• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Man, y'all really didn't want to ask me questions.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
I don't know if anyone's brought this up, and I'm still out of the loop with Three Houses, but Jeremy Jahns, arguably one of the most prominent movie reviewers on YouTube, actually covered the game in a recent video and gave it high praise. It's just interesting that he reviewed something I originally thought was out of his radar, despite him covering some video games in the past.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
i like how the morality of TH characters provokes actual discussion with no clear answer when just two games ago garon was a thing
I legitimately can't remember what garon was trying to do

was he even trying to do anything besides take over hoshido and be evil

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
more like "Grey your piece is really good and I've had my comments unresolved for a week can you please finish it goddammit"

though also, who's your favorite fire emblem character
Answer #1:
I had to work over my weekend because one of our mover guys fractured his ankle and I still had a deadline to meet for my channel that I pulled an all-nighter for Sunday. Today's my first day that I've been able to breathe in a week so it'll be done after work today.

Answer #2:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Answer #1:
I had to work over my weekend because one of our mover guys fractured his ankle and I still had a deadline to meet for my channel that I pulled an all-nighter for Sunday. Today's my first day that I've been able to breathe in a week so it'll be done after work today.

Answer #2:
yay! i'll be around tonight for editing and answering questions.

also wait, can't tell if that's Anna or not, lol.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I don't know if anyone's brought this up, and I'm still out of the loop with Three Houses, but Jeremy Jahns, arguably one of the most prominent movie reviewers on YouTube, actually covered the game in a recent video and gave it high praise. It's just interesting that he reviewed something I originally thought was out of his radar, despite him covering some video games in the past.
MEDIA
Yo, I love Jeremy

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

fates' "complex morality" be like

"corrin, burn down the orphanage, slit the puppies' throats, and litter all over their streets"

1565723077443.png

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

He was
corrupted by Anankos after accepting his offer for more power. Essentially the big bad of the game was living through him.

Kinda gets rid of any sort of moral argument for Nohr.

Hoshido: We have to stop the evil king Garon!
Nohr: We have to stop our evil king Garon!
Revelation: We have to stop the reason why there's an evil king Garon!

yay! i'll be around tonight for editing and answering questions.

also wait, can't tell if that's Anna or not, lol.
It's Severa from Awakening. Or Selena from Fates.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
i like how the morality of TH characters provokes actual discussion with no clear answer when just two games ago garon was a thing
I guess Fates was a testing ground on playing both sides of a war but they made the non-Japanese leader cartoonishly evil when the rest of the plot is trying to make things shades of grey.

Three Houses does have an unambiguously evil side but
they work under the Adrestian Empire in most storylines.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I guess Fates was a testing ground on playing both sides of a war but they made the non-Japanese leader cartoonishly evil when the rest of the plot is trying to make things shades of grey.

Three Houses does have an unambiguously evil side but
they work under the Adrestian Empire in most storylines.
so basically the themes of the three different routes are:

View attachment 234570

...wait a minute
Fates & TMS were actually both testing ground so that IS could create the ultimate FE X Persona crossover.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
"Alright Gilbert, what quest you have for me today?"

"hey, can you give some nice flower to Hubert? Thanks"

"..."

"What?"

"...you know he isn't on our side anymore, right?"

For real, is this a glitch or a mistranslation on the French Team? Does anyone here who played BL can help me on that?

EDIT: wait, I found it, it's a mistranlation, but only on the paper quest, the notification does say to give to Gilbert, not Hubert.

Still big oof on the translation team.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Where do you get these
Are you commissioning them for the sole purpose of ****posting because if so I admire the dedication to the craft
no, mythra sent it to me and i have no idea where he found it

****post images like edelgard baboom and the kasumichu that isn't my avatar just seem to fall into my lap without me needing to lift a finger

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
"Alright Gilbert, what quest you have for me today?"

"hey, can you give some nice flower to Hubert? Thanks"

"..."

"What?"

"...you know he isn't on our side anymore, right?"

For real, is this a glitch or a mistranslation on the French Team? Does anyone here who played BL can help me on that?
I've never seen this

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I've never seen this
It's on the paper where Gilbert explain the sidequest "Flowal Tribute" in Chapter 18.

It is a error, as the notif on the left tell you to give the flowers to Gil, not Hubert, but this is still a weird mess-up, don't know if it's then English version tho. (I'm playing in French if you're curious)

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Are Gauntlets really this broken at Three Houses?
I finished Chapter 7 and Rapheal was doing 27 damage four times against every other unit, the guy was a walking nuke.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
It's on the paper where Gilbert explain the sidequest "Flowal Tribute" in Chapter 18.

It is a error, as the notif on the left tell you to give the flowers to Gil, not Hubert, but this is still a weird mess-up, don't know if it's then English version tho. (I'm playing in French if you're curious)
Yeah, it's not in the English version

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Are Gauntlets really this broken at Three Houses?
I finished Chapter 7 and Rapheal was doing 27 damage four times against every other unit, the guy was a walking nuke.
gauntlets are so powerful because they deal a guaranteed two strikes per 'attack' and have equal crit chance for each strike, and both strikes go before the counterattack

you can easily crit an enemy to death before they have a chance to strike back

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
thats just it, you CANT get Ferdinands B support because its post time skip. It locks you out of supports if you arent far enough in the game, example, not at the timeskip yet. Once you get to the timeskip, you can get his B but by then, you cant recruit him anyway
Right.

It sucks I missed out on two paralogues, kinda annoyed, but it's not enough to make me run it all again lol.

I'll just wait for all the DLC to come out and while I'm doing the new story content I'll be sure to not **** up anything.

Last wave says "by April 2020"... this is going to be a long wait.

So while my spoiler to follow is pretty lengthy, by no means should you take this as me, "telling you so!" I just really like Edelgard as a character and love discussing the story of the game.
Certainly, some aspects of the means that Edelgard uses are questionable. Even her Battle of Eagle and Lion interaction with Dimitri is harsh, if you ask me. It absolutely makes her ambition strong, but to someone who isn't there to see her develop, questionable. If they weren't, the decision to join her at the end of Chapter 11 would be too easy to make; as in, the Church gets your support if it were that easy.

That said, I would argue the actual villain is the Church, who you may replace at the end of the others, but still remains in power. This is something that Edelgard seeks to end. This seems clear to me because of a few reasons...or maybe more than a few:

1) Jeralt specifically (at least in the BE route, I haven't played the others...simply read about them) tells you that he doesn't trust Rhea, and he eventually flees in order to escape her influence. This is also something that Rhea hides from the others involved with the church, and Byleth. It's manipulative, and her goal to effectively coax you to continue her legacy. Make no mistake, Fodlan is literally led by a mix of Church and State, and Rhea wants it to remain that way, no matter who she has to crush or silence to make sure it happens. (In addition, despite her "motherly" demeanor toward you in the story, she uses Byleth as nothing more than a tool, if her reaction to the player siding with Edelgard is anything to go by. It is a facade only to be, potentially, altered to be more genuine later on if the player sides with the Church, which is what Rhea seeks: control over her "experiment")

1.5) Sure, the Dragons gave humanity their power and a gift so that they may exist in harmony. That does not, despite what some people may say, excuse the exploitation of the system and oppression it causes. The only reason I mention this is because I've seen some folks say, "How could you kill Rhea? She and the dragons provided so much for Humanity!" While this may be true, it doesn't mean that humans must take the oppression of those who bring them "peace and freedom" if it is no "peace and freedom" at all.

2) Rhea rules with an iron fist. She sends students of the Monastery to go out and crush those who might go against the church. This is also done in order to "send a message" to the students to never move against the church. It's basically fear mongering, meant to discourage those who may think differently from rising up and making change.

3) In the BE route, Edelgard (and Hubert) both have regrets about siding with Those who Slither in the Dark, but it is an alliance they needed to create in order to succeed. They operate as part of the system Edelgard seeks to destroy, but they cannot win a war with so many sides against them.

4) On top of that, Edelgard and Hubert start the war because, frankly, it's the only way to actually force change in Fodlan. Dimitri would not have started a war to change the status quo. Claude would not start a war to change the status quo. There is no way that Rhea would fold to a diplomatic discussion, as it is clear she favors her power and is not going to give it up so easily. The only way to actually begin to make change, to buck the reliance on Crests and the suffering it brings (especially to all of the students who suffer from it) (As a teacher myself, this is actually quite similar to how particular parts of the education system are structured, in that it isn't meant for students to make change, but rather, in some cases, learn and regurgitate information...which by all means keeps Rhea and the Church in power in the context of Three Houses. Again, Dimitri doesn't rise against that without the actions of Edelgard, for example.

5) It's clear throughout the story of the BE that Edelgard takes absolutely no joy in the war she started, as she not only says, "You didn't fight in vain!", in some fights against enemy soldiers during Part 2, but actively and vocally asks for her peers in war to live through to the other side so that they may enjoy the New Age of Fodlan together. Incidentally, she actually voices interest in not even ruling once the war is over. She doesn't even necessarily want to be a leader. In the BE route, it's not about the power. It's about change and justice.

6) While Edelgard does keep her actions a secret from you during the BE route as the Flame Emperor, she does indeed stand up to Thales and Kronya after they murder Jeralt. Whether that may be blamed on naivete of a young ruler-to-be for trusting these folks, who play tricks on her as well throughout the story or the fault of the system that failed her, and several other students, is up for debate. I've read that the information she claims to believe, such that Nemesis was falsely portrayed as evil, is misguided and was told to her by Those Who Slither, which I attribute to naivete, and confirmation bias on her part. That, I disagree with.

7) Another aspect I find people give flak to Edelgard for is the fact that she didn't try a diplomatic approach, but I don't see how that's at all feasible considering who we're talking about. Not only does she show her hand politically with what her intentions were, but if she suggests this idea to her professor, she risks getting talked out of it, or reported by those who may fear the idea. She can't go to Dimitri because she knows he despises her (for reasons he has been misled by, mind you), and therefore must oppose him. The Dimitri of the BE timeline effectively embraces sadness only for Dedue, but not much else. Yet, Edelgard still feels compassion for him, and through this compassion, ends his suffering by ending his life, as he has become blinded by revenge. Unfortunately, Dimitri could have gotten his revenge if he sided with Edelgard and took down Those who Slither, (though this is just like how Edelgard could have taken Dimitri's hand at the end of the BL route...though knowing her ambition, she would never be satisfied with the outcome Dimitri produced).

8) Not really a point in favor of anyone, but the outcome of the game is largely obviously determined by who the professor guides. Edelgard is a tragic story of unchecked ambition if Byleth doesn't side with her. This is basically similar to Daenerys Targaryen of GoT. She's absolutely fortified in her own resolve; but without guidance she can achieve little. As she has the most clear ambition of the three House Leaders, having the guidance of the professor allows her to achieve quite a bit, when combined.

Side note: I will say, I realize there's no "canon route". However, the way that Edelgard and the Black Eagles route are being pushed (one example: Edelgard evidently already has a Figma in development), it makes it seem that the developers see her path that way; or more directly "canon". I'd argue that her path being the distinctly different one, regardless of animated cutscene quality, suggests this as well. In addition to the fact that she is the only other bearer of the Fire Emblem, along with Byleth, it certainly seems as though this may be the "canon path". I can't objectively prove it, but those are my thoughts.

Whew. A mouthful, lads. I love when a story gets my brain working this way lol. Thanks to anybody who reads all that garbage.

Gentlepanda Gentlepanda and @Opossum , my fellow Black Eagle lads, did I miss anything?
This is all semantics of course, but I'd say that the Church can be bad (or rather, particularly, Rhea) and Edelgard still be bad or even worse. Good intentions are good, but they aren't enough to ensure you aren't a baddie. The Church has good motivations after all, and has collectively done far more good in their history than Edelgard has in her short life. If Rhea is indeed so much of a problem, the ones Edel should have been trying to assassinate is her, not Dimitri and Claude. Those who follow Rhea's orders can be accused of oppression and fear mongering, sure... but how can Edelgard be against that if her modus operandi for her ideal world is conquering people, forcing them to bend to her view or be executed. That's the same exact thing. So if we say the Church as a whole is villainous for those reasons, then what does that make Edelgard?

Whether she likes it or not means nothing to me. Speaking of what Jeralt says, I'll refer to what he told the Flame Emperor on this exact subject: "Your words are meaningless."

On the subject of why they started the war, I'm not going to say that we can reasonably believe that Rhea would have had her control taken without resistance*. HOWEVER, the way she started the war: the actions she had taken proceeding the claim as Flame Emperor, and the actions she DIDN'T take (attempts to peacefully transition together as separate peoples), resulted in the Kingdom, half the Alliance, and every Central Church follower all vehemently opposing her, even though both Dimitri and Claude, along with MANY of their House members, HATE crests, and have ideals for a better future themselves. If Rhea had initiated the conflict as Edelgard was trying to make the world better peacefully in concordance with the leaders of the Alliance and Kingdom, then not only would less blood have been shed since she could possibly not fight the entirety of Fodlan due to being in a more sympathetic position,, but it would be much harder to morally object to any bloody actions she takes for the sake of her ambitions from that point on as the player.

As for your side note on canon judgement, I'm towards the end of my Blue Lion run and WOW does it just make my first BE run, which I was most hyped for, seem incomplete and rushed. I have to totally disagree on this point. The time skip is an after thought in the Crimson Flower route, and is the only one to fail terribly in that regard out of the four. Crimson Flower then proceeds to have even fewer chapters than the rest. Compared to my Blue Lions run, there are far fewer connections explored between characters like Miklan, Gilbert, Lonato, Jeritza, Cornelia, Arundel (even get to kill the ******* in BL), even Edelgard herself concerning her relation to Dimitri. Learning about the tragedy of Duscur and who all these NPC baddies in all the routes is huge, and on a personal note, Dimitri's arc and Felix's fathers involvement hits harder than anything else in the other routes by far. The only great moment in Crimson Flower is the ending where Byleth's heart starts beating. I'd put it beneath Claude's as well, not just because of having a better time skip and more content, but also due to actually involving the fight against Those Who Slither in the Dark and even an exclusive bit: against Nemesis himself, the man in the opening cutscene, seen nowhere else.

*Footnote: However, I do believe Rhea steps down and is replaced by Byleth, and therefore it would have been possible to take power from her without signficant conflict, for her authority would be severely diminished.

Whew myself I guess haha. Your post certainly isn't garbage, and I too enjoy discussing stories and theoretical conflicts lol.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You know what I would love? A year of Fighting game crossover titles.

Mortal Kombat x Killer Instinct
Tekken X Street Fighter finally happening
Darkstalkers x SoulCalibur
Marvel vs Capcom 4
Capcom vs SNK 3
Dead or Alive x Virtua Fighter
BlazeBlue x Guilty Gear
Maybe even Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter
And the mother of all crossovers, Super Smash Bros x PlayStation All-Stars.

That would be an amazing year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom