• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

#UltimateDLCSoMale: The Female DLC Character Discussion

Should we have at least one female newcomer in the DLC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I know we have our own different opinions on things but this supposed to be a thread about female characters so keep all of the Goku crap out of this. Besides if by some miracle that he gets in it will destroy the entire Smash series as a whole period. Bottom line is he`s never getting in.
I second the motion. Goku will destroy what made Smash in the first place: the celebration of video games.

Back to female discussion: yeah, I highly recommend you check the Newcomer Speculation thread. I've heated up so much tea there.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Adding Goku in will then lead to people asking for more like Batman, Shrek, Spider-Man and Spongebob. Do we need any of that? Why should Goku be an exception just because he's popular?

I'll stop there though.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Not to be that guy, but Goku was only brought up because someone was trying to make a swing at another forum member for wanting him in Smash. He would have never been brought into the thread to begin with if not for that.

D

Deleted member

Yeah. If there's anyone to blame for this mess, it ain't me.

Once again, let's keep this discussion civilzed, shall we?

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
You know a gag fighter for a female would be kind of fun. Like Malon from Zelda could utilize cows, chickens, and milk somehow.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
You are soooo goddamn right she is hot.

Look, if you want to stay here, we should kesp the discussion limited to Smash and less about politics. I'm not saying yours are a fluke, they are valid points. Just keep the Goku stuff away from this forum and discuss that somewhere else. This is a forum dedicated for female characters, not women studies. I might as well take that up in college.
??? I was just trying to discuss what DQ content could have been added. I for one really have a distaste for politics in gaming so I didn't mean to bring any in the conversation. Sorry if It seemed like I did.

On another Note as for Roll she could be a mix of her capcom vs tatsunoko and MvC incarnations. She should really be her own character. Otherwise Semi-clone could work just like Isabelle

1FC0

Smash Lord
You know a gag fighter for a female would be kind of fun. Like Malon from Zelda could utilize cows, chickens, and milk somehow.
Speaking about gag characters, I actually want a joke character that's weak on purpose. Such characters can be fun and challenging to play as. Melee had Pichu, and SSBB had Ganondorf, the latter of which was a secondary of mine which I used against bad players to even out the odds.

Oil Can robo would be really cool to have for this since it fits his canon, but he's a bit obscure and unimportant so will probably not get added.

I think the Wire Frames from Melee would be perfect for this. They would give Smash Bros representation in the roster —from it's most timeless entry no less— and would avoid making people think that Smash Bros. favours itself in balancing, because they're extra weak joke characters. There's also 2 of them: a male who plays like Captain Falcon and a female who plays like Zelda. Back in the Melee days I used hacking tools to play against my friends with a Wire Frame and it was really cool. I was much better than they were so this really evened out the odds a bit since the Wire Frames are really underwhelming.

D

Deleted member

*chuckles at how the female discussion in this thread is dwarfed by the female discussion in the Newcomer thread.*

D

Deleted member

Pretty sure the devs of Smash don't care about diversity and representation in terms of women, the only thing they care about is putting characters with some sort of gaming legacy or popularity, regardless if they are female or not. It's fine to want more female characters but don't expect a female character to be the next newcomer 100%.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If any female should get be in Smash in terms of legacy and iconness. Its Lara Croft. She more then earns her spot.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
As I've pointed out before, Ultimate is doing just fine with female newcomers.

64: :samus64:
Melee: :peachmelee::sheikmelee::zeldamelee::icsmelee:
Brawl: :zerosuitsamus:
Smash 4: :4wiifit::rosalina::4palutena::4lucina::4bayonetta:
Ultimate: :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultisabelle::ultbanjokazooie:

All we have to do is get one more female character and Ultimate will be the game that added the most female fighters (5½).
Forgot:4corrinf::4villagerf:
And :ultpokemontrainerf:

:4robinf: and :4wendy: as well.

Anyways, I feel it should be an obvious thing to believe in, but female characters shouldn’t just be added to Smash willy nilly. The same could be said for villains, characters from new series, indies, or even just anyone in general. Every (female) newcomer to Smash has to stand on their own feet, with their own prestige, uniqueness, and popularity both within their own series and outside of it as serious factors. Their gender shouldn’t really matter to the debate IMO.

While I would really like to have another female newcomers in Ultimate, a lot of the popular choices I see get thrown around don’t sit too well with me. Though it’s mostly a factor of conceivability since they tend to have a lot of competition with other prospective male newcomers from their home series.

That being said, gimme Dixie Kong. If not her, then 2B, Terra, and Reimu, however slim their chances may be.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Here's a fun topic: try to post moveset concepts for any gals y'all want from games that don't feature traditional combat. I've came up with some for characters from visual novels, point and clicks, and Style Savvy.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
If you want a character represent females, there's no character better than Reimu. In case you didn't know, Reimu is the main character of the Touhou series, and is an extremely popular indie franchise from Japan. In fact, you might consider it THE indie franchise in Japan. Here are the reasons why Reimu is the perfect female icon:
  • Touhou is a franchise with an almost entirely female cast
  • Touhou is very popular among females and elementary-aged school girls in Japan
  • Reimu's design is feminine and tasteful, inspired by classic procelein dolls
  • The mainline series is completely devoid of fanservice or sexualized content
If you want to learn more about the Touhou games themselves, I suggest visiting this link
I know that popularity-wise, Touhou is pretty much cult-status in the West. However, it's a hugely influential video game series in Japan and definitely deserves to stand among other iconic video game franchises in Smash.
Also, Reimu's Smash popularity is steadily growing thanks to ZUN's (the creator) interest in Smash. Please consider visiting the Reimu thread to show your support!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If you want a character represent females, there's no character better than Reimu. In case you didn't know, Reimu is the main character of the Touhou series, and is an extremely popular indie franchise from Japan. In fact, you might consider it THE indie franchise in Japan. Here are the reasons why Reimu is the perfect female icon:
  • Touhou is a franchise with an almost entirely female cast
  • Touhou is very popular among females and elementary-aged school girls in Japan
  • Reimu's design is feminine and tasteful, inspired by classic procelein dolls
  • The mainline series is completely devoid of fanservice or sexualized content
If you want to learn more about the Touhou games themselves, I suggest visiting this link
I know that popularity-wise, Touhou is pretty much cult-status in the West. However, it's a hugely influential video game series in Japan and definitely deserves to stand among other iconic video game franchises in Smash.
Also, Reimu's Smash popularity is steadily growing thanks to ZUN's (the creator) interest in Smash. Please consider visiting the Reimu thread to show your support!
I've already voiced my support. You'd find me there.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don’t think I could bring up any female character that hasn’t been talked to death by now.
Unless it’s a really unlikely one.

Originated in videogames? Yes!
Represented company? Sorta.
She’s from Konami and the now defunct LucasArts.

I bring you.

Julie (And Zeke as alt) from Zombie’s Ate My Neighbors.

Moveset (explained)

NORMALS:
A: Water squirt rapid fire (hold for 8-directions)

Ftilt: Silverware throw
Disappear after entering mid-range.

Dtilt: Zombie pops up swinging
Zombie pops head and arm slashes upward.

Utilt: Drawer monster
Opens a box, and a purple monster pops up for half a second attacking above Julie.

AERIALS:
Nair: Ancient Artifact
Energy burst circles Julie quickly.

Dair: Fire Extinguisher
Shoots a chilling mist at opponents from above.

Uair: Circle Bats
Vlad Belmont’s bats harass Julie while
Hitting nearby opponents for a very brief while.

Bair: Tomato
Smack an opponent with a tomato. Affected by gravity.

Fair: Dish plate
Flies just like clay discs, breaks on contact.

SMASH ATTACKS:
Fsmash: Bazooka
Powerful but slow long range smash attack. It’s even stronger when hit at point blank range. Julie will fly backward about 10 units due to recoil.

Dsmash: Weedeater
Julie swings around the weedeater at ground level, hitting opponents around her.

Upsmash: Pandora’s Box
Opens a golden box, and energy bursts fly upwards in full force, covering a lot of vertical ground, much like Thunderbolt.

SPECIALS:
B: Soda Can
Throws a soda can forward in an arc, which blows up, causing water damage (includes windbox on blast).

Side B: Ice Pop
A weak projectile that freezes opponents with high percentage.

Down B: Bobo Clown
An inflatable clown pops up, and works like a wall that will break by receiving a good chunk of damage. Only one can be out at the time.

Up B: Martian Bubble Gun
(Tap to Fire diagonally upwards. Hold to shoot self for recovery). Gun will encapsulate target on a bubble for 3 seconds. Julie can rise quickly to recover, the opponent is helpless for 3 seconds or until touched.

Final Smash:
Monster Potion: Turns Julie/Zeke into a furry beast, then punches the lights out of opponent DK/Giga Mac style.

Attachments

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
Here's a dark horse candidate for you: Barbara from Jam with the Band. She's a guitar rocker, and I like that. She very well may have influenced the character Luna Loud from The Loud House. This is despite her games not being in NA.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Glad you guys can get suggestions.

If we can't get one this pass, we'll get one next time...and next time...and next time...fuccckkkk

cj.

Smash Journeyman
Here are some of the heroines that I would love to see and a brief explanation of why

*Metal Slug Team (Eri Kasamoto, Fiolina "Fio" Germi with Marco Rossi & Tarma Roving): Although Marco and Tarma are males, the four are the main characters, and I think they would be a great addition to represent the run gun genre, All of them have accomplished great feats such as ruining alien invasions or defeating General Morden's army, face ancestral gods etc

*Nakoruru: One of the most popular SNK characters and pet along with Terry, his popularity surprised even his own creators, since unlike other popular female characters from SNK such as Mai, Athena etc. She was never a sexualized character, and she doesn't need any of that to be the great character she is!

*Terra Branford: She is one of my favorite video game characters of all time, she is simply the most popular Final Fantasy "protagonist" in the Snes era, She has an excellent development, and is one of the most powerful heroines in the franchise!

KatKit

Smash Lord
Until yesterday, I only made moveset concepts for women from non-combatant games (Style Savvy, e.g.) I decided to try to spice things up and make a unique moveset for an action game character: 2B.

Okay, so here's my take on a 2B moveset. Her unique character gimmick is that her side special is simply a dash (called Agression Shift in Soul Calibur) that allows various follow-up attacks by inputting the A or B buttons and directional inputs (neutral, up, down, or side). Thus, her side B dash gives her 8 additional attack follow-ups. Overall, she is a highly fun yet technical character with various attacks for many situations. I'm throwing in the entire kitchen sink. This is as true to character as it gets; there are references galore!

Neutral Special: Pod fire. By pressing the B button, 2B uses her pod to fire three weak pellets across the screen. They have no knockback. If you continue to press the button, the pellets continue to fire. However, when you hold down the button instead of pressing it, 2B charges and fires an aimable laser beam instead.

Side special: Aggression Shift. In Nier Automata, it's the move where she zips around after holding the dodge button. In Smash, it's a dash that allows her to perform various follow-up special attacks. On it's own, it's good for maneuvering around the stage. After using two follow-ups, there's a 25 second cooldown. Below is each follow-up attack. It's a lot, so I'll put it in a spoiler tag:

Wire (Side-B follow-up)

By pressing side B again, 2B shoots out a wire that pulls her closer to the opponent. Doubles as a tether recovery.

Bomb (Neutral B follow-up)

By pressing neutral B after side special, 2B throws out two explosive projectiles from her pod.

Missile (Up-B follow-up)

2B quickly launches herself upwards with her pod. Can be angled. Can be used as a stage recovery.

Slow Field (Down-B follow-up)

2B shoots a gravity field in front of her that lasts 8 seconds. It slows down players in its range. Deals no damage.

Blade (Neutral A follow-up)

By pressing neutral A after side special, 2B uses a spinning blade attack that first hits behind her, then rotates around and hits in front of her. Time the hit rotation for combo extensions.

Hammer (side-A Follow-up)

By pressing side-A after side special, 2B throws out a slow yet powerful hammer attack with great range. It can meteor-smash opponents by the ledge.

Spear (Down-A follow-up)

By pressing down-A after side special, 2B uses a spear attack that hits in both directions. The top of the spear has a sweetspot that briefly pins down enemies, so it's best to use on airborne opponents.

Wave (up-A follow-up)

While performed on the ground, 2B jumps in the air and throws out a projectile with a shockwave. The further away from the center of the projectile, the less damage it deals to opponents. While performing the move in the air, 2B only leaps in the air diagonally and doesn't throw out the projectile.

Down special: Angler Stance: Press it to make 2B sit down on a holographic chair. Doubles as a taunt. Press B again to throw out the pod and wrangle up some poor fool. Basically, you throw opponents with your futuristic fishing rod, Isabelle style.

Up-special: 2B uses her longsword to thrust herself in the air. Like Witch Twist, the ground version sends her in the air, and let's her continue her assault from there. Unlike Witch Twitch, it can't be used again in the air if it was performed on the ground.

Final Smash: Yorha flight unit. 2B uses her Volt pod program. If it hits, she then throws out this attack and vanishes. Cue cinematic cutscene of 2B flying around and blasting the place in her mecha.

Up taunt: Flashlight. 2B flickers her pod's lights on/off. If used repeatedly on AI opponents under level 9, it aggros them.

Side Taunt: Scanner.

2B's pod scans the ground. There's a 1/42 chance he'll find a weak recovery item you can pull (that heals %1) or leave for your opponent, and he'll say "Item detected" (Did I not say the entire kitchen sink?!)

Down taunt: She pets her pod and he says "affinity increased".

Walking animation:

Idle animations:

Changes depending on if she's unarmed or not. If she's not holding any weapons, she'll simply stretch/yawn.

Otherwise, she'll twirl those puppies around:

Dash attack

Forward Tilt: 2B pokes the opponent with her spear. Can be chained up to three times. Each time slightly propels 2B forward.

Up Tilt: 2B slashes the opponent with her katana in an upward motion. At low percentages, she can usually follow-up with a jump into an aerial attack.

Down Tilt: When held, 2B gets on her knees and spins around with her katana like so. The held version hits in both directions but isn't very fast. When pressed, she throws out a rapid crouching kick forward on the ground.

Jab: The rapid jab version (holding the A button) involves 2B pummeling with her combat bracers. Conversely, pressing the A button 3 times is her standard katana slash combo.

Smash attack:

Although very stylish, 2B impractically spins around with her longsword. Very slow but has good range. For balancing purposes, it only hits in front of her. Pressing it again gives her a second spin like so. Pray you don't get hit by it. When fully charged, 2B also throws the sword at you.

Up Smash: 2B twirls her spear around a couple of times kinda fast. Like Link and Metaknight's up-smash, it's a multi-hitting attack. It'll look like this except she doesn't glide forward.

D-Smash: 2B spins with her longsword in a circular motion. I'm noticing a pattern here... Obviously, PlatinumGames knows that spinning is awesome lol. When fully charged, 2B throws the sword at you.

Neutral Air: Pod spin kick. 2B holds onto her pod and performs a spin kick. I can't find an image of this, but it's very reminiscent of Jak and Daxter. If you continue to hold down the A button after the attack, 2B grabs the pod and slowly descends to the ground. It slightly elevates her midair, so it doubles as a third jump.

Back Air: She lunges at you with her combat bracers kinda like at the end of this combo.

Forward Air: She slashes forward with her katana. Can be used up to three times consecutively.

Up Air: 2B stabs directly above her with her spear.

Down air: This downward sword thrust. Or maybe this, but her skirt defies gravity this time.

Forward Throw: This

Back Throw: 2B throws the opponent behind her and fires a missile from her pod.

Down Throw: Mirage.

2B briefly vanishes while rapidly slashing the opponent. Briefly has i-frames on start-up.

Up throw: Yeet heel.

2B kicks opponents upward into the stratosphere. Is a kill throw when opponents are at high percentages.

Miscellaneous: Perfect Dodge

If timed properly, 2B has an after-image dodge that functions similarly to Bayonetta's 'Bat Within'.

Her shield break animation mirrors her self-destruct recovery animation (except her skirt doesn't blow up):

Victory animation: Glory to Mankind.

I'm just throwing it out there because I think her chances are pretty good. She seems like a shoo-in for next season's DLC, IMO. And coming up with this took a good 2 hours of my life, so I gotta spam it where applicable, haha.

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
The only real problem is that none of the nier games have been on a nintendo console. I mean even joker had persona Q on the 3ds before he showed up. But I'm still rooting for 2B

D

Deleted member

The only real problem is that none of the nier games have been on a nintendo console. I mean even joker had persona Q on the 3ds before he showed up. But I'm still rooting for 2B
Still, 2B would be kinda similar to Joker in that she's a modern gaming icon that can fit well in Smash.

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
I'm glad that more people are starting to become aware of the problem with the lack of diversity on the roster, as it's something that's begun to bother me as time went on. As it stands right now, Smash Ultimate isn't doing so hot in terms of its female fighter percentage (the ratio of characters who are primarily women by default compared to the rest of the roster), with said percentage sitting at 18.519%. For reference, this is worse than almost any other fighting game, with the only two that Smash Ultimate is better than in this regard being Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite & Dragon Ball FighterZ. If you want more information, here's the thread in case you're curious.

Analyzing the percentage of female fighters in the rosters of the current batch of fighting games

My hope at this point is that Sakurai & Nintendo become aware of the problem and try to rectify it going forward. Street Fighter V keeps its balance of ladies in check by having at least two women for every season of DLC. Perhaps Smash Ultimate could try something similar to improve the situation. Either way, the fact that everyone we've gotten in the Fighters Pass thus far is primarily male (yes, there's Kazooie, but she's the secondary part of a duo & to consider her sufficient female representation is honestly disingenuous, regardless of how awesome she is as a character) isn't exactly the best look.

1FC0

Smash Lord
For reference, this is worse than almost any other fighting game, with the only two that Smash Ultimate is better than in this regard being Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite & Dragon Ball FighterZ
Apparently Them's Fightin' Herds, Arcana Heart 3: LOVEMAX SIX STARS!!!!!!, SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy and Skullgirls: 2nd Encore are all also less balanced than Smash. In fact, the first 3 of those are tied for having the worst balanced roster of all fighting games.

So then Smash is actually the 7th worst balanced fighter.

And actually Smash is even more balanced because:
characters with alts of the opposite gender are only counted if they're female by default & aren't the secondary character of a duo, so no Robin, Villager, Pokémon Trainer, Pikachu, Corrin, Wendy, Pichu, or Ice Climbers
Which means that their percentage cannot be used as a measure for balance because charcters who are both male and female would be implicitly counted as male.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
Apparently Them's Fightin' Herds, Arcana Heart 3: LOVEMAX SIX STARS!!!!!!, SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy and Skullgirls: 2nd Encore are all also less balanced than Smash.

So then Smash is actually the 7th worst balanced fighter.
When coming up with the percentages, I compare the number of characters who are primarily women on the roster to the total size of the roster. This is to be more fair in comparing larger rosters to smaller ones. And within that context, Smash Ultimate isn't doing so hot. In case you don't want to check the thread, here's a graph.

In short, yeah, it's not a good look. And while I do recognize that it's mostly the industry's fault, I do still believe that Sakurai & Nintendo can and should do better. Smash Ultimate is the biggest fighting game of all time, it should at least try to be more inclusive. And the lack of women on the roster is only becoming more evident as time goes on. I say this as someone who loves the game & wants to see it do better on all fronts.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
When coming up with the percentages, I compare the number of characters who are primarily women on the roster to the total size of the roster. This is to be more fair in comparing larger rosters to smaller ones.
I was also talkng about percentages. 3 of those games have a roster that's 100% the same gender. That's as unbalanced as it can get. How is that more inclusive than SSBU?

Last edited:

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
And actually Smash is even more balanced because:

Which means that their percentage cannot be used as a measure for balance because charcters who are both male and female would be implicitly counted as male.
Defaults matter. They’re the ones with the most marketing, they’re the ones most recognize instantly, & (unless you get lucky like Female Corrin did) they’re the ones that get an Amiibo. For reference, I also don’t count Premier Skins for Injustice 2 towards representation regarding black/brown characters.

I was also talkng about percentages. 3 of those games have a roster that's 100% the same gender. That's as unbalanced as it can get. How is that more inclusive than SSBU?
The percentage math is clear, (# of Women / # of Characters Total) * 100. I don’t see the problem.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, 'cause men tend to be such an underrepresented demographic in video games. Truly a shame. Why does not a single developer ever think of the poor gamer boys anymore?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, 'cause men tend to be such an underrepresented demographic in video games. Truly a shame. Why does not a single developer ever think of the poor gamer boys anymore?
Many boys seem to prefer female characters, actually. I myself prefer the genderless R.O.B..

KatKit

Smash Lord
Apparently Them's Fightin' Herds, Arcana Heart 3: LOVEMAX SIX STARS!!!!!!, SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy and Skullgirls: 2nd Encore are all also less balanced than Smash. In fact, the first 3 of those are tied for having the worst balanced roster of all fighting games.
Ah, but Eko, Mikey, Kira's Blob, and various Arcana are all male. And Terry and Skullomania are actually guys, too! Yes, that was a jab at the "Kazooie is a girl" crowd.

But in all seriousness, three of those games are intentionally subversions of the genre (and they avoid over sexualizing the characters).

A fighter celebrating gaming as a whole like Smash has no excuse. It's not the worst, but it can be better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm glad that more people are starting to become aware of the problem with the lack of diversity on the roster, as it's something that's begun to bother me as time went on. As it stands right now, Smash Ultimate isn't doing so hot in terms of its female fighter percentage (the ratio of characters who are primarily women by default compared to the rest of the roster), with said percentage sitting at 18.519%. For reference, this is worse than almost any other fighting game, with the only two that Smash Ultimate is better than in this regard being Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite & Dragon Ball FighterZ. If you want more information, here's the thread in case you're curious.

Analyzing the percentage of female fighters in the rosters of the current batch of fighting games

My hope at this point is that Sakurai & Nintendo become aware of the problem and try to rectify it going forward. Street Fighter V keeps its balance of ladies in check by having at least two women for every season of DLC. Perhaps Smash Ultimate could try something similar to improve the situation. Either way, the fact that everyone we've gotten in the Fighters Pass thus far is primarily male (yes, there's Kazooie, but she's the secondary part of a duo & to consider her sufficient female representation is honestly disingenuous, regardless of how awesome she is as a character) isn't exactly the best look.
I read the entire thing and I was quite surprised that out of all my uber-favorite fighting games, only BBTAG is the one I relate to. I'm kinda happy for Central Fiction's roster. That my friends, is what you call gender equality.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think it’s OK to have a couple female focused games when the vast majority of the other games have large majority male rosters, as you can clearly see in the graph. It really says something when a roster with mostly women is seen as a marketing gimmick but a roster with all or mostly males is seen as “normal”.

D

Deleted member

I think it’s OK to have a couple female focused games when the vast majority of the other games have large majority male rosters, as you can clearly see in the graph. It really says something when a roster with mostly women is seen as a marketing gimmick but a roster with all or mostly males is seen as “normal”.
Yeah, I mean, why can't women get through stuff without getting a bit of controversy?

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
I read the entire thing and I was quite surprised that out of all my uber-favorite fighting games, only BBTAG is the one I relate to. I'm kinda happy for Central Fiction's roster. That my friends, is what you call gender equality.
Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Anyway, I was a bit surprised to see a thread on the subject here. I knew the problem gained traction on Twitter, but I didn't think people would be talking about it on here. Hopefully we can raise enough awareness to where the problem is addressed going forward.

A fighter celebrating gaming as a whole like Smash has no excuse. It's not the worst, but it can be better.
It's not the worst when it comes to its women-to-roster ratio, but it's unfortunately close to it. And for a game as big as Smash Ultimate, it's disappointing to see. I get that the industry is slow on the uptake when it comes to diversity, but options exist.

D

Deleted member

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Anyway, I was a bit surprised to see a thread on the subject here. I knew the problem gained traction on Twitter, but I didn't think people would be talking about it on here. Hopefully we can raise enough awareness to where the problem is addressed going forward
I was the one who technically started the thread, so...

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
I was the one who technically started the thread, so...
And I thank you for bringing SmashBoard’s attention to the problem. It’s unfortunate that it’s gotten to this point, but hopefully they’ll realize the problem & bring more characters who are primarily women to the roster.

D

Deleted member

And I thank you for bringing SmashBoard’s attention to the problem. It’s unfortunate that it’s gotten to this point, but hopefully they’ll realize the problem & bring more characters who are primarily women to the roster.
The same could be said.

Btw me and the fam back at the Newcomer Discussion were doing discussion on Morrigan (who's my most wanted newcomer).

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
I’m not disappointed with the Fighters Pass. I love 3/4 of the inclusions and respect Terry, and I don’t mind that the first four are dudes.

But it really annoys me when some people act like Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Akira Howard, Byleth, Amaterasu, or Chun Li wouldn’t be as worthy or iconic or hype as some male character (that would also be dope) like Doomguy. So even if 4 1/2 of the fighters pass are dudes there’s plenty of options to include female characters that wouldn’t just be for the sake of inclusion.
But wouldn’t Officer Howard & Byleth be male by default?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom