• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

#UltimateDLCSoMale: The Female DLC Character Discussion

Should we have at least one female newcomer in the DLC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I would be happy with Valkyrie as a Mii sword fighter at least. It’s kind of a pipe dream to see her as a playable fighter for me. But a Mii character would certainly suffice because it would be unexpected yet exciting to see.

D

Deleted member

Are you all going to be fine with all-male dominated DLC? Because someone is clearly not impressed.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
"All male dominated DLC"?

You make it sound like you are being oppressed by the evil overlord known as Sakurai.

Also, Kazooie is there.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Kazooie doesn't count. In the context of Smash, she's essentially a weapon - an extension of Banjo's attacks.

No one counts Samson in Skullgirls. No one counts Kazu, Mikey, and Kira's blob in Arcana Hearts. Etc. It's the same thing.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Kazooie doesn't count. In the context of Smash, she's essentially a weapon - an extension of Banjo's attacks.

No one counts Samson in Skullgirls. No one counts Kazu, Mikey, and Kira's blob in Arcana Hearts. Etc. It's the same thing.
I know nothing about the examples you listed, but Kazooie doesn't stop counting just because you suddenly decided that she does.

The character is called "Banjo & Kazooie", not just "Banjo". The game she originates from is partially named after her, she participates in a lot of dialogue, and she is the muscle behind most of the duo's moves which is true for Smash and the source material. She is not a weapon, she is the other half of a two person team. Watch a video of BK's moveset, then tell me how many moves are performed just by Banjo vs the moves that involves Kazooie.

Last edited:

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
So far, I have been fine with the DLC; Banjo & Kazooie have been for a while one of my most wanted characters (even if you control mostly Banjo, he and Kazooie are such an iconic duo together).

It’s just I’m curious of what they would possibly do with other potential female characters.

I don’t think the Smash developers would ever intentionally keep out female fighters from making DLC. It’s just that the most of the heavily requested characters right now are male, and that’s what the developers have been caught up with.

I am certain that after they are done appeasing the fans of the currently hyped characters; they will bring at least a few female fighters in the next DLC wave.

I feel like most of the iconic female video game characters are already in Smash, particularly from first party games; with only very few left. To me, Dixie is pretty much the last Nintendo all-star left and she’s an anthropomorphic female (in my opinion, at least one more anthropomorphic female like her would suffice).

Females from third party games is another story, but perhaps when they do reveal one for the next DLC wave it could suffice as a fulfillment for many fans.

We’ll have to wait and see, but I encourage everyone to stay positive.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm definitely looking forward to the future, and there's definitely quite a bit that they can do. Officer Howard from Astral Chain would be awesome. We have women from great yet lesser known 1st party games that could've lived on in Smash, similar to Ness and Captain Falcon. There's highly requested 1st party choices like Dixie, Impa, and Elma. There's a choice that was once considered but turned down due to being foreign (although Marth and Roy weren't) from a franchise that's getting a modern reboot. Style Savvy was overlooked, despite selling well globally, being a relatively recent IP, originating from an era that lacks playable reps (DS), appealing to a demographic that Smash typically doesn't cater to, etc.; it's my most wanted choice in general because I love the games and the character would look and play like no other. I've already mentioned how awesome Anna would be in this thread, but there's also Byleth. Ribbon Girl (or MinMin) is a likely ARMS rep. I could honestly go on forever, and I haven't even touched 3rd parties yet.

I know nothing about the examples you listed, but Kazooie doesn't stop counting just because you suddenly decided that she does.

The character is called "Banjo & Kazooie", not just "Banjo". The game she originates from is partially named after her, she participates in a lot of dialogue, and she is the muscle behind most of the duo's moves which is true for Smash and the source material. She is not a weapon, she is the other half of a two person team. Watch a video of BK's moveset, then tell me how many moves are performed just by Banjo vs the moves that involves Kazooie.
Filia is a character from Skullgirls who is attached to a Parasite named Samson. He does most of the attacking. He's his own character with his own complex backstory and everything, but the game was still classified as an all girl fighter pre-DLC because he isn't the character that players control. Mikey, Kazu, Kira's Blob (and various male Arcana you can pair them with) are similar to Samson in their respective series, except they perform almost every attack. Yet again, no one says that Arcana Hearts is filled with a bunch of male characters.

I know everything about Banjo/Kazooie. However, in the context of Smash, she is undoubtedly the equivalent of the aforementioned characters. No one adds Arsene or Luma to the roster's headcount, despite their significance and prominence in Rosalina and Joker's arsenal. Banjo is the character that players are controlling, and Banjo is the character that's mostly flinging Kazooie around and pulling the trigger. No one refers to the duo as Kazooie, but the opposite is quite common. No one says Banjo is Kazooie's side tilt, or he's her jump, or he's her Smash attack, or he's her neutral special, etc. If you need an example of another titular pair, if 'Jak and Daxter' was added to Smash, no one would say we got two more men added to the roster.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I know everything about Banjo/Kazooie. However, in the context of Smash, she is undoubtedly the equivalent of the aforementioned characters. No one adds Arsene or Luma to the roster's headcount, despite their significance and prominence in Rosalina and Joker's arsenal. Banjo is the character that players are controlling, and Banjo is the character that's mostly flinging Kazooie around and pulling the trigger. No one refers to the duo as Kazooie, but the opposite is quite common. No one says Banjo is Kazooie's side tilt, or he's her jump, or he's her Smash attack, or he's her neutral special, etc. If you need an example of another titular pair, if 'Jak and Daxter' was added to Smash, no one would say we got two more men added to the roster.
That is such a misguided take on Kazooie; she doesn't have to add an individual headcount on the roster to matter. She is as much part of what constitutes the whole character as Banjo is. Except for Ftilt, FSmash and Bregull Blaster, Kazooie's actions are autonomous without needing Banjo to fling or trigger her, making it more comparable to a dance choreography where two people coordinate their own actions in unison rather than having one commanding the other. You got one thing right though: Nobody refers to those moves as Kazooie's, and that's because they are often referred collectively. It's true that a lot of people say Banjo for simplicity's sake, but in most moveset discussions people say 'their Smash attack', 'their recovery', 'their neutral special', etc. Most of the time it's not 'his' or 'her', but 'their' or 'them'.

It doesn't matter how people from other fandoms decide to call their characters, that doesn't stop most Smash or BK fans to acknowledge B&K as the duo that they are. Those two actually had mechanics tailored around their individual selves in Banjo Tooie, which I doubt applies to most of the fighters you mentioned. And yes, I know you said "in the context of Smash", but features like that can influence public perception of a character outside of their source. The advantage that they also have over those fighters is that B&K have a few games under their belt which emphasized their individual personalities and the pair's ability to work together.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
They should have paired up Chrom and Lucina and give them B&K's Fsmash.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Are you all going to be fine with all-male dominated DLC? Because someone is clearly not impressed.
Yes. Because the developers are not, and will hopefully never be, diversity driven in their decision making. A social agenda has no place in Smash. When they decide to add a character to the game, they do so regardless of gender and based on the character's actual qualifications. If this means the only female character we get is Kazooie, I'm fine with that. If all of the next DLC fighters are female, I would also be fine with that.

Also, "all-male dominated" is without question one of the most argumentative and leading ways to phrase the current situation involving DLC fighters. "Dominated" implies that there was a contest or competition between who gets to be in the game, and that male characters "won" over female characters. Considering your lack of further context, the post seems to imply that the reason these male characters are in the game is due only to gender.

This was one of the notions I tried to attack in my long post that is now buried several pages within this thread. The developers have never--not once--given regard to gender as a reason why a specific character should or should not be in the game.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
i think there should be be at least 2 new female newcomers as DLC..i really don't think that's asking much, especially since we are getting a 2nd pass so if the last DLC of this pass is male then that's cool
but in the 2nd pass i do think it's fair to see 2 female newcomers then at least.

there are alot of fighting games that introduces not just male but also female characters as DLC/new characters these days, so i don't think it's weird that there are people that wanna see at least a few females, i honestly would find it weird if all the 10 DLC characters are male (assuming the 2nd pass will have 5 characters too)

they did things right in previous games when it came to both genders but i will use the females as example to not make it a huge list lol
when melee arrived Peach & Zelda/Sheik got added in
in Brawl it was ZSS (though not as a own character but still it kinda counts?)
and sm4sh did it right too, they added Bayonetta, Palutena, Wii fit Trainer, Lucina and if you count alts then Robin & Corrin too (if i forgot someone let me know!)
and Ultimate with adding characters like Daisy, Isabelle & Inkling so far,

and of course most of the male characters they added so far i like alot of them as well! so it's not like i have anything against them,
the only character i really despise is the Plant but i got my personal reasons for that

Last edited:

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
If the leaks are true, this is a pretty good 5th character to end on.

Doom Guy/Slayer is almost so far out that I'd love his kit and what he might be able to do regardless.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I'm fine with it, to be honest I don't think it matters when it comes to gender what really matters is who they are, what they can offer in terms of move set and how much fun they are to play as.

More females would be nice but I don't want someone specifically just for their gender.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If the leaks are true, this is a pretty good 5th character to end on.

Doom Guy/Slayer is almost so far out that I'd love his kit and what he might be able to do regardless.
I don't think that it is due to the fact that it could be a hack and that Mii Fighter Costumes don't have to come with a fighter from their series, as shown by Sans and others.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well Mai was considered too lewd for even a cameo in Smash.

Guess we should make our expectations of female playables from here on around this new info.

Do you think this excludes any notable ladies from gaming aside from Mai?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Well Mai was considered too lewd for even a cameo in Smash.

Guess we should make our expectations of female playables from here on around this new info.

Do you think this excludes any notable ladies from gaming aside from Mai?
Not really, unless you take the original model of Lara Croft way too seriously.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
i think there should be be at least 2 new female newcomers as DLC..i really don't think that's asking much, especially since we are getting a 2nd pass so if the last DLC of this pass is male then that's cool
but in the 2nd pass i do think it's fair to see 2 female newcomers then at least.

there are alot of fighting games that introduces not just male but also female characters as DLC/new characters these days, so i don't think it's weird that there are people that wanna see at least a few females, i honestly would find it weird if all the 10 DLC characters are male (assuming the 2nd pass will have 5 characters too)

they did things right in previous games when it came to both genders but i will use the females as example to not make it a huge list lol
when melee arrived Peach & Zelda/Sheik got added in
in Brawl it was ZSS (though not as a own character but still it kinda counts?)
and sm4sh did it right too, they added Bayonetta, Palutena, Wii fit Trainer, Lucina and if you count alts then Robin & Corrin too (if i forgot someone let me know!)
and Ultimate with adding characters like Daisy, Isabelle & Inkling so far,

and of course most of the male characters they added so far i like alot of them as well! so it's not like i have anything against them,
the only character i really despise is the Plant but i got my personal reasons for that
You forgot Rosalina, Wendy and Villager. In Wendy's case, she's an alt while Girl Villager is the alt.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
The artists have gotten to work.

Ice-N-Space

Smash Apprentice
This drops my hope for female characters dramatically seeing Mai not getting included right after Sakurai said its about being fun and not how relevant you are.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to say this now. Whether or not Kazooie counts is an opinion. Some will think she does, some will think she doesn't, and both sides have their reasons.

That said, this whole ordeal is getting out of hand. Boycotting the Fighter Pass unless it gets a female character is completely unreasonable.

@Lesley Black Velvet I intend no offense, but some of the messages you've been leaving about this ordeal have caused me to worry that your desire to have a female character in the DLC is starting to become unhealthy.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
I'm going to say this now. Whether or not Kazooie counts is an opinion. Some will think she does, some will think she doesn't, and both sides have their reasons.

That said, this whole ordeal is getting out of hand. Boycotting the Fighter Pass unless it gets a female character is completely unreasonable.

@Lesley Black Velvet I intend no offense, but some of the messages you've been leaving about this ordeal have caused me to worry that your desire to have a female character in the DLC is starting to become unhealthy.
I have to disagree with the idea of Kazooie counting as a genuine female character in general. I think I can speak on behalf of most of us as I assert that a true female character for us is one that's: individual, preferably humanoid, and even relatable.
Kazooie doesn't count since she's an actual bird and her presence is overshadowed by Banjo. She's not playable either since she's used as a weapon.

We aren't "boycotting" the pass. We're simply expressing our disappointment at the absence of female fighters--as there is an ocean of interesting ones that have yet to be represented.

D

Deleted member

I have to disagree with the idea of Kazooie counting as a genuine female character in general. I think I can speak on behalf of most of us as I assert that a true female character for us is one that's: individual, preferably humanoid, and even relatable.
Kazooie doesn't count since she's an actual bird and her presence is overshadowed by Banjo. She's not playable either since she's used as a weapon.

We aren't "boycotting" the pass. We're simply expressing our disappointment at the absence of female fighters--as there is an ocean of interesting ones that have yet to be represented.
I have seen Lesley say she's boycotting the pass unless it has a female character. I apologize if it sounded like I was implying that everyone who supports this movement does that. That wasn't my intent.

I can see the disappointment, but keep in mind that representation has never been the main driving force for a character's inclusion. It has had an impact before, but Sakurai and Team have shown many a time that filling quota's, many of which are fan-made anyway, is not their goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
I have seen Lesley say she's boycotting the pass unless it has a female character. I apologize if it sounded like I was implying that everyone who supports this movement does that. That wasn't my intent.

I can see the disappointment, but keep in mind that representation has never been the main driving force for a character's inclusion. It has had an impact before, but Sakurai and Team have shown many a time that filling quota's, many of which are fan-made anyway, is not their goal.

EDIT:

Wait a minute, you're saying that Kazooie doesn't count as a genuine female character in general? Sorry to say, but that part IS factually incorrect. She's female, and she's a character that has many a memorable moment in her series. And she is very much individual. Being Banjo's Partner does not change that at all. Whether or not she's relatable is an opinion. Just because you don't find her relatable doesn't mean others don't.

Also, has to be humanoid to be genuine? Seriously?
Lmao, all good! Didn't realize she actually said that, but I understand her frustration.

The last DLC wave for Smash 4 only had Bayonetta (and Corrin) so I'm not expecting a whole lot myself.
I'm actually satisfied with the current pass. I thought Joker, Hero, and Terry's presentations were absolutely brilliant band unique. They also brought a lot to the table in terms of gimmicks and move sets.

At this point, I'd just like Reimu and I'd be completely satisfied, as everything else would be a bonus.

D

Deleted member

Lmao, all good! Didn't realize she actually said that, but I understand her frustration.

The last DLC wave for Smash 4 only had Bayonetta (and Corrin) so I'm not expecting a whole lot myself.
I'm actually satisfied with the current pass. I thought Joker, Hero, and Terry's presentations were absolutely brilliant band unique. They also brought a lot to the table in terms of gimmicks and move sets.

At this point, I'd just like Reimu and I'd be completely satisfied, as everything else would be a bonus.
Ah, I gotcha. You know, to shift gears for a minute to a female character I’d like to see (of which there are a few :p) there’s something I’ve been curious to about Cadence.

She’s from Crypt of the Necrodancer, but she also had a large role in Cadence of Hyrule. Which in a way is another Zelda game.

That makes me wonder how many things from Cadence of Hyrule she’d have in a moveset. Obviously it would mostly be Crypt of the Necrodancer stuff, but I do wonder if they’d try to put in some Zelda stuff for her moves.

BTW, if I may ask, Reimu is from Touhou correct?

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Both Pirhana Plant and B&K are gender-neutral. PP doesn't really have a gender, and Khazooie is female. If you technically wanted to make a tally:

:ultpiranha: - ambiguous
:ultjoker: - male
:ulthero: - male
:ultbanjokazooie: - both genders simultaneously
:ult_terry: male

There are a lot of female fighters in this game as well. I made a chart:

Capture.PNG
((Let me know if any of these are wrong. I think I got them all right, but wasn't sure for Duck Hunt / Dark Samus.))
There are 51 male characters, 11 female characters, 10 ambiguous characters, 3 characters that are male and female simultaneously, and 9 characters with both male and female skins.

So, technically, 31 of the total 82 characters can be not totally male. I'm willing to bet that number is actually, already, an over-representation on how many video game icons are actually female.

Complaining about it like this seems overly sjw'esque to me, tbh. None of the new characters have an African American appearance either, nor are many other minority groups represented in Smash Ultimate.

Honestly, I don't care. I just want to see great gaming icons represented in Smash, regardless of all this race / gender / sexual orientation stuff, and want to see them well-done and fun to play.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Two of Pikachu's costumes are female. The pikalibre costume and the one with the girl's cap from Sun and Moon.

I'd Dark Samus is considered female. Dark Samus is referred to using female pronouns in the Smash trophies and Samus's logbook.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Two of Pikachu's costumes are female. The pikalibre costume and the one with the girl's cap from Sun and Moon.

I'd Dark Samus is considered female. Dark Samus is referred to using female pronouns in the Smash trophies and Samus's logbook.
Also one of Pichu's costumes is Spiky-Eared Pichu from HG/SS. It's a female.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Ahhhh, alright, let me update the gender chart. I went ahead and updated it in the original post to put Pikachu and Pichu into the both as separate characters category, and Dark Samus as female

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Both Pirhana Plant and B&K are gender-neutral. PP doesn't really have a gender, and Khazooie is female. If you technically wanted to make a tally:

:ultpiranha: - ambiguous
:ultjoker: - male
:ulthero: - male
:ultbanjokazooie: - both genders simultaneously
:ult_terry: male

There are a lot of female fighters in this game as well. I made a chart:

((Let me know if any of these are wrong. I think I got them all right, but wasn't sure for Duck Hunt / Dark Samus.))
There are 51 male characters, 11 female characters, 10 ambiguous characters, 3 characters that are male and female simultaneously, and 9 characters with both male and female skins.

So, technically, 31 of the total 82 characters can be not totally male. I'm willing to bet that number is actually, already, an over-representation on how many video game icons are actually female.

Complaining about it like this seems overly sjw'esque to me, tbh. None of the new characters have an African American appearance either, nor are many other minority groups represented in Smash Ultimate.

Honestly, I don't care. I just want to see great gaming icons represented in Smash, regardless of all this race / gender / sexual orientation stuff, and want to see them well-done and fun to play.
Yoshi is male.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
individual, preferably humanoid, and even relatable.
Using that logic, that limits the amount of male characters to :ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultike::ultjoker::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultmarth::ultpokemontrainer::ultrobin::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultken::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ult_terry:, not counting the "relatable" aspect of your post, which in that case would probably shave the above list in half. Other characters either aren't individual or aren't humanoid enough (i.e., cartoon characters).

I've seen a lot of posts on this thread saying that some of the female characters we have "don't count" because they're an alternate costume/echo/whatever. In those cases, their male counterparts shouldn't count either, so it evens out. Trying to make it sound as if there are even less female characters in the game, therefore making it an even bigger priority to have a female newcomer, is also flawed logic. It doesn't help the argument that we need more females. People should be focusing on the benefits of having a new female character and what great things she would bring to Smash rather than lamenting and complaining about what we don't have. It's almost the same case for arguing we should buff low tiers rather than nerf top tiers.

Ignoring all of the made up requirements to determine whether or not a character is truly female to make it seem as if there are less female characters in the game, we have :ultbayonetta::ultwendy::ultcorrinf::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultlucina::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpokemontrainerf::ultrobinf::ultrosalina::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultvillagerf::ultwiifittrainer::ultzelda::ultzss:, and that doesn't include unisex characters like the Pokemon and the miis, or Kazooie, who seems to be the topic of super heated debate for some reason. I don't feel like number crunching right now, but not including unisex/nonbinary characters, the male to female ratio in Smash is roughly somewhere between 2:1 and 3:1 (my best estimate). That's egregious, but it could be worse, especially considering the dawn of games like Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda had females mainly relegated to the "damsel in distress" role. I'm grateful that fighters such as Peach or Zelda are even playable when in an alternate universe they'll probably never be in Smash because of a "damsel in distress" argument. So while we could definitely use more female characters in Smash, it's better to focus on the great things we already have and look forward to future additions instead of lamenting on things we don't have.

guyonthedock_js

Smash Rookie
My Mii Swordfighter is in a pretty pink dress with a flower sword and her name is FireEmblem. I'd be cool with another female fighter, but honestly, I'd still really like to have Conker or Sora in the mix. Predatoria's gender chart is pretty hard to refute. I say take the win and enjoy the game.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The most relatable character is Little Mac because he is a scrappy underdog aspiring for a boxing career who was rejected by trainers several times because of his size, who had to train his body in order to keep up with fighters bigger than himself, and who sucks at fighting in the air. Combat sports and martial arts require proper posture on the ground to throw a hit, so in real life we are like Little Mac in the air. He is also a human with no powers, genetic enhancements, weaponry or magic. Mac is a hardworker who struggles and is looked down in Punch Out and in Smash.

It's interesting that when people talk about including a character who is relatable or that they can identify with, the thought inmediately jumps to two beautiful and strong asian ladies who are very good at martial arts, can utilize ki attacks, throw gravity defying moves and have good fashion sense. Reminds me when I frequented anime forums in 2006. You got to see a lot of teenage users with Sephiroth avatars, and when they explained why they chose him, it would be something along the lines of "He is kinda like me" or "I identify with him"; sure you do pal. It's funny how people always relate to cool, baddass, beautiful and powerful characters but never with the underdog who fights for recognizition.

There is nothing wrong with wanting those types of characters in the game, but when you tell me you are looking for someone to identify/relate with, I roll my eyes a bit.

Last edited:

Ice-N-Space

Smash Apprentice
Using that logic, that limits the amount of male characters to :ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultike::ultjoker::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultmarth::ultpokemontrainer::ultrobin::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultken::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ult_terry:, not counting the "relatable" aspect of your post, which in that case would probably shave the above list in half. Other characters either aren't individual or aren't humanoid enough (i.e., cartoon characters).

I've seen a lot of posts on this thread saying that some of the female characters we have "don't count" because they're an alternate costume/echo/whatever. In those cases, their male counterparts shouldn't count either, so it evens out. Trying to make it sound as if there are even less female characters in the game, therefore making it an even bigger priority to have a female newcomer, is also flawed logic. It doesn't help the argument that we need more females. People should be focusing on the benefits of having a new female character and what great things she would bring to Smash rather than lamenting and complaining about what we don't have. It's almost the same case for arguing we should buff low tiers rather than nerf top tiers.

Ignoring all of the made up requirements to determine whether or not a character is truly female to make it seem as if there are less female characters in the game, we have :ultbayonetta::ultwendy::ultcorrinf::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultlucina::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpokemontrainerf::ultrobinf::ultrosalina::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultvillagerf::ultwiifittrainer::ultzelda::ultzss:, and that doesn't include unisex characters like the Pokemon and the miis, or Kazooie, who seems to be the topic of super heated debate for some reason. I don't feel like number crunching right now, but not including unisex/nonbinary characters, the male to female ratio in Smash is roughly somewhere between 2:1 and 3:1 (my best estimate). That's egregious, but it could be worse, especially considering the dawn of games like Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda had females mainly relegated to the "damsel in distress" role. I'm grateful that fighters such as Peach or Zelda are even playable when in an alternate universe they'll probably never be in Smash because of a "damsel in distress" argument. So while we could definitely use more female characters in Smash, it's better to focus on the great things we already have and look forward to future additions instead of lamenting on things we don't have.
Wario, Mario, Luigi and others are male humanoids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom