• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

#UltimateDLCSoMale: The Female DLC Character Discussion

Should we have at least one female newcomer in the DLC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JEFFC3S

Smash Rookie
I
I'd honestly prefer Skyward Sword Impa, namely because we already have a ton of OoT representation with Young Link (who should have been Majora's Mask Young Link) & Ganondorf. I'd also throw in Twintelle, Urbosa, Elma, Ring Fit Adventurer, & 2B, but that's just me.
The reason why OoT is so represented is because it is the most important game of the series, as it serves iconically as the foundation for the Zelda timeline.

OoT Impa is arguably her best incarnation, considering her multiple versions throughout the series.

I personally feel the Goron and Zora race should be represented as well in Smash, what better way to represent them than including Darunia and Princess Ruto to expand Zelda's representation in the Smash roster.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
OoT Impa is arguably the best personification considering her multiple versions throughout the series.
Do you mean characterization? 'Cause if so, then I really ain't seeing it. Impa in OoT has maybe two lines. Contrast that with Skyward Sword, where she's a consistently important character, or even Breath of the Wild, where she still at least has a role beyond showing up twice.

JEFFC3S

Smash Rookie
Do you mean characterization? 'Cause if so, then I really ain't seeing it. Impa in OoT has maybe two lines. Contrast that with Skyward Sword, where she's a consistently important character, or even Breath of the Wild, where she still at least has a role beyond showing up twice.
Sorry, I meant incarnation. English is not my primary language.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
While I'm not upset by the lack of females in the fighter pass, I don't see any issues with wanting a character you can identify with, and there are definitely female characters that are iconic enough to get in without solely relying on their gender.
My Ideas? Chell (Portal), Lara Croft, Tracer, Chun Li, Reimu, Madeline (Celeste), and I'm sure there's others that I am missing.

Although I think it's rather silly to boycott the fighter pass, especially since there is more DLC coming.

D

Deleted member

Although I think it's rather silly to boycott the fighter pass, especially since there is more DLC coming
Yeah, but I don't have hope for the DLC. In case you don't know, I'm planning to shift to BBCF in case we don't get women in the roster.

I know it's silly, but's my decision and everything

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but I don't have hope for the DLC. In case you don't know, I'm planning to shift to BBCF in case we don't get women in the roster.

I know it's silly, but's my decision and everything
And you're free to make that decision. Honestly if it's that important to you, maybe it's not too silly.

I've been interested in Central Fiction, have you played it all? If so, would you recommend it to someone who hasn't played a whole lot of traditional fighting?

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Yeah...but you do know representation is a deal. I mean, you want people to relate to characters they identify themselves with. The same could be said of color, age, etc.

Sex is quite a big deal if you ask me.
Not every character is tailored so that people can identify with them. Most of the time nobody identifies with Batman or Superman, but they do with Spiderman. That character was literally created to be relatable.

I doubt most consumers are looking for someone to identify with in the Smash roster or worrying if the next newcomer is going to match their age, race, etc. Do people like Banjo & Kazooie because it appeals to their internal bear & bird personality? Did people ask for Ridley because his draconic form and murderous demeanor was relatable? Nope. As the previous user said, people like those characters because of their fondness for their games.

I still think its a mistake to force social agendas in Smash just to appeal to a crowd with special sensitivities. We have enough of that jazz in real life. Video games are meant to be an escape from that. Which is why I think it's silly and arrogant to demand these ideologies to be injected towards the japanese developers working on this game as if they are morally and socially obligated to do so for the sake of the people who are feeling "left out".

Can people stop coming into this thread assuming that wanting more female characters is bad? Because the thought that some people want female characters without any other merits besides being female is an extremely disingenuous one. It's very condescending to women, and to people besides women who would also like to see more female characters.
Please, don't pull the victim card on us, my dude. It's insulting to our intelligence.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
And yet, the completely unique male King K. Rool was chosen over the relatively simpler semiclone female Dixie Kong. Funny, they didn't seem to have a problem with time constraints and echos there.

Literally the complete opposite situation, yet the male still gets chosen first.
Smash Ballot had a very strong influence on who got into Ultimate's roster mostly base: all missing veterans, Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, Simon, Richter, Daisy, Dark Samus, and Chrom. K. Rool dominated the Ballot and was always in the top 3 mostly 1 in most of the online polls before his inclusion, so the online polls were dead accurate about K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie's placements on the Smash Ballot or at least very, VERY close.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Lucina got added alongside default male Robin and to this day remains the only default female Fire Emblem character, and is currently the main mascot of the series.
I don't have much to say on the point of female characters as DLC, if they add them they add them, if they don't they don't, there are no political statements here, and honestly I don't think there should be (even though gender discussions don't need to be inherently political I blame the media for making everything political). Despite this, I want to take this specific point to task

The only real FE "mascot" would be Marth. Roy too you can argue, but FE in general is a rotating cast of characters every single game. Lucina is very plot important to the FE game that brought FE back, sure, but once Fates came out Lucina and the rest of the Awakening cast fell to the wayside. Reminder that FE Warriors had about 5 Awakening characters at launch (not counting Robin's alt) while Fates had 9 (again, not counting Corrin alts). Even now, the face of FE is basically shared by all 3 lords and Byleth, and while I will agree that Lucina is important, she is in no way a mascot any more than Corrin is.

EDIT: grammar

Last edited:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
While I'm not a huge fan of Tomb Raider I think Lara Croft is undubtly the most iconic female videgame character ands would deserve to be in the game.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
The only real FE "mascot" would be Marth. Roy too you can argue, but FE in general is a rotating cast of characters every single game. Lucina is very plot important to the FE game that brought FE back, sure, but once Fates came out Lucina and the rest of the Awakening cast fell to the wayside. Reminder that FE Warriors had about 5 Awakening characters at launch (not counting Robin's alt) while Fates had 9 (again, not counting Corrin alts). Even now, the face of FE is basically shared by all 3 lords and Byleth, and while I will agree that Lucina is important, she is in no way a mascot any more than Corrin is.
Anna.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While I'm not a huge fan of Tomb Raider I think Lara Croft is undubtly the most iconic female videgame character ands would deserve to be in the game.
I never played the Tomb Raider games, but I agree with you. Lara Croft is the most iconic video game female not in Smash Bros. and deserves to be in Smash's hall of fame roster.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Krystal was more popular than Wolf at Brawl's release and Chun Li is more popular than Ken, yet in both cases the less popular male was chosen over the more popular female. Welp, so much for your shoving diversity picks theory.
Except that's not true. Based off the polls made pre-Brawl, Wolf and Krystal were at worst even in terms of fan-requests with Wolf slightly edging out her. Heck, Sakurai specifically chose Wolf due to fan demand.

And in the case of Chun-Li vs Ken, neither of them had much in terms of requests among the Smash community back during 2015, the year when the Smash Ultimate roster was finalised. Ken simply had the advantage of being a feasible echo inclusion unlike Chun-Li.

Mind you, these example are highly different from something like K. Rool vs Dixie, where the former was clearly overwhelmingly demanded, especially in comparison to the latter.

It’s honestly a shame, as some of the new blood at Nintendo seem to be a bit more progressive regarding such matters (see Splatoon & ARMS).
ARMS may have quiet a number of female characters, but Spring Man would still be the most likely character to be playable in a Smash game, being the poster buy for that game.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I don't know anyone who genuinely loves Spring Man. Everyone else in ARMS is more beloved than him in my experience.

While Spring Man is the assist trophy, we got Mii costumes for both him and Ribbon Girl. My guess is that, at the very least, both would be included together if possible.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Anna would be such an obscure choice for dlc. If someone wanted a FireEmblem fighter and for them to be female, there are better choices out there. Not everyone is going to be onboard with some random fighter from Awakening that didn't really need to be recruited or in the story for Awakening's plot to move forward.

There are already other fighters who have been in high demand that kind of surpass the votes/wants within this topic, such as Lloyd from ToS (It'd be weird to have a ToS rep and not make it him. Like making it Colette or Raine) Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton (I've heard he's been in high demand) However, a lot of the female cast I keep thinking of are kind of forcing it since their fanbase isn't as large or doesn't have as much impact.

And some of the female cast probably don't have a chance anymore like Tracer. I can't see Nintendo wanting to get caught in that sticky situation. So any chance of OW or Tracer getting in is kind of dead in the water. It sucks, but so does Blizzard.

I'd still be hoping for Dixie. And it'd be kind of funny if they rehash that trailer where now Banjo and Kazooie are watching alongside DK, Diddy, and K.Rool. But maybe not, since that'd be kind of pushing it and edging on lazy. I keep hearing the community as a whole complain that Dixie would be underwhelming, but she wouldn't be as underwhelming as most of the suggested ones here that don't have that much significance. Dixie has been around since the early 90s and has even stared alongside DK/Diddy and had her own game. She's due to get in, whether Smash Ult or 6.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Anna would be such an obscure choice for dlc. If someone wanted a FireEmblem fighter and for them to be female, there are better choices out there. Not everyone is going to be onboard with some random fighter from Awakening that didn't really need to be recruited or in the story for Awakening's plot to move forward.

There are already other fighters who have been in high demand that kind of surpass the votes/wants within this topic, such as Lloyd from ToS (It'd be weird to have a ToS rep and not make it him. Like making it Colette or Raine) Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton (I've heard he's been in high demand) However, a lot of the female cast I keep thinking of are kind of forcing it since their fanbase isn't as large or doesn't have as much impact.

And some of the female cast probably don't have a chance anymore like Tracer. I can't see Nintendo wanting to get caught in that sticky situation. So any chance of OW or Tracer getting in is kind of dead in the water. It sucks, but so does Blizzard.

I'd still be hoping for Dixie. And it'd be kind of funny if they rehash that trailer where now Banjo and Kazooie are watching alongside DK, Diddy, and K.Rool. But maybe not, since that'd be kind of pushing it and edging on lazy. I keep hearing the community as a whole complain that Dixie would be underwhelming, but she wouldn't be as underwhelming as most of the suggested ones here that don't have that much significance. Dixie has been around since the early 90s and has even stared alongside DK/Diddy and had her own game. She's due to get in, whether Smash Ult or 6.
I don’t think Anna would be that obscure, she’s one of the main characters (and the only non original character in the main cast) of the mobile game, which was exceedingly popular and probably the most successful Fire Emblem media revenue wise (sure, a lot of that was gacha mechanics, but there's still an inherently enormous audience for that sort of thing). I agree with you on Dixie though.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Did you just call Anna some random recruit from Awakening? When she's also playable in Heroes (as a main character, baby!), Fates, Warriors, and Three Houses? Moreover, aside from being a recruit, she's also a game guide/NPC/commander/shopkeeper/recurring character who has also been in almost every other Fire Emblem I didn't name earlier (including the upcoming Tokyo Mirage Sessions port), and will most likely be featured in future entries. She's one of the only Fire Emblem characters who can always get away with being DLC in her home series because making money is her shtick, so why not Smash one day? She can show off moves from the Merchant, Trickster/Assassin, Bow Knight/Sniper, Sage/Dark Knight, classes. Or any and everything, to be honest because she's a shopkeeper. Rather than representing FE gameplay by spacing with a blade, she can also show off other aspects of the series like mines and ballistae by controlling the battlefield with different traps and projectiles. Heck, she can even beat people up with help from her large family (who look exactly like her and have the same name), or have a moveset centered around a shopkeeper gimmick.

There aren't better choices out there, IMO. She's a recognizable legacy character with an iconic pose who's been in nearly every game and has been in nearly every role. Just referencing the different classes she's been in throughout the years alone would give her a vast and varied arsenal. Her shopkeeper status is what makes her unique not only compared to the rest of the FE cast, but it's a character archetype that's missing from the Smash roster in general.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
Anna would be such an obscure choice for dlc. If someone wanted a FireEmblem fighter and for them to be female, there are better choices out there. Not everyone is going to be onboard with some random fighter from Awakening that didn't really need to be recruited or in the story for Awakening's plot to move forward..
before you start to say bad things about a character i have to suggest you do your research first to make sure what your saying is at least half truth,
Anna has appeared in EVERY FE game even playable in some of the games
if Anna gets in then she deserves it,
if someone would say the exact same thing bout Dixie Kong then i think you could relate more as to why people are defending Anna right now.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
before you start to say bad things about a character i have to suggest you do your research first to make sure what your saying is at least half truth,
if someone would say the exact same thing bout Dixie Kong then i think you could relate more as to why people are defending Anna right now.
Well, she wasn't in Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia. But then again, she even was in Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Agreed.

Technically, she's been in everything but Gaiden and its remake (because there are no shops), but it's still an amazing track record, and her absence has been referenced in-universe.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
lol I didn't realize she had as large as a fan-base as she did. Nevermind disregard my post. Dixie isn't really the dlc I would want, but since this is the female thread I suggested her. To be honest, I really want to see Paper Mario, but the likes of him ever appearing in Smash are pretty slim.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Anna would be the only FemFE character that I'd be okay with. She could even use another sword and I'd still buy her.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I don't think they ever have included a fighter that was also an assist. I don't know how that would work. Unless they specifically program the game to not have Lyn spawn from assist when she is used. They did that with Toon Link on the train for the 3ds. I think they did, at least. I never owned the 3ds version, but I saw it mentioned somewhere before.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I don't think they ever have included a fighter that was also an assist. I don't know how that would work. Unless they specifically program the game to not have Lyn spawn from assist when she is used. They did that with Toon Link on the train for the 3ds. I think they did, at least. I never owned the 3ds version, but I saw it mentioned somewhere before.
I was talking hypothetically, not for Ultimate specifically.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I figured as much, but Midna is also an assist and plenty want to see her in Smash as well. And I think she'd make a great combo with WolfLink. Or alone, but most of TP Midna was on wolf link.

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
Yes, that was done for the Spirit Tracks stage. There are also Assist Trophies who don't appear in certain stages (Ex: You can't get Knuckles as an AT on Green Hill Zone).

D

Deleted member

I figured as much, but Midna is also an assist and plenty want to see her in Smash as well. And I think she'd make a great combo with WolfLink. Or alone, but most of TP Midna was on wolf link.
Side note: why the **** did they make Wolf Link the enhanced Midna Spirit when they could have made her normal form the enhanced version...

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Side note: why the **** did they make Wolf Link the enhanced Midna Spirit when they could have made her normal form the enhanced version...
Think of it this way: since Midna is basically telling Link what to do for the first half of the game, she's kind of like Link's boss almost, so you can see her enhanced spirit as gaining an employee to order around while she sits back and lets him do most of the work.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Midna is more like Link's guide than she is his boss. Link himself wants to save the land and Zelda. So by telling him how to do that Midna guides Link to his own goals and thus acts as his guide.

D

Deleted member

If the new leaks are true...

We're still gonna be here. Though I doubt anyone would be interested anymore.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm still here. Impa is my girl.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
For a first party female DLC:

I want Dixie Kong. She is by far my most wanted female character; it’s not just because of DKC’s history with Nintendo, but also because I believe we need more anthropomorphic female characters. Dixie at one point was considered to be paired up with Diddy as a fighter back when the development team was working on Brawl but didn’t get included in the final process. It would be a tough pill to swallow for us who are supporters of her if Dixie misses out on being included in the roster again. She is both a first party character and an anthropomorphic female, and I believe we need more of those in Smash.

Krystal would have been nice but since she is an assist trophy, chances are she will most likely stay that way.

Also, it would be nice to have a female character from the Legend of Zelda make it; that franchise hasn’t had a newcomer for a while and it’s overdue.
Either Tetra, Midna, or Impa are all good choices.

For a third party female DLC:

Interestingly enough, even though there have been talks of more numerous third party character coming in, hardly any have been female.

My most wanted female character that isn’t from Nintendo would be Valkyrie from Valkyrie no Densetsu as an “out of left field” pick.

Also, I would like to see Lara Croft make it because she is a big name in the industry.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
My most wanted female character that isn’t from Nintendo would be Valkyrie from Valkyrie no Densetsu as an “out of left field” pick.
If she isn't picked would you be fine with her as Mii Swordfighter costume?
I can see it happening because she has been an alt outfit for Cassandra in Soul Calibur II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom