• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'd rather just wait for a direct to happen. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You do you. I just want to know ASAP. And we have no idea when the September direct will happen. Or even if it will happen. Or if it does, that it will even have a Smash reveal.

Sabi can't leak anything Nintendo anymore, and Vergeben I'm pretty sure has a taken a bow. I can't think of any other credible Smash leakers, so even if some rando on 4Chan happens to post an accurate leak, we wouldn't know likely. Even a video can be faked since modding is rampant.
Damn it.

Seriously. Nintendo just doesn’t know how to do dlc reveals correctly IMO.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I haven’t played Undertale yet, but plan to. I’ve heard it’s quite good.

When it comes to Smash though, I’ve always thought the Indie character that would be playable in Smash would be Shovel Knight. I’d actually love Shovel Knight.

Granted, I don’t actually know when the Smash team would be adding an Indie character. Maybe the next Smash? I just don’t expect it this time.
I’d love Shovel Knight. He’s actually who I voted for in the ballot. As for other indie characters, I do think that Shantae could be possible. (In a new Smash game.)

The avatar character of that game. In other words, someone who proves that being the avatar ≠ being the main character.

Like, not even Intelligent Systems themselves view Robin as the main character.
Being an avatar isn’t really all you need to be considered a main character, so I’d need to know more about him. I’d consider Robin a main protagonist since he seems to fit the bill pretty well. He’s main party member, he’s the one making the shots in battle, etc. I do agree that Chrom also plays a major role, and that he is a protagonist, probably more so than Robin, but I still do think that having Robin chosen over Chrom in Smash 4 makes sense.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I really need to get started on my analysis piece for the Hero Direct/“livestream”. That was so long ago and I just haven’t gotten around to it.

I blame Three Houses lol.

Get the feeling that when folks read my piece on it though, they might not agree with what I’m thinking. We’ll see what happens though, I still think it’s safe to expect a Capcom series (either Resident Evil, Ace Attorney, or MAYBE DMC...but I doubt that last one), and then something else. But idk what that something else would be.

EDIT: If I may interject: Robin was entirely chosen over Chrom because of gameplay potential. It had effectively less to do with being “THE” main protagonist and being “A” main protagonist who was more different to Marth and Ike than Chrom was.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sabi can't leak anything Nintendo anymore, and Vergeben I'm pretty sure has a taken a bow. I can't think of any other credible Smash leakers, so even if some rando on 4Chan happens to post an accurate leak, we wouldn't know likely. Even a video can be faked since modding is rampant.
Vergeben has taken a bow? What do you mean by that?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I really need to get started on my analysis piece for the Hero Direct/“livestream”. That was so long ago and I just haven’t gotten around to it.

I blame Three Houses lol.

Get the feeling that when folks read my piece on it though, they might not agree with what I’m thinking. We’ll see what happens though, I still think it’s safe to expect a Capcom series (either Resident Evil, Ace Attorney, or MAYBE DMC...but I doubt that last one), and then something else. But idk what that something else would be.
How about.... a Namco character?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Can you elaborate? Not sure what you mean.
I prefer the NRS/KI13 method. Where even if the actual characters aren’t revealed all up front, we still get silhouettes and things like that to focus speculation.

Also, they give out information and reveals/releases much quicker and more regularly.

To be fair, in my opinion, most Japanese made fighting games don’t do this right.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
How about.... a Namco character?
I used to be convinced with Namco, but I’m not so sure.

If Sakurai couldn’t come up with a way to make Heihachi unique, and if the Easter Egg with Pac-Man means anything, Heihachi could be out of the running. I’d be absolutely down for Lloyd Irving.

Beyond those two, things get a bit...murkier. I personally don’t see Agumon happening, and Dark Souls is more of a deal between Namco and From Software, though I do see the Souls series as a dark horse candidate considering the popularity it has achieved over the last few years.

I don’t think Namco won’t get a pick, but I feel Capcom absolutely has the best shot, simply based on their colorful backlog of influential series that have either shaped gaming as we know it (Resident Evil) or have struck gold in terms of recognition and popularity (Ace Attorney and DMC).

Granted I don’t think it comes down to “I want a character from X company” in the first place for Sakurai, I simply think Capcom has the best remaining backlog to look into.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
VRplant will leak everything

trust in VRplant

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I prefer the NRS/KI13 method. Where even if the actual characters aren’t revealed all up front, we still get silhouettes and things like that to focus speculation.

Also, they give out information and reveals/releases much quicker and more regularly.

To be fair, in my opinion, most Japanese made fighting games don’t do this right.
Tbf, MK and KI are the exceptions. I mean, Injustice 2 had somewhat of the same method most other fighting games have.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
At best, the next fighter will be leaked only a few days before a Direct, which is kinda redundant IMO because we'd already be so close to the reveal we might as well just wait.

We'll know who's next soon enough. Might as well enjoy the mystery and speculation while you can before the last two characters are revealed and put us on hiatus for several years.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Dimitri and Marianne have an ending where they get married and honestly I think it's my favorite pairing for Dimitri.

AY, GLAD YOU ENJOYED IT!

BLUE LIONS FANS RISE UP!
Is she the only one he can marry? I had dimitri at max support with his house mates and he never had any joint ending with anyone.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

If Sakurai couldn’t come up with a way to make Heihachi unique, and if the Easter Egg with Pac-Man means anything, Heihachi could be out of the running. I’d be absolutely down for Lloyd Irving.

Beyond those two, things get a bit...murkier. I personally don’t see Agumon happening, and Dark Souls is more of a deal between Namco and From Software, though I do see the Souls series as a dark horse candidate considering the popularity it has achieved over the last few years.

I don’t think Namco won’t get a pick, but I feel Capcom absolutely has the best shot, simply based on their colorful backlog of influential series that have either shaped gaming as we know it (Resident Evil) or have struck gold in terms of recognition and popularity (Ace Attorney and DMC).

Granted I don’t think it comes down to “I want a character from X company” in the first place for Sakurai, I simply think Capcom has the best remaining backlog to look into.
It wasn’t that he couldn’t figure out how to make him unique. It’s that he couldn’t figure out how to make him work at all. I don’t know specifically what that means, but that’s what he said.

And like, I know Tales is a pretty big request among fans, but.... really, 3 JRPGs? That’s not a lot of variety.

I still think it’s weird that all the other companies have two characters now (some even more) and Namco still has just one, despite Namco being one of the big names in third party gaming with a vast library of titles that span the decades.

I still think the best final bet is a Namco character and something else. It could be a Capcom (even if I severely doubt it), it could be some other random company. But that’s just the way I see it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Tbf, MK and KI are the exceptions. I mean, Injustice 2 had somewhat of the same method most other fighting games have.
I don’t understand what you mean. Injustice 2 had characters revealed months in advance of when they were available for purchase, and had the silhouettes at the end of the first dlc trailer to function as teasers and fuel speculation. No other fighting game really does that. Even if they do silhouettes, they’re generic so nobody can tell who they are beforehand, whereas I2’s silhouettes has defining shape to them. Again, to fuel speculation.

And even if those games are the exception, I still prefer it over keeping endless secrets for long stretches of time and only letting your consumers know who they are immediately before they can be purchased with very little exceptions.

Don't let DLC Fighter 5 distract you from the fact that we could have gotten Static Shock in Injustice 2.
Yeah. It’s some weird thing with Dwayne McDuffie’s family. I’d be really surprised if he doesn’t finally show up in 3 though.

Last edited:

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
It wasn’t that he couldn’t figure out how to make him unique. It’s that he couldn’t figure out how to make him work at all. I don’t know specifically what that means, but that’s what he said.
He couldn't figure out Heihachi's movement. Sounds like he couldn't figure out how to make use of the 3D element of Tekken.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I don’t understand what you mean. Injustice 2 had characters revealed months in advance of when they were available for purchase, and had the silhouettes at the end of the first dlc trailer to function as teasers and fuel speculation. No other fighting game really does that. Even if they do silhouettes, they’re generic so nobody can tell who they are beforehand, whereas I2’s silhouettes has defining shape to them. Again, to fuel speculation.

And even if those games are the exception, I still prefer it over keeping endless secrets for long stretches of time and only letting your consumers know who they are immediately before they can be purchased with very little exceptions.

Yeah. It’s some weird thing with Dwayne McDuffie’s family. I’d be really surprised if he doesn’t finally show up in 3 though.
Hm, must have gotten it confused with another game then.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
He couldn't figure out Heihachi's movement. Sounds like he couldn't figure out how to make use of the 3D element of Tekken.
Which is like... weird. Because I don’t know why that would even be something he felt he needed to incorporate.

Besides, he’s had plenty of time to think about how to include him to his own level of satisfaction. Even if I still think Dark Souls is our best bet (they co-own the IP. It’s like how HAL owns part of the Kirby series).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

While they’re not as likely as a Tales or Tekken character, there’s some other options like Valkyrie (who unfortunately is mostly a JP character and the west only knows her through the Project X Zone games), the Prince Of All Cosmos from Katamari Damacy, Klonoa (even though he hasn’t had a game since the 2000s but that didn’t stop Akatsuki Blitzkampf in BBTAG), a Soul Calibur character (it has no set “main” character, but Nightmare is considered the “face” of the series), and last but not least, KOS-MOS, who can be considered a Namco mascot alongside :ultpacman: at this point, having appeared in various crossovers as well as Xenoblade 2, and is overall a pretty big deal in Japan. There’s even been rumors of a Xenosaga HD Trilogy remaster for PS4, PC, Switch and I think also Xbox One being trademarked last year

But hey what do I know :upsidedown:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
While they’re not as likely as a Tales or Tekken character, there’s some other options like Valkyrie (who unfortunately is mostly a JP character and the west only knows her through the Project X Zone games), the Prince Of All Cosmos from Katamari Damacy, Klonoa (even though he hasn’t had a game since the 2000s but that didn’t stop Akatsuki Blitzkampf in BBTAG), a Soul Calibur character (it has no set “main” character, but Nightmare is considered the “face” of the series), and last but not least, KOS-MOS, who can be considered a Namco mascot alongside :ultpacman: at this point, having appeared in various crossovers as well as Xenoblade 2, and is overall a pretty big deal in Japan. There’s even been rumors of a Xenosaga HD Trilogy remaster for PS4, PC, Switch and I think also Xbox One being trademarked last year

But hey what do I know :upsidedown:
I didn’t know how popular Xenosaga was. Plus, considering it’s link to the Xenoblade series.....

I’m preparing for her just in case

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Today marks the first time someone asked to take a photo of me at a convention and all I was wearing was a Shantae t-shirt and a Waluigi cap.

The person's reason was she wanted her Luigi cap to go with my Waluigi one, lol.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I didn’t know how popular Xenosaga was. Plus, considering it’s link to the Xenoblade series.....

I’m preparing for her just in case
It’s not directly linked per se, but Monolith did create KOS-MOS. Bandai Namco owns the rights to her, though, so she’d technically be a Bamco character.

RIP Xenogears/Fei Fong Wong though, Square Enix doesn’t seem to want to acknowledge Gears’s existence

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

And like, I know Tales is a pretty big request among fans, but.... really, 3 JRPGs? That’s not a lot of variety.

I still think it’s weird that all the other companies have two characters now (some even more) and Namco still has just one, despite Namco being one of the big names in third party gaming with a vast library of titles that span the decades.

I still think the best final bet is a Namco character and something else. It could be a Capcom (even if I severely doubt it), it could be some other random company. But that’s just the way I see it.
Eh, I'd just suggest to not focus on the numbers of characters as much. Sure, Namco may have the fewest of the current 3rd party roster. But when selecting characters, that's never been shown to be a priority. It may be a priority for you and others, but it doesn't seem to be that way for Sakurai.

This doesn't mean that Sakurai can't or won't think, "Y'know, I only have one Namco character. I should add another!", but I think what he'd be looking for at this rate is mainly among the following: fan demand, gaming legacy/impact, uniqueness (not just gameplay, but genre), and...I'm sure there's other criteria but who knows?

That's why I see Resident Evil as a pick with a solid shot. If you remove the context of "4th Capcom character" it's easily the biggest series with size and impact from a Japanese gaming company, and while the horror genre may have an Assist Trophy, it doesn't have a playable character. What better series to incorporate that sort of feel than the biggest of them all? It's a multimedia franchise with movies, manga (I think), and it's on par with Zelda in terms of overall "best selling gaming franchises" sitting at roughly $92 million earned through gaming software alone. It's a big deal.

That, at least, is why I think Resident Evil (not so much Capcom as a company but RE as a series) has a great shot. Sure, I love the series and will shill for it. But it's not as if it's a "nothing" series without my shilling. Capcom may have a lot in Smash already, but it's no as if they're not pulling quality series from them. They're picked for good reason.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Eh, I'd just suggest to not focus on the numbers of characters as much. Sure, Namco may have the fewest of the current 3rd party roster. But when selecting characters, that's never been shown to be a priority. It may be a priority for you and others, but it doesn't seem to be that way for Sakurai.

This doesn't mean that Sakurai can't or won't think, "Y'know, I only have one Namco character. I should add another!", but I think what he'd be looking for at this rate is mainly among the following: fan demand, gaming legacy/impact, uniqueness (not just gameplay, but genre), and...I'm sure there's other criteria but who knows?

That's why I see Resident Evil as a pick with a solid shot. If you remove the context of "4th Capcom character" it's easily the biggest series with size and impact from a Japanese gaming company, and while the horror genre may have an Assist Trophy, it doesn't have a playable character. What better series to incorporate that sort of feel than the biggest of them all? It's a multimedia franchise with movies, manga (I think), and it's on par with Zelda in terms of overall "best selling gaming franchises" sitting at roughly $92 million earned through gaming software alone. It's a big deal.

That, at least, is why I think Resident Evil (not so much Capcom as a company but RE as a series) has a great shot. Sure, I love the series and will shill for it. But it's not as if it's a "nothing" series without my shilling. Capcom may have a lot in Smash already, but it's no as if they're not pulling quality series from them. They're picked for good reason.
Don't get me wrong, I could easily see a Resident Evil character. And all of your reasons make sense.

I guess I'm struggling to understand why having one negates the other. Especially sense many of Namco's franchises have large fanbases and/or high amounts of requests.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Don't get me wrong, I could easily see a Resident Evil character. And all of your reasons make sense.

I guess I'm struggling to understand why having one negates the other. Especially sense many of Namco's franchises have large fanbases and/or high amounts of requests.
Having Resident Evil added, or any Capcom series in general, doesn't negate the odds of a Namco character by any means.

It's just that between the two, if we could only have one, my bet goes with Capcom.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Having Resident Evil added, or any Capcom series in general, doesn't negate the odds of a Namco character by any means.

It's just that between the two, if we could only have one, my bet goes with Capcom.
I understand that.

Honestly, the Namco/Capcom angle is probably way more likely than going out to other third party companies like Activision or Bethesda.

So why not. KOS-MOS and Leon as the last two characters. I’d be down.

Even if i’d still prefer Heihachi but what can you do.

Watch him be like “KOS-MOS constantly places well in the Fighter ballot” and everyone is simultaneously confused and like “I guess it makes sense”.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Just gonna say the Namco character, or more specifically, the Tekken character doesn't have to be Heihachi. Similar to RE having Jill/Leon or Chris/Claire and even a few franchises within Smash, Tekken's got multiple iconic/main characters to represent it. Hell, people not too long ago were questioning whether Robin or Chrom was the real MC of Awakening.

Namely in Tekken's case, the other two Mishima's with Kazuya Mishima and Jin Kazama. So if any of the issues that might cause Heihachi to not be eligible(be it the passing of another voice actor, or the Pac-Man sprite), There's other options within the franchise.

I'd say Jin's the more likely due to being in more crossovers, and being used as a posterboy for the series a bit more than Kaz, but T7's given Kazuya more attention as well.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I could see an Undertale character in Smash being either Frisk (with Chara alt. please) or Sans & Papyrus (skelebros ftw).

Frisk is the protagonist, Sans & Papyrus are the most popular and are kinda faces of the game, at least alongside Flowey and Toriel since the others didn't seem to get promoted as much (except maybe Mettaton but idk).

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Vergeben has taken a bow? What do you mean by that?
Vergeben if I recall correctly said that he was pretty much done with Smash after Erdrick. He did also leak Banjo after Sabi did, but I feel like it was a "might as well" kind of thing.
VRplant will leak everything

trust in VRplant
Haven't given VRPlant much attention, do tell, how consistent are they?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom