• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

#UltimateDLCSoMale: The Female DLC Character Discussion

Should we have at least one female newcomer in the DLC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

That would make Banjo and Kazooie a mixed character. So there's no homogeneity but no female either in the DLC. This also makes Daisy, Peach, Nana, female Robin, and Rosalina & Luma mixed since they rely on non-females as well. Though now that I think about it, What is Luma's gender? They might be genderless too as far as I know.
Going by that logic, then we can safely assume that there is no true homogeneity in the roster. However, what is frustrating is the lack of the female side. As much as you can have mixed characters, you really need that true female rep to even things up.

Oh well, if the 5th fighter is female then I hope it's Tomb Raider or a female alt of Minecraft Steve along with Minecraft Steve.
Lara in my opinion is pretty blurry, but is someone whom I should not sleep on. We already have this season's Square rep with Hero, I'll doubt she'll make it this season, but there's always season 2 so...

As for Minecraft Steve...again. Season 2. As memetic as his inclusion would be, it would still be worthy, plus there's so many skins he could pick up from. I doubt they won't include...*cough* Hero *cough*...oh great...now what?

We've hit 200 posts. Never thought this thread would go this far.

Last edited by a moderator:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I agree that female Hero was a missed opportunity. I've noticed online that the female versions of characters who look like realistic humans seem to be more popular even among people with male sounding names. So for example, men seem to prefer female Corin, Robin, Wii Fit Trainer, and Pokemon Trainer over their respective male counterparts; but they seem to not prefer Wendy or female Villager over their respective male counterparts.

D

Deleted member

I agree that female Hero was a missed opportunity. I've noticed online that the female versions of characters who look like realistic humans seem to be more popular even among people with male sounding names. So for example, men seem to prefer female Corin, Robin, Wii Fit Trainer, and Pokemon Trainer over their respective male counterparts; but they seem to not prefer Wendy or female Villager over their respective male counterparts.
Indeed, since I've read that Hero's IV variant has a female counterpart that's arguably more popular. Damn, Sakurai, don't go breaking my heart. BEcause I wouldn't if I tried.

Dear me, what kind of a spiraling trail of brokenheartedness did I end up in?

Klimax

Smash Ace
I'm all for the idea of a female newcomer, but there's only so many characters it could be. I think Nintendo has a lot of female characters of its own to choose from. Bayonetta was great but Nintendo should prioritize their own girls before even thinking about adding any third party females.

Lip (Panel de Pon) (My top pick)
Mona (Warioware)
Mach Rider (yes, she's a woman!)
Jill Dozer
Dixie Kong
Pauline
Ayumi Tachibana
Alice (Balloon Kid)
We never had any confirmation that Mach Rider is a chick (everything is basically speculations). But that would be cool and funny since the character is ****in jacked
The rest is good, but I would prefer regular Balloon Fighter over Alice because I don't like Balloon Kid)

D

Deleted member

We never had any confirmation that Mach Rider is a chick (everything is basically speculations). But that would be cool and funny since the character is ****in jacked
The rest is good, but I would prefer regular Balloon Fighter over Alice because I don't like Balloon Kid)
This is the same speculation that I've been making ever since I caught up with Mach Rider.

Eh, personal opinions, yadda yadda.

BTHK_Nydus

Smash Rookie
Getting a Starcraft character in Smash is one of my wildest pipedream. Also i totally agree on Kerrigan, i always perceived her as the main character of the series even if it's never clearly stated in the games (she has the most character development, she's pretty much always a central piece of the story and the ending of Starcraft 2 really confirms her place of protagonist at least for me).

As for her design, Queen of Blades is probably the most recognizable one of the two imo.

(Zeratul would also be pretty sick in Smash)
Holy ****, I hadn't even thought of Zeratul... Yeah, basically any Starcraft character would be cool with me (except please no Raynor or Tychus). My favorites (in order) are probably Kerrigan, Fenix, Nova, Zeratul, Duran, Tassadar. That's just from memory, which seems fair when listing favorites, but I could be missing someone. Kerrigan and Fenix are my favorites from the games, but Nova's book was actually a really fun read when I was a kid (highly recommended) and made me a big fan of her; I only played the first two SC2 campaigns but it seems like the games don't really do Nova's character much justice.

But yes, I'm fully there for the get a Starcraft character in Smash campaign. Where do I sign?

BTHK_Nydus

Smash Rookie
I play female main characters in games a lot. If I have to stare at my character running around doing stupid stuff I usually go for the best looking character model or the character with the flashiest looking gear, and Smash is no exception. And while I may agree with your anecdotal comment, I'm not sure I would put too much weight into it; I think people just pick the best colors. Pink Robin and the first girl PT look the best IMO, but base and purple shirt Villy are the best IMO. And I don't really see much Bowser Jr in general, but base skin and Wendy seem to pop up in pretty equal numbers.

Also, if you didn't notice, I main Sword Waifu because she looks badass; it has nothing to do with the fact that she may be a full tier higher than Sword Husbando... ;)

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I personally don't care about the gender of the character we get. When I look at the current fighter pass, my thoughts aren't "that sure is a sausage fest, we could definitely use some females here". All four of the five have something to show for their own merits, and that's what matters to me.

Diversity needs to happen naturally rather than artificially.

D

Deleted member

I personally don't care about the gender of the character we get. When I look at the current fighter pass, my thoughts aren't "that sure is a sausage fest, we could definitely use some females here". All four of the five have something to show for their own merits, and that's what matters to me.

Diversity needs to happen naturally rather than artificially.
Thanks but...that isn't everyone's mindset when looking at characters. Not everyone is going to be happy with the pass for lacking true women. Like me. Everyone has their own opinion, and mine is no exception. Being a feminist by the way.

Naturally, we got diversity back in Smash 4 with Bayonetta, and I'm clutching to my hopes that it can, and should, happen here.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Thanks but...that isn't everyone's mindset when looking at characters. Not everyone is going to be happy with the pass for lacking true women. Like me. Everyone has their own opinion, and mine is no exception. Being a feminist by the way.

Naturally, we got diversity back in Smash 4 with Bayonetta, and I'm clutching to my hopes that it can, and should, happen here.
Is it really that important to you to have that distinction in the fighter pass?

Who do you have in mind, and why?

Bayonetta has plenty going on for her due to the memorability of her games and Nintendo rescuing the franchise from absolute obscurity. I think she earned her place and has the merits to show for without even factoring her gender. It helps that she is a badass in her own series.

I personally want Dixie Kong, and it has nothing to do with her gender. It's because I liked her as a character in DKC2, DCK3 and Tropical Freeze.

D

Deleted member

Is it really that important to you to have that distinction in the fighter pass?

Who do you have in mind, and why?

Bayonetta has plenty going on for her due to the memorability of her games and Nintendo rescuing the franchise from absolute obscurity. I think she earned her place and has the merits to show for without even factoring her gender. It helps that she is a badass in her own series.

I personally want Dixie Kong, and it has nothing to do with her gender. It's because I liked her as a character in DKC2, DCK3 and Tropical Freeze.
To me, as a feminist, it's a big deal. I mostly main women in Smash, and I want to buy the Fighters Pass, but only if it has someone I as a woman can associate with. As a consumer of this media, I want to buy material which promotes my representation. If I want to purchase the additional Fighters Pass, I must also feel pride in buying it.

In terms of my bets for female rep, there's Morrigan from Darkstalkers (who's the character in my signature and my most wanted newcomer), Saber from Fate ( just because I want to end a bet with my friend), and there's also...um...there's a lot in my book.

Yeah, and personally, I could safely associate myself with Bayo not just because of her gender. I believe this is Smash also addressing the female demographic as well.

Yeah...Dixie is a bit overdue. I was the one clamoring for her to be an Echo Fighter for Diddy Kong, and in the words of the great Aris, "WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT, IT'S SO EASY!"

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I kind of want them to stick with a female from Nintendo instead of branching out to a third party game. I know Tracer and DVA? are being rooted for, but I don't really play Overwatch so it doesn't really hold a place with me. Dixie on the other-hand does because of DKC2 and DKC3 and maybe make her final smash bring Kiddie Kong to help her.

I remember playing both of those games with my cousins, years ago, and we'd take turns going through each stage. Good times. Also probably Tetra, but I know most will cry that there are too many Zelda reps.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I kind of want them to stick with a female from Nintendo instead of branching out to a third party game. I know Tracer and DVA? are being rooted for, but I don't really play Overwatch so it doesn't really hold a place with me. Dixie on the other-hand does because of DKC2 and DKC3 and maybe make her final smash bring Kiddie Kong to help her.

I remember playing both of those games with my cousins, years ago, and we'd take turns going through each stage. Good times. Also probably Tetra, but I know most will cry that there are too many Zelda reps.
Personally, I got attached to Overwatch because of all the non-game content: the comics, the animations, all that. In addition, I actually wrote a piece of Overwatch fanfiction during my heydays (which I am still in), even though all I knew of it was the other material. Also, blame Lil soniq for giving me additional salt, because he put Overwatch characters in Sonic's Ultimate Harem. Tracer in Smash is my personal bet since she's the de facto mascot, but D.Va? Shut up and take my salty money! Seriously we need a Korean in this game, it'll K-Pop! (Street Fighter has Juri, Tekken has Hwoarang, what's next, Smash, wanna join in? nah jk)

Imo divided between who should be an echo of Sheik, Tetra or Impa, though I'm lenaing on the latter. Come on, Sakurai, got anything bette rother than the main Triforce?

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
To me, as a feminist, it's a big deal. I mostly main women in Smash, and I want to buy the Fighters Pass, but only if it has someone I as a woman can associate with. As a consumer of this media, I want to buy material which promotes my representation. If I want to purchase the additional Fighters Pass, I must also feel pride in buying it.

In terms of my bets for female rep, there's Morrigan from Darkstalkers (who's the character in my signature and my most wanted newcomer), Saber from Fate ( just because I want to end a bet with my friend), and there's also...um...there's a lot in my book.

Yeah, and personally, I could safely associate myself with Bayo not just because of her gender. I believe this is Smash also addressing the female demographic as well.

Yeah...Dixie is a bit overdue. I was the one clamoring for her to be an Echo Fighter for Diddy Kong, and in the words of the great Aris, "WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT, IT'S SO EASY!"
Yeah i can understand that, even though i`m a male i also mainly play as women in Smash.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I feel if any female does deserve a spot among the DLC. It's Lara Croft.

She's THE video game female protagonist and icon that was big in the 90's especially regarding around the Playstation. I feel it wouldn't be right to not have her in the game which she more then earns her spot.

The only thing that might halt her inclusion is lack of popularity in Japan.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I genuinely don't understand how some people here think that people can't want female characters because of their credentials AND because they're female and they want more characters that match their own gender. A worrying number of people think it's solely because of the latter and not both the former and latter.

D

Deleted member

I feel if any female does deserve a spot among the DLC. It's Lara Croft.

She's THE video game female protagonist and icon that was big in the 90's especially regarding around the Playstation. I feel it wouldn't be right to not have her in the game which she more then earns her spot.

The only thing that might halt her inclusion is lack of popularity in Japan.
Wait, Lara isn't popular in Japan? I was today years old when I knew of this.

I genuinely don't understand how some people here think that people can't want female characters because of their credentials AND because they're female and they want more characters that match their own gender. A worrying number of people think it's solely because of the latter and not both the former and latter.
A whole lot of female characters have the credentials. Heck, even I was surprised that there was a sizable percentage of people who voted for "No" in the poll. Like I said in my previous post, people want to buy stuff yhey can associate themselves with. Despite Smash having a small female base, that said base is still a considerable amount, and should not be taken for granted.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Wait, Lara isn't popular in Japan? I was today years old when I knew of this.
That's what someone on the newcomer thread had told me a while back.

Hope that doesn't stop her from being added because as said I think she really earns a spot due to her legacy as THE female video game protagonist.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
As much as I like Dixie Kong, I really dont see her bringing anything special to Smash. Her presence just to "fill the gap" of a main DK character can just be on the way of a more interesting character. If she is an echo for Diddy,its a nice way to fill the gap without wasting too much time on her.

D

Deleted member

As much as I like Dixie Kong, I really dont see her bringing anything special to Smash. Her presence just to "fill the gap" of a main DK character can just be on the way of a more interesting character. If she is an echo for Diddy,its a nice way to fill the gap without wasting too much time on her.
As much as we got K.Rool, I'm sorry to say that you have a point.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
The remainder of my most wanted characters for Ultimate are female, actually.

Just gimme Elma, Fiora, KOS-MOS, or Shantae and I'll be pretty happy.

D

Deleted member

The remainder of my most wanted characters for Ultimate are female, actually.

Just gimme Elma, Fiora, KOS-MOS, or Shantae and I'll be pretty happy.
That's kinda cool to be exact. But however, my most wanted, if she happened, would make me never ask for anything ever again. And I would not ***** about any other pick. To thw point that I'll be okay with the cancers wanting Goku for Smash.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
That's kinda cool to be exact. But however, my most wanted, if she happened, would make me never ask for anything ever again. And I would not ***** about any other pick. To thw point that I'll be okay with the cancers wanting Goku for Smash.
Oh, absolutely.

Morrigan is definitely a character I would love to see make it in one day. Darkstalkers just needs more love in general, tbh.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
What matters most is
Heck, even I was surprised that there was a sizable percentage of people who voted for "No" in the poll.
I think those people interpreted the thread as "should we force a female character into the game just for the sake of diversity?" And in that case, I would have answered "No" as well (but I answered yes).

Nquoid

Smash Ace
https://twitter.com/GennHutchison/status/1168244244785418240?

(realised tweet has a swear, so here's a link)

to be honest you can sub out the word "writers" here for basically anything involving an attempt at more gender parity. If you're reaction to any kind of push towards to more diversity is to ask if it's "forced" you're not really understanding what the discussion is about.

More female characters in Smash, please and thank you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think those people interpreted the thread as "should we force a female character into the game just for the sake of diversity?" And in that case, I would have answered "No" as well (but I answered yes).
It's mostly their opinion if they don't want. But in a sense, we aren't forcing a female character for the sake of diversity. It's just that we as women don't want to be left out of the DLC. Some of us bought it, now some of us want a character they feel fits their imagery as a woman. If the entire pass was allk about hunky dudes with guns and swords and shoot, why would we even buy the pass if it would not represent us? And oh, you're telling me that it doesn't care about us? Well, they do. If they didn't care, they we wouldn't have stuff like PEach, Zelda, or Samus!

(realised tweet has a swear, so here's a link)

to be honest you can sub out the word "writers" here for basically anything involving an attempt at more gender parity. If you're reaction to any kind of push towards to more diversity is to ask if it's "forced" you're not really understanding what the discussion is about.

More female characters in Smash, please and thank you.
That's a pretty good tweet. "Wanting women characters" is NOT the same as advocating lesser characters. There are so many female icons to choose from.

1FC0

Smash Lord
And oh, you're telling me that it doesn't care about us? Well, they do. If they didn't care, they we wouldn't have stuff like PEach, Zelda, or Samus!
Those three are major characters from some of Nintendo's biggest franchises. I think they would have been in the game even if they were male.

Or are you referring to Nintendo making them female in the first place in their own series? Samus was made female just to serve as a cheap surprise to the player, and I think that Peach and Zelda are female because it suits the story of their games better, this goes especially for Peach.

Also I think that you should have added an indifferent option in the poll. Some people may not care if there is going to be a female DLC or not. They're not against it, but not for it either. How the poll is now those indifferent people should vote "no" because they do not think that a female character should be in DLC. They also do not think that it should not be, but that's not what the poll is asking.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So what's the current consensus on the most likely female characters to get chosen?
I want to say Lara Croft given her legacy an given how important of an gaming icon she is but at the same time her lack of popularity in Japan might prevent that.

D

Deleted member

So what's the current consensus on the most likely female characters to get chosen?
Most probable are Shantae, Tracer, 2B, Dixie, Pyra/Mythra, Lara Croft.
Underdogs include Morrigan, Arle Nadja, KOS MOS, Jill Valentine

Those three are major characters from some of Nintendo's biggest franchises. I think they would have been in the game even if they were male.

Or are you referring to Nintendo making them female in the first place in their own series? Samus was made female just to serve as a cheap surprise to the player, and I think that Peach and Zelda are female because it suits the story of their games better, this goes especially for Peach.

Also I think that you should have added an indifferent option in the poll. Some people may not care if there is going to be a female DLC or not. They're not against it, but not for it either. How the poll is now those indifferent people should vote "no" because they do not think that a female character should be in DLC. They also do not think that it should not be, but that's not what the poll is asking.
To be honest, this was a yes or no question. They can opt not to vote, as it isn't mandatory. I was not referring to the second paragraph, mind you. It's their choice anyway.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Regardless of lack of popularity in the East I still feel Lara's being really slept on for obvious reasons already stated.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Most probable are Shantae, Tracer, 2B, Dixie, Pyra/Mythra, Lara Croft.
Underdogs include Morrigan, Arle Nadja, KOS MOS, Jill Valentine
I'd quibble on Shantae, but I know I'm a lot lower on her chances than the rest of the community.

But I'd also through Amaterasu on that list.

And then if they really wanted Ubisoft I could see Jade from Beyond Good & Evil or Kassandra from Assasin's Creed being good picks (even if Ubisoft have a lot of options, none of them are particularly likely however)

UserKev

Smash Champion
It looks like Rex gets all the praise as far as Xenoblade, cringe >_< but I would absolutely LOVE Pyra. Damn, another missed opportunity.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
It looks like Rex gets all the praise as far as Xenoblade, cringe >_< but I would absolutely LOVE Pyra. Damn, another missed opportunity.
I absolutely adore Pyra and Mythra (if it wasn't already obvious enough by my avatar and signature), but I wouldn't want to see either one of them without Rex. Accuracy to the source material is something I value the most in a fighter.

...Although, I do suppose solo Mythra could work since she was playable in Torna.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Dixie, Shantae and Elma have the popularity that could get them noticed.

Rex has popularity and could use Pyra and/or Mythra. But I don't know much about how Blades work in Xenoblade 2, meaning I don't know if Pyra and Mythra would actually be playable if Rex was.

Edelgard comes from a recent game with good sales, though I don't know if Sakurai would consider adding an eighth FE rep.

Lara is supposedly an icon, so she could be playable for that. Jill and Tracer are from notable series too.

Adeleine, 2B, Morrigan, Pauline, Amaterasu, KOS-MOS, Reimu, and Impa are examples of females I see as having a much lower chance.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Rex has popularity and could use Pyra and/or Mythra. But I don't know much about how Blades work in Xenoblade 2, meaning I don't know if Pyra and Mythra would actually be playable if Rex was.
The way I could see it work is functioning like:ultpokemontrainer:

Down B allows Rex to switch to Pyra and Mythra anytime he wants acting as an duo character. Then again I haven't played any XenoBlade assuming that's how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom