• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

#UltimateDLCSoMale: The Female DLC Character Discussion

Should we have at least one female newcomer in the DLC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

For the record people, this dude 1FC0 1FC0 1FC0 1FC0 argued that Goku could get in Smash because Sakurai went back on certain things lmao.

I'm curious. Did he read the article saying that Sakurai will only include gaming content? Just because Sakurai took back his word with Ridley does not mean anime characters could get in Smash. His opinion can, and should not be tolerated.

This is one of the reasons I thank myself for being born with a resting ***** face.

for the record this is one of the reasons I dislike Alpharad. Just mentioning.

Dude. The thread exists for a reason, some people want a female character in the pass and they want to discuss about it, simple as that. There's no good justification to come in here and relentlessly try to invalidate people wants with fallacious questions like this, it's borderline trolling at this point. You want to discuss the validity of the concept of diversity in video games ? Fine, why don't you just create a thread about it in the Debate Hall ?
To be honest they're just attacking this forum because what they believe is that the Smash DLC is 100% catered to what they believe. Sakurai isn;t a magic genie in a bottle who grants wishes in 1 frame.

They just misunderstood the entire thing and took it to themselves as "Fighters Pass is catered to us dudes, get lost little girls,". I don;t even know if they genuinely want one, when they just attack others' opinions for the sake of their amusement.

Last edited by a moderator:

amageish

Smash Master
So, GameXplain's Jon Cartwright asked about favourite female characters with Smash potential on Twitter.

The replies were pretty wide-ranging! Arle from Puyo Puyo, Amaterasu from Okami, and Shantae from Shantae were the ones Jon responded to directly, but there were far more responses then that... Lots of Zelda girls especially, between Impa, Lana from Warriors, and various BotW characters. Pyra/Mythra, Elma, and even Lora all came in repping Xenoblade, in addition to KOS-MOS repping Xenogears. Edelgard and Lyndis were both unsurprisingly popular for Fire Emblem. Min-Min and Akira from ARMS and Astral Chain respectively were popular as far as modern Nintendo goes. 2B, Agnes, Lara Croft, and a variety of FF party members regularly cropped up Square Enix picks. Jill Valentine, alongside other RE ladies, and Morrigan seemed to be the top Capcom picks... Cadence, Madeline, and especially Reimu seemed big among indie reps. Saber, Kasumi, and a few random Persona party members also seemed relatively common. Tracer got a lot of "I would have said that last week" due to recent Blizzard controversies. I also saw a surprising amount of support behind Kat from Gravity Rush, given how she is a Sony property. Otherwise, I honestly don't recognize some of these characters, which goes to show the breadth of options...

D

Deleted member

So, GameXplain's Jon Cartwright asked about favourite female characters with Smash potential on Twitter.

The replies were pretty wide-ranging! Arle from Puyo Puyo, Amaterasu from Okami, and Shantae from Shantae were the ones Jon responded to directly, but there were far more responses then that... Lots of Zelda girls especially, between Impa, Lana from Warriors, and various BotW characters. Pyra/Mythra, Elma, and even Lora all came in repping Xenoblade, in addition to KOS-MOS repping Xenogears. Edelgard and Lyndis were both unsurprisingly popular for Fire Emblem. Min-Min and Akira from ARMS and Astral Chain respectively were popular as far as modern Nintendo goes. 2B, Agnes, Lara Croft, and a variety of FF party members regularly cropped up Square Enix picks. Jill Valentine, alongside other RE ladies, and Morrigan seemed to be the top Capcom picks... Cadence, Madeline, and especially Reimu seemed big among indie reps. Saber, Kasumi, and a few random Persona party members also seemed relatively common. Tracer got a lot of "I would have said that last week" due to recent Blizzard controversies. I also saw a surprising amount of support behind Kat from Gravity Rush, given how she is a Sony property. Otherwise, I honestly don't recognize some of these characters, which goes to show the breadth of options...
Literally everyone we've discussed in this thread made it huh, I guess all is still good with the world.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Heres a thought, and brace yourself cause this is gonna BLOW your mind! But did you know that liking a game for its game design and liking the characters that are part of said game isnt mutually exclusive?

You whine as if the female choices for Smash are so bad that people have to use their gender as an excuse.

Quit wasting everyones time with your projected whining. What makes you think crying about what other people do with their lives isn't pathetic?
I'll not waste time responding to that because you're even saying something that deserves a respond from me.

See I actually think you're close to getting the point we're making. Its apparent that you don't hold mainstream media in that high a regard. But for better or worse thats what most people experience, and its a waste land when it comes to female fronted projects. Some of my favourite films of the year like Booksmart, Hustlers, The Farewell, The Souvenir and High Life all have female directors, but at the moment cinematic discourse is focused on a bad Scorcesse knock off about a white guy villain. People want to see romcoms about gay relationships and they want to see women lead action movies, but sadly most of the time those things don't get made or put in front of an audience that would appreciate them. The mainstream is important for precisely that reason, we shouldn't be relegating our female directors and characters to independent projects. Hell i love that Marvel are about to have a run of movies with a load of female talent behind the camera

Gonna disagree on the superhero point, but i'd also say Black Panther was a better movie than half the other best picture nominees this year (including the winner), but I can also acknowledge they're rote and cookie cutter and follow a formula, although I do think Black Panther does some fascinating stuff with those confines. Pop art is important, even if maybe not as intellectually stimulating as art house. They both serve important parts of a pop culture diet.

And i'd love to talk BITWC more, but all i can offer is that when I watched it with queer female friends they couldn't stop laughing at how unrealistic and OTT it was (if certainly erotic).

But on topic, I like most of those picks, Jade's probably my favourite, but I adored BG&E back in the day.
I definitely agree on the first point, kinda disagree on the second but you already knew that.

Haha I guess the experience can be pretty different depending on the person you're watching the movie with

I liked BG&E, the voice acting was actually pretty good and I like the art direction even though some designs were a bit weird sometimes (but at the same time, it gives charm to the game). The universe is good and I definitely can't wait for the next game that will probably explain a ton of things. I don't know how much Ubisoft's communication is honest when it comes to it, but the whole "you're in a temple, picking up stuff, you escape to the police in a city and in a matter of seconds you're in space on your mothership" is promising, I just hope that the cities will be full of life. But they have to release the damn game first.

And since we're talking about BG&E, I'm pretty sure that the two new characters (the chick and her monkey friend) will probably propose much more options than Jade from a gameplay perspective. Unless they show us what Jade's is truly capable of. It's gonna be an interesting game anyway and I'm convinced that people will speak about BG&E in their Smash speculations.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

There was a problem fetching the tweet
The "we need more villain" just for the sake of having more of them was always lame. Especially since many are not interesting (Andross for example, definitely less interesting than a dude like Pigma) or couldn't work as characters (Andross again or Giygas).

Last edited:
His opinion can, and should not be tolerated.
Tbh, wanting/predicting Goku in Smash is pretty harmless compare to some other things. The worst that can happen is that they will be disappointed/wrong.

My mindset on this is pretty much: support who you want, dream all you want, as long as you respect others and their own dreams/hopes, we're good. It's the main reason why i'm getting so pissed off by some comments here.

To be honest they're just attacking this forum because what they believe is that the Smash DLC is 100% catered to what they believe. Sakurai isn;t a magic genie in a bottle who grants wishes in 1 frame.

They just misunderstood the entire thing and took it to themselves as "Fighters Pass is catered to us dudes, get lost little girls,". I don;t even know if they genuinely want one, when they just attack others' opinions for the sake of their amusement.
I'm not sure ''they'' have all the same motivations and such. Also not sure about over-generalizing people based on some similar thing they said. I mean, sometimes, very different people can have the exact same reaction about something.

An example (based on a true story), many people come into the thread saying the exact same thing ''female characters should be added into Smash based on their own merits, not their gender'' and some of them will actually be open to discussion (open to learn, understand and maybe change their mindset) while others (who, again, said the exact same thing) won't be open to discussion at all but are only here to look for confrontation (for whatever reason idc). So basically, i think it's wise to not 'judge a book by its cover' even if it's easier to do so.

Idk, it's just my opinion so as always, take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*sigh*

From now on, might as well just focus on the Smash side of things rather than the other stuff. It's why I came here eh.

My mindset on this is pretty much: support who you want, dream all you want, as long as you respect others and their own dreams/hopes, we're good. It's the main reason why i'm getting so pissed off by some comments here.
Thank you for that. Though, I feel like every day is just a losing battle for this. It seems my advance thinking is probably catching up on me. This situation seems hopeless.

Eh, congrats on getting Haya. Calling it now, you guys are gonna get your wish. I'm just here sulking at why gaming history is this horrible to women. You guys are winning, and I'm fighting a losing battle.

My dreams have been crushed since day 1 of the fighters Pass.

An example (based on a true story), many people come into the thread saying the exact same thing ''female characters should be added into Smash based on their own merits, not their gender'' and some of them will actually be open to discussion (open to learn, understand and maybe change their mindset) while others (who, again, said the exact same thing) won't be open to discussion at all but are only here to look for confrontation (for whatever reason idc). So basically, i think it's wise to not 'judge a book by its cover' even if it's easier to do so.
Of course. They're added due to their merits. Lara's a great character but I doubt that she'll make it.

Though, I feel like every day is just a losing battle for this. It seems my advance thinking is probably catching up on me. This situation seems hopeless.
A thread on Smashboards is what it is. You certainly have a limited reach here, don't get me wrong tho, this serves as a great showcase for potential female characters in Smash but ultimately it's not up to us to decide which character will make it in the roster. Personally, I think you're putting too much weight on your shoulders, you're doing your best here, you can also do your best elsewhere, everywhere. You can't expect to single-handedly take care of an issue as big as gender diversity with a single thread on Smashboards.

Of course. They're added due to their merits. Lara's a great character but I doubt that she'll make it.
Actually, i was just using the phrase as an example to illustrate my point.

Eh, congrats on getting Haya. Calling it now, you guys are gonna get your wish. I'm just here sulking at why gaming history is this horrible to women. You guys are winning, and I'm fighting a losing battle.
I'll be honest, I don't really appreciate being randomly thrown in a 'you guys' category. I mean i'm not a profile picture, i'm an actual individual after all. Sure i'd be happy if Hayabusa would make it in Smash but it doesn't mean that i can't support the inclusion of other characters.

We're not on opposing sides here, at least not in my mind. I would be really happy for you or anyone if you got one of your most wanted character in Smash (or at least one female in the pass like you want).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A thread on Smashboards is what it is. You certainly have a limited reach here, don't get me wrong tho, this serves as a great showcase for potential female characters in Smash but ultimately it's not up to us to decide which character will make it in the roster. Personally, I think you're putting too much weight on your shoulders, you're doing your best here, you can also do your best elsewhere, everywhere. You can't expect to single-handedly take care of an issue as big as gender diversity with a single thread on Smashboards.
I'm used to it. I've been here before. I'm used to putting too much big deals on top of big deals.

I'm not at my best right now. I feel like the entirety of fate is against me. Destiny doesn't want me to be happy. What's the point of me setting up this thread if I'm just going to be disappointed in the end? **** speculation to hell. It's adding to my problems.

I'll be honest, I don't really appreciate being randomly thrown in a 'you guys' category. I mean i'm not a profile picture, i'm an actual individual after all. Sure i'd be happy if Hayabusa would make it in Smash but it doesn't mean that i can't support the inclusion of other characters.

We're not on opposing sides here, at least not in my mind. I would be really happy for you or anyone if you got one of your most wanted character in Smash (or at least one female in the pass like you want).
Eh, my most wante dis going to bring the salt of the entire community. Trust me, I know how it feels. Everyone will be out for my blood.

Just one is soooo ****ing bull**** easy. It's easier than sticking my diary up my damn ass. Sorry for the swearing but I'm just feeling sour.

1FC0

Smash Lord
For the record people, this dude 1FC0 1FC0 1FC0 1FC0 argued that Goku could get in Smash because Sakurai went back on certain things lmao.
For the record, it was about non-game characters in general and I ended up admitting that that argument was wrong and thus I now disagree with it.

Anyway, what is your point with this? Why are you trying to misrepresent me with a half-truth that also happens to be completely offtopic? Is it really that hard to find ammo against me that you have to resort to offtopic misleading half-truths?

Also
I don't think IFCO ever said he didn't want more females in the roster. He just said whoever they are, they should be a good pick (male or female)
Is completely right. I even said I think Tomb Raider is sorely missing on the roster. How do I want no females in DLC yet at the same time think that Tomb Raider should be on the roster? Try figuring that out and then come back implying that this quote is wrong.

Though admittedly, I think a lot of male characters like Rayman are also sorely missing so I do not think there should be a female. But I definitely do not think there should not be a female. I just think it should be someone important, and there are females to choose from that fit that criteria.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You're already wasting the gift of life crying about this lmao.
Bruh that was kinda savage. I don't want this to go overboard more than it has to.
For the record, it was about non-game characters in general and I ended up admitting that that argument was wrong and thus I now disagree with it.
Put back his head!
Sure about that?

D

Deleted member

Anyway, what is your point with this? Why are you trying to misrepresent me with a half-truth that also happens to be completely offtopic? Is it really that hard to find ammo against me that you have to resort to offtopic misleading half-truths?
To let people know what they're getting into arguing with you lol.

The fact that you even made that take in the first place is enough to call you out for it. There are some takes no one would make on their worst days.

Saying Sakurai will include non-video game characters because he went back on certain things is the equivalent of unironically arguing the 2+2 isnt 4 lmao.

And the fact that you continue to make such brilliant takes like this

Samus is clearly driven by manly ideals. In fact the whole point of making her a woman was that she's so manly that her being female would surprise the player. So does Samus not count because she's driven by male ideals in her story?
Makes it all the more deserving that I brought that up lmao.

D

Deleted member

Saying Sakurai will include non-video game characters because he went back on certain things is the equivalent of unironically arguing the 2+2 isnt 4 lmao.
Sakurai pledged that he'll only include gaming content. Period. If anyone says otherwise then I'm gonne cut more heads than the ones cut during the entirety of the French Revolution.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Sure about that?
In fact, after I admitted that I was wrong people came in who had missed it, so I repeated multiple times that I was wrong. I think I ended up admitting to my fault there like 3 times or so. So I definitely am not standing behind that argument anymore. And now I just had to repeat it again.

Just because Sakurai took back his word with Ridley does not mean anime characters could get in Smash
To be fair it's not just Ridley though, many —maybe even most— of Sakurai's disconfirmations proved wrong. However I'll say it again: characters from non-gaming franchises are a dfferent case because they're deconfirmed for a different reason.

Another thing, it's not about the content or character itself but about their franchise. Ash is referenced in Smash despite him being anime exclusive. Ho-Oh and Shadow Ball are featured despite originating from the anime. And Pikachu's B move is TCG exclusive. The content itself does not have to originate or even feature in games, it's all about the franchise of the content having to originate in gaming.

That still means that Goku is out though, since Dragonball started as a manga.

Having said that, I still want Goku in and I'm not afraid to say it. I do not care about celebrating gaming franchises, I just want a cross over with my favourite characters.

To let people know what they're getting into arguing with you lol.
Yes, it shows that I'm willing to admit my mistakes when I'm proven wrong.

And you're now showing that you prefer attacking a person over attacking his arguments, even if by doing so you need to misrepresent someone using offtopic half-truths.

And the fact that you continue to make such brilliant takes like this

Makes it all the more deserving that I brought that up lmao.
You're not making any actual arguments, so obviously you're not here for discussion. All you're doing is mocking me. What could someone who just throws out insults like you do want to achieve? A flamewar? Making someone with a different opinion feel bad for it?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You're not making any actual arguments, so obviously you're not here for discussion. All you're doing is mocking me. What could someone who just throws out insults like you do want to achieve? A flamewar? Making someone with a different opinion feel bad for it?
That would imply as if your arguments makes sense. No, Im not "mocking" you, im describing you. How is saving the world from evil exclusive to men?

Using google really shouldnt be that difficult, bub.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid

"Hey, wouldn't that be kind of cool if it turned out that this person inside the suit was a woman?", and the idea was accepted.[2][51] Ridley Scott's 1979 science-fiction horror film Alien was described by Sakamoto as a "huge influence" after the world of the first Metroid had been created. The development staff was affected by the work of the film's creature designer H. R. Giger, and found his creations to be fitting for the Metroid universe.[52] In recognition of this, a character was given the name Ridley, after director Scott.

And look what you're saying now:

However I'll say it again: characters from non-gaming franchises are a dfferent case because they're deconfirmed for a different reason.
If you are supposedly aware of that fact then why did you need to say this beforehand?

To be fair it's not just Ridley though, many —maybe even most— of Sakurai's disconfirmations proved wrong.
Having said that, I still want Goku in and I'm not afraid to say it. I do not care about celebrating gaming franchises, I just want a cross over with my favourite characters.
Ladies and Gentlemen, I rest my case.

Also if you want a crossover featuring that overhyped, bland protagonist then go play Jump Force. Or better yet ask them to make an actual good Smash clone like Jump Ultimate Stars lmao.

D

Deleted member

That would imply as if your arguments makes sense. No, Im not "mocking" you, im describing you. How is saving the world from evil exclusive to men?

"Hey, wouldn't that be kind of cool if it turned out that this person inside the suit was a woman?", and the idea was accepted.[2][51] Ridley Scott's 1979 science-fiction horror film Alien was described by Sakamoto as a "huge influence" after the world of the first Metroid had been created. The development staff was affected by the work of the film's creature designer H. R. Giger, and found his creations to be fitting for the Metroid universe.[52] In recognition of this, a character was given the name Ridley, after director Scott.

And look what your saying now:

If you are supposedly aware of that fact then why did you need to say this beforehand?

Also if you want a crossover featuring that overhyped, bland protagonist then go play Jump Force. Or better yet ask them to make an actual good Smash clone like Jump Ultimate Stars lmao.
I've heard enough.

Now wait till I get my Red Queen outfit from Halloween...

1FC0

Smash Lord
No, Im not "mocking" you, im describing you.
What kind of description is "lmao"? Laughing at someone is just mocking them.

Besides, you made people think that I think Goku is going to be included, which is objectively false. So instead of making people understand me you're making them confused about me. I actually had to correct a misunderstanding about me which was based on your "descriptions".

I never said it was. But Samus is a soldier in the field. Which gender is most often used as soldier in the field? On top of that her suit is depicted with large shoulders giving it a masculine appearance.

I used DuckDuckGo and based what I said about Samus' reason for being female on this quote:
When we were almost done with the development of Metroid, one of our staffers casually suggested, ‘Why don't we make Samus Aran a female character to surprise the player?' Back then I thought it was a nice idea, but I couldn't foresee what a huge impact this would have on the future of the franchise.
https://kotaku.com/how-did-metroids-samus-aran-become-a-female-character-5634616

So they apparently did it to surprise the player. Why would it have been a surprise? Because Samus was a soldier in the field and that's typically done by men, both in video games at the time and real life.

Because you made people think that I disagreed with this. So I am repeating it in order to avoid being misrepresented by you again. And I am right in doing so, because after I had repeated this about 3 times you still made people think that I disagree with this. In fact, you're misrepresenting me on this again in the very post that I'm replying to now.

What case? That I want Goku in? I never denied that. However I've never seen you make that case. Those 2 quotes that you group together have nothing to do with each other. Are you trying to misrepresent me again?

I'll say it again, I think that Goku will NOT get in Smash and I think that every deconfirmed character that got in is not a precedent for Goku getting in because they were all deconfirmed for different reasons than Goku is.

I want Goku in, but I think that he is not getting in because he's been deconfirmed.

That's what I think. So what was your case?

D

Deleted member

You know what 1FC0 1FC0 , if you're just gonna stay here in this female DLC discussion thread talking about stuff like that, I highly recommend you do it somewhere else that is not here. This is going too out of hand, and I don't want to sound harsh.

You've already proven you're point, now go somewhere where you won't be berated over and over again.

____

Assuming that's taken care of, I hope everyone who would wish to read this thread may offer your concrete views on the subject at hand.

D

Deleted member

I never said it was.
Yes you did lmao

Samus is clearly driven by manly ideals

But Samus is a soldier in the field. Which gender is most often used as soldier in the field? On top of that her suit is depicted with large shoulders giving it a masculine appearance
Because Samus was a soldier in the field and that's typically done by men, both in video games at the time and real life.
Doesnt change the fact that its not exclusive to men so youre not proving your point with that. That only proves that it was a different time back then when people had the moronic mindset. Keyword being moronic.

But im done messing around with you, tell me another joke and i'll be sure to ignore it like the rest of you people losing sleep over other people wanting female characters in Smash lmao.

D

Deleted member

Finally, why thank you @Blue__Falcon.

In short, this isn't the 80's anymore. The discussion has gone off topic for some time, and as its moderator, I have every right to make sure that the discussion stays on course.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
IMHO I wished Hero got their alt as a gender swap I mean it's in their game as well. On newcomers I would have liked to see Tifa, Gum, Arle and Roll. There isn't many Female characters in video games that really stood out to me. But that could change.

D

Deleted member

IMHO I wished Hero got their alt as a gender swap I mean it's in their game as well. On newcomers I would have liked to see Tifa, Gum, Arle and Roll. There isn't many Female characters in video games that really stood out to me. But that could change.
I think the development timing is the reason we never got the female alts. Add this to the salt I have with Hero (other than the RNG that is).

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I think the development timing is the reason we never got the female alts. Add this to the salt I have with Hero (other than the RNG that is).
For me personally I would have liked to see Hero4's female alt. It looked cool on the box art I mean just look at that beautiful hair.
download.jpeg

1FC0

Smash Lord
Doesnt change the fact that its not exclusive to men so youre not proving your point with that. That only proves that it was a different time back then when people had the moronic mindset. Keyword being moronic.
In large wars it's often the men who go to war while the women often stay home, even if the women believe the war is being fought for a good cause (just look at WWI's and WWII's "white feather ladies")

Samus apparently feels it's her duty to fight out on the field, and people who have that feeling in RL are mostly men. There are many male soldiers who felt that they just did their duty by fighting on the field. I am sure that there are female soldiers like that too, but if you look around then you'll notice it's almost exclusively men. This has not changed, It's still mostly men who fight out on the field.

Hence it seems that Samus acts on a sense of duty that's mostly displayed by men. I'm not saying only by men, just mostly by men.

I never said anything about saving the world, since that does not apply. I'm drawing comparisons to how men and women act in real life, and in real life no one ever saves the world. The closest we have is fighting out on the field as a soldier for a military like Samus does and that's mostly done by men.

But im done messing around with you, tell me another joke and i'll be sure to ignore it like the rest of you people losing sleep over other people wanting female characters in Smash lmao.
You are misrepresenting me again. I am not at all arguing against female characters or people who want them in. You keep trying to oversimplify my stance on things.

You are oversimplifying my opinion on female DLC, for example. You try to put me in a box of "for female DLC" or "against female DLC". But the reality is that I belong in both boxes: I think there is a trade-off involved here. On the one hand, having a female DLC would please many fans and it would allow the opportunity to bring in a female that's sorely lacking in the roster. On the other hand, there are still a lot of male characters that are also sorely lacking on the roster and it's a disadvantage if those fans have to miss out on their character just because it has to compete with all the other many male icons out there.

Same with Goku: you tried to put me in the box of "for Goku" or "against Goku", but I belong in both. I'd prefer to have him in, but that does not mean that I do not recognise that Smash would lose some of what it's about if they did that. I also do not think that he is going to get in, despite wanting him in. I do not even know if Goku should be in. I think it may be a mistake to bring him since once he's in Smash is going to change identity. A change that many would like, but many others would hate. It's a trade-off. I think that Sakurai may be better off playing it safe and keeping Goku out, though I'd prefer it if he'd take the risk.

Some people have nuanced opinions that just cannot be simplified to either extreme. I'm one of those people. Trying to put me on one of the extreme sides of the discussion will result in misrepresenting me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For me personally I would have liked to see Hero4's female alt. It looked cool on the box art I mean just look at that beautiful hair.
View attachment 241800
You are soooo goddamn right she is hot.

In large wars it's often the men who go to war while the women often stay home, even if the women believe the war is being fought for a good cause (just look at WWI's and WWII's "white feather ladies")

Samus apparently feels it's her duty to fight out on the field, and people who have that feeling in RL are mostly men. There are many male soldiers who felt that they just did their duty by fighting on the field. I am sure that there are female soldiers like that too, but if you look around then you'll notice it's almost exclusively men. This has not changed, It's still mostly men who fight out on the field.

Hence it seems that Samus acts on a sense of duty that's mostly displayed by men. I'm not saying only by men, just mostly by men.

I never said anything about saving the world, since that does not apply. I'm drawing comparisons to how men and women act in real life, and in real life no one ever saves the world. The closest we have is fighting out on the field as a soldier for a military like Samus does and that's mostly done by men.

You are misrepresenting me again. I am not at all arguing against female characters or people who want them in. You keep trying to oversimplify my stance on things.

You are oversimplifying my opinion on female DLC, for example. You try to put me in a box of "for female DLC" or "against female DLC". But the reality is that I belong in both boxes: I think there is a trade-off involved here. On the one hand, having a female DLC would please many fans and it would allow the opportunity to bring in a female that's sorely lacking in the roster. On the other hand, there are still a lot of male characters that are also sorely lacking on the roster and it's a disadvantage if those fans have to miss out on their character just because it has to compete with all the other many male icons out there.

Same with Goku: you tried to put me in the box of "for Goku" or "against Goku", but I belong in both. I'd prefer to have him in, but that does not mean that I do not recognise that Smash would lose some of what it's about if they did that. I also do not think that he is going to get in, despite wanting him in. I do not even know if Goku should be in. I think it may be a mistake to bring him since once he's in Smash is going to change identity. A change that many would like, but many others would hate. It's a trade-off. I think that Sakurai may be better off playing it safe and keeping Goku out, though I'd prefer it if he'd take the risk.

Some people have nuanced opinions that just cannot be simplified to either extreme. I'm one of those people. Trying to put me on one of the extreme sides of the discussion will result in misrepresenting me.
Look, if you want to stay here, we should kesp the discussion limited to Smash and less about politics. I'm not saying yours are a fluke, they are valid points. Just keep the Goku stuff away from this forum and discuss that somewhere else. This is a forum dedicated for female characters, not women studies. I might as well take that up in college.

D

Deleted member

Listen to this Old School banger bro.

D

Deleted member

Listen to this Old School banger bro.

That's good and all. Seriously, both you and 1FC0 1FC0 's banter looks and sounds better than the cheesy FlipTop battles back at my home country. Never was a fan of hip hop or Filipino music, but with that out of the way...

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys. We all have differing opinions, I don't know why they haven't yet, but this could get locked by a mod like so many other topics that became heated. You know, like the unpopular opinion thread. It was literally called unpopular, but people were still attacking others about it.

And maybe I missed some posts, but you're getting pretty hostile Blue-Falcon. We can have discussions without the use of insults. No one is losing sleep over people wanting females in Smash. At least most I've seen posting here have agreed to the same thing. And I feel like a broke record by saying it. That whomever it is should be a good representation. Doesn't matter if they're a dude, gal, or Cthulhu.

Speaking of freaky beings, another nice inclusion would be Enternal Darkness, but it's probably a series that is long forgotten. It was for the GC and was a pretty damn scary game. At least for me as a kid. It had all these jump scares. And there was something like a fear meter and the higher it got the more the supernatural was able to distort Alex's mind to the point that you entered rooms upside down, your body started to fall apart bloodily, the game would fake restart or say it's deleting your memory card.

She found out more about these beings that pretty much orchestrated most of Earth's history behind the scenes, by reading clues hidden in her grandfather's mansion and then you'd take over whoever it was in that point of history. Like WW1 only happened because the demons need more sacrifices. So they started the war.

The only problem with her inclusion is she'd kind of have generic clothes, but they could fix that somehow.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I think that this topic is still pretty civilised considering what it's about.

Anyway here's another nice idea: They could include Custom Robo's. The default would probably be a starter robot like Ray MK II or III, but there are plenty of "female" robots to choose from for alts, like the Aerial Beauties. I guess they'd technically be genderless, but it's pretty close.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Roll would be a nice female robot. People keep throwing out Proto Man and Bass as additional Megaman Reps, but they're already in his final Smash, and they were specifically added to his final Smash in Ultimate, unlike Chrom who simply wasn't removed from Robin's to save effort.

Roll has also been the 2nd Megaman Rep in plenty of other crossovers, and has been his clone before just like Ken.
My ideal Capcom roster for Megaman and Street Fighter would have all the characters in this pic that are from those series.

tumblr_ov0eruTlYJ1v9xmo2o2_500.jpg

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I only know Roll from the Megaman Adventure series (where I think she was a human and not a robot like she is in the other games) I think she's a robot in the other games? Which version of Roll do you think they would use or do you prefer they'd use?

D

Deleted member

I only know Roll from the Megaman Adventure series (where I think she was a human and not a robot like she is in the other games) I think she's a robot in the other games? Which version of Roll do you think they would use or do you prefer they'd use?
Anything but the MvC2 version. Excuse my Tier ***** tendencies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Traditionally, they use the classic version of her in fighting games like Marvel Vs. Capcom and Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom. If she was an echo her classic version would be most similar in frame to the Megaman we currently have.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Traditionally, they use the classic version of her in fighting games like Marvel Vs. Capcom and Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom. If she was an echo her classic version would be most similar in frame to the Megaman we currently have.
In other words, an echo fighter of Mega Man. Now how do I see this work?

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
But Mega Man Adventures had her as a mechanic. So they could use that version. She's not a robot though.

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
I know we have our own different opinions on things but this supposed to be a thread about female characters so keep all of the Goku crap out of this. Besides if by some miracle that he gets in it will destroy the entire Smash series as a whole period. Bottom line is he`s never getting in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom