• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Who in the world designed that one challenge where you have to beat 100 man Smash with Ken, but you can only use special moves? That was the most aggravating thing in Ultimate so far, especially since items and floor attacks count against you, so God forbid you accidentally hit a POW block that suddenly spawned in when you're in the middle of a Shoryuken. And even more irritating is that non Mii CPUs can pick up items, and heaven forbid they drop it on the battlefield, because one hit and it's back to the beginning.

Ugh, it took me hours to complete that. Especially since Shulk and Chrom spawned in in several of the games, so I had nothing to do against their range and (mainly Buster Shulk's) damage output.

Just ugh.
I did all of the challenges, and looking back at it...
I think I hammered that.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I am a fan of Crash Bandicoot, but why is he so likely all of a sudden?
A bunch of factors. The remastered Crash trilogy absolutely shot him back into the spotlight of gaming and brought up a lot of nostalgia for the character back up to the surface. He was undeniably a PS1 era mascot for Sony and the N' Sane trilogy has done what any third party game coming to Switch has done as of recent and inspired a whole bunch of people to push for him in Smash (See: Undertale, Doom, Skyrim, etc. for similar patterns). This has continued with the remake of Crash Team Racing that just came out and he seems to be in a bit of a renaissance as a character. We're also quickly checking off many third parties in Smash, and with Banjo Kazooie officially in the game, Western third parties definitely come to the table in a more serious manner. Especially another fellow 90s era platforming mascot.

Plus, we really need more Sony characters in the game so we can say we have not only the best Smash Bros game, but also the best Playstation All-Stars game lol.

speculation without any leaks honestly feels boring as hell
Nah, it's way better and full of so many possibilities. Even if some of them like companion theory are downright awful lol.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A third song so he can rub it in Cloud's face.
Nah Lloyd would get 15 so he can rub it in Cloud’s, Joker’s, Hero’s AND Banjo’s faces Kappa

and one of those songs is Ring a Bell

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hey y'all it's me again. Trip is almost coming to an end. Currently in Toronto staying for the night before returning home in the morning. Look forward to discussing with you all normal again.

Granted not before crashing upon coming home because no doubt I'll be exhausted from my trip.

SonicMario

Smash Master
My only concern about Crash actually comes a bit because of Banjo. I think it's definitely possible that Banjo did really well in the Smash Ballot because of how Phil Spencer gave his thoughts out at idea at the right time. And while I'm sure there were some people who voted for Crash then, at the time the ballot was going on. I believe it was before we even knew N. Sane Trilogy was happening. So at the time the ballot was happening it was when Crash was still a relatively dormant franchise and not in the public eye. If the ballot is still influencing DLC in some ways (Though I think a point in Crash's favor is that Joker likely wasn't a force in the ballot. Yet he was our very first DLC character for Ultimate) that could spell some trouble for the bandicoot. Though hopefully stuff like Activision collaborating with Nintendo on some things could still help him (Ex: The Skylanders Bowser and Donkey Kong stuff)

I think it's also possible while there wasn't one particular standout for a Dragon Quest character. That many of the Alts that make up The Hero were voted in decent numbers over in Japan. And Square decided to add a bit of their own flavor of marketing by making the newest protagonist the default.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
hgss progress:

kanto is my ***** now, here's my new to do list:

- grind the **** up to beat red
- get all the hidden **** accessible with rock climb
- catch some legendaries for memes
- beat red till hes red

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Okay, so my take on companiom theory: We're gonna get:
Deku with All Might (base form). All Might gibes Midoriya advice in the UA High stage, in a special taunt called Advice Might's
Goku with Krillin. Krillin gives him Senzus for a move
(That's all the anime I know lol)
Cream and Cheese. Cheese is OP and can't be destroyed
Crash and Aku Aku. Getting hit once kills Aku Aku, and sends Crash to 999% immediately.
E Gadd and Gooigi. Gooigi is a Luigi clone, but he acts on his own while the played controls E. Gadd.
Alucard and a familiar.
Isaac and a Djinn.
Sakurai and the Assist Trophy shadow realm Hard counters Isaac and Alucard.
Porky and Giygas and his robots
Mighty and Ray. Both just Sonic clones, but Smash 4 Sonic.
Jonesy and Thanos. Thanos can only be killed by the head.
John Wick and the Dog. John Wick can't die until the dog dies
The Fantastic 4 and bad movies
Spongebob and Patrick. Or Gary. Yep.
And last but not least, Gru and the Minions. The Minions actually take the playable role despite Gru being the one featured.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ah to heck with it, it’s grasping at straws but I’ll take a crack at the sidekick/mascot theory and make a list.

-Crash & Aku Aku
-Arle & Carbuncle
-Phoenix & Maya
-Spyro & Sparx

That’s all I got.
Edelgard and Hubert. :p

Ivander

Smash Legend
Ah yes with this new character I've rounded out my main group of weeb anime swordsmen from JRPGs originating in the 80's.

View attachment 228283
except you know, the other one.
No Jim from Hydlide. Uncultured swine...

The 80s RPG Weeb swordsman group isn't complete without Adol Christin.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
No Jim from Hydlide. Uncultured swine...

The 80s RPG Weeb swordsman group isn't complete without Adol Christin.
Adol Christin is in except he can only attack my moving toward the opponent at a slightly offset angle.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Tai won’t happen, he’s an anime original character, same way we don’t have Ash in Smash.

Although, I think Gabumon would work as a good companion.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Tai won’t happen, he’s an anime original character, same way we don’t have Ash in Smash.

Although, I think Gabumon would work as a good companion.
There's literally nothing stopping them from putting Ash in if they wanted to though. Nintendo fully owns the character.

Plus he's already mentioned in Smash in two separate instances.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
There's literally nothing stopping them from putting Ash in if they wanted to though. Nintendo fully owns the character.

Well, he was in Puzzle League and :ultlucario: technically debuted in a movie first.

*inb4 OMG GOKU HAS A CHANCE NOW*

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

He’s also technically canon to the games with the inclusion of the Alain reference in ORAS and the mention of him in the Sun and Moon demo. Which isn’t truly canon but it’s events aren’t out there to happen within the region itself

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to the various "theories". Not all are created equal, and some are crafted to support particular picks for Smash, as is much of Smash speculation.

Music theory was based on the idea that the music reveal schedule would signal particular series getting particular characters. This idea also suggested a larger set of newcomers compared to what we actually ended up getting. I would argue that's why a good number of people believed it.

Box Theory was effectively the opposite. This particular theory was not just based on leaks, but actual logic. Based on the layout of the box itself, it was believable that the two remaining highly speculated newcomers of the time, Ken and Incineroar, were the remaining two, especially when things lined up perfectly with Ken sliding in next to Ryu in order. That's probably one of the only concrete "theories" to exist imho.

Partner theory is pretty much a reach, considering the logic somewhat jokingly posted before being, "Oof, that character doesn't have a partner. We can't add them!" It's also interesting that the definition of "partner" changes depending on the character. Sure, Hero and Joker have Slime and Morgana respectively, but Kazooie isn't the same thing as Morgana and Slime. She's an active part of the moveset, far more than Morgana is, or Slime is poised to be.

I don't even know what other theories there are but the last one I'll talk about is more based on actual information, but could still be disconfirmed.

Mii Costume Theory is based on the concept that Mii Costumes will only be shown off in combination with a character getting revealed from the particular company missing Mii costumes are coming from. So for example, considering Hero comes from Square Enix, and there are still Mii costumes to be revealed that come from Square Enix like the Chocobo Hat and the Geno costume, then it's speculated that when fans get insight on the 4.0 update and further Hero information, the Square Enix Mii Fighter costumes would get revealed.

For the record, this is exactly what happened with Mii Fighter costumes that came from SEGA when Joker was revealed. Atlus is owned by SEGA, so that can be easily explained.

The Mii Fighter costume theory can easily be disconfirmed or disproven if costumes for any franchises/companies are revealed without a character reveal. So this could be something like Hero and 4.0 update, but in addition to Geno and the Chocobo hat, Mega Man X, Monster Hunter, and other Capcom franchises would be revealed as well.

However, it does stand to reason that if Hero is covered, as is 4.0, and only announces the release of Square Enix Mii Fighter costumes, the theory itself is bolstered a tad. If Banjo comes with the 5.0 update, which is accompanied by Banjo-Kazooie costumes, along with other Microsoft owned IP represented in this fashion, then I would say it looks pretty strongly supported.

As I said before, this can be easily squashed. But for the time being I think it's worth being considered. It just shouldn't necessarily dominate speculation.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
My only concern about Crash actually comes a bit because of Banjo. I think it's definitely possible that Banjo did really well in the Smash Ballot because of how Phil Spencer gave his thoughts out at idea at the right time. And while I'm sure there were some people who voted for Crash then, at the time the ballot was going on. I believe it was before we even knew N. Sane Trilogy was happening. So at the time the ballot was happening it was when Crash was still a relatively dormant franchise and not in the public eye. If the ballot is still influencing DLC in some ways (Though I think a point in Crash's favor is that Joker likely wasn't a force in the ballot. Yet he was our very first DLC character for Ultimate) that could spell some trouble for the bandicoot. Though hopefully stuff like Activision collaborating with Nintendo on some things could still help him (Ex: The Skylanders Bowser and Donkey Kong stuff)

I think it's also possible while there wasn't one particular standout for a Dragon Quest character. That many of the Alts that make up The Hero were voted in decent numbers over in Japan. And Square decided to add a bit of their own flavor of marketing by making the newest protagonist the default.
I wouldn't worry too much about the ballot. Ultimate had a fair amount of characters that also had nothing to with the ballot, so I think they're just kind of adding whoever they want at this point to appeal to all kinds of Smash fans. Plus, Joker had only been teased at the time of ballot and Persona 5 wouldn't come out until roughly a year and a half after the ballot ended. He likely had no presence whatsoever at the time and he's the best way to show that, "Hey, not everyone is coming from the ballot."

Plus, DLC would have been chosen more recently (presumably early 2018 from Sakurai's comments on the matter), which looks a lot better for Crash and several other characters.

D

Deleted member

You all upset me.
We get stinking Hero and Banjo-Kazooie, and you all vent about who is going to be the next character.
Geez. Can we all just celebrate Hero, Banjo-Kazooie and Ultimate instead please?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Companion theory has no merit. Even if it happens I won't believe till Sakurai states otherwise.

Color theory I think has merit. The theme was chosen based on their characters. Some wise guy in the team noticed it. They went with itsince it worked with the fighting pass they had.

Mii costume theory is solid as it stands. As above they could be strategically holding back costumes to correlate with a pack, and there is precedence with Joker and SEGA. It could fall apart, but right now it is a decent idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom