• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm curious, as a person of color, tell me why Smash needs characters just for that? Gamefaqs always goes for this topic and I don't get it.
Without getting too deep about it, it matters to some people. As a Black and Hispanic guy, I certainly wouldn't mind more characters of either race getting characters in games. In fact, many fighting games have quite a few Black and Hispanic characters in them, something I feel a lot of people don't care about. Because the games themselves rarely make a big deal out of it.

I don't think it "needs" to happen for no reason though. Just that it'd be cool if said character was also cool. But very few franchises have their lead character as a Black or Hispanic person, but many are secondary characters. There's reasons for this like appealing to the widest demographic, but again, I don't want to get too deep into it. It's not like we're gonna get Jax before Scorpion/Sub-Zero, or Eddy Gordo before Jin/Heihachi for example.

Long story short, I don't care too much as long as said character is cool/good enough without factoring their race.

EDIT: Not a fan of the term "Person of Color", **** sounds too close to Colored People back in the 60s. I just say I'm Black/Hispanic.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Anthony Higgs should be the next Metroid rep.
View attachment 235271
I can see his reveal tagline now:

"ANTHONY HIGGS,

REMEMBER HIM?!"

NO.png

"WHO THE **** IS THIS?!"

*Roidley begins to talk inside Ridley's subconcious while they are in their fused form*

"...I think I remember him..."

"WHAT?!"

"Yeah...memories are coming to my head...He told me I didn't know how to "treat a lady" and that I "had no style.", also calling me a punk....And then..."

"And then what?"

"I kicked his butt by swinging my tail at him."

"...Hold on, really? From all the stuff that you just told me, that's the thing I find the HARDEST to believe, Silly One."

"I don't know why I suddenly I remembered that....but I SWEAR I DID, BIG BRO! Back in the Pyrosphere!"

"Well, congrats to ya, you finally achieved something in life, even though seeing this guy here means that you actually failed miserably."

xD It took a while, but I had fun nonetheless!

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Guys, guys... there's a jazz remix out of my favorite level in DKC2 by Nyx. Hot Heat Bop has an all new rendition, and it's AMAZING:

Give it a listen if you want.

Noipoi

Howdy!
View attachment 235284

"WHO THE **** IS THIS?!"

*Roidley begins to talk inside Ridley's subconcious while they are in their fused form*

"...I think I remember him..."

"WHAT?!"

"Yeah...memories are coming to my head...He told me I didn't know how to "treat a lady" and that I "had no style.", also calling me a punk....And then..."

"And then what?"

"I kicked his butt by swinging my tail at him."

"...Hold on, really? From all the stuff that you just told me, that's the thing I find the HARDEST to believe, Silly One."

"I don't know why I suddenly I remembered that....but I SWEAR I DID, BIG BRO! Back in the Pyrosphere!"

"Well, congrats to ya, you finally achieved something in life, even though seeing this guy here means that you actually failed miserably."

xD It took a while, but I had fun nonetheless!
That’s some 10/10 dedication to a meme.

A+

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I find it interesting that people like to make memes about Disney taking over the world, despite the fact that companies like Apple, Amazon, Microsoft and Google are nearly 4x bigger than the Mouse House (Like they have enough to purchase Disney outright), and are much more likely to achieve world domination first
Likely due to them having less of the Pop Culture Pie, and Disney's influence on our childhoods. It's also funny to imagine Mickey Mouse as this demonic version of Wilson Fisk or Lex Luthor, planning everything and making Big Boy Business moves.

Although Google's constantly watching us, or rather our computers and they know all our weird habits and interests.

Bro. How're you not gonna call him the Green Arrow? He's literally green my dude.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
All Sony needs to do to redeem themselves for this is to give us a Spidey 2099 movie that allows us to see a world where a cynical tired smartass realizes corporations suck and makes it his mission to crush corrupt corporate greed. And watch the owners gawk at why folks like it and miss the point.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Disney: We own most of the major cinematic properties, including our Disney catalog, Star Wars, and most Marvel properties, including now X-Men that we got with Fox in our monopolistic path towards world domination. By the way, Sony, could we get 10x more profits, half, of Spider-Man?
Sony: Um, no?
Disney: WHAT DO YOU MEAN?! WE OWN ALMOST EVERYTHING AND IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL WE'LL OWN YOU NEXT.

I was not a fan of the Fox deal, mainly for the political/economic ramifications, but the only silver lining was all of Marvel being able to be utilized together. Now that that's likely not going to be the case, it's hard to see how that was a good deal for consumers in the long run. I feel like Disney's going to have to be broken up and incentivized to work nicely with their competitors, rather than greedily trying to suck as much money from the movie business as they possibly can.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Disney: We own most of the major cinematic properties, including our Disney catalog, Star Wars, and most Marvel properties, including now X-Men that we got with Fox in our monopolistic path towards world domination. By the way, Sony, could we get 10x more profits, half, of Spider-Man?
Sony: Um, no?
Disney: WHAT DO YOU MEAN?! WE OWN ALMOST EVERYTHING AND IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL WE'LL OWN YOU NEXT.

I was not a fan of the Fox deal, mainly for the political/economic ramifications, but the only silver lining was all of Marvel being able to be utilized together. Now that that's likely not going to be the case, it's hard to see how that was a good deal for consumers in the long run. I feel like Disney's going to have to be broken up and incentivized to work nicely with their competitors, rather than greedily trying to suck as much money from the movie business as they possibly can.
Eh. I’d rather just starve them of money and slowly bleed them dry of assets until the company is lying there dead. Then gloat for a little bit, before finally killing their brand. As the mouse and all its assets fade from memory, their legacy stained and ruined, they know the pain they’ve caused others all these years in their final moments before I return to finish the job. Their IPs will be decided back amongst the major film studios, but none will be allowed to own every asset and the Disney name will not be allowed to be used under any circumstances.

And, with my mission finally completed, I finally rest.

This is why I shouldn’t wake up at 4:00am. I become corporate Kratos.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Oh so that's why people are freaking out over Spider Man today.

Yeah, like, I don't use ANY social media at all lmao. People look at me like I'm crazy when they ask if I've heard news from days ago and my answer is "Nope."

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean... cool? Like, it’s nice that those modes could come back for people who like them. But I don’t. So it’s not very exciting.

Seriously, a Subspace Emissary esque Story Mode is all I really wanted and adding in something of the like now would keep me playing for ages.

Or at the very least...... no. You know what. No. I’m tired of pretending Smash Tour would be enough. It’s not. That game was the same exact map over and over again.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I shared the original post from Restera when it was first posted, as there wasn't much conversation going on at the time. Thought it'd be interesting for a bit, but it's kinda difficult since one of the modes is obvious, Home-Run Contest, and that leaves 1 Smash mode, at the very least planned. What's interesting is the three online modes, though those could be offline modes being allowed online (Smashdown Online would be cool). And since VR added a numerical item, it doesn't give us a minimum (some modes could have been scrapped) or a maximum (new items can be added). So, it's tough to speculate about.

Boss rush mode alongside Grunty boss... pleeeease.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Eh. I’d rather just starve them of money and slowly bleed them dry of assets until the company is lying there dead. Then gloat for a little bit, before finally killing their brand. As the mouse and all its assets fade from memory, their legacy stained and ruined, they know the pain they’ve caused others all these years in their final moments before I return to finish the job. Their IPs will be decided back amongst the major film studios, but none will be allowed to own every asset and the Disney name will not be allowed to be used under any circumstances.

And, with my mission finally completed, I finally rest.

This is why I shouldn’t wake up at 4:00am. I become corporate Kratos.
That's like, comically edgy, lol.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Yeah, ResetERA stuff seems good to pay attention to if only because that place has no bull**** tolerance in regards to this kind of stuff

Shroob

Sup?
I shared the original post from Restera when it was first posted, as there wasn't much conversation going on at the time. Thought it'd be interesting for a bit, but it's kinda difficult since one of the modes is obvious, Home-Run Contest, and that leaves 1 Smash mode, at the very least planned. What's interesting is the three online modes, though those could be offline modes being allowed online (Smashdown Online would be cool). And since VR added a numerical item, it doesn't give us a minimum (some modes could have been scrapped) or a maximum (new items can be added). So, it's tough to speculate about.

Boss rush mode alongside Grunty boss... pleeeease.
DID SOMEONE CALL?:drflip:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom (Rehydrated) looks so beautiful. It makes up for cringe of the streamers not knowing how to play.

"I think collecting the underwear is for your health."

It is a very strange game to explain to people who haven't played it, admittedly.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Gotta come up with at least six alien species for a new project.

Now to find some inspiration.
The best thing I've found for coming up with creature designs is looking to those series where you really dig the creature or enemy aesthetic

Or real world designs of mythical creatures and gods can often provide inspiration

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
As much as I hate to say this Disney should just buy out Sony at this point.
I'd give a hard no on that. The problem with Disney is not that they don't own all of Marvel, the problem is they own so much, that anything they buy out seems "small"... despite the fact Sony is one of the Big 5, which used to be the Big 6, and the Big 7 before that. Buying them out would make it the Big 4, and that is *not* good in the long run. But thanks to corporate mergers, movies are becoming more expensive, with fewer diverse options.

What should happen is Disney should get their wrist slap for their anticompetitive (but legal) maneuvers and be incentivized to work with other companies, rather than just buying them out. I really hope the media doesn't spin this as a problem with Sony--this is all of Disney's doing.

Striga

Smash Journeyman
I can't tell if I'm starting to get migranes or not.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Next Tuesday is when I'm off for my eye surgery. Won't be back home till the following Friday and even then, I gotta go back out again for a check up the Tuesday after that. Gentlepanda Gentlepanda if my name comes up for next weeks AMA, I'll have to pass due to this. Any other week should be fine.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

No blood or gore in this, so I figure it’s fine to post.

Why does the Joker look like Ellen De Generis?

this all but confirms that Switch datamine, Which means Ash, Fujin, and Sheeva will be in KP2. Wonder who else will join with them.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I have had weird dreams all my life, actually. I don’t know why, though.
I know exactly why. I take melatonin to help me get to sleep. But it always gives me weird dreams. Like dreaming I’m Kratos killing Zeus in my real world old middle school. Or dreaming I’m going to my new dormitory for college and it looks like a roadside hotel in a cheep tourist town. Or one other thing that I can’t remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom