• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
But that's the English version, isn't it? Everywhere else it's "Artoria". Are we to assume that the characters we search for the google ad thing must be the precise and localized names of the fighters? Regardless, it's all just one big rumor anyway.
Well, EU shares the NA server, if Art---Altria would be marketed to a EU crowd, she'd be using her localized name.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
my main sticking point?

View attachment 219183

google ads are ****ing expensive, man

after grinch leak i don't doubt the stupid extremes people are willing to go, but this guy has been running four simultaneous ads for over 3 days now

that's a costly prank
>Assuming that Smash fans aren't willing to go to stupid extremes for **** like this

download (2).jpeg

D

Deleted member

I see. Well, I just really hope Erdrick makes it.

And not just for my own sake, but yours as well.
You and me both buddy, Sure I would prefer Geno but since we probably won't get him I would at least like to get Erdrick cause not only does he have legitimate reasons for his inclusion like his franchises legacy but also cause I don't want my account to be banished to the shadow realm.

Plus I imagine that if he's in Sakurai is dying to present his favorite franchise in Smash, Or at least I recall Sakurai saying that DQ is one of if not his favorite franchise.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Well, EU shares the NA server, if Art---Altria would be marketed to a EU crowd, she'd be using her localized name.
Hmmm, and given this only currently works in the EU, then perhaps? What about Hayabusa, Doom Slayer, and Banjo? Any European variances to their names?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
>Assuming that Smash fans aren't willing to go to stupid extremes for **** like this

View attachment 219195
i mean, as i said--yeah. grinch leak casts everything after it into doubt because there's always someone who will 'go that far'.

it's just that where grinch leak was clearly a lot of time spent on the creator's part, this is a stupid amount of money. if we assume the default price of £22/day for 4 ads over 3 days so far, they've already spent £264. the grinch leak was a hundred times more believable, but for something as inane as 'google ads that vaguely match keywords', this guy is going ****ing in.

Shroob

Sup?
Hmmm, and given this only currently works in the EU, then perhaps? What about Hayabusa, Doom Slayer, and Banjo? Any European variances to their names?
I mean, that kinda kills the idea there. She'd be marketed as Altria in the EU since that's her 'English' name.

Altria isn't anywhere close to Artorias unlike something like Artoria.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

View attachment 219195
I didn't see the new Grinch Movie, but for all of it's fault and from what I heard off, the Grinch Leak Saga was probably a better story than the one in the actual movie they released.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh, and on the topic of the leak I was reading a bit of info about it on /v/, apparently there is someone on the discord who is trying to convince people its real:
>"One thing worth noting, that the "Lou" person t hat first brought it up in the Genos server, did so as their first message in the channel merely 10 minutes after joining the Discord."
>same suspicious discord dude trying to convince people's it's real

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I mean, that kinda kills the idea there. She'd be marketed as Altria in the EU since that's her 'English' name.

Altria isn't anywhere close to Artorias unlike something like Artoria.
Welp, checked the others to see if their names had any variances for Europe exclusively, and it's the same, so your statement checks out.

At this point, I'm just curious at what two characters we could potentially get for E3. Nothing to do with any leaks or rumors we know of so far, but what the official selection announcement could bring us within that time frame. We need a customary Bingo card within the next three weeks!

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So from my understanding Artorias is supposed to be a Dark Souls boss right?

I've seen people make the Piranha Plant comparison of putting in an enemy goon in because they could have an interesting moveset, but I think the difference there is that Mario was already in the roster when PP got added.

He'd be breaking "protagonists first" rule, which would mean yet another fan rule broken. I do love seeing fan rules be broken, but hm...this one might be a bit much.

As always I'm skeptical but intrigued. I'll wait and see how it turns out. But as someone who really doubts Banjo, a Banjo Kazooie reveal might be able to sell me on this. Might.

...Now that I think about it, if the theory is that the "b" in "brave" is supposed to alliterate with "Banjo", wouldn't it make more sense for his codename to be "bear"? Just a thought.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
>"One thing worth noting, that the "Lou" person t hat first brought it up in the Genos server, did so as their first message in the channel merely 10 minutes after joining the Discord."
to play devil's advocate here, he might have stumbled upon it and joined the discord to try and give it some attention/investigation. he's also completely correct that the ad message is randomized--here's what i got from two searches of artorias alone.

1557652626839.png

1557652746134.png

i agree that the circumstances surrounding its discovery are odd at best, and the biggest thing going against it, but this randomisation is also an interesting point. this doesn't seem to fit the capabilities of faked ads imitating the real one.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Oh, and on the topic of the leak I was reading a bit of info about it on /v/, apparently there is someone on the discord who is trying to convince people its real:
>same suspicious discord dude trying to convince people's it's real
That's going right back to my theory.

The first person to bring attention to something like this is always the most suspicious one.

NO ONE noticed this until this guy brought attention to it. And no one even knows who this guy is.

It's a case of:

"Hey guys. Found this weird thing online. What do you think?"

D

Deleted member

I've seen people make the Piranha Plant comparison of putting in an enemy goon in because they could have an interesting moveset, but I think the difference there is that Mario was already in the roster when PP got added.

He'd be breaking "protagonists first" rule, which would mean yet another fan rule broken. I do love seeing fan rules be broken, but hm...this one might be a bit much.

As always I'm skeptical but intrigued. I'll wait and see how it turns out. But as someone who really doubts Banjo, a Banjo Kazooie reveal might be able to sell me on this. Might.

...Now that I think about it, if the theory is that the "b" in "brave" is supposed to alliterate with "Banjo", wouldn't it make more sense for his codename to be "bear"? Just a thought.
The aliterate theory is kinda busted with Arsene's codename being Doyle in the code. Plus bear would be easy to guess.

I have the feeling that given the codenames for Joker and Arsene are kept, they are going to stay with the character after reveal so in my opinion I feel that the name would have to at least be somewhat relevant to the character.
to play devil's advocate here, he might have stumbled upon it and joined the discord to try and give it some attention/investigation. he's also completely correct that the ad message is randomized--here's what i got from two searches of artorias alone.

View attachment 219196
View attachment 219197

i agree that the circumstances surrounding its discovery are odd at best, and the biggest thing going against it, but this randomisation is also an interesting point. this doesn't seem to fit the capabilities of faked ads imitating the real one.
If I'm being honest, I think that's the best thing going for it. But the whole circumstances regarding it seem suspicious, and it could just be a dude taking advantage of people's ignorance on the topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

I mean, in Artorias' defense, it's a pretty well-known boss character for the series. Just look into Soul Calibur requests for similarities and you'll see that Nightmare's a popular choice despite Siegfried, Mitsurugi, Sophitia, Kilik, and Xianghua having protagonistic roles across the franchise.

Shroob

Sup?
My own timeline of events, assuming this guy is the culprit:

Guy with disposable income decides "**** it, Nintendo uploaded a hidden video to their Smash playlist, so the Smash fans will believe anything"

Buys the ads.

Appears on PapaGenos' Discord server with the tried and true:

"Found weird thing online" approach.

At this point, he either had Artorias already alongside the other 3, or decided right then and there when someone thought about searching for Artoria(Fate).

And that's it, really.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
comparing the real joker ad and the 'leaked' fighter's pass ad, actually, there are two things that don't add up.
  1. the real Joker ad doesn't randomise its order. the discord guy drawing attention to this as an 'oddity' therefore reads like him trying to explain an error/quirk of google adsense he has no control over. on further testing, this isn't quite true. however, the joker ad seems to only swap 'New fighters - day 1' and 'Just £22.49', whereas the leaked ad seems more variable in what gets put where.
  2. the title format is completely different, even if we consider that one is specifically for joker and the other for the fighter's pass in general.

Joker
1557653385289.png

Leak
1557653492038.png

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I just wanna say, I'm proud of how skeptical (and civil) people are being about this rumor. We really did learn from the Grinch days.

I'll enjoy this while it lasts, because we all know that this isn't going to last. Just like how people forgot about the Omni leak before people will forget about the Grinch again when Smash 6 speculation rolls around and we find another weird "leak" with several fan favorite characters.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
actually, disregard my point about joker's randomization entirely. it's just as unpredictable as the other four characters, and the fact that the effect is replicated in the leaked ads makes me lean a little more towards real than before.

1557653885866.png

if i'm honest, i also find it interesting that there are multiple language variants for the ads. that's not something google does for you as a courtesy; that's more individual ads you have to set up and pay for to target different locations. that's four ads per location (possibly more to replicate the randomization effect), set up to multiple european locations and all imitating each location's language.

at this point, you start to wonder just how much ****ing money this guy has.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm still incredibly skeptical since the guy appeared from nowhere.

And here's the thing.

He finds this HUGE leak that reveals the last 4 characters.

And what does he do?

He doesn't go to Gamefaqs

Or Reddit

Or even 4chan

He goes to the Discord of a well known Smashtuber who's covered leaks in the past.

And only he knows the correct way to see the ads.

If he had been a member of Papa's Discord before, it'd be one thing, but he joined literally 10 minutes before he posted this.

If you were some rando and just stumbled upon this, why would you single out a specific Youtuber to get in contact with and not, you know, Reddit/4chan for your instant fame?

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
As always, it may not be just 1 guy, it may be a group of people (so, more money).

I'm not sure if this is fake or real, though even if the ads are real and Nintendo uploaded them, it's still possible that they mean nothing.
The ads don't reveal the names of the newcomers, the ads only appear when you search a specific combination of words (and not even all the times), but it isn't mandatory that those characters will be playable. Who knows, maybe it's just a huge coincidence in the Google algorithm.

Also, the fact that the ad appears only when searching that specific character with that specific combination of words is super suspicious. As I said, the point of advertising is to promote your product. If only a few people will see the ad because it requires a precise combination of words in order to appear, it's just wasted money.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
If Artorias DOES make it into Smash Bros - I'm going to be curious to see how the fanbase decides to portray his character. Will he protect Isabelle and thinking she's a canine like Sif; Will the Fire Emblem characters see him as a rival - akin to someone like the Black Knight? That'll be another fun part of (possibly) seeing someone like Artorias interacting with the Nintendo universe.

However, I'm not going to lose sleep if all this doesn't come to fruition and this is just a rumour that we're playing along with and look back on whenever people want to reminisce or read the Rumours page on SmashWiki over and over again... or procrastinate.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I see I was the only person to vote for Wademan94 Wademan94 on the poll. I'm just trying to help a friend out, okay...

Anyway, what's this I hear about another fake leak?
Apparently in Europe's ads on Google - searching various character names apparently gives an ad for the Smash Bros Fighter Pass, implicating the presence of these characters. The implicated characters are:
Artorias the Abysswalker (Dark Souls), Banjo & Kazooie, Doom Slayer, Ryu Hayabusa, Joker (though as we all know - Joker is indeed available now.)

Curiously, Artorias is the one that's drawn the most attention since it seems to be completely out of the blue - the other characters are already heavily discussed in relation to the previous 4chan rumour or heavily speculated upon otherwise.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Can someone please sum up what happened?

I see some Dark Souls character and I'm all sorts of confused.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Can someone please sum up what happened?

I see some Dark Souls character and I'm all sorts of confused.
TL:DR: A leak involving Google add say that Artorias from Dark Soul, Banjo, Doom Slayer & Ryu Hayabusa will be the next DLC characters, however, most peoples here are skeptic about it.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
So, my question is...

Who is this guy and why would he be chosen over the main character?
As people have pointed out:

MC is basically a blank slate, blanker than Villager or even Miis.

It'd either be this guy or Solaire(Praise the Sun) dude.

I don't know Dark Souls, at all, but he's a guy who's important to the lore and appears on the "Prepare to Die" version's box art.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
About money, what if...
Assuming that the ads are fake and someone paid to upload them:
The person/s has/have a Youtube channel where they discuss leaks, they get money from that, so they invested some money for the ads but they will gain more from views?

They may be the same people behind the Grinch leak and maybe even some other leaks.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, this is just an hypotetical scenario I'm thinking of, I'm not even sure if the ads thing is real or fake yet.
What do you think?

Shroob

Sup?
About money, what if...
Assuming that the ads are fake and someone paid to upload them:
The person/s has/have a Youtube channel where they discuss leaks, they get money from that, so they invested some money for the ads but they will gain more from views?

They may be the same people behind the Grinch leak and maybe even some other leaks.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, this is just an hypotetical scenario I'm thinking of, I'm not even sure if the ads thing is real or fake yet.
What do you think?
Thing is, there really aren't that many 'BIG' Smash leak channels that would fit that description.

LaxChris is basically dead in the water, and the only other person is PapaGenos, and all evidence points to no on that one.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
So, my question is...

He is a really popular boss/character in Dark Souls 1, being on the cover of the "Prepare to Die" version of the game, and he is one of the most recognizable character of the franchise after Solaire. (The sun dude who got a Amiibo).

As for why he chosen over the MC, it be probably because the MC is a avatar who doesn't have real personality, annnd the fact imo we have too much avatar character as of now, so I feel like a character more popular would be chosen over just the MC.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So, my question is...

While I can attest I've never played any Dark Souls game to completion (Ran away after getting to the Vordt of the Boreal Valley in Dark Souls 3 pls don't bully), Artorias seems to be a pretty important character to the backstory of Dark Souls 1, and is the major enemy of his own expansion for Dark Souls 1 - Artorias of the Abyss. From the most parts of what I've learned from him - he was pretty much a former hero who fought against the Abyss in its early days - long before the start of the main game. But by the time you meet him, he's become a slave to the Abyss itself, and no longer the hero he once was.

In combat, he wields a massive greatsword and only fights one-handed, since his main left hand is lame, but even then he's incredibly powerful. He's easily comparable to Guts from Berserk in terms of character traits - wolf motif, fights with brutal and animalistic... He also can throw dark sludge of the abyss (I'm assuming) as an attack, and has a few signature attacks, such as a jumping drop smash, and a spinning overhead slash.

Kinda ninja'd a little bit, but either way, there's potential for Artorias to stand out amongst most other swordfighters - I can envision him as an extremely powerful heavyweight sword fighter like Ike or Ganondorf - powerful smash attacks and specials, but somewhat sluggish while also having decent defensive abilities like parries or rolls.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I've heard of Solaire. He even got an amiibo.

Why is this other guy even a candidate?
Well, like said before, he's arguably one of the most popular Dark Souls characters to the point his image is what's on the definitive version of 1's(Prepare to Die) cover.

It'd be weird to not have the MC of a series sure, but also look at how many people want someone like Nightmare over Sigfried.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
t'd be weird to not have the MC of a series sure, but also look at how many people want someone like Nightmare over Sigfried.
To be fair.

Nightmare and Heihachi are the mascots of their franchise.

I don't think Abysswalker fits that criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom