• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

#UltimateDLCSoMale: The Female DLC Character Discussion

Should we have at least one female newcomer in the DLC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klimax

Smash Ace
People should stop having that weird need to identify to the characters.
I don't feel closer to Chrom or Bowser than Lucina or Rosalina, they're just video game characters, chill.
If some studios released a game with only female in their cast, I wouldn't give a **** because that wouldn't even be a problem.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
As female characters, I would like to have:

Midna+Wolf Link - to increase the diversity of zelda characters and to add a different, quadrupede, character.

Amatseru - another quadrupede, as good as midna+wolf link to me.

Tracer or Dva - because they are great characters of a game that I really like.

Lara croft - because.. Why not.

Klimax

Smash Ace
If they ever add Lara Croft, they need to go for the old design (Angelina Jolie lookalike) because that's the OG Lara and because that's her coolest design, she had a cooler attitude. And that's the Lara that everyone loved and who got mainstream attention.

The new one is a just a basic annoying millennial, it's hard to not desire to just let her die. + no breast

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's more like a preference than a real need and people shouldn't have to constantly justify their preferences to make them valid.

I could elaborate but i would just be repeating myself at this point.

D

Deleted member

I've seen you guys been talking about Rex/Pyra/Mythra. Yes, I'd loooovvveee to see them in Smash. To be honest, I wouldn't join their support group if I never played Xenoblade 2, which I did. I got my copy of the game like...around August. Still stuck in Chapter...7 I think. By that time, I've already attached myself to the characters. So much that I completely sympathize myself with the ones who got disappointed due to the Mii Costume.

Yeah, they would rock if they played like Pokemon Trainer. In fact that's the same idea I had.

So yeah, Rex and Pyra/Mythra for Smash. Wooo!

PS, if anyone spoils me here I'm booting her/him off this thread.

I don't feel closer to Chrom or Bowser than Lucina or Rosalina, they're just video game characters, chill.
If some studios released a game with only female in their cast, I wouldn't give a **** because that wouldn't even be a problem.
Just when I said my stand on Rex/Pyra/Mythra. I don't know if you've been playing many games in your life, but what's the point of not relating to your character? I could go on, but relating withe your character doubles the fun when you main a character.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I played to nearly 2000 video games at this point.
I have a hard time relating to characters when their story is 90% of the time uninteresting (which is the case with most of video games and their at best mediocre writing)
Also when people say they want to relate to the characters, they most of the time talk about character who are similar to them (girls wanting female characters for example). It's just cringe, it's like these people crying if they can't decide what their generic main protagonist have between his legs

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I have a hard time relating to characters when their story is 90% of the time uninteresting (which is the case with most of video games and their at best mediocre writing)
Also when people say they want to relate to the characters, they most of the time talk about character who are similar to them (girls wanting female characters for example). It's just cringe, it's like these people crying if they can't decide what their generic main protagonist have between his legs
1) Why play 2000 video games if you think 90% of the time the characters and story are uninteresting?

2) If you're a straight cis man, it's not exactly hard to find games that have characters that you can relate to. Maybe stop telling people that their lived experiences are "cringe" and realise that different people have different emotional connections to their media and asking to see someone who looks like them on a screen helps create that connection? If you're going to spend money on something, you're perfectly allowed to want it to cater somewhat to you.

D

Deleted member

Wow. So you're saying that you play so many games but you're missing out. There's a ton of cinematic games with interesting characters and they can sometimes relate with people on a personal level. You claim that it is what most games are nowadays. Sadly, this is where I disagree. For your so-called 90%, you're not taking into consideration Sturgeon's Law. You're ignoring the least of the video games that have an interesting storyline, and there's proof that there's 10% worth dying for.

Just because we can relate with the character doesn't mean they are similar in terms of gender. For instance, I'm a woman yet I can relate with characters like Rex, Marth, amd many more. If you think girls mostly want female characters, tell that to the female demographic that wants Geno, Phoenix Wright, or Layton. Then come talk to me.

It's not cringe, it's a way to help people get interested in the games they love. But this doesn't mean we have the right to clamour for other male characters as well and not take into consideration the females. At the very best, we want to find a character who best synbolizes the female demographic. I'd like to quote you a quote from a presentation during a seminar of mine, which I will link here.
"People want to be able to see characters who are like them in the media they consume. They should."

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Eh...I don't know about Rex/Pyra. Maybe just Pyra/Mythra? But I am playing Xenoblade 2 right now and I don't like Rex's character. I never played Shulk's version so I don't really know his character or how he develops over the course of the game, but I couldn't feel Rex's character in the game. He was so lacking. It's probably partly due to the voice actor, cause his tone carries only one emotion to it.

I'd rather have Tora and Poppi as a team. With Tora being like the pokemon trainer and assisting during final smashes. Meh-meh-meh!

Actually that'd be pretty cool, come to think of it. She'd be one of the few robots besides R.O.B. He needs a friend after all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Eh...I don't know about Rex/Pyra. Maybe just Pyra/Mythra? But I am playing Xenoblade 2 right now and I don't like Rex's character. I never played Shulk's version so I don't really know his character or how he develops over the course of the game, but I couldn't feel Rex's character in the game. He was so lacking. It's probably partly due to the voice actor, cause his tone carries only one emotion to it.

I'd rather have Tora and Poppi as a team. With Tora being like the pokemon trainer and assisting during final smashes. Meh-meh-meh!

Actually that'd be pretty cool, come to think of it. She'd be one of the few robots besides R.O.B. He needs a friend after all.
Hmm...as much as I am an advocate, you do have a point. Either that, or that every single emotion he gives seems quite lacking to me. Yeah, he's quite monotnous but um...Pyra/Mythra are so sick that when Mythra first appeared I swore I'd always use her due to her tsundere qualities.

Using Tora? Good luck reaching the late game with him because you're mostly gonna use
Morag for the rest of the game. Then you have Zeke who feels much, much cleaner to use my opinion. I Or if you stuck with Tora, good luck upgrading Poppi. My strat is practically Overwatch's GOATS composition with Nia, Tora, and Morag as the setup.

This just in, we became the Rex/Pyra/Mythra thread!

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
While my list primarily has Male characters I do have a list of top 10 female characters I’d like to see playable:
1. Shantae
2. Agitha
3. Volleyball Player
4. Mach Rider
5. Asha
6. Reimu
7. Carmen Sandiego
8. Nakoruru
9. Ms. Splosion Man
10. Jill Valentine

Wait this is now another Xenoblade thread... I’ll be back. Gotta do some more gameplay first...

KatKit

Smash Lord
You're playing the wrong games.

Part of the reason you don't care is because more games feature male avatars designed to empower men: they generally aren't designed to appeal to women. It is easier for you to relate when most of your options are: a woman with stereotypical male ideals of beauty and sexual appeal, or a guy potentially designed with you in mind (if it isn't this one, try another dude from a different game - there's plenty). You aren't factoring in how the characters move, how they interact with other characters, etc. Things like this matter, even subconsciously. Men are rarely prizes/objectives/need rescuing in games. More often than not, you get to pick characters that walk like you, talk like you, dress like you, fight like you, throw/hold objects like you, are portrayed as relatable heroes/role models, and so on. There's less 'role playing' involved, and you can jump right in and enjoy the ride.

As for me? Well... hey, I like this Joker fellow in Persona 5. I'm a woman who wants to date a guy, hopefully the devs considered that this time. No? Again? Oh, well.

My little sister is rather shy, and I notice that she tends to pick male characters. It's probably because it allows her to feel less vulnerable and it doesn't bring unwanted attention when she plays online. It helps that guys (and women who act like those guys) are just so cool, according to every form of media. You don't worry about things like this. We're socialized differently. You can pick a woman, go online, maybe get an unwanted message or two, log out and live your life in peace. She can't do that.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Rex is way more charismatic and likeable in Japanese. The English dub for XC2 really blows, imo, and that's a shame because I prefer dub over sub for the first game.

D

Deleted member

Part of the reason you don't care is because more games feature male avatars designed to empower men: they generally aren't designed to appeal to women. It is easier for you to relate when most of your options are: a woman with stereotypical male ideals of beauty and sexual appeal, or a guy potentially designed with you in mind (if it isn't this one, try another dude from a different game - there's plenty). You aren't factoring in how the characters move, how they interact with other characters, etc. Things like this matter, even subconsciously. Men are rarely prizes/objectives/need rescuing in games. More often than not, you get to pick characters that walk like you, talk like you, dress like you, fight like you, throw/hold objects like you, are portrayed as relatable heroes/role models, and so on. There's less 'role playing' involved, and you can jump right in and enjoy the ride.

As for me? Well... hey, I like this Joker fellow in Persona 5. I'm a woman who wants to date a guy, hopefully the devs considered that this time. No? Again? Oh, well.

My little sister is rather shy, and I notice that she tends to pick male characters. It's probably because it allows her to feel less vulnerable and it doesn't bring unwanted attention when she plays online. It helps that guys (and women who act like those guys) are just so cool, according to every form of media. You don't worry about things like this. We're socialized differently. You can pick a woman, go online, maybe get an unwanted message or two, log out and live your life in peace. She can't do that.
Yeah...I'm curious. Are those 2000 games part of a bootleg 8-bit system, like those cheap 1001 in 1 stuff you find at the garage sales?

I'm guessing he reminds me of my dad. He merely watches action movies because he doesn't want stuff talking. He's just here for Godzilla; he only cares about the action rather than the talking. Now why would I bring it up? Because a character choice also factors in the identity of the player using him/her. Either that, or he's apathetic. It's normal, don't mind.

Rex is way more charismatic and likeable in Japanese. The English dub for XC2 really blows, imo, and that's a shame because I prefer dub over sub for the first game.
I'd same the same, considering I watch all my anime dubbed.

amageish

Smash Master
Generic Message: If you disagree with the concept of the thread. then feel free to not come here?

Like, can you imagine how absurd it would be if every third post of the SE thread pre-Hero reveal was "Guys, do you support a Square Enix character just because they're from Square Enix? I think characters should be decided based on video game history and not just because they're from Square Enix. I've played plenty of games and none of them were made by Square Enix, so why should I care about Square Enix?".

Obviously wanting a SE character is less "politically-charged" then wanting a female character, but still. You don't need to come into a character discussion to complain about the thread existing.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Generic Message: If you disagree with the concept of the thread. then feel free to not come here?

Like, can you imagine how absurd it would be if every third post of the SE thread pre-Hero reveal was "Guys, do you support a Square Enix character just because they're from Square Enix? I think characters should be decided based on video game history and not just because they're from Square Enix. I've played plenty of games and none of them were made by Square Enix, so why should I care about Square Enix?".

Obviously wanting a SE character is less "politically-charged" then wanting a female character, but still. You don't need to come into a character discussion to complain about the thread existing.
I wish I could have put my thoughts into words like this when I made my "it sucks the female Heroes aren't in Smash Ultimate" thread. We got quite a bit of that before it was locked.

Nquoid

Smash Ace

It comes to some people violently rejecting what they see as forced diversity. They don't want a character added solely because they're a woman. Which i don't think anyone is actually asking for. We're not asking for a character like a female cook from Overcooked with no male alts. We're asking for Lara Croft, an undeniable video game icon.

The fact that a talk about diversity (or lack thereof) can be labelled as political is dishearteng. But hey, if you're coming into this thread to stir ****, its pretty apparent you have an axe to grind rather than something substantial to add.

Klimax

Smash Ace
1) Why play 2000 video games if you think 90% of the time the characters and story are uninteresting?

2) If you're a straight cis man, it's not exactly hard to find games that have characters that you can relate to. Maybe stop telling people that their lived experiences are "cringe" and realise that different people have different emotional connections to their media and asking to see someone who looks like them on a screen helps create that connection? If you're going to spend money on something, you're perfectly allowed to want it to cater somewhat to you.
Because the art of video games is game design. The gameplay is the core of a video game, that's why I'm playing it. If I want a good story, I read a book or watch a movie. Looking for interesting stories in video games would be like searching cinema on Youtube.
I'm saying it's cringe because it's cringe. I don't need a character to look like me or having a **** to relate to him. Once again, if you can only relate to character who are similar to you, you have an actual problem, you have the right to think whatever you want but you have a problem.

Wow. So you're saying that you play so many games but you're missing out. There's a ton of cinematic games with interesting characters and they can sometimes relate with people on a personal level. You claim that it is what most games are nowadays. Sadly, this is where I disagree. For your so-called 90%, you're not taking into consideration Sturgeon's Law. You're ignoring the least of the video games that have an interesting storyline, and there's proof that there's 10% worth dying for.

Just because we can relate with the character doesn't mean they are similar in terms of gender. For instance, I'm a woman yet I can relate with characters like Rex, Marth, amd many more. If you think girls mostly want female characters, tell that to the female demographic that wants Geno, Phoenix Wright, or Layton. Then come talk to me.

It's not cringe, it's a way to help people get interested in the games they love. But this doesn't mean we have the right to clamour for other male characters as well and not take into consideration the females. At the very best, we want to find a character who best synbolizes the female demographic. I'd like to quote you a quote from a presentation during a seminar of mine, which I will link here.

Most of the time, these games with "great stories" are mediocre. Undertale for example, so many people are jacking off talking about how good the story is when in fact, it's just mediocre. The gameplay is actually really great (and that's why it's a good game) but the writing ? Give me a break. I don't know if the people claiming that already saw a good movie (and not some triple A ****) or read a good book.

You want a game that tells a good story (and in an interesting and intelligent way) ? Super Metroid. Not stuff like Uncharted 4 or God of War.

It's not because you don't do it that a lot of people don't do that. Remember when Black Panther came out ? A lot of people were like "oh finally a superhero for black people". Same thing with Wonder Woman, idiots were like "finally a character for girls", that is cringe. Black people already had all of the other characters, same goes for girls. They were just 2 more superheroes, nothing more. And people thinking it was more than that are just alienated. Jeez, I needed character who looked like me when I was a kid (and yes at that point of time when I liked a character, he always was a white cool jacked dude) but then, I turned 7 and I discovered that I could like character you didn't look like me (yeah I was really jacked when I was 7).

"You're playing the wrong games" first line and I considered stopping there because, come on, it doesn't mean anything, I know it, you know it, it's just not serious.

"Blabla women are just prizes/objectives blabla too many straight males in star roles blabla" I already hear that all the time with cinema and it's also fake, cut that bs already. Watch better movies and play better games, you'll see that straight males are not all over the place. Diversity is already there but if you're only watching Hollywood movies, yeah, I understand that you didn't realize it yet (and trust me, you don't want diversity in Hollywood anyway, what's the point of wanting the same **** but with vaginas instead of ***** ?). This is some slave morality I hear from people who don't even make the effort to get out of their comfort zone (not you in particular, but that's the case with most of the people).

"More often than not, you get to pick characters that walk like you, talk like you, dress like you, fight like you, throw/hold objects like you, are portrayed as relatable heroes/role models, and so on". Many people do that, yes, and it's just sad. Sometimes I'll play as a dude in a game, sometimes a girl, sometimes black, sometimes yellow, sometimes white because I don't give a single **** about that. One of my favorite movies is about a young girl discovering that she's a lesbian when she falls in love with an ugly blue haired older girl and at some moments I can relate to the two characters. Not because they're like me (I couldn't be more different actually) but because it's well made.

It's not that your sister can't do that, it's just that she doesn't do enough to change (or simply that she doesn't even realize that she can overcome her shyness). A lot of girls don't care about that kind of stupid messages (these messages come from pathetic slobs most of the time anyway). There's no reason for her to not be capable of doing the same, being shy is not a death sentence. So yeah, she can do that (just like anybody else). Once again, saying that "she can't do that" is slave morality and i cannot support that

Yeah...I'm curious. Are those 2000 games part of a bootleg 8-bit system, like those cheap 1001 in 1 stuff you find at the garage sales?

I'm guessing he reminds me of my dad. He merely watches action movies because he doesn't want stuff talking. He's just here for Godzilla; he only cares about the action rather than the talking. Now why would I bring it up? Because a character choice also factors in the identity of the player using him/her. Either that, or he's apathetic. It's normal, don't mind.
If you say that it's because you even have a hard time thinking that 2000 games is just a small fraction of all the games who deserve far more attention.

The second part, lol, can't even say something to that. I don't watch stuff like Godzilla but I also don't watch stuff where the talking is ****. Once again, it's not about what a movie does, it's about how he does it.

"Don't like, don't comment" how to have an interesting conversation, chapter 0.

It comes to some people violently rejecting what they see as forced diversity. They don't want a character added solely because they're a woman. Which i don't think anyone is actually asking for. We're not asking for a character like a female cook from Overcooked with no male alts. We're asking for Lara Croft, an undeniable video game icon.

The fact that a talk about diversity (or lack thereof) can be labelled as political is dishearteng. But hey, if you're coming into this thread to stir ****, its pretty apparent you have an axe to grind rather than something substantial to add.
I also asked for Lara Croft and I did many times.
And yes a talk about diversity is definitely political since there's already diversity (and there's no problem with that). I'm not saying "wanting diversity ? lol die of cancer you idiot", I'm saying that there's already a ton of diversity and that's why being obsessed about it is a nonsense.
Don't see attacks where there's none

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Because the art of video games is game design. The gameplay is the core of a video game, that's why I'm playing it. If I want a good story, I read a book or watch a movie. Looking for interesting stories in video games would be like searching cinema on Youtube.
I'm saying it's cringe because it's cringe. I don't need a character to look like me or having a **** to relate to him. Once again, if you can only relate to character who are similar to you, you have an actual problem, you have the right to think whatever you want but you have a problem.
Man what a tiny regressive view of art and media you have. Anything can have a good story. Some of the most emotionally effective stories I've experienced have come from games that have managed to blend their story and gameplay together in interesting ways. Do all games have a good story? Hell no, but a lot of people love games because the interaction between lore and gameplay is compelling.

And guess what? You can find cinema on Youtube! You can find it on TikTok and all kinds of places. Art is an ever growing and changing thing. And the fact that you think you have to read movies and books makes me think that your recommendations of them would bore me to tears (and I've probably read and seen a LOOOOOT more books and movies than you have).

And I don't have a problem. Because I'm a guy asking for more female characters in games! Because I pay attention and see that there are less of them! I can emotionally connect to female characters, but I also know that I'm spoiled for choice when it comes for a lot of my lived experiences, and if every movie, game and tv show prioritised the female experience, I'd be craving something that spoke to me. If you can't see that disconnect, then maybe you should be paying more attention to the media you apparently consume?

Let's pick up some other points! Black Panther and Wonder Woman are good movies. And if you think the only reason people enjoyed them as much as they did is because "diversity" then you probably went in with a chip on your shoulder. (and before you say I should watch good movies, my favourite movie of 2017 was Florida Project and 2018 was Widows, do I get enough "cinema" points from you?)

Man, that post about Blue is the Warmest Colour where you disparage a woman's appearance is not good a take to have, you know you can discuss women without mentioning their physical appearance? Also that movie is a complete mess when it comes to it's portrayals of female intimacy, and was roundly criticised for the male gaze of it's sex scenes. Hell Kechiche's most recent movies is one of the most panned movies of recent times because it's almost 3.5 hours of women's butts gyrating.

Diversity is categorically not already there, there are still far too few women behind the camera. In cinema and in video games. Watching better content doesn't fundamentally change this categorical fact. Does it get better if you get away from the mainstream? Sure, but as someone who's done a lot of work on the best films of the 2010s recently for their job, there are shockingly less female directors than male.

And yes a talk about diversity is definitely political since there's already diversity (and there's no problem with that). I'm not saying "wanting diversity ? lol die of cancer you idiot", I'm saying that there's already a ton of diversity and that's why being obsessed about it is a nonsense.
"There's already a ton of diversity" lol. Guys, we've hit full diversity, we don't need anymore. Wrap it up, we can go home!

But anyway this is getting dangerously off topic.

What's your favourite game with a female protagonist, that you don't think would be a good fit for Smash?

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
What's your favourite game with a female protagonist, that you don't think would be a good fit for Smash?
What an interesting question, Nquoid! I sure am glad that this thread exists for discussion of such topics!

I've already mentioned VA11-HALLA, as while I think Jill would be exceptionally funny in Smash, it'd obviously be kind of silly to add a bartender. Mina from Battle Chef Brigade is another fun character who would not exactly fit in legacy-wise. Hat Kid from A Hat in Time and Lilac from Freedom Planet are both great retro throwback platformer heroes too.

There are a lot of fun indie characters who would be great to see, but don't exactly have the clout to be playable. I have a dream that the next Smash game will add in a "Nindie Showcase" as an item (designed like a glass museum display case), which will summon a random indie character a la an assist trophy or a Pokeball. It'd be a fun way to represent some more niche characters and draw attention to overlooked indie games.

Cadence from Crypt of the Necrodancer is someone who I would have put in this category a year ago, but now that she's danced alongside Link and Zelda... I wouldn't call it likely by any means, but it is possible?

D

Deleted member

I-I-I...I never thought this escalated quite fast.

I-I'll go back later. Must collect and process what has happened.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Most of the time, these games with "great stories" are mediocre. Undertale for example, so many people are jacking off talking about how good the story is when in fact, it's just mediocre. The gameplay is actually really great (and that's why it's a good game) but the writing ? Give me a break. I don't know if the people claiming that already saw a good movie (and not some triple A ****) or read a good book.

You want a game that tells a good story (and in an interesting and intelligent way) ? Super Metroid. Not stuff like Uncharted 4 or God of War.
That's funny, because I personally found Super Metroid's story to be decent. Not amazing, just decent. But that's just me - I can see why someone else might really like it.

Personally, I really care a lot more about themes and characters. That's why Majora's Mask is one of my favorite video game stories to date - themes of grief and recovery are heavily tied into the story and the characters you meet along the are fairly memorable and serve the themes well.

What I'm saying is, it's all subjective. What's a "good story" is subjective. You might not like Undertale's story, but if there's so many people who do there must be something to like about it, even if you personally can't see it. Maybe Undertale just wasn't too your personal taste. But to say that other people's tastes are invalid because you can't understand them is kind of elitist.

And likewise, everyone's preference in characters will vary. In Smash, I am generally drawn to the big, powerful and speedy monsters. I just like the feeling of running or flying around as a draconian beast. While it might not be healthy to get too caught up on it there's nothing really wrong with enjoying it, and it's not like I refuse to play accept characters who don't fit that bill. Likewise some people just like having more characters that feel feminine. They might have different reasons for preferring that type of character but that doesn't mean they have to prove their reasons are any more valid.

I think the community as a whole needs to lighten up as a whole and just let people hope for who they want to hope for. You aren't doing yourself or anyone else any favors by taking on such an aggressive and judgmental tone. Never forget that Smash is meant to be fun, and character support and speculation should be something we do for fun as well.

Klimax

Smash Ace
That's funny, because I personally found Super Metroid's story to be decent. Not amazing, just decent. But that's just me - I can see why someone else might really like it.

Personally, I really care a lot more about themes and characters. That's why Majora's Mask is one of my favorite video game stories to date - themes of grief and recovery are heavily tied into the story and the characters you meet along the are fairly memorable and serve the themes well.

I think the community as a whole needs to lighten up as a whole and just let people hope for who they want to hope for. You aren't doing yourself or anyone else any favors by taking on such an aggressive and judgmental tone. Never forget that Smash is meant to be fun, and character support and speculation should be something we do for fun as well.
When i speak about Super Metroid, I don't praise the story but the way the story is told, that's different. Yeah, the story is very basic, it's basically "go on zebes and save the last metroid" but the way it's told is interesting because the game doesn't tell you anything with text boxes, it's all about the little details. I also like Majora's Mask one because once again, everything is done perfectly, there's a ton of details and there's basically a ton of possible interpretations to what's going on.

And I'm not aggressive at all, I'm chill

Man what a tiny regressive view of art and media you have. Anything can have a good story. Some of the most emotionally effective stories I've experienced have come from games that have managed to blend their story and gameplay together in interesting ways. Do all games have a good story? Hell no, but a lot of people love games because of the interaction between lore and gameplay is interesting.

And guess what? You can find cinema on Youtube! You can find it on TikTok and all kinds of places. Art is an ever growing and changing thing. And the fact that you think you have to read movies and books makes me think that your recommendations of them would bore me to tears (and I've probably read and seen a LOOOOOT more books and movies than you have).

And I don't have a problem. Because I'm a guy asking for more female characters in games! Because I pay attention and see that there are less of them! I can emotionally connect to female characters, but I also know that I'm spoiled for choice when it comes for a lot of my lived experiences, and if every movie, game and tv show prioritised the female experience, I'd be craving something that spoke to me. If you can't see that disconnect, then maybe you should be paying more attention to the media you apparently consume?

Let's pick up some other points! Black Panther and Wonder Woman are good movies. And if you think the only reason people enjoyed them as much as they did is because "diversity" then you probably went in with a chip on your shoulder. (and before you say I should watch good movies, my favourite movie of 2017 was Florida Project and 2018 was Widows, do I get enough "cinema" points from you?)

Man, that post about Blue is the Warmest Colour where you disparage a woman's appearance is not good a take to have, you know you can discuss women without mentioning their physical appearance? Also that movie is a complete mess when it comes to it's portrayals of female intimacy, and was roundly criticised for the male gaze of it's sex scenes. Hell Kechiche's most recent movies is one of the most panned movies of recent times because it's almost 3.5 hours of women's butts gyrating.

Diversity is categorically not already there, there are still far too few women behind the camera. In cinema and in video games. Watching better content doesn't fundamentally change this categorical fact. Does it get better if you get away from the mainstream? Sure, but as someone who's done a lot of work on the best films of the 2010s recently for their job, there are shockingly less female directors than male.

But anyway this is getting dangerously off topic.

It's not a tiny regressive view, it's just that video game's art is game design, just like cinema's art is cinematography. "anything can have a good story", that's not the question... Literature and filmmaking are just superior when it comes to telling a story. And what's funny is that when a story is told in an intelligent and interesting way in a video game, people don't even notice it, for example, the storytelling of Super Metroid is infinitely superior to the one of let's say "Uncharted 4" (seems like some people consider that "a cool story"). Never got touched by a story in a video game but I got blown away many times by how genius some game designers can be on tiny little things.
Think what you want without knowing me, I don't care about an ego's battle, I don't need to prove anything bud

There's no cinema on Youtube, filming yourself doing stuff in front of a camera isn't cinema. Legitimate projects are rare on Youtube. There's a bunch of short movies, some are okay but most of the time, these are made by film making students.

I think Black Panther and Wonder Woman are bad, just like other superhero movies. Never said people liked it because of the "diversity", I said that too many people acted like it was a big deal, there's a difference. Didn't see Florida Project but I found Widows cool. You get the pass anyway (be careful, I'm still not too sure)

I talked about her physique to give a better idea of what I was talking about. And since the body is a huge aspect of the movie, it's definitely worth mentioning, but yeah you can bring your morality and try to make me look bad if you want. The sex scenes are well made, it's not vanilla sex, so what ? I know more girls who **** like this than girls having vanilla sex. And if the only thing you remember about the movie is the sex, well, you missed something. Also, that's what life is about, talking about stuff and having sex (Climax is also a really good example of that). There's no cool punchlines or stuff like this because the focus is to give an accurate depiction of real life. If I had to criticize something about the realism, I would talk about how the depiction of social classes is stereotypical in the movie. Once again, if you don't find the sex scenes realistic, fine but I disagree, I didn't hear more girls saying "lol it looks like porn, it's ridiculous" than girls saying "that's what i do".

Diversity is not exactly there in mainstream circles, but who cares about that anyway ? That's the level zero of creativity. If Captain America is a dude or a girl, that's not gonna change anything, it will still be a mediocre movie made by MARVEL. I heard people asking for feminist movies, but when you propose them movies like Sedmikrasky, many are not interested because "it's too different". If I go to a burger king, I can refuse to buy anything but I can't say "wtf there's nothing to buy". If people just take the time to get out of their comfort zone, they'll see many actually great movies directed by women, movies directed in lesser known countries, talking about different subject, etc.. It's just too easy to come and say "there's not what I want" when you're not looking in the right place.

To talk about the actual topic:

- Marina Liteyears from Mischief Makers simply because the whole thing about the character is grabbing stuff and shaking it. I can see one or two of her moves but outside or her grab game, it's not like there was ton of things to work with. But the character is freakin amazing.

-Mach Rider, having a character that is 24/7 on a bike would be hard to implement (giving her the Captain Falcon's treatment would be lame).

- Jade from Beyond Good and Evil, at the end of the day, she would be basic as hell

- Any girl from Magical Drop III, they're from a puzzle game and there's not many things to work with

- Eri or Fio from Metal Slug, I have a hard time imagining a character that makes you feel like you're playing metal slug.

- Sami from Advance Wars but I think they could make her work (her specials could be like what Ginyu does with his crew in Dragon Ball FighterZ)

- Pocky from Pocky & Rocky, just like Metal Slug, I think implementing a character from a run n gun would be hard

- Rolly Roll from Billy Hatcher (she's basically the perfect echo fighter for Billy Hatcher so I count her) because I don't see how you could make the whole "you can only fight with an egg" works. But it would be insanely cool, that game was fun.

EDIT: Forgot to add Cooking Mama who would be really cool

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I think Black Panther and Wonder Woman are bad, just like other superhero movies. Never said people liked it because of the "diversity", I said that too many people acted like it was a big deal, there's a difference. Didn't see Florida Project but I found Widows cool. You get the pass anyway (be careful, I'm still not too sure)

I talked about her physique to give a better idea of what I was talking about. And since the body is a huge aspect of the movie, it's definitely worth mentioning, but yeah you can bring your morality and try to make me look bad if you want. The sex scenes are well made, it's not vanilla sex, so what ? I know more girls who **** like this than girls having vanilla sex. And if the only thing you remember about the movie is the sex, well, you missed something. Also, that's what life is about, talking about stuff and having sex (Climax is also a really good example of that). There's no cool punchlines or stuff like this because the focus is to give an accurate depiction of real life. If I had to criticize something about the realism, I would talk about how the depiction of social classes is stereotypical in the movie. Once again, if you don't find the sex scenes realistic, fine but I disagree, I didn't hear more girls saying "lol it looks like porn, it's ridiculous" than girls saying "that's what i do".

Diversity is not exactly there in mainstream circles, but who cares about that anyway ? That's the level zero of creativity. If Captain America is a dude or a girl, that's not gonna change anything, it will still be a mediocre movie made by MARVEL. I heard people asking for feminist movies, but when you propose them movies like Sedmikrasky, many are not interested because "it's too different". If I go to a burger king, I can refuse to buy anything but I can't say "wtf there's nothing to buy". If people just take the time to get out of their comfort zone, they'll see many actually great movies directed by women, movies directed in lesser known countries, talking about different subject, etc.. It's just too easy to come and say "there's not what I want" when you're not looking in the right place.
See I actually think you're close to getting the point we're making. Its apparent that you don't hold mainstream media in that high a regard. But for better or worse thats what most people experience, and its a waste land when it comes to female fronted projects. Some of my favourite films of the year like Booksmart, Hustlers, The Farewell, The Souvenir and High Life all have female directors, but at the moment cinematic discourse is focused on a bad Scorcesse knock off about a white guy villain. People want to see romcoms about gay relationships and they want to see women lead action movies, but sadly most of the time those things don't get made or put in front of an audience that would appreciate them. The mainstream is important for precisely that reason, we shouldn't be relegating our female directors and characters to independent projects. Hell i love that Marvel are about to have a run of movies with a load of female talent behind the camera

Gonna disagree on the superhero point, but i'd also say Black Panther was a better movie than half the other best picture nominees this year (including the winner), but I can also acknowledge they're rote and cookie cutter and follow a formula, although I do think Black Panther does some fascinating stuff with those confines. Pop art is important, even if maybe not as intellectually stimulating as art house. They both serve important parts of a pop culture diet.

And i'd love to talk BITWC more, but all i can offer is that when I watched it with queer female friends they couldn't stop laughing at how unrealistic and OTT it was (if certainly erotic).

But on topic, I like most of those picks, Jade's probably my favourite, but I adored BG&E back in the day.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay, Okay, okay.

Let me process everyone's thoughts one by one. It's hard, but it's still worth talking about. For one, as the moderator of the topic, I have every right to make my stand on the topics at hand.

Klimax Klimax :

I must say that your interests are quite niche, and that is understandable. I completely respect your opinion, and I have nothing against it. I never played Super Metroid for the matter (as much as I have Zero Suit Samus as a tertiary), but to each is their own. Anyway:

*cough* Metal Gear Solid *cough*

Seriously, game design and good story mix very, very well. As to why MGS was a masterpiece, it combined the revolutionary stealth game design with cinematic experience such that you can learn many, many things about the universe it's in. I always hold video game lore with high regard, and I get that. I'm quite curious as to why you hold cinematic gaming with low regard. Even I have known that it may seem quite monotonous at some times but, there's always the part where you can do it right. Think I;m just an MGS fan and I'm just promoting it? Kingdom Hearts, for all its convoluted lore, is often what drives people to this franchise, same with me. Search cinema on YouTube? There's a loooottt of short films that can be just as good as the ones you see on the cinema. As for your cringe, either it's that or it's your own definition. Because I personally don;t find it to be cringey. Characters don';t necessarily need to look like me or be the same gender as me to relate to them. Despite the fictitiousness of the setting, I can relate with some realistic games because they have elements that mirror real life. People like to take their personal experiences and covert them into an entertaining form for them to enjoy. That is why we love story-based games.

And you think I of all people have a problem? I can main male characters in Smash as much as I want to, and you're telling me that my view of feminism in gaming and the fact that I desire a female DLC character is a problem. It's never a problem to begin with. It's just a personal opinion-slash-frsutration that I can share with anyone in this forum for them to discuss about. But to call it a problem seemed quite harsh. You may sound chill, but the choice of words you use are harsh. Don;t just decry everything in this forum as a "problem" to you.

I'm never a perfect person, but you should be more concerned with the facts and what's going on. It's okay to keep your opinion to yourself, but if it comes to the point that you feel like you're attacking the opinion with little basis, calling it a "problem", then I have no words for that; you said it yourself, and I have nothing to do with it. I was just expressing my opinion, that is all.

Nquoid Nquoid :

I appreciate your views for this forum. It really helped shed a light into the discussion at hand.

See I actually think you're close to getting the point we're making. Its apparent that you don't hold mainstream media in that high a regard. But for better or worse thats what most people experience, and its a waste land when it comes to female fronted projects. Some of my favourite films of the year like Booksmart, Hustlers, The Farewell, The Souvenir and High Life all have female directors, but at the moment cinematic discourse is focused on a bad Scorcesse knock off about a white guy villain. People want to see romcoms about gay relationships and they want to see women lead action movies, but sadly most of the time those things don't get made or put in front of an audience that would appreciate them. The mainstream is important for precisely that reason, we shouldn't be relegating our female directors and characters to independent projects. Hell i love that Marvel are about to have a run of movies with a load of female talent behind the camera

Gonna disagree on the superhero point, but i'd also say Black Panther was a better movie than half the other best picture nominees this year (including the winner), but I can also acknowledge they're rote and cookie cutter and follow a formula, although I do think Black Panther does some fascinating stuff with those confines. Pop art is important, even if maybe not as intellectually stimulating as art house. They both serve important parts of a pop culture diet.

And i'd love to talk BITWC more, but all i can offer is that when I watched it with queer female friends they couldn't stop laughing at how unrealistic and OTT it was (if certainly erotic).

But on topic, I like most of those picks, Jade's probably my favourite, but I adored BG&E back in the day.
This takes me back to my seminar last Tuesday. Like I said, people want to buy material they themselves could relate to. It's just that what is the minority is treated like the minority with no representation at all. A lot of stuff, mostly comics, has opened up to this kind of representation in modern times. However, today's standards have changed. Women are getting big projects, getting more representation, and many more positive outlooks.

As for the superhero movie, coming from a comics geek myself, I do admit that Black Panther and Wonder Woman aren;t the best of the best, but not only did it shed a light on representation; it did it in an effective way without being overstereotypical. They still managed to tell a great story, and I appreciate them for that. Kudos.

As for BITWC, I've seen some...suggestive parts of it, but no, seriously, I watched the movie. In private, When I had the day to myself. What did I get? A so-so lesbian relationship coupled with a bit of internet porn. As a matter of fact, I did check the director's filmography, and yes, in my opinion, he's slowly transforming into someone who merely watches hentai for the "plot".

:sadeyes:

It's kinda sad that what initially was a discussion about potential female newcomers, as well as a criticism of the current DLc Fighter's Pass of Smash Ultimate, turn out to be one hell of opinion battering. I immediately thought that this would quickly get political, but not in a sense like this.

I've been depressed over having this new female character in the roster. Advance ako mag-isip, they said. For one, I'm scared that what I discussed and stood for would not be taken into account. I'm saddened by this current turn of events that I'm gonna lose it if the next fighter was leaked and the character is not a true female. I might as well give up hope for the DLC. My wants are hopeless. My most wanted character has no chance of getting in, and any others are in a dark spot.

Maybe it's just that I make a big deal out of small things.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman

Some people that complain about agendas all the time dont see they become more annoying than the people they are complaining. See.. You cant even start a discussion about woman and representation of some minorities, gay, people of different colors or regions, and then we go with the discussion about politics, people saying they cant stand that things being shoved on their faces.. Its just like a movement comparable with the people they say the disagree.. But they are equally annoying, if not even more. Its like a new agenda, the agenda of complain about agendas at every small situation that a discussion about diversity starts.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...as much as I am an advocate, you do have a point. Either that, or that every single emotion he gives seems quite lacking to me. Yeah, he's quite monotnous but um...Pyra/Mythra are so sick that when Mythra first appeared I swore I'd always use her due to her tsundere qualities.

Using Tora? Good luck reaching the late game with him because you're mostly gonna use
Morag for the rest of the game. Then you have Zeke who feels much, much cleaner to use my opinion. I Or if you stuck with Tora, good luck upgrading Poppi. My strat is practically Overwatch's GOATS composition with Nia, Tora, and Morag as the setup.

This just in, we became the Rex/Pyra/Mythra thread!
Not that this applies to this thread, but I am pretty far in game and am still using Tora. I know a lot of people switched him with Morag or Zeke, but I just liked him and Poppi. They were a lot more interesting to me than hearing Rex scream Pyraaaaa with no soul for the umpteenth time. Which is why I suggested those two for Smash. I know it's not going to happen and if they do get a rep it will be Rex. And while the Japanese VA might have soul guys, we're going to get the English VA.

WINNING. IT'S AWRIGHT. DON'T FOR---wait.

I have to dig up the thread I saw a long time ago, but it was an obscure character (and female) from Nintendo's past before they moved to videogames. They were a kangaroo mascot for Nintendo's lineup for toy games. It's such an out of there inclusion, but I really liked the idea when I read it.

https://smashboards.com/threads/nin...-kangaroo-for-super-smash-bros-switch.453741/
This might be the thread. Pretty sure it is. I'd be on board for this. It's not out of there for Nintendo to include their past history/successes, like G&W and R.O.B.

D

Deleted member

It's not because you don't do it that a lot of people don't do that. Remember when Black Panther came out ? A lot of people were like "oh finally a superhero for black people". Same thing with Wonder Woman, idiots were like "finally a character for girls", that is cringe. Black people already had all of the other characters, same goes for girls. They were just 2 more superheroes, nothing more. And people thinking it was more than that are just alienated. Jeez, I needed character who looked like me when I was a kid (and yes at that point of time when I liked a character, he always was a white cool jacked dude) but then, I turned 7 and I discovered that I could like character you didn't look like me (yeah I was really jacked when I was 7).

"You're playing the wrong games" first line and I considered stopping there because, come on, it doesn't mean anything, I know it, you know it, it's just not serious.

"Blabla women are just prizes/objectives blabla too many straight males in star roles blabla" I already hear that all the time with cinema and it's also fake, cut that bs already. Watch better movies and play better games, you'll see that straight males are not all over the place. Diversity is already there but if you're only watching Hollywood movies, yeah, I understand that you didn't realize it yet (and trust me, you don't want diversity in Hollywood anyway, what's the point of wanting the same **** but with vaginas instead of ***** ?). This is some slave morality I hear from people who don't even make the effort to get out of their comfort zone (not you in particular, but that's the case with most of the people).

"More often than not, you get to pick characters that walk like you, talk like you, dress like you, fight like you, throw/hold objects like you, are portrayed as relatable heroes/role models, and so on". Many people do that, yes, and it's just sad. Sometimes I'll play as a dude in a game, sometimes a girl, sometimes black, sometimes yellow, sometimes white because I don't give a single **** about that. One of my favorite movies is about a young girl discovering that she's a lesbian when she falls in love with an ugly blue haired older girl and at some moments I can relate to the two characters. Not because they're like me (I couldn't be more different actually) but because it's well made.

It's not that your sister can't do that, it's just that she doesn't do enough to change (or simply that she doesn't even realize that she can overcome her shyness). A lot of girls don't care about that kind of stupid messages (these messages come from pathetic slobs most of the time anyway). There's no reason for her to not be capable of doing the same, being shy is not a death sentence. So yeah, she can do that (just like anybody else). Once again, saying that "she can't do that" is slave morality and i cannot support that

If you say that it's because you even have a hard time thinking that 2000 games is just a small fraction of all the games who deserve far more attention.

The second part, lol, can't even say something to that. I don't watch stuff like Godzilla but I also don't watch stuff where the talking is ****. Once again, it's not about what a movie does, it's about how he does it.

"Don't like, don't comment" how to have an interesting conversation, chapter 0.

Heres a thought, and brace yourself cause this is gonna BLOW your mind! But did you know that liking a game for its game design and liking the characters that are part of said game isnt mutually exclusive?

You whine as if the female choices for Smash are so bad that people have to use their gender as an excuse.

Quit wasting everyones time with your projected whining. What makes you think crying about what other people do with their lives isn't pathetic?

1FC0

Smash Lord
She'd be one of the few robots besides R.O.B. He needs a friend after all.
Mega Man is a robot too. But more suitable friends for R.O.B. would be Professor Hector and Professor Vector. I'd love for them to get in.

It is easier for you to relate when most of your options are: a woman with stereotypical male ideals of beauty and sexual appeal, or a guy potentially designed with you in mind
Samus is clearly driven by manly ideals. In fact the whole point of making her a woman was that she's so manly that her being female would surprise the player. So does Samus not count because she's driven by male ideals in her story?

Or do you mean a woman according to male ideals? Well, men like women that are healthy and friendly. So what's wrong with that?

Or do you mean women according to the ideals that men set for women in porn? But that's something different than the ideals that men set for women in real life. Men generally do not like slutty women. That's why slutty women often end up as single mothers. Men who just want sex will settle for a slutty woman because for them it's quantity over quality, but men who want a long lasting relationship will often only settle for woman with class because they want quality over quantity.

Most standards of being ultra-thin and wearing expensive brands and lots of make-up are actually made by gay men and women for female magazines. Hetro men do not actually care about all that stuff, they just want a healthy friendly woman with a pretty smile.

Fan service like Bayonetta undressing herself is for men when they really desire to have sex at the moment. In real life those men would not actually want to have a long lasting relationship with someone like Bayonetta and would prefer somelike like e.g. Peach or Zelda who keeps her clothes on and acts classy. They're fan service too, since they're the kind of healthy classy friendly women that a man would actually be willing to risk his life for saving.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Heres a thought, and brace yourself cause this is gonna BLOW your mind! But did you know that liking a game for its game design and liking the characters that are part of said game isnt mutually exclusive?

You whine as if the female choices for Smash are so bad that people have to use their gender as an excuse.

Quit wasting everyones time with your projected whining. What makes you think crying about what other people do with their lives isn't pathetic?
I definitely agree with your sentiment.

It's not that gender is an excuse. It's that we don't get repped in the Fighters Pass.

Samus is clearly driven by manly ideals. In fact the whole point of making her a woman was that she's so manly that her being female would surprise the player. So does Samus not count because she's driven by male ideals in her story?

Dude. The thread exists for a reason, some people want a female character in the pass and they want to discuss about it, simple as that. There's no good justification to come in here and relentlessly try to invalidate people wants with fallacious questions like this, it's borderline trolling at this point. You want to discuss the validity of the concept of diversity in video games ? Fine, why don't you just create a thread about it in the Debate Hall ?

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Well he's not wrong. Most of you are probably too young to remember the NES era. I only know of it since it was a hand-me-down when everyone else was playing SNES. Quite a bit of people were shocked to realize it was not a spaceman, but a spacewoman. I was wrong since I thought she was a robot.

Also there is a poll, so we should expect two sides of the discussion. Not trying to back up the last half of his Samus part, just that whenever someone posts against the majority vote, they get backlash. When it's set up to invoke flame, I get that, but it shouldn't be the cause for all posts.

I don't think IFCO ever said he didn't want more females in the roster. He just said whoever they are, they should be a good pick (male or female) Joker is apparently well known, but I didn't care for his inclusion at all. I know a lot liked his entrance, so that is that. Same with Terry. I was actually hoping for a Metal Slug rep and was disappointed, but oh well. There's enough Terry fans to warrant his inclusion.

D

Deleted member

For the record people, this dude 1FC0 1FC0 argued that Goku could get in Smash because Sakurai went back on certain things lmao.

I don't think IFCO ever said he didn't want more females in the roster. He just said whoever they are, they should be a good pick (male or female)
*ahem*

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
That wasn't IFCO though that was some other dude? Granted, I could had missed a certain post. Either way, I stand by that whoever they add I hope they're a good pick that will make most people happy. Like Lip isn't going to get as much hype as Dixie. I just used her as an example since I've seen her mentioned a few times.

I don't even know what game she is from. Some kind of tetris it looks like.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
None of the female characters I want are very likely. I'd instantly buy Filia, Cooking Mama, or any female that's already a Spirit - apart from the Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, and Splatoon series. But I don't see myself getting excited for anyone else.
I do want to say the sudden interest SEGA has taken in bringing Puyo Puyo games to the West should give you some hope for at least 1 female rep showing up.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Same here man. Probably no one knows what Beyond Good and Evil is, but I'd be down for Jade as a fighter. She was just some random photographer who thought she was getting a nature shoot gig and ends up documenting the governments corruption.

Also, this is so unlikely, but I'd love a Phantasy Star rep. Preferably online, since Universe makes them look like circus performers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom