• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

#UltimateDLCSoMale: The Female DLC Character Discussion

Should we have at least one female newcomer in the DLC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

During the 2018 Grammy Awards, where the most prolific of musicians get awarded for releasing good content, many where frustrated to see that out of all the major awards, the only female who ever won a major award was Alessia Cara. The rest of the award winners were male. Frustrated, the Internet called out the award show with a resounding "#GrammysSoMale", a hashtag that denoted the lack of gender diversity within the show itself. In response, the Academy President Neil Portnow said that "Women need to step up". The entire set of events set off a backlash on social media, criticizing the male dominance of the award show and the lack of female representation. Though thankfully, the 2019 Awards finally acknowledged these complaints, and numerous women dominated-and won-the nominations.

Now, why would the Grammys be brought up here in Smash? Simple: the same thing is happening. There have been no new female DLC newcomers who serve as a 100% playable fighter. While Kazooie could count, most of the time the player controls Banjo himself. This is an issue because there are so many possible female characters to choose from, and with so many female characters dominating the gaming scene nowadays, it would frustrate the fans as to why the new characters were all male. While the base roster does contain a hefty amount of women, the lack any credible female DLC newcomer will surely try to frustrate some of the fans.

This thread is set up to discuss the lack of female DLC characters. While it may get political, be sure to respect everyone's views. So far, there have been no female characters in the DLC roster. If there is a new female DLC character announced, then the thread will officially close. However, due to the author's intuition, this may now be the platform for future female fighter support.​

Last edited by a moderator:

KatKit

Smash Lord
When the first season pass was announced, I had a theory that they were going to release 'themed' season passes. One for 3rd party characters (seems legit for now), a discounted echo themed pass, and a 'Super Bash Smash Sister' themed pass.

You already know that they can easily pick 5 influential/iconic/popular/fun video game characters who are women back to back. It'd sell. They'd deserve to be in, too. Fighter 5 is still a complete mystery, so this topic might close sooner than you'd think. If not, there's more DLC on the way.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I linked this tweet back in late August and I think I'll link it again.

People don't necessarily want female characters because they're female, they just don't want most or all of the newcomers to be male.

I'm a guy and I agree.
This isn't hard.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Like I said in Speculation Discussion, I don't see the issue here... yet. Considering Sakurai's recent implications that Smash Ultimate will expand until it either bursts at the seams or ruins his life, we're looking at a decent amount of fighters yet to come. Female representation was a huge thing for Smash 4's Roster and I believe there will still be deliberations to get powerful women into the limelight. I don't think there's anything systematic about the Fighter's Pass's lack of female representatives thus far, either. The order of development simply may have led to this male-dominated Fighter's Pass, but doesn't mean there isn't plenty of compensation on the horizon.

My last point is simple. **** the Grammys to high hell. Not because they didn't award enough accolades to women, not because they didn't consider the male dominant winners unfair, but because the Grammys are a pathetic joke of an Awards Show that has less to do with musical content nowadays than it does with publicity stunts and press releases.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I definitely do feel we're gonna get an female rep, maybe more even.

Ones I feel has the best chances are Dixie Kong, Edelgard, Elma (More of wishful thinking), Jill Valentine (As an alt to Leon), KOS-MOS (Feel she's being slept on), Lara Croft (Same as KOS-MOS) and Shantae.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As I've pointed out before, Ultimate is doing just fine with female newcomers.

64: :samus64:
Melee: :peachmelee::sheikmelee::zeldamelee::icsmelee:
Brawl: :zerosuitsamus:
Smash 4: :4wiifit::rosalina::4palutena::4lucina::4bayonetta:
Ultimate: :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultisabelle::ultbanjokazooie:

All we have to do is get one more female character and Ultimate will be the game that added the most female fighters (5½).

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Absolutely support. The severe absence of female characters has up-setted me a bit. I'm not disappointed with the character's we've received so far, but it just doesn't feel complete without a female character.

So far, among the near 80+ characters we currently have, there only appears to be roughly 20.5 females in total (this includes the Mii's, Ice Climbers, newcomers, echoes, and costume alts).

Personally, I feel that the characters with the best chances are Shantae (assuming spirits don't deconfirm), 2B, Tracer, Reimu (one of the last bigger Indies to be represented), Jill Valentine, and KOS-MOS. Hopefully Sakurai decides to give us a fighters pass dedicated to female characters if the first one is all male.

Seems likely that the 5th fighter is going to be Ryu Hayabusa.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I just want female characters who feel like they are big deals. Third parties for me to get excited about should be pretty damn big names, but Nintendo's got plenty I want too:

Nintendo:
Dixie Kong is pretty much THE first female hero protagonist from Nintendo that is actually obviously female rather than that being the twist(hey Samus). In a lovely twist of fate she's also one of the only main Kongs to have never been kidnapped, completely subverting that whole damsel schtick.
Outside of Toad and Waluigi she's probably the most famous Nintendo character NOT currently on the roster.

Speaking of Toad, his female partner Toadette's really been rising through the ranks of the Mario series recently being the deutagonist of Captain Toad, and even replacing Yellow Toad and Peach as the fourth playable character in the Mario multiplayer games. If Toad or Captain Toad ever gets in, she HAS to be an alt.

Impa is my personal first choice for a new Zelda character as I fell in love with her Hyrule Warriors design. She's also one of the only reoccurring characters throughout the series who gets reincarnated outside the triforce trio (alongside MAYBE Tingle, but I'm unclear if he's just immortal or not at this point).

Byleth is a character I wasn't expecting to want, but I've really turned around on Fire Emblem this past year. Between Byleth's time abilities and cool chain whip sword and the overall success of Three Houses she's actually a FE swordsman I can get behind. Also comes with a male alt. Other female Fire Emblem characters that feel like they'd be neat include Anna(if she can use all manner of weird and wacky weaponry) and Lyndis, who is the most popular Fire Emblem character but currently stuck in Assist Trophy Hell.

Akira Howard(or Officer Howard as Akira is their twin?) from Astral Chain has so much potential it's mind boggling. With five legions under her control all with very different abilities there's a lot of crazy stuff she and her twin brother alt could perform.

Non Nintendo:
Lara Croft is someone I consider THE female video game protagonist, and I'm not even very familiar with Tomb Raider bar being around during Croft fever. She's in my top wants for a third party even if I'm more all about that first party squad.

Jill Valentine is admittedly not my very first choice for Resident Evil's representation, but it's hard to argue she's both the most well recognised and one of the most popular characters in the series. Overall she'd be a fantastic choice.

Chun Li was the one I was hoping would be our second Street Fighter character just because she is one of the most famous fighting game characters ever. We got Ken who isn't an awful idea, but I would personally have preferred the original kick chick.

Similarly Mai from King of Fighters and Kasumi from Dead or Alive are the other big female faces of fighting games and if they were included I don't feel like it'd be hugely forced to have someone like Kasumi make it in over even Hayabusa to rep Koei Tecmo as Kasumi's as much a mascot for the company as he is.

Western Non Nintendos:
Tracer is the face of one of the most successful video games in years. Whilst I personally far prefer it's influencer in Team Fortress 2, I can't deny Tracer has made a dent in Video games as a modern day mascot.

Portal, likewise, was huge. Chell would have unique abilities with a gun that can build up momentum and be used for crazy gameplay. I have no idea how or even if this could be balanced but it would blow my mind.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
As I've pointed out before, Ultimate is doing just fine with female newcomers.

64: :samus64:
Melee: :peachmelee::sheikmelee::zeldamelee::icsmelee:
Brawl: :zerosuitsamus:
Smash 4: :4wiifit::rosalina::4palutena::4lucina::4bayonetta:
Ultimate: :ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultisabelle::ultbanjokazooie:

All we have to do is get one more female character and Ultimate will be the game that added the most female fighters (5½).
Forgot:4corrinf::4villagerf:
And :ultpokemontrainerf:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
um we got kazooie the ultimate weapon ? banjo is nothing with out her (even tho he was an adventuring her B4 he met her but thats besides the point)

I will say some of the hero's have female forms like robin/corrin & they diddnt put them in smash so I'll give you that

I'd really want to see Urbosa in Smash, she's such a badass ...

... but yeah, i'm aware that it won't happen, i mean, it's highly unlikely imo.

My 2 cents on the subject: While i personally think that female representation is important (in video games but also in entertainment media in general), i also think that Smash is in a weird situation in that regard. The videogame industry has been known to target (mostly) male consumers and one of the easy ways to do so is to create a game with a male protagonist. As a result, we got an overwhelmingly higher number of male protagonists throughout the years. The Smash team has to work with that 'pool' of characters (granted, not all the fighters in Smash are protagonists but a lot of them are) in order to build a roster (base or DLC) that accurately represents videogame history. So basically, what i want to say is that Smash being this huge videogame crossover, it is bound to carry over the problem that is the lack of female representation in the whole industry.

With that being said, i'm all for more female rep. in Smash. Sure it's probably unrealistic to aim for a 50/50 roster but just like Lesley Black Velvet pointed out at some point in the Newcomer Speculation thread, one female character out of 5 is really not too much to ask. There's still hope for the 5th character tho since we don't have any real clue on who it'll be (it may seems strange coming from a Ryu Hayabusa supporter but i don't know why people think he's so likely all of a sudden... he's been mentionned in a few 'leaks' but they have been debunked a while ago so yeah... i don't get it).

D

Deleted member

With that being said, i'm all for more female rep. in Smash. Sure it's probably unrealistic to aim for a 50/50 roster but just like Lesley Black Velvet pointed out at some point in the Newcomer Speculation thread, one female character out of 5 is really not too much to ask. There's still hope for the 5th character tho since we don't have any real clue on who it'll be (it may seems strange coming from a Ryu Hayabusa supporter but i don't know why people think he's so likely all of a sudden... he's been mentionned in a few 'leaks' but they have been debunked a while ago so yeah... i don't get it).
That's the point. If I would demand for a 50-50 gender ratio for the roster, that of course would not happen and there wouldn't be much to talk about except the improbability of it.

Just one is so easy. I'll settle for the rest of the pass being male but if I don't see at least one female I'mma riot

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I'd really want to see Urbosa in Smash, she's such a badass ...

... but yeah, i'm aware that it won't happen, i mean, it's highly unlikely imo.

My 2 cents on the subject: While i personally think that female representation is important (in video games but also in entertainment media in general), i also think that Smash is in a weird situation in that regard. The videogame industry has been known to target (mostly) male consumers and one of the easy ways to do so is to create a game with a male protagonist. As a result, we got an overwhelmingly higher number of male protagonists throughout the years. The Smash team has to work with that 'pool' of characters (granted, not all the fighters in Smash are protagonists but a lot of them are) in order to build a roster (base or DLC) that accurately represents videogame history. So basically, what i want to say is that Smash being this huge videogame crossover, it is bound to carry over the problem that is the lack of female representation in the whole industry.

For some reason... I don't think we'll get a female as our fifth. That's completely a gut feeling though, and I hope its wrong.

Guaruntee the DLC cycle sees a fair amount of female representation, though.

Arthur97

Smash Master
You seem to be forgetting that most gaming icons are male. Take that as you will, but picking based on gender is a bad practice. Lara Croft being probably the biggest name, and while Jill may be popular, Chris is still probably the face of the franchise. Mai may have had a shot, but they went with Terry instead which is understandable given that he's SNK's mascot. Third party series usually only get one fighter, so you have to ask yourself if they are the mascot and best representation of that series. Is Chun-li popular? Most definitely. Is she a better SF representative than Ken or Ryu? Definitely not.

Now, if they go back into first party, the odds might go up with someone like Dixie, but as much as I'd love Dixie in, I don't see much if any more first party fighters for Ultimate.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
You seem to be forgetting that most gaming icons are male. Take that as you will, but picking based on gender is a bad practice. Lara Croft being probably the biggest name, and while Jill may be popular, Chris is still probably the face of the franchise. Mai may have had a shot, but they went with Terry instead which is understandable given that he's SNK's mascot. Third party series usually only get one fighter, so you have to ask yourself if they are the mascot and best representation of that series. Is Chun-li popular? Most definitely. Is she a better SF representative than Ken or Ryu? Definitely not.

Now, if they go back into first party, the odds might go up with someone like Dixie, but as much as I'd love Dixie in, I don't see much if any more first party fighters for Ultimate.
It's interesting to say that... The demand for female Smash fighters may be representative of the inbalanced number of Video Game protagonists and icons.

If that's the case, there's a less centralized issue to be taken up with not Smash but Video Game story building as a whole.

Arthur97

Smash Master
It's interesting to say that... The demand for female Smash fighters may be representative of the inbalanced number of Video Game protagonists and icons.

If that's the case, there's a less centralized issue to be taken up with not Smash but Video Game story building as a whole.
I mean, you can't really say what the demand even is. A bunch of people on a forum which has seen better days is far from conclusive. Though, if given the choice between characters like Red and Leaf, a lot of pros go with the female option, but I kind of doubt they do that for diversity so much as for...ya know.

I say gender of the characters should be one of the last things considered if at all. Let's look at SF. If they had chosen Chun-li over Ryu simply for being female, it would have resulted in worse representation of the series. Same thing with Tifa over Cloud. Let's take gender out entirely. Say they picked the FF XV protagonist over Cloud because he was the newest, it would have resulted in worse representation of the series since Cloud is the mascot. Generally speaking, I think the series protagonist and/or mascot should get top billing if there's only going to be one. That leaves significantly fewer choices for third party females (let's be honest, Bayonetta is not an icon either coming from a series that might still be dead if Nintendo didn't fund the sequel).

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I mean, you can't really say what the demand even is. A bunch of people on a forum which has seen better days is far from conclusive. Though, if given the choice between characters like Red and Leaf, a lot of pros go with the female option, but I kind of doubt they do that for diversity so much as for...ya know.

I say gender of the characters should be one of the last things considered if at all. Let's look at SF. If they had chosen Chun-li over Ryu simply for being female, it would have resulted in worse representation of the series. Same thing with Tifa over Cloud. Let's take gender out entirely. Say they picked the FF XV protagonist over Cloud because he was the newest, it would have resulted in worse representation of the series since Cloud is the mascot. Generally speaking, I think the series protagonist and/or mascot should get top billing if there's only going to be one. That leaves significantly fewer choices for third party females (let's be honest, Bayonetta is not an icon either coming from a series that might still be dead if Nintendo didn't fund the sequel).
I agree that choosing a character simply for their gender is counter-intuitive. In more mainstream areas of eSports games there's been a push to incorporate female, LGBTQ, and trans characters. (Overwatch, Apex Legends) That's of course different because these are brand new franchises building stories from the ground up. I wouldn't say that this gives Smash a responsibility to make these alignments represented. And so that extends to female characters as well.

I agree with you, truthfully. I hope the DLC characters are as ideally representative of their series as they can be no matter who they are. I just enjoy the conversation.

Ice-N-Space

Smash Apprentice
Solange Blanchefleur de Lux
Aluche Anatoria
Hat Kid
Rorolina Frixell
Shantae
&
Ulala

Would love to see any of these female characters make it in.

LipeCau

Smash Cadet
As more time passes, the more I'm alone on this request, but ever since Melee I wanted Lyn as a character.
Also, the pretty obscure Miria, from The Guardian Legend would be absolutely incredible.
And don't hate me because I love mechs, but D.Va is very welcome.
Finally my monkey girl Dixie is one of the few Nintendo allstars missing.

BTW, really nice thread. I'd love seeing most of your suggestions coming true.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Don't worry the next smash game will most likely give us pauline, peachette & pink gold peach as well as dixie kong

KatKit

Smash Lord
Surely you jest, but Peach not turning Pink Gold when she uses the Metal Box is a glaring omission.

Anyways, I've already done it in about 15 different topics, but I have a list of women I'd like to see in the roster. In no particular order.

Elma
2B
Medusa
Ribbon Girl or Twintelle
Akira (AKA Kaede) Howard
Estelle Bright (Trails in the Sky)
Style Savvy rep (this is my most wanted)
Daemon X pilot
Ayumi Tachibana
Mach Rider
Jill Valentine
Sophitia Alexandra (w/ a Cassandra Echo)
Anna (Fire Emblem)
Shantae
Ammy (Okami)
Kasumi Yoshizawa (Persona 5)
Ayane (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)
Mym (Dragalia Lost)
Tifa Lockhart (or Yuna or Lightning)
Katalina (Grandblue Fantasy)
Sakura Shinguji (or Gemini Sunrise)
Sakura Kasugano or Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
Mai Shiranui
Kachi (Sin and Punishment)
Velvet Crowe
Jill Dozer
Sami (Advance Wars)
Kassandra or Aveline de Granpre (Assassin's Creed)
Carmen Sandiego (my pipest of dreams!)
Tracer, D. Va, or Mercy (Overwatch)
Ring Fit Trainer
Literally any gal from League of Legends
Impa
Monster Hunter
Dixie
Joanna Dark
The Guardian Legend
Shepard (Mass Effect)
Arle Nadja
KOS-MOS

I'm sure I'm missing some, but they came to mind first. Also... if assist trophies ever got promoted, Phosphora and Krystal.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
List of female Nintendo character that should or could be in smash

Ring-Fit-Trainer
Any girl from ARMS
Octolings (witch also have a male alt)
Plenty of fire emblem characters like the 3 houses protag, Lyn or even anna
Dixie Kong
Peatchette,Pink Gold Peach,Pauline,Shadow Queen in papper peach's body, One of the 2 Princess Shroobs from M&L:pIT
Madusa from pits games
ANY POKEMON or a specific Female only pokemon like Nedoqueen who giovanni uses a villain & female rep right there or a female pokemon trainer
Star Fox's krystal or fay & miyu from star fox 2 could be cool
Birdo as a yoshi echo (altho birdo may be a man BUT there are more then 1 birdo so maybe the main mario birdo is trans if that lore is still a thing)
xenoblade's fiora or pyra & mythra or even X's avatar character or Elma who people thought would be in ultimate
captain syrup from wario land or any girl from wario world

the list could go on with good character options but remember the amount of female characters will never be as big as the male (or robots :p ) if say a female charater gets cut in the next smash game but replaced with another, & since smash usually take the main protags as the playable characters to represet a series & they can only put so many character in the game & wanting divers movesets its hard to get more females in.

especially with a roster of almost 80 characters with all old characters returning & with DLC focusing on 3rd party character AKA main protags its harder to fina a female one (altho hero got screwed on some female alts as 2 of the 4 heros HAVE female options that were not put in smash but probably due to buged reasons & time reasons like geting the rights to the characters & music & development time EXT)

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I think an important thing for people to consider regarding the skew in male-female protagonists in gaming, is not just the fact that there are generally more male gamers (though that does have a lot to do with it especially 30 years ago or so). But it has a lot to do with the "Hero" archetype being primarily male.

This has a lot to do with a man's primary role in society throughout history being hunters, soldiers, protectors, etc. While a women's role was more often a lot more passive and less dangerous. I am speaking generally as there are always outliers, but this is true most of the time throughout human history. As a result when developers create a hero character in an action adventure game, it is more than likely they would choose a male figure to best represent this archetype. A lot of fighting games have primarily male fighters since men are usually stronger and more aggressive than women and are pretty much always more likely to drop the gloves. The original street fighter for example was all men with Chun-Li being the one exception.

As time goes on developers have another motive for adding female representation in video games. Sex appeal. Lara Croft was one of the earliest examples of a female protagonist that had that exact draw of sex appeal since she was not only a major gaming icon but a sex symbol in the 90's, guys were obsessed with those low poly...assets. In the 90's developers started pushing more towards adding more prominent female characters and a very large percentage of them were made to appeal to men in this way, while they appealed to women by simply being women. This is likely due to the introduction of 3D which could allow more to be done. Of course fast forward a couple decades and we have characters like Bayonetta and 2B coming out the woodworks.

A lot of notable female protagonists overall don't have as much history as a lot of the male protagonists mainly because video game development started off in a fairly old fashioned way. And a lot of female protagonists are smaller indies compared to many big name male heroes. As a result when it comes to smash when looking at notable female characters have a harder time standing out from the crowd compared to the male characters simply because the male characters have had a bit of a head start.

With all that said when considering which female fighters that actually have a fighting chance in Ultimate's DLC (both first and third party) I think the shortlist looks something like this.
Third Party
-Lara Croft (the biggest name there is, I feel she's more likely than most think because she's arguably the most iconic character in general that isn't in Smash yet)
-Jill Sandwich Valentine (up in the air if she's considered the face of Resident Evil or if Leon Kennedy or Chris Redfield would be the go to, Leon's more popular but I think Jill is far more iconic)
-Chun-Li (with both Ryu and Ken already in, if we were to get another Street Fighter character she would be the most likely candidate since she's only realy the second most iconic character behind Ryu, I do see it as somewhat likely depending on how deep DLC will go but at the same time it also depends on whether or not another Street Fighter character is low in priority since the game has a notable presence in Smash already)
-Monster Hunter (while this is more of an male/female alt thing, it is very likely that we would have the choice since MH is an avatar type character and I actually find Monster Hunter to be very likely tbh, especially considering we already have Rathalos in the game)
-Amaterasu (Okami has somewhat of a cult following and a decent amount of popularity overall, but is very likely to be overlooked)
-Arle Nadja (major japanese popularity and a possible 'next in line' for Sega if they were to get another character)
-2B (modern gaming icon, she's sort of in the same tier as Bayonetta and Joker and may be a surprise addition, probably best not to sleep on her chances)
-Shantae (a very popular request amoung Smash fans, already present in the game as a spirit, her indie status may be a hindrance as she may not be 'big' enough compared to many other iconic hopefuls as DLC, but then again Banjo is mostly popular amoung Smash fans as well)
-Tracer (tbh I don't see us getting a Blizzard rep at all, despite the popularity of Overwatch, but WHO KNOW'S the game literally just got ported to Switch so Tracer coming to Smash isn't as :083: as it seems)

First Party
-Elma (imo the most likely female first party character since she's just a spirit and not an assist trophy and her timing may be in her favour, Xenoblade is getting popular enough as a franchise, and her home game XCX has barely any content in Smash whatsoever; that said Rex is currently the more popular pick for the Xenoblade series even though he has a mii costume, speaking of)
-Aegis (Rex would likely be the main playable character much like in XC2 but he'll likely incorporate Pyra/Mythra in his moveset in a significant way if he does make it, not sure if his mii costume will be 'good enough' for him or if the new wave of DLC will give Rex a second chance to join the roster, let's not lose our heads though)
-Byleth/Edelgard (if we get a TH rep it seems like a coin flip between the two, though I feel Byleth would be the more likely candidate and would likely be another male/female alt, but I wonder if they'll be shoehorned in like Corrin or if Sakurai will err on the side of caution due to the animosity towards Fire Emblem characters, however I feel Three Houses may be waaay too new)
-Akira Howard (another male/female alt, it is possible that Astral Chain, despite doing well, may be wayy too new as well, but we don't have much of an idea when and how the post-pass will be handled so we'll see)
-Dixie Kong (another very likely pick it seems, DK is a popular enough franchise but it comes down to whether she's a big enough deal as DLC, maybe...maybe not, personally I don't think so even though a lot of fans would still enjoy seeing her added)
-Impa (Zelda characters are in demand, and if Echo fighter DLC is on the table she's definitely a top candidate, but if not then she's not very likely as a DLC fighter)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
One of the most obvious females atm to me is absolutely Fiora from Xenoblade Chronicles.

-Unique moveset involving twin blades and drones
-A model already in the game complete with an existing skeleton they can use as a basis for her
-Chrom has basically proven characters can appear outside of Final Smashes
-Relevant due to the remake coming up and would be a perfect way to market the game
-Has been well established as the female face of the game alongside Shulk and already has appeared in many titles both with him and once without him

I honestly think she has a good chance, Xenoblade also hasn’t gotten a second character yet and I feel having the female face of the game would be a smart choice, but I’m not opposed to Pyra/Mythra or Elma.

But yeah, I think females as a whole are always more welcome, can never have too many!

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
As far as third party female characters, Lara Croft is in a league of her own. Amaterasu would be a good choice as well, though she's not quite on par with Lara. Jill Valentine would be a good alt for Leon. Maybe even an echo fighter.
Crash Bandicoot is my #1 most wanted character right now, and Coco would be an awesome echo fighter.
Ms. Pac-Man is honestly probably the most iconic female protagonist in all of gaming, and it baffles me why she wasn't in the base roster.
If we ever get DLC costumes for existing fighters, female Erdrick is a must. Terry also has a female doppelganger, which fits his androgenous name.

But Nintendo themselves have quite a few females to choose from.
Dixie Kong is way overdue, as is Impa. Midna with Wolf Link would be my choice for a single-game Zelda representative, but Impa's Skyward Sword / Hyrule Warriors version would be best as a Zelda newcomer.
I feel like Toad is way overdue for his Smash debut, and Toadette is prime material for an echo fighter.
Rex and Pyra would be a Banjo-Kazooie situation where the female takes a back seat to the male, but it's still a likely choice for a female-ish fighter.
Elma is possible as well, but Rex and Pyra are clearly the priority for Xenoblade.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Let’s see:

1st Parties:
Dixie Kong
Impa
Elma
Octoling (Echo) (Playable in both genders)
Ribbon Girl
Twintelle
Medusa (Echo)
Hilda (Echo)
Birdo (Echo?)
Lip
Krystal
Ashley
Lyn
Viridi (Echo)
Adeleine
Fiora
KOS-MOS
Arle
Paula
Kumatora
Sami
Pauline
Ayumi Tachibana

3rd Parties:
Shantae
Chun-Li
Terra Branford
Lara Croft
Jeanne (Echo)
Ms. Pac-Man (Echo)
Roll (Echo)
Hat Kid
Jill Valentine
Mai Shiranui
Morrigan

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Let’s see:
1st Parties:
Dixie Kong
Impa
Elma
Octoling (Echo) (Playable in both genders)
Ribbon Girl
Twintelle
Medusa (Echo)
Hilda (Echo)
Lip
Krystal
Ashley
Lyn
Viridi (Echo)
Adeleine
Fiora
KOS-MOS
Arle
Paula
Kumatora
Sami
Pauline
Ayumi Tachibana

3rd Parties:
Shantae
Chun-Li
Terra Branford
Lara Croft
Jeanne (Echo)
Ms. Pac-Man (Echo)
Roll (Echo)
Hat Kid
Jill Valentine
Mai Shiranui
Morrigan
****! I totally forgot Krystal! She was one of my most wanted newcomers in Smash 4. Ultimate too, to an extent, but it seems Smash is trying to focus on third party additions, which I wholeheartedly love.
Octoling also slipped my mind due to being gender swappable.

KatKit

Smash Lord
With MvC2, MvC3/UMvC3, and both Project X Zone games under her belt, Jill seems like Capcom's main Resident Evil go-to for crossovers. That and her game came first. I think it's safe to say that she wouldn't be the alt/echo in the equation. Just saying. And this is coming from a pretty big Leon fan.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

With MvC2, MvC3/UMvC3, and both Project X Zone games under her belt, Jill seems like Capcom's main Resident Evil go-to for crossovers. That and her game came first. I think it's safe to say that she wouldn't be the alt/echo in the equation. Just saying. And this is coming from a pretty big Leon fan.
It's preeettttyyy obvious that I'm a Morrigan supporter but imo Jill should still be the better choice due to the bigger franchise. Morrigan would probably be on par with Corrin in terms of salt. I swear if Morrigan does get into Smash, everyone will be out for my blood.:(

Still, Jill Valentine could be a worthy rep. In fact, I'd almost imagine her being just as campy as Snake!

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Yeah, I know Leon is the face of RE4, probably one of the most influential games of the last 15 years since it started the "over the shoulder perspective third-person-shooter", but I think he would be Jill's echo, rather than Jill being Leon's echo.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
As more time passes, the more I'm alone on this request, but ever since Melee I wanted Lyn as a character.
Also, the pretty obscure Miria, from The Guardian Legend would be absolutely incredible.
And don't hate me because I love mechs, but D.Va is very welcome.
Finally my monkey girl Dixie is one of the few Nintendo allstars missing.

BTW, really nice thread. I'd love seeing most of your suggestions coming true.
I would have loved to see Lyn. I'm not big on Lucina or Chrom's inclusion. As someone who's only played old Fire Emblem games she seemed like a worthy choice. Shame the Fire Emblem floodgates didn't open sooner. Project M had intended on releasing her, at one point. Not sure if that build is floating around anywhere.

On an unrelated note, it's good to see this thread has had a positive conversation thus far. I would hate for an admin to move it to... the Serious Discussion Forum.

:201u:

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
It's preeettttyyy obvious that I'm a Morrigan supporter but imo Jill should still be the better choice due to the bigger franchise. Morrigan would probably be on par with Corrin in terms of salt. I swear if Morrigan does get into Smash, everyone will be out for my blood.:(

Still, Jill Valentine could be a worthy rep. In fact, I'd almost imagine her being just as campy as Snake!
I think The Huntress is another likely Capcom rep, but I'm down for Morrigan, too (she's my main in Darkstalkers and every Capcom Vs title). Don't worry if it'd make some people salty or not; she has a good chunk of fans and (more importantly) the exposure might help bring back Darkstalkers.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I can’t really complain about any of the DLC as of now. All of them - Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, and Terry - have been good and worthy additions.

Though any of the female DQ protagonists would’ve been nice. And if we get RE without Jill, when Sakurai always goes for the OG, then hoo boy

D

Deleted member

I would have loved to see Lyn. I'm not big on Lucina or Chrom's inclusion. As someone who's only played old Fire Emblem games she seemed like a worthy choice. Shame the Fire Emblem floodgates didn't open sooner. Project M had intended on releasing her, at one point. Not sure if that build is floating around anywhere.

On an unrelated note, it's good to see this thread has had a positive conversation thus far. I would hate for an admin to move it to... the Serious Discussion Forum.

:201u:
And I couldn't be more happier. I mean, what's so bad about the Serious Discussion Forum?

Also, if this were in Reddit/Facebook, this topic would've got downvoted to hell. I mean, it's great to find that there are some people who have the same mindset as me.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I can’t really complain about any of the DLC as of now. All of them - Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, and Terry - have been good and worthy additions.

Though any of the female DQ protagonists would’ve been nice. And if we get RE without Jill, when Sakurai always goes for the OG, then hoo boy
Cloud was the seventh. Joker was the fifth. Sakurai seems to pick the most popular characters of a franchise, not the first protagonists.
As much as I support female characters, Leon is the most popular Resident Evil character, so he'd be the main choice. But Jill could easily get in as an echo or a costume.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
And I couldn't be more happier. I mean, what's so bad about the Serious Discussion Forum?

Also, if this were in Reddit/Facebook, this topic would've got downvoted to hell. I mean, it's great to find that there are some people who have the same mindset as me.
I was joking, mostly. Just that it seems like another realm to someone who focuses on solely Smash-related things. I damn near forgot it existed.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Cloud was the seventh. Joker was the fifth. Sakurai seems to pick the most popular characters of a franchise, not the first protagonists.
As much as I support female characters, Leon is the most popular Resident Evil character, so he'd be the main choice. But Jill could easily get in as an echo or a costume.
Leon being chosen over Jill (or Chris) isn't as clear-cut as Cloud, however. And protagonists in Resident Evil stick around longer and rotate, unlike Persona. Due to the amount of games/crossover cameos/appearances on Nintendo consoles, Jill seems like the logical conclusion. If both were in the game and one was an Echo, it'd be Leon since she chronologically appeared before him. Aside from that, according to Yoshiaki Hirabayashi, a remake of RE3 may be underway, so Jill could be a promotional pick as well.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Nah Leon is more popular & RE4 was a HUGE game on GameCube & Introduced many nintendo fans to resident evil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom