• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
An IRL friend bred two teams of Shiny Pokémon over the course of a year just to make thematic themes in SwSh.

Imagine how my pal feels now after realizing that probably most of his work is hardblocked by a Thanos move.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Man back when I first became an active member of the Pokemon fandom back in early Gen 5, I remember a lot of doom-and-gloom naysayers saying that the Pokemon franchise was getting too big with too many species and that it'd crack underneath it's own weight eventually. It was during the peak Genwunner era so I'll admit my 13-year-old self didn't take them that seriously.

Funny how that turned out.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So for the sake of calrification, Pokemon who aren't in the Galar Dex won't be trapped in Sun and Moon forever, but Game Freak still has a very early 00's attitude to patches (i.e. only for game breaking bugs)
Ultra Sword and Ultra Shield will fix it.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I cant wait for this swsh to sell well and people that find it ****ty will be called entitled

"DoNt EnFOrcE CRuNCH"
"GAmeFReaK IS TrYinG ThEiR BeST"

Going the Digimon route where you have you a few selected Pokemon for one game every few years is fine and expected since its getting too big to put them all

But to give us Bethesda level animation that looks worse than what the stadium games did (a 64 game), the same ****ing models they used for 7 years, a poor excuse of a gimmick, and falsely advertising the game as "the game for long term fans" despite being the complete opposite of what they want. Thats not crunch, thats just poor managing by the multi million dollar pokemon company and gamefreak. Its fair to call them out on this.

There is no justification for GF's ****tery
I’ll be honest here. Can game freak do better? Should Madura get with the times? Should more effort be put in?

The answer to all of these questions is yes. I wouldn’t call them marketing this falsely however.
The only feature that is a **** you so to speak to fans is the cutting down of the dex. Because let’s be honest the games already make it clear for the most part the most shilled Pokémon are getting in.

Which means they probably won’t give me zoroark and I’ll be pretty upset. Is it going to stop me from buying the game? Honestly no. Because at this point if you haven’t realized, game freak makes it very clear they don’t care for the brand as much, as it prints money regardless. Which is definitely not how they should go about it, but it’s the sad truth. I’ll buy it for two reasons mainly:
1) I only transferred shiny Pokémon over and things for the shiny charm. Pokémon is always about a new journey each time which is why I use moms exclusively new to the games so im
not that upset. Its pretty stupid I won’t lie and I still don’t agree with it, but let’s face it, game freak isn’t changing their ways till most of their employees are gone. They are very much stuck in the past with their Japanese centric views on the values of what the game should be. Again though it prints money so it won’t matter. Anyway:
2) I still enjoy the franchise for what it is. I also have a shred of hope that with the right push from fans and Nintendo, they’ll patch in the older Pokémon. It gives them a perfect excuse to sell the home app so I don’t see them passing more money up for it. If not then at least down the line all those Pokémon will eventually be available again between main remakes and the inevitable let’s go remakes.

Which isn’t ideal but it’s better then nothing. If this was say another big company I could honestly see them put in the effort to port everything over.
As for visually and animation wise. Yes it’s outdated but you can’t honestly cost here and tell me a n64 game has better graphics and animations.

At that point your just ignoring things to fuel your argument and anger. Which Isn’t going to solve anything.

Outside of all that, this game very clearly shows it’s for hardcore fans. Were Mega Pokémon and every other shoehorned feature nice? Yeah sure but you know how many ****ing complaints there were? A **** ton and it was honestly well earned. If you play competitive battling, there is no way you can sit here and tell me that fighting the same exact team of Primal Groudon, Primal Kyroge, Mega Rayquazza, ferrothorn, Mega diance, Arceus, every god damn ultra beast, etc was fun, balanced, and fair.

Because it definitely wasn’t and it was extremely toxic and boring to see like 20 Pokémon out of over 800 on everyone’s team online. So yeah cutting all of that will balance the hell out of the game right off the bat.

Not to mention, we have difficulty curves something almost everyone has wanted, Pokémon in the overworld, a pretty big scale of a game, and I’m sure there’s more I could think of. Regardless there has been way more effort and heart put into these games then the past two generations. Not to mention what the leaked information tells us.
It further proves they want to appease fans.

Is the game perfect? No. Does it need some work? Yes. Is it soulless? No, there’s a good amount of effort put in here to try and please everyone. The problem is gamefreak is a small company with very traditional values. They don’t know how to play things not safe well, and they struggle with new hardware due to their small numbers and the fact they came into the industry years ago. Which the later shouldn’t be an excuse but like I said their structure has not changed much.

The game isn’t out yet so we can’t pass full judgement. Yes it’s got a good amount of work to put in if it wants to better itself but only time will tell how that turns out. I fully agree some change is needed, but winning and acting rudely on an Internet forum isn’t going to change game freaks mind. If you want to make change speak your please politely over twitter and social media. It’s very clear Nintendo has been listening and they will have companies make a change if they feel it’s justified. So go out there, be civil, and hopefully we can make a change for the better, not the worse.

Lets go Pikachu and Eevee were aimed at the casual audience. SwoShi were marketed as "for the long time fan" which was widely interpreted as "for the hardcore fan".

The thing is that the new gimmick in Dynamaxing is not very Competitive but Noone really minded because it looks kinda cool and the rest of the game looks neat.

Then came the news that many Pokémon are not in the game and everyone just started searching for reasons to piss on it.

I just piss on it for the missing Pokémon. The rest looks really good

Explorers of Sky released in 2009
How can you hate Super Mystery Dungeon? Hell outside of removing like everything, gates to infinity at least had a good story imo. And some pretty good music.

But super was overall a great way to get back on track. It has a cool story, made your starter be chosen as t should be, has some really good dungeon music, fun mechanics, and a pretty cool twist ending. Not to mention that while it’s recruit system was different(which can be for better or worse depending on your views), it was a great love letter to the series. Every major Pokémon from past game’s storylines was available which is neat.
They added some Pokémon, phanpy, riolu, vulpix and shinx are now starters too, made the menuing easier, added a very extensive story about Shaymin with a really cool Dungeon to the post Dialga-Pre Darkrai story, added a cafe where you could hang out with your team, get missions and mix gummies into drinks for hightened effects and added a bunch of new dungeons for post-game legendary Pokémon (articuno, Heatran, Rayquaza, kyogre, mee, Giratina and Suicune, Iirc) and a Dungeon around Arceus.

But most importantly, they created a bunch of "Special Episodes" where you play a mini-campaign as another character.

One where you play as Igglybuff (Wigglytuffs backstory)
One where you play as Bidoof in his backstory
One that Explorer Sunfloras story
One that gives team Charms backstory
Where you play as Both of them in the future after the battle in the Hidden Land. It has a Redemption arc for Dusknoir and it's freaking amazing
For all these reasons and more, Sky is my favorite Pokémon game out of any of them. I wish we got more special episodes they were amazing. I can still get testy eyed at wigglytuff’s backstory and bidoof’s wish.

Not to mention into the future of darkness. A beautiful conclusion to
The story with some great quotes and a fantastic insight into the world. Sky was perfection imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
Oh

Did they update the mural today?

Hero and Slime are there now, makes me wonder if they'll be out late June/early July like Plant.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Oh

Hero and Slime are there now, makes me wonder if they'll be out late June/early July like Plant.
I think it updated with Hero and Banjo yesterday on site but it was on twitter before that.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Oh

They updated it yesterday. Banjo is on there to a tweet the smash twitter put out

Shroob

Sup?
Ah, darn.

Oh well, at least this means we'll have whoever character 4's art up there in September instead of having to wait for their release like Joker's.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Which isn’t ideal but it’s better then nothing. If this was say another big company I could honestly see them put in the effort to port everything over.
As for visually and animation wise. Yes it’s outdated but you can’t honestly cost here and tell me a n64 game has better graphics and animations.
They did have better animations. infact what if i told you that Yoichi Kotabe the man that worked with Miyazaki, Takahata, and other famous Japanese animators in toei during 70s actually was the animation director for Pokemon Stadium? Cause he actually did and gave each of the original 151 unique animations.

Is the game perfect? No. Does it need some work? Yes. Is it soulless? No, there’s a good amount of effort put in here to try and please everyone. The problem is gamefreak is a small company with very traditional values. They don’t know how to play things not safe well, and they struggle with new hardware due to their small numbers and the fact they came into the industry years ago. Which the later shouldn’t be an excuse but like I said their structure has not changed much.
Sound more to me that game freak and co are very poorly managed and the pokemon company indulges in the revenue without funding the game departments

Shroob

Sup?
Speaking of:

Do we all kinda unanimously agree that we're getting character 4 shown off during the September Direct?

Because otherwise, the only Direct left is the winter one, or TGA again, and I doubt we're going to get another 2-fer.

We could get a 'surprise' reveal via a "Final presentation" in Feb, but I think the winter Direct would be the final presentation.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Speaking of:

Do we all kinda unanimously agree that we're getting character 4 shown off during the September Direct?

Because otherwise, the only Direct left is the winter one, or TGA again, and I doubt we're going to get another 2-fer.

We could get a 'surprise' reveal via a "Final presentation" in Feb, but I think the winter Direct would be the final presentation.
I do expect the next character to be shown off near Banjo's release and the last one towards the end of the year. Only reason I'd see otherwise is if they did a final presentation again like Smash 4 did to show both at the same time.

Shroob

Sup?
I do expect the next character to be shown off near Banjo's release and the last one towards the end of the year. Only reason I'd see otherwise is if they did a final presentation again like Smash 4 did to show both at the same time.
They definitely could, but I can't imagine they wouldn't want to drop a character in November/December.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Anyway I went and looked at that newer interview that was being talked about earlier.
https://shelgon.tumblr.com/post/185554323399/junichi-masuda-and-shigeru-ohmori-revealed-several
  • According to Masuda, there is still no decision taken on bringing non-Galar Pokémon to Pokémon Sword & Shield via updates. All Pokémon will still have an active role in Pokémon Home.
Assuming this is not a mistranslation, this means they're not just considering it, they're being openly admitting it's a possibility. I was actually pretty convinced they wouldn't patch in old pokemon before but now after seeing this I'm thinking it's fairly likely (though still not a certainty) that they will.

Maybe I'm reading too far into it but when a spokesperson says something vague like that, I see it as them saying "there's a good chance we're going to do it but its not final so we can't officially confirm say so yet". Otherwise I'd expect them to dodge the question completely.

Like take this old quote from Masuda back when we still knew Pokemon Sword/Shield as "Pokemon 2019"
f we hear a lot of people saying that they enjoyed being able to bring Pokemon to these games from Pokemon GO, then we’ll think about maybe having future titles also be able to connect to it.
And guess how that turned out?

...Okay so maybe it's not a perfect example example since he specifically mentioned fan feedback here, but I still think if we're vocal enough about it patches for Sword/Shield will come (and for the better or the worse, the fanbase has been pretty vocal, to say the least). I really do wish people were more civil and less accusatory about the whole thing but it'll probably be a win in the long run. As stubborn as they can be, I have a really hard time imagining GF sitting through this ****storm and doing nothing about it.

Or maybe I'm being overly optimistic. Anyway last post I have on this topic for a while, I'm getting fatigued by...well, the entire Pokemon fandom as a whole. Just remember manage your anger everyone.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
They definitely could, but I can't imagine they wouldn't want to drop a character in November/December.
Maybe the characters would release at different times like Hero and Banjo.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Would fit what they did last year to a tee well enough. We had Isabelle in September's general Direct, and Ken/Incineroar/Plant for the final Smash-themed one Direct in November. It's definitely likely that we get one last Smash Direct to commemorate the final newcomer, so the schedule for releases and reveals would look like this for the pass overall:
  • Joker: Done.
  • Hero: Trailer said Summer, which gives him up to August. Considering how presentable he is as of the moment, could easily see a July drop.
  • Banjo: Got a range for Fall, so September to November. Again, he was pretty presentable from the trailer, so something around September to early October would fit.
  • DLC 4: Ideally gets announced in the general September/Fall Direct this year, could be due for a pre-Christmas release. (Would in theory match Cloud's release in Smash 4)
  • DLC 5: Announced in a likely Smash Direct during November-December, could be out by Feb 2020 to end the pass according to their own deadline. (this'd match Corrin and Bayonetta in Smash 4)

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Well, when would they be 'shown' then, unless you're implying that September is the "Final presentation" date.

DLC's out and wrapped up Feb2020 barring a 2nd pass.
Idk, October/November maybe? Give time to announce it from Banjo & Kazooie's release.

I think we're going to get the reveals seperately but Smash can be hard to predict.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
I think we're going to get the reveals separately but Smash can be hard to predict.
If it helps, nearly every character reveal from this game has dropped within a Nintendo Direct. (*cough*Joker*cough*)

Directs are generally the best time to possibly catch a newcomer reveal, but otherwise you could look to a major gaming event like the TGAs or a show like the Tokyo Game Show.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
THIS NEW ANIMAL CROSSING JUST KEEPS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER
Ahhhhh about time - my town in New Leaf was really lopsided because of this, with barely anyone moving in south of the river

My main hope is for better interaction with the other villagers (more dialogue options, slightly more unique personalities) though it would be difficult to tell if this is the case this early on

Last edited by a moderator:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Poipole-Chu!
avi_poipole.png

Done.

And if I do say so myself, some of my better work.

[EDIT]: Now color-corrected.

[EDIT 2]: I tried some shadows.
avi_poipole_shadows.png

I don't know if I like them or not but I figure options never hurt, so here's both.

[EDIT 3]: I do like them.

Considering the shadows version the definitive.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Speaking of:

Waaaaaait what September direct

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
View attachment 227825
Hey, who's in Eight's pocket?

Oh gosh I just realized, the rodent in this Hero's pocket looks a lot like the hamster from the second Layton game.

Hamster.png

>When you realize Level-5 developed both Dragon Quest VIII (the game this hero came from) and the Layton series.

Level-5 you sneaky bunch the lot of ya.

At least some part of you is in Smash...

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
"NOBODY WANTED DRAGON QUEST CONTENT WHY CAN'T SAKURAI LISTEN TO THE FANS?"

D

Deleted member

Lmaoooooo the new Contra has a mechanic which makes your guns overheat to stop you from constantly shooting.

Not constantly shooting

In Contra
That’s like having a Crash game where Crash gets dizzy from spinning too muc-

C727C0C1-3B51-4CA1-A1A0-70F1D0DE9833.jpeg

You sons of Mephisto

D

Deleted member

At this point, I don't care who gets in, as long as they aren't depressingly lame. I'm still hoping for Crash and Doomguy, but as long as the last 2 characters are remotely interesting or unique, I'm fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom