• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
"NOBODY WANTED DRAGON QUEST CONTENT WHY CAN'T SAKURAI LISTEN TO THE FANS?"
I mean. I never thought that nobody would want DQ content. I always knew that it was the most likely second Square character. The Mana and Crono series don’t have much draw to them, Sora is owned by Disney, and Geno is only asked for within the Smash community. Honestly, I never thought he’d make it in unless he was on the base roster. The only hope for him is if they do a second season pass and do another bonus character in between. They could even parody the Plant trailer for his reveal. But that’s all a BIG if as we have no clue if he will do a second season, and many signs point to no.
At this point, I don't care who gets in, as long as they aren't depressingly lame. I'm still hoping for Crash and Doomguy, but as long as the last 2 characters are remotely interesting or unique, I'm fine.
Crash and Dark Souls. I’m gonna keep emphasizing it. Hey, I might be wrong. It’s not like I have insider information. But, like what I said about Dragon Quest and Banjo before E3, they make the most sense when I try to think like Sakurai, or at least, what we can guess he thinks like from interviews and habit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Happy Happy Birthday @ShinyLegendary make it a good one my dude.

And Happy Belated Birthday to Yellowlord Yellowlord hope we get Yuri Lowell in Smash one of these days :)
Speaking of:

Do we all kinda unanimously agree that we're getting character 4 shown off during the September Direct?

Because otherwise, the only Direct left is the winter one, or TGA again, and I doubt we're going to get another 2-fer.

We could get a 'surprise' reveal via a "Final presentation" in Feb, but I think the winter Direct would be the final presentation.
Nope. I fully expect characters 4 & 5 to be revealed in a Final Smash Direct in December. I don't even think enough work has been done on them considering the team has been busy with Joker, DQ Hero, and Banjo-Kazooie in addition to Stage Builder & Home-Run Contest (data mined BTW).

It's more likely that characters 4 & 5 have only recently started development and won't be in a presentable state until December-ish hence why a double reveal is likely. I also believe it'll take that long because Boss Battles is going to be added back (like Brawl) with new bosses added in (a Minecraft boss like Verge hinted at).

I still believe we'll get "New Content Approaching" videos for both of the characters revealed here in both August (for Erdrick) and November (for Banjo). Maybe at the end of Banjo's overview video, we get an announcement for the December Final Smash Direct.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

And Happy Belated Birthday to Yellowlord Yellowlord hope we get Yuri Lowell in Smash one of these days :)
Nope. I fully expect characters 4 & 5 to be revealed in a Final Smash Direct in December. I don't even think enough work has been done on them considering the team has been busy with Joker, DQ Hero, and Banjo-Kazooie in addition to Stage Builder & Home-Run Contest (data mined BTW).

It's more likely that characters 4 & 5 have only recently started development and won't be in a presentable state until December-ish hence why a double reveal is likely. I also believe it'll take that long because Boss Battles is going to be added back (like Brawl) with new bosses added in (a Minecraft boss like Verge hinted at).

I still believe we'll get "New Content Approaching" videos for both of the characters revealed here in both August (for Erdrick) and November (for Banjo). Maybe at the end of Banjo's overview video, we get an announcement for the December Final Smash Direct.
Dude. They’re ready enough to have gameplay trailers. Why on earth would they drop that late. I’m betting earlier on those two. July and September/October. Character 4 will get shown in the September direct and character 5 will be shown off in Early January/February.

So what are the chances of Banjo getting an alt where Kazooie gets her dragon appearance from Tooie?
Small. But possible. Also I WANT!!!

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
"NOBODY WANTED DRAGON QUEST CONTENT WHY CAN'T SAKURAI LISTEN TO THE FANS?"
Man who would have ever guessed Dragon Quest, a cultural phenomenon in Japan would do better than Banjo Kazooie there.

Truly a black mark on the characters inclusion. I bet Sakurai regrets putting him in now.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Man who would have ever guessed Dragon Quest, a cultural phenomenon in Japan would do better than Banjo Kazooie there.

Truly a black mark on the characters inclusion. I bet Sakurai regrets putting him in now.
This is what my American iPhone says the view counts are at.
9687566C-1306-4A67-85DE-BDA6B6819C8E.png

As expected. Dragon Quest is for the Japanese fanbase primarily.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

I sincerely hope you are wrong about the release dates. That would imply serious development hell at some point.

I'm thinking Hero is next month with Banjo in September/October, personally. November would be a quite late Fall release.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Using my 300,000,000 IQ, I have successfully narrowed down the possible remaining DLC Choices

Dark Souls Rep
Crash
Spyro
Phoenix Wright
Professor Layton
Doomguy
Ryu Hyabusy
Scorpion
Sans
Hollow Knight Guy
Quote (Cave Story)
Steve (?)
Master Chief (?)
Sora (?)
Ezio
Resident Evil Rep
Okami Dog Thing
Travis Touchdown (?)
Dante (?)

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Using my 300,000,000 IQ, I have successfully narrowed down the possible remaining DLC Choices

Dark Souls Rep
Crash
Spyro
Phoenix Wright
Professor Layton
Doomguy
Ryu Hyabusy
Scorpion
Sans
Hollow Knight Guy
Quote (Cave Story)
Steve (?)
Master Chief (?)
Sora (?)
Ezio
Resident Evil Rep
Okami Dog Thing
Travis Touchdown (?)
Dante (?)
Last two are most likely out of the question due to their directors.

As for Okami, it is Amaterasu. She would be my 2nd Capcom choice after Phoenix, but I am not sure if she has much of a shot.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I sincerely hope you are wrong about the release dates. That would imply serious development hell at some point.

I'm thinking Hero is next month with Banjo in September/October, personally. November would be a quite late Fall release.
From a business sense, Summer indicates July 1st-September 30th and Fall indicates October 1st-December 31st.

If DQ was slated for July they would have said it but it seems to be more likely for August, possibly even September. There's a lot of work that needs to be done balancing the characters, testing out for bugs in addition to all the other content being added in. Not as simple as one might think.

D

Deleted member

Dark Souls Rep
Crash
Spyro
Phoenix Wright
Professor Layton
Doomguy
Ryu Hyabusy
Scorpion
Sans
Hollow Knight Guy
Quote (Cave Story)
Steve (?)
Master Chief (?)
Sora (?)
Ezio
Resident Evil Rep
Okami Dog Thing
Travis Touchdown (?)
Dante (?)
Fortnite Guy also. I couldn't edit the post, so I'm just adding to it

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Dark Souls Rep
Crash
Spyro
Phoenix Wright
Professor Layton
Doomguy
Ryu Hyabusy
Scorpion
Sans
Hollow Knight Guy
Quote (Cave Story)
Steve (?)
Master Chief (?)
Sora (?)
Ezio
Resident Evil Rep
Okami Dog Thing
Travis Touchdown (?)
Dante (?)
Ok. I know i’ve been actively supporting Dark Souls here for months, but I still can’t figure out which character from the game Sakurai would pick. Solaire is the most popular heroic character and has his own Amiibo, Artorias is by far the most popular boss and is always getting all kinds of merch, and the games protagonist is the Chosen Undead, who feels kind of generic due to the nature of Dark Souls as a game. How do we solve this puzzle?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
From a business sense, Summer indicates July 1st-September 30th and Fall indicates October 1st-December 31st.

If DQ was slated for July they would have said it but it seems to be more likely for August, possibly even September. There's a lot of work that needs to be done balancing the characters, testing out for bugs in addition to all the other content being added in. Not as simple as one might think.
Well obviously not, I never implied as such, but considering they've been worked on gradually since November that seems to be a rather late release schedule. I don't see them making the February deadline they doubled down on at your rate.

At worst Hero will be just before E3 in late July/very early August. No way it is September.

D

Deleted member

I'm 99% sure that Challenger Pack #4 is Agumon
As for Challenger Pack #5, I think it's either Crash, Ryu Hayabusa, or Hello Kitty

D

Deleted member

Hello Kitty and Agumon? You are brave. Foolish, but brave
Agumon is the Namco rep for sure
Hello Kitty is the second-highest grossing media franchise in history, second only to Pokemon. Crash and Hayabusa are more likely than her, however.

D

Deleted member

Hello Kitty is the second-highest grossing media franchise in history, second only to Pokemon. Crash and Hayabusa are more likely than her, however.
Video Game characters only, plus, how do you know there will be a Namco Rep?

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Isn't hello kitty not a video game character though

D

Deleted member

Isn't hello kitty not a video game character though
Technically, Hello Kitty appeared in SMM, however, Spongebob and Patrick appeared in Splatoon 2, and like 50 Marvel Characters are in UA3, so you'd have to take THAT into consideration. No Non-VG fighters!

D

Deleted member

Technically, Hello Kitty appeared in SMM, however, Spongebob and Patrick appeared in Splatoon 2, and like 50 Marvel Characters are in UA3, so you'd have to take THAT into consideration. No Non-VG fighters!
Hello Kitty is Japan's most iconic mascot
I think he can make one exception

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Question is, do they fit these three factors?
1. Timing
2. Relevancy
3. Requests
I don’t really know how much requests factor into it. I can see Banjo being in because of the ballot. But Joker and Hero? Well, P5 wasn’t out yet and Dragon Quest was probably like Castlevania, where people were endlessly suggesting different characters from different games. So the series was on his mind, but no one specific character. Joker was just a character Sakurai really wanted to do, by all evidence.

My point is, each of those factors apply differently and in different amounts to each of our three confirmed characters. I could see the argument if it was just Hero and Joker, but Banjo kind of throws a wrench into it. But let’s look at things a bit more in depth.

Crash Bandicoot almost certainly has requests. There’s no way to know for sure how well he did in the ballot because the results aren’t public. But he always shows up on people’s online lists and Crash has always been super popular in both markets. He has relevancy thanks to the remakes, with CTR coming very soon, and signs pointing to a potential new Crash platforming project from Activision next year. This also has him score high on timing because this year and the next is probably getting back to back Bandicoot action, because Activision has a rule to release one kid friendly game a year. The team at Vicarious Visions has had plenty of time at this point to develop a new Crash Platformer. Bottom line, Crash actually scores very well on all measures.

As for Dark Souls, the series is extremely popular in both regions. And is a staple of modern gaming, but the series is said to be on indefinite hold as FromSoftware has said they want to work on other projects. So the series doesn’t really fit well on timing, but scores too high on the other categories to dismiss.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well obviously not, I never implied as such, but considering they've been worked on gradually since November that seems to be a rather late release schedule. I don't see them making the February deadline they doubled down on at your rate.

At worst Hero will be just before E3 in late July/very early August. No way it is September.
They would make the February deadline. Just that the last two are released at the same time similar to what happened in Smash 4. Both 4 & 5 would be worked on together so it would make sense for both to release February.

D

Deleted member

The only character I would despise to see as DLC is Bubsy.

Even if some people like the character (although they may be rare exceptions), I won’t ever pay 6€ for him.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
They would make the February deadline. Just that the last two are released at the same time similar to what happened in Smash 4. Both 4 & 5 would be worked on together so it would make sense for both to release February.
That hasn’t happened in this dlc round at all. I doubt it would happen for the last two.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
They only did that because the 3DS had a hard limit for patches/software updates. I don't see the point of doing that unless character 4 & 5 share something in common that revealing them together would make sense and/or be fun to see.

Possible, but I don't think it is likely.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Me: *posts how Hero's Japanese trailer has more views than literally every other video of all of the Smash videos to mock everyone saying that nobody wanted them*
You, evidently smarter than me: "Uhhhh actually Hero is only more popular than Banjo in Japan"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom