• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

#UltimateDLCSoMale: The Female DLC Character Discussion

Should we have at least one female newcomer in the DLC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Just stopping by to remind everyone to play nice.

There are some posts I'm reading that really toe the line of what's acceptable here. Remember: don't insult, don't make harsh generalizations meant to provoke, and if an argument is going nowhere, just drop it.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I'd say that we're back to square one with a new FP. There's no pattern or anything that anybody can use to draw conclusive evidence for/against.

Anybody and Everybody can get in.

C'mon Quote/Dante/Crash. Don't let me down...

Kayakoscep

Smash Rookie
We've been over this time and time again, and debunked this sh** so many times I'm too tired of explaining it at this point.

I think that sums it up pretty well. Sad how often I have to use this.
Yes i'm sure you all want some females characters and nothing is wrong with that, but the fact some people are vague and ask just for more "female representation" tends us to think it's more about the gender and not even about the character.

Because there are tons more game that are male majority than the other way around.
Yes and no,
The fact that there are so many mens in the history of video games does not create the frustration that women can have. On the other hand, it's absolutely not a valid argument, precisely if we don't say anything about a fighting game (or any other game) with a majority of women, it's maybe because we don't care about the gender ratio, playing a character regardless of his gender doesn't bother us any more than that and that's precisely not what's going to prevent us from loving a game or from playing it.

Most people are not satisfied by Mii Fighters, and if you don't understand, that's fine, but other feels differently about representation and identification.
I don't care about mii fighters, I don't search to identify myself to a character, I just say the mii are obviously the best choice for people who search a way to identify themself to a video game character, you can create a replica of yourself with the tone of your voice, your face, your skin color, the moveset you like the most. So yeah I don't buy the identification argument, especially when many of the desired characters have totally different personalities and it would be hard to identify with them.

Because there are already far more male characters that they can identify with than the other way around.
I'll stop you right there because not everyone identifies themself with video game characters, by the way it's a totally personal comment, but I've never identified myself with anyone in the video game world. But well you can easily understand my point of view, it's definitely not every gamers who identifies with a particular character and besides that's another personal remark but I don't think that's the case for a majority of people, then I could be wrong.

And no, I don't think that identifying with a character is stupid or not important for people because I can already see that argument coming.

TLDR;

I've never said or pretended not to understand why some people want female characters and I'm going to repeat myself because there must be some misunderstanding but I don't have anything against a person who wants SPECIFIC characters, but on the other hand some people just wants "a female character" without elaborating particularly on their subject or simply saying "oh yes this character would be nice, this one too, oh yes this character is cool" and who is clearly undecided clearly shows that the only thing he/she wants is a women character and this is an hypocrite attitude. Again, I don't care about people who want specific character, but you can't deny some people want a female character for bad reasons, it can be sex appeal, it can just be because "it's a women" and it's not a respectful attitude towards the community of characters behind it because in other words, you can translate this kind of intention like this: I don't know your licence, I've never played your game, I don't give a **** about the character's universe but I want her because she's a woman.

I hope you understand me clearly because my english is not even good and I have spend a lot of time in translator and fixing the game reference.

Just stopping by to remind everyone to play nice.

There are some posts I'm reading that really toe the line of what's acceptable here. Remember: don't insult, don't make harsh generalizations meant to provoke, and if an argument is going nowhere, just drop it.
don't know if it have a link with me, sorry if I have done something or said something wrong, I'm not here to troll or be provocative and I just want to talk about my point of view, if something is not correct, please, correct me

Last edited:

MastaMario

Smash Rookie
Exactly A game isn't about the gender of the characters and that they need to add a certain amount of said gender that's not the right way to think.

If the character is fun to play, is a great representation of it's origins and it deserves a spot to be in smash than it doesnt matter if it's a girl or a guy. if it's a good character it's a good character gender should not matter.

Nobody is complaining about the cast in smash 64 melee or brawl. The games and the characters where great that's all that matters a game that people played for fun in the past.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
There's a big difference between "there's a lot of cool female characters I'd like to see," and "I'd like to see more female regardless of who they are." I'm fine with the first one. The second one is more problematic.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm pretty unsure of what to think about supporting, but this will still be a platform for female character discussion.

D

Deleted member

I overall like more female characters than male characters.

That makes me weeb trash?
That doesn't actually. Not everyone who supports them are full-fledged ones. Case in point, Lara Croft.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Warning Issued
>>Imagine having someone in your friendlist.
Imagine being friends with a radical nazi woman named Lesley who cries to the mods but also trolls other threads and gets away with it.

ANYWAY, I personally would like a woman character in smash. I think more would be nice. Elma would be a top character contender for me.

D

Deleted member

Imagine being friends with a radical nazi woman named Lesley who cries to the mods but also trolls other threads and gets away with it.

ANYWAY, I personally would like a woman character in smash. I think more would be nice. Elma would be a top character contender for me.
For the record, the only thread I ever got caught trolling was the Geno thread and nothing more, thank you.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
>Imagine unfriending someone for telling you to hype responsibly.
It was a bit more than that. She also disapproved of my lifestyle. I do not wish to go into details of my personal life publicly, so I will leave it at that.
Do I think Lesley overreacted? Yes.
Do I forgive her? Yes.
Am I sad that she left me? Absolutely. After 1700+ messages, one tends to develop a bond.
Does she owe me an apology? No. Not really. Ultimately, she's free to her own standards. If she dislikes me because my feet are ugly, that's her right, no matter how silly I or others might find it.
Please be nicer and do not speak ill of someone if you do not know their story.
MAYBE I'll open up to one or two people about the deeper details of the situation, but I have no intention of compromising my own privacy nor Lesley's.
Uncalled for.

But on the topic of female fighters, I genuinely hope that Crash Bandicoot comes with an Echo of Coco, as she fits that exact role in the N. Sane Trilogy.

D

Deleted member

I wanna say I wish Jill Valentine wasn’t a Spirit, but…what if they used a completely different render for her Fighter Spirit?
That's a point being made by the fans of Geno, Rex, etc.

I'm just chilling here hoping for third parties but if they ever get revealed that would be very awesome.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
That's a point being made by the fans of Geno, Rex, etc.

I'm just chilling here hoping for third parties but if they ever get revealed that would be very awesome.
What other render of Rex would they choose, though?
The dude has only one artwork where he's featured alone. And the other one is a spoiler. Although we know that Smash doesn't care about these.

Maybe they get Saitom (the artist of the XC2 artworks and if you aren't into more lewd stuff, I wouldn't look up their works) to draw one more, but I really rule Rex and therefore also Pyra/Mythra out.

I don't know if Lora from the XC2 DLC has a spirit in Smash. She might be a good candidate.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't know if Lora from the XC2 DLC has a spirit in Smash. She might be a good candidate.
But Sakurai always had the policy of having the main characters first so...

1/26/2020

I have now created a new thread that will continue to support female characters. Since I'm no longer in control of this thread, might as well make a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Troykv

Smash Master
But Sakurai always had the policy of having the main characters first so...

1/26/2020

I have now created a new thread that will continue to support female characters. Since I'm no longer in control of this thread, might as well make a new one.
Do you have a link Lesley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom