not human and I don't think that's very fair. Gender only matters to some people when the character in question is human, I guess.
That’s how I’ve always viewed kazooie an equal to banjo

dismissing females just cause they’re not human seems a little daft, ruling them out cause they’re alts I get, but ruling them out cause they’re not human seems like picking and choosing to me

D

Deleted member

Good morning everyone, and I just happened to finish my meme album. Pick your poison:

THE FEMALE DLC DISCUSSION MEME ALBUM
3m2oi3.jpg

3m2t6d.jpg

3m2u6r.jpg
3m2wl6.jpg

3m2qt1.jpg

3m2q18.jpg

3m2s92.jpg

3m2r9b.jpg

3m2pe8.jpg

3m2q8j.jpg

3m2urq.jpg

3m2tdm.jpg

More coming up!

D

Deleted member

Some of these are in really poor taste and inaccurately represents Sakurai and Nintendo's intentions. I feel sorry for you. =/

D

Deleted member

Some of these are in really poor taste and inaccurately represents Sakurai and Nintendo's intentions. I feel sorry for you. =/
What exactly are Sakurai and Nintendo's intentions then.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
What exactly are Sakurai and Nintendo's intentions then.
To give characters that everyone enjoys, who are at teal somewhat iconic/popular/famous and are fun to play.
Some of the memes give off the message that the developer intentionally leave out female DLC picks, when that's obviously not the case.

D

Deleted member

To give characters that everyone enjoys, who are at teal somewhat iconic/popular/famous and are fun to play.
Some of the memes give off the message that the developer intentionally leave out female DLC picks, when that's obviously not the case.
By everyone, they mean including women who want women in the game...

Excuse my poisoned mind at the time.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
By everyone, they mean including women who want women in the game...

Excuse my poisoned mind at the time.
They are obviously not excluding female characters because they're female characters or to spite the women who want women in the game, which is what some of the memes seem to portray. Any female characters that happen to be on Sakurai's radar and are not chosen for the game have a reason they're not in the game, and it's not because they're females.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I don't want to alarm anyone or anything but what if it's Arle from puyo puyo. Some of the pics Mr. Sakurai has put out has a bit of a nod to them. Not to mention the producer of the game Puyo Puyo has retweeted the announcement.

Semi-off topic: y'all remember that whole thing with the fighters pass fighters spelling out smash?

S:Square Enix
M: Microsoft
A:Atlas
S: SNK
H:???

What I think it's going to end up like what happend to Marvel with the whole infinity stones theory and just ending up with H being "her" but I digress. Sorry for the tangent

D

Deleted member

I don't want to alarm anyone or anything but what if it's Arle from puyo puyo. Some of the pics Mr. Sakurai has put out has a bit of a nod to them. Not to mention the producer of the game Puyo Puyo has retweeted the announcement.
Kinda like the one Rathalos picture that people thought implied Isaac. I wouldn't take those pics into serious consideration. It's his way of just messin' around
BetHesda
Todd Howard

Mystery solved.

Melonsismyusername

Smash Apprentice
All of these are Mega boomer memes, what are you 57 Karen, you got to resonate with that zoomer audience.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's better to think in advance than be sorry in the end. It's better to already be sorry than to just whine about something you could've seen coming. IT's better than being surprised and disappointed in the end,

Goddammit, I'm still going to be here discussing stuff about female fighters for the next months...shame on this game.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Kinda like the one Rathalos picture that people thought implied Isaac. I wouldn't take those pics into serious consideration. It's his way of just messin' around

BetHesda
Todd Howard

Mystery solved.
LOL ya that whole thing with the letters is just a meme at this point. There is apparently a lot of other game announcements being revealed tomorrow though. Hype cycles just drive up a lot of emotions and less so for logic.

D

Deleted member

LOL ya that whole thing with the letters is just a meme at this point. There is apparently a lot of other game announcements being revealed tomorrow though. Hype cycles just drive up a lot of emotions and less so for logic.
I think they just said a Smash announcement and nothing more.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
It's better to think in advance than be sorry in the end. It's better to already be sorry than to just whine about something you could've seen coming. IT's better than being surprised and disappointed in the end,

Goddammit, I'm still going to be here discussing stuff about female fighters for the next months...shame on this game.
If Sakurai really had something against female fighters then chars like Lucina, Zelda etc. wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

Also yes, it's better to calm down for now. It's rather annoying to blame someone (Sakurai/Nintendo) when there is no information what the last fighter could be. You can still complain afterwards.
Whether or not the complaints are justified if we don't get a female char: Maybe?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I feel for Sakurai. He's in a position that he can never make anybody truly happy, no matter how good a pick is, and there will always be people who see a buffet of generosity Smash Ultimate has given them and go "But I wanted strawberry ice cream, not vanilla!"
I hear that. I mean this is a franchise where the newest entry finally got the most requested character in the series' istory and the first thing people wanted when he came out was for him to be nerfed into the ground.

Spectacle/Roster Creep will be the franchise's undoing if they are not more careful with later entries.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
NGL these are all pretty bad as far as memes go. I hoped impact font memes and basic meme templates would have stayed in 2019 but well here we are. Lack of flavor overall, not to mention memes about personal opinions don't resonate well with any community.

Now as far as the content of the images, you're really discrediting all of the work Sakurai and the devs put into this game. The devs don't have to add any female newcomers if they don't want to, but that's not the case. They're adding characters that get the most requests, impartial to whether they're male or female. You're acting as if you're entitled to get a newcomer you want. I've wanted to see Bandana Dee in Smashs since I first played Kirby's Return to Dream Land, but I haven't made any "memes" this bad to try to get people to see my point, because I understand that it's impossible for the devs to make everyone happy.

You're acting as if the devs had some responsibility to add a female character, and that you're the victim of an injustice because they didn't. NEWS FLASH: That's not how it works. Nobody is accepting the invitations to your pity party. Stop trying to get people to feel sorry for you, because now you come off as a 12-year-old with nothing better to do than make crappy memes for a social agenda. We all understand you want more female newcomers, but you're not entitled to any. If tomorrow's newcomer is male, it's because they got more requests than any other female. Get. Over. It. This isn't a big issue and you're taking it way too seriously.

And for the last time, stop acting as if the devs HAVE to add a female character. They're focusing on pleasing the most fans. The people who care about gender ratios, such as yourself, are a minuscule minority. Sorry, but it's true. The characters added so far have been requested by much larger amounts of people. Additionally, gender is not a relevant issue when determining a newcomer. With these three points in mind, it would make no sense for them to prioritize female characters for the sake of gender ratios over fan requested character for the sake of satisfying the most people.

Anyone who acts as if the devs are required to add at least one female character (we have one already, please stop complaining about Kazooie) has been blinded by the idea that their opinions about social justice and representation should be applies to all forms of media and entertainment. Sakurai will direct Smash in the way he sees will please the most fans, and if that means having more males than females, so be it. There doesn't have to be a single female character ever added ever again, and nobody other than the people complaining about it already will have a problem with it, as long as it makes the most fans happy. Because at the end of the day, Sakurai is better than succumbing to the "progressive" agendas of people who demand things as trivial as gender representation.

They put endless effort into this game and all you can focus on is that they didn't have the gender ratio you wanted. That reeks of entitlement. Now you're trying to make it seem as if the devs did something ethically wrong or evil by not considering and acting on gender ratios. You're being unfair to them. The fact that you had to make a series of flavorless memes makes it seem to me as if you understand the flaw in your thinking and coming up with a desperate way to get people to agree with you. There are plenty of females in Smash already. If females are what you care about, consider appreciating what you already have than whining and complaining for more.

TL;DR: You're better off coming up with reasons as to why we should have a female newcomer than complaining about it and demonizing the devs.

I have spoken.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom