• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I'm generally not a fan of the whole "Union, non-Union thing." Take this with a BIGGGGGGGGG grain of salt coming from me, but it seems kinda pointless.

On one hand, you can get cast as some great stuff if you're doing Union work, (like Kid Icarus: Uprising), but by doing that your agreeing to not work on some other projects, like SSBU.
I mean not every company is able to afford high profile voice work. You get a lot more security with union but more freedom with non-union. Kinda how it is right now. It’s mostly content from other countries like Japan or small independent studios that mostly use non-union work regardless.

D

Deleted member

Hope asking questions for this is ok. I do plan to go into VO, so this is important to me!

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I really hope this villain doesn’t get spared. I liked the show a lot, but the diamonds, especially White, being completely spared doesn’t sit well with me at all.
They went from not only ruthless and intimidating villains that gave a feeling of dread from just being mentioned (that scene at the end of The Return still gives me chills), as well as realistic depictions of fascist dictators and the class-based power structures they form, to a bunch of conservative boomer moms who don’t understand their left-leaning son.

I do like that they clarify that the empire was dissolved, and that Steven didn’t just say “Thanks for helping up heal the corrupted gems, now go back to committing galactic genocide and owning slaves.” That does soften that a bit, even if I think the diamonds need retribution for the billions of lives they’ve taken.

I think Steven needs an Android 16 moment, with him being against a ruthless villain who won’t back down no matter his mercy, and for someone who the villain has nearly killed to tell him it is ok to fight for what is right and that some people can’t be reasoned with. This show takes a lot of inspiration from DBZ, and I think this is a place where it would greatly benefit the characters and the narrative to do.
I don’t think that’s necessary. Steven Universe just isn’t that kind of show. That’s not the kind of message it wants to spread.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I don’t think that’s necessary. Steven Universe just isn’t that kind of show. That’s not the kind of message it wants to spread.
Eh...

In real life some people just straight up aren’t redeemable, no matter what you try. I think it’d be cool to show kids that not everyone can have their minds changed.

D

Deleted member

May depend on who you work for, but it can be allowed, some VA’s also go by an alias as well.
eg. Steve Burton is unable to voice Cloud in Smash Bros., a non-union work, due to restrictions imposed by Square Enix, but Laura Bailey, also a union VA, voiced Lucina in Awakening & Smash, albeit uncredited.
A lot of union VAs do non-union work, people just tend to not notice for the reasons listed above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
The point isn't to give kids a negative influence, but to stretch out Steven's character.

It’s okay dude, I’m hope to do voice directing for some of my projects so this stuff is relevant to me as well.
What type of projects? If I recall correctly, it was animation, yes?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Eh...

In real life some people just straight up aren’t redeemable, no matter what you try. I think it’d be cool to show kids that not everyone can have their minds changed.
If they go that route, at least show that an attempt was made to try to redeem them. Accepting they’re irredeemable as a last option.

D

Deleted member

May depend on who you work for, but it can be allowed, some VA’s also go by an alias as well.
Yeah, I'm familiar with VA aliases. I use my own just to avoid future issues.

See, my thing about wanting to do non-union work, (assuming I do at some point become a union member) is because I feel even going uncredited or using an alias is still breaking the rules, and I get pretty worried about that, even for silly reasons.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Did you guys know that out if every animated movie to every hold the top grossing animated folm of all time, only one of them wasn't Disney?

That movie was Shrek 2, also the highest grossing movie of 2004.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Yeah, I'm familiar with VA aliases. I use my own just to avoid future issues.

See, my thing about wanting to do non-union work, (assuming I do at some point become a union member) is because I feel even going uncredited or using an alias is still breaking the rules, and I get pretty worried about that, even for silly reasons.
Unless you sign a contract that explicitly states otherwise, I believe they do count as legal loopholes, at least I’ve never seen any VAs get into trouble for doing that.

D

Deleted member

It’s okay dude, I’m hope to do voice directing for some of my projects so this stuff is relevant to me as well.
Hey, that's pretty awesome. Good luck!

Honestly, voice acting is a blast. It's way to fun. Words cannot begin to describe how much I enjoy it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
best dream of any kid imo is video game developer/designer/whatever

cause thats what i wanted to do

but now im going into stinky engineering which requires math before you bop it in a computer to let the math do it for you 3 years later

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
The most fun I've had with a character was the protagonist of a small game by a Swedish indie dev. The voice was fun to do, the character itself was fun, and I even got to do a small bit of improv, which ended up making it into the game.

D

Deleted member

I have way to many ideas, but I can't pull them off. I always get to stressed, so I'm not very good at directing or creating my own things.

I'm sure I could try, but I can't code nor draw.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I've wanted to be a writer for a long time... :yoshi:
Writing is a TON of fun. When you put your mind to it, you can create some wonderful stories.

But it takes dedication and a yearning for perfection. Of course, nothing will ever be perfect. But, writers get nit-picky about their work because they want their work to be as immersive as possible. And heck, because a book isn't a movie or tv show, they have to depend on visual storytelling with words. It's a tough task. But if you place a lot of effort into it...you can make some GREAT stories.

"The Practice of Creative Writing" by Heather Sellers, helped give me a revived interest in creative writing and reading works of fiction. I'd recommend reading it so you can understand how to make a killer story, whether it's a short 5-minute read...or a 1000-page novel. She caters towards shorter stories since that's her expertise, but the principles still apply to writing as a whole.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Hey, that's pretty awesome. Good luck!

Honestly, voice acting is a blast. It's way to fun. Words cannot begin to describe how much I enjoy it.
I’d get into voice acting myself if I heard on recording the same thing I hear in my head, but I’m more than content with the potential of doing voice casting and directing. I sometimes try to picture in my head what a character would sound like when I’m drawing them.

The most fun I've had with a character was the protagonist of a small game by a Swedish indie dev. The voice was fun to do, the character itself was fun, and I even got to do a small bit of improv, which ended up making it into the game.
Doing some improv work can be amazing, sometimes the best work comes completely unplanned.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm mostly into writing (and I'd love to try animation some day but I suck at drawing, and I barely know squat about how to do computer animation...currently, at least...) but I'd love to try voice acting sometime, too.

Been trying to work on an impression of SvtFoE's Toffee recently, actually. It's probably not as accurate as I'd like.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Writing is a TON of fun. When you put your mind to it, you can create some wonderful stories.

But it takes dedication and a yearning for perfection. Of course, nothing will ever be perfect. But, writers get nit-picky about their work because they want their work to be as immersive as possible. And heck, because a book isn't a movie or tv show, they have to depend on visual storytelling with words. It's a tough task. But if you place a lot of effort into it...you can make some GREAT stories.

"The Practice of Creative Writing" by Heather Sellers, helped give me a revived interest in creative writing and reading works of fiction. I'd recommend reading it so you can understand how to make a killer story, whether it's a short 5-minute read...or a 1000-page novel. She caters towards shorter stories since that's her expertise, but the principles still apply to writing as a whole.
Traditional writing was a major interest, but I was also thinking about writing in general (for TV, comic books, etc.) :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

I’d get into voice acting myself if I heard on recording the same thing I hear in my head.
That happens to me rather often. Sounds like a microphone issue. Do you know if you use an XLR mic or a USB mic?

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Traditional writing was a major interest, but I was also thinking about writing in general (for TV, comic books, etc.) :yoshi:
Oooh, sounds fun.

I will admit, Seller's book is more oriented toward fictional works that are put to paper. She isn't focused on tv scripts or anything like that, but hey...it will help you understand creative thinking in writing and coming up with many wonderful possibilities to your work. The principles in her book can still apply very nicely to what you want to write. I know I wanna use what I learned in that book in the fanfic I'm co-writing atm.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
That happens to me rather often. Sounds like a microphone issue. Do you know if you use an XLR mic or a USB mic?
No it’s ANY time I hear my voice played back to me no matter what it’s recorded on. My voice played back to me sounds the same on both my crappy Nikon camera mic or a professional recording booth. It sounds nothing like how I hear myself speaking in real time.

D

Deleted member

No it’s ANY time I hear my voice played back to me no matter what it’s recorded on. My voice played back to me sounds the same on both my crappy Nikon camera mic or a professional recording booth. It sounds nothing like how I hear myself speaking in real time.
Huh....... That's really weird.

It's possible your working with a mic type that doesn't work with your voice. Otherwise, I can't say I'm sure.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I love to write too. Ones I had fun writing were Lost Tapes episodes and fights for the K.W.C. on TohoKingdom Forums (Writer of 144: Battra vs. Titanosaurus, 161: Rodan (Heisei) vs. Dagahra and 189: Gamera (Heisei) vs. Dagahra).

Too bad for a few years now I've been suffering massive writers block...-_-

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
best dream of any kid imo is video game developer/designer/whatever

cause thats what i wanted to do

but now im going into stinky engineering which requires math before you bop it in a computer to let the math do it for you 3 years later
Math is the main reason I decided not to go to engineering, even though I was interested in it for years. I almost failed calculus in high school, and my grades in my other math classes were only around C range.

Instead, I'm going into animation, something I was also interested in. I had two years of a class that was half animation in high school, so I already have some experience.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Eh...

Except that’s what every kids action show does. The villains are always 100% evil and need to either be locked up, or even worse, killed. I like that Steven Universe subverts this. Regardless of how true to real life people the message is.
The point isn't to give kids a negative influence, but to stretch out Steven's character.
Even so. I’d still rather he not murder her. At least just poof her and lock her gem in a box or in a bubble in lions mane.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I think it's interesting that a couple of you do voice acting. I can do some different voices, but I'm terrible at acting in general, plus my main voice is monotonous and boring.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Except that’s what every kids action show does. The villains are always 100% evil and need to either be locked up, or even worse, killed. I like that Steven Universe subverts this. Regardless of how true to real life people the message is.

Even so. I’d still rather he not murder her. At least just poof her and lock her gem in a box or in a bubble in lions mane.
I never said kill the ***** I just don’t want her to be another “best frendz forever uwu”

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Math is the main reason I decided not to go to engineering, even though I was interested in it for years. I almost failed calculus in high school, and my grades in my other math classes were only around C range.

Instead, I'm going into animation, something I was also interested in. I had two years of a class that was half animation in high school, so I already have some experience.
math aint hard for me, just copy/paste the formula half the time

harder than it sounds honestly, the trick is to just look at key words that tell you which formula to use

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom