• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Want to hear something more cursed? In the Wii U version, there were unused textures for the Ender Dragon and Pig in the Mario Texture Pack. Want to know what those textures were?

Hooktail and Midbus. Hooktail was replaced by Gobblegut from Galaxy 2, and the Pig went to default.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Just finished God of War Ascension. Now all that’s left is the PS4 game. Sigh.

Hopefully it’s at least fun in its own right. But I just can’t be excited for one of the three big names in hack-n-slash basically abandoning the genre in favor of chasing the SoulsBorne trend.

And it doesn’t help that the elements added are things I’m not really a fan off. I just want to hack and slash my way through enemies and be super powerful. And then level up to become even more powerful. I don’t want to have to manage skill trees and gear and grind so I can get into different areas and.... arg, why must you betray me God of War! That’s what it should be called. God of War: Betrayal.

Whatever. I still need to actually play it to see if I actually hate it. But.... I just wish I could actually be excited for it.
Do give the PS4 game a chance. It attempted to take the series into a new direction with a vision in mind while at the same time not abandon it's past, and I respect them for that. The developers expertly used hardware techniques to make the game a one shot and push the PS4 to it's very limits.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Want to hear something more cursed? In the Wii U version, there were unused textures for the Ender Dragon and Pig in the Mario Texture Pack. Want to know what those textures were?

Hooktail and Midbus. Hooktail was replaced by Gobblegut from Galaxy 2, and the Pig went to default.
that moment when Microsoft (tries to) give the RPGs more love than Nintendo does.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Noooooo:
Everyone’s time skip look is great and I loved the story and cutscenes, but...
Dedue is dead!!!!!!

He was one of my favorites, that sucks.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Do give the PS4 game a chance. It attempted to take the series into a new direction with a vision in mind while at the same time not abandon it's past, and I respect them for that. The developers expertly used hardware techniques to make the game a one shot and push the PS4 to it's very limits.
I mean... I’m gonna play it. I just don’t know if i’ll Like it as much as the other 6 games in the series. Or even at all.

And, honestly, if they really wanted to do something completely new, they should have made a new series. God of War was one of the three big hack n slash games along side DMC and Bayonetta. And now it’s just... not anymore. I can’t be excited for that no matter how much of a “masterpiece” the new game is.

Like. I don’t understand why they couldn’t figure out a way to do both. Do the story. Do Atreus. Do the graphics and do the single camera shot. But do actual God of War gameplay at the same time.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Yep. Here's Hooktail Here's Midbus Both unused in game, with one replaced by a forgetable boss, and the other with no replacement.
I seriously can't believe that Mojang gave more attention to the Mario RPG characters than Nintendo themselves. Like, Midbus is a really niche character only known by those who played the Mario RPGs. He doesn't have as big of a cult following as characters like Geno, Fawful, and Dimentio. It's a little bit funny.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Kid didn't even make sense back in Sparking Meteor/Tenkaichi 3. Helmet or not, young Chi-Chi didn't ever really fight.

Meanwhile, we have adult Chi-Chi whoopin' *** in the preliminaries at the 23d Budokai:
Keeping Goku on his toes:
Out here clowning Lord Slug's soldiers:
Possessed to fight Gohan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vtsu8baEu0

Give her the Bashō-sen and maybe the helmet and she's solid.
The Bansho Fan is such a perfect super for her, I could see it as both a level 1 or 3 depending on what they wanted to do.

I don't think I've ever played a Dragon Ball game where YA Chi Chi was playable, and it sucks because it's easily the coolest version of the character. Roshi is cool but I'd be really happy to see Chi Chi as well for a Dragon Ball rep.

Just finished God of War Ascension. Now all that’s left is the PS4 game. Sigh.

Hopefully it’s at least fun in its own right. But I just can’t be excited for one of the three big names in hack-n-slash basically abandoning the genre in favor of chasing the SoulsBorne trend.

And it doesn’t help that the elements added are things I’m not really a fan off. I just want to hack and slash my way through enemies and be super powerful. And then level up to become even more powerful. I don’t want to have to manage skill trees and gear and grind so I can get into different areas and.... arg, why must you betray me God of War! That’s what it should be called. God of War: Betrayal.

Whatever. I still need to actually play it to see if I actually hate it. But.... I just wish I could actually be excited for it.
I'm like the exact opposite of you haha. I loved the God of War storyline but hated the gameplay, felt like I was doing the same combo over and over on enemies that didn't really provide any sort of challenge. I got what they were going for with the power fantasy but I never felt like I was enjoying it.

GOW 2018 was the first one I actually played to completion and I absolutely ADORED it. The game does go a bit more towards an RPG/Action hybrid, but Kratos still feels like the god he is, if you play on the lower difficulties you can basically mimic the old school gameplay pretty closely.

Even if you aren't a fan of the gameplay direction they took, the story is one of the best I've experienced in any form of media. It's clear that they took ages making sure that they got it right. It's a pretty simple idea (Kratos tries to forget all the things that happened in Olympus and find something to live for) but it blossoms into something so much more, and it's done beautifully. I legit teared up at the end of it all, and there's a few scenes in particular that felt like they were meant for long time fans to appreciate.

i'm rambling at this point but I love this stupid game so much and I want to rant about it

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I mean... I’m gonna play it. I just don’t know if i’ll Like it as much as the other 6 games in the series. Or even at all.

And, honestly, if they really wanted to do something completely new, they should have made a new series. God of War was one of the three big hack n slash games along side DMC and Bayonetta. And now it’s just... not anymore. I can’t be excited for that no matter how much of a “masterpiece” the new game is.

Like. I don’t understand why they couldn’t figure out a way to do both. Do the story. Do Atreus. Do the graphics and do the single camera shot. But do actual God of War gameplay at the same time.
I do understand where you're coming from and I was critical about the game going in as well. But after finishing it I had some appreciation for the game for what it was trying to do. Unlike certain reboots this game did not spit on it's previous titles and attempt to be a different game and alienate it's audience. It fully embraces the previous story and it addresses certain parts of it head on. I won't go into too much detail as that would be going into spoiler territory. But I do recommend you enter the game with an open mind because at it's core this game is still God of War.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The Bansho Fan is such a perfect super for her, I could see it as both a level 1 or 3 depending on what they wanted to do.

I don't think I've ever played a Dragon Ball game where YA Chi Chi was playable, and it sucks because it's easily the coolest version of the character. Roshi is cool but I'd be really happy to see Chi Chi as well for a Dragon Ball rep.

I'm like the exact opposite of you haha. I loved the God of War storyline but hated the gameplay, felt like I was doing the same combo over and over on enemies that didn't really provide any sort of challenge. I got what they were going for with the power fantasy but I never felt like I was enjoying it.

GOW 2018 was the first one I actually played to completion and I absolutely ADORED it. The game does go a bit more towards an RPG/Action hybrid, but Kratos still feels like the god he is, if you play on the lower difficulties you can basically mimic the old school gameplay pretty closely.

Even if you aren't a fan of the gameplay direction they took, the story is one of the best I've experienced in any form of media. It's clear that they took ages making sure that they got it right. It's a pretty simple idea (Kratos tries to forget all the things that happened in Olympus and find something to live for) but it blossoms into something so much more, and it's done beautifully. I legit teared up at the end of it all, and there's a few scenes in particular that felt like they were meant for long time fans to appreciate.

i'm rambling at this point but I love this stupid game so much and I want to rant about it
I’m glad you liked it. And I hope you’re right about the difficulty settings. But it’s still not the same. I just don’t understand why they couldn’t do both. Why can’t they do a beautiful story AND combo heavy action gameplay with light puzzles and platforming.

And the thing that really gets me (and confuses me) is that people LIKE the change in gameplay. Any other beloved franchise doing a drastic change like this would prompt a gigantic amount of hate and salt. But I’ve seen nothing but people being happy about one of the three big hack n slashes abandoning the genre.

I kind of hope that the success of DMCV gets them to re-evaluate their decisions a bit for the sequel on PS5.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Ok, but you want to know what's REALLY weird about the whole Mario Texture Pack thing?

Dark Bones and Lava Piranha are still in the game. Wither Skeletons are replaced by Dark Bones from TTYD, and the Wither is Lava Piranha from Paper Mario

So I don't get cutting Midbus and Hooktail.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I do understand where you're coming from and I was critical about the game going in as well. But after finishing it I had some appreciation for the game for what it was trying to do. Unlike certain reboots this game did not spit on it's previous titles and attempt to be a different game and alienate it's audience. It fully embraces the previous story and it addresses certain parts of it head on. I won't go into too much detail as that would be going into spoiler territory. But I do recommend you enter the game with an open mind because at it's core this game is still God of War.
But it’s not! It’s Dark Souls with a God of War skin!

Sorry. Sorry. I’m just... hack n slashes have always been one of my favorite genres and it’s no secret that they’ve been very much on the decline as many genres have been getting RPG-ified. And I’m scared that this not only means I have lost a beloved franchise, but could signal to other developers that this type of game just isn’t wanted anymore. I was terrified of how it would impact DMCV and I’m still scared of what it could do to Bayonetta 3. I don’t want this genre to die.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So 4 more DLC placeholders were found in FighterZ? Well, it's obviously going to be Roshi, Chichi, Kelfa, and The return of Launch Ultra Instint Goku.

Idk.
If that's really the case, I think Roshi and Kefla should be in there since people asked for it.

People would be mad at another Goku. But MUI Goku as an unplayable boss would be kind of clean. Otherwise, I'd hope for Dabura or Pikkon or Uub I guess.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
If that's really the case, I think Roshi and Kefla should be in there since people asked for it.

People would be mad at another Goku. But MUI Goku as an unplayable boss would be kind of clean. Otherwise, I'd hope for Dabura or Pikkon or Uub I guess.
I can actually kinda see a Dabura and Babadi as a tag team like character. You know, Dabura is the muscle, and Babadi does some magic crap or something.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
But it’s not! It’s Dark Souls with a God of War skin!

Sorry. Sorry. I’m just... hack n slashes have always been one of my favorite genres and it’s no secret that they’ve been very much on the decline as many genres have been getting RPG-ified. And I’m scared that this not only means I have lost a beloved franchise, but could signal to other developers that this type of game just isn’t wanted anymore. I was terrified of how it would impact DMCV and I’m still scared of what it could do to Bayonetta 3. I don’t want this genre to die.
It's not as if the hack n slash genre is going to die away. DMCV has proven to be very successful and we have Astral Chain coming this month. And Bayonetta 3 is still in development. Even without a big name like God of War there will still be more additions for this genre, Platinum Studios have been pumping out these games like cookies for various years and they're unlikely to stop anytime soon. You really don't have to be worries about the death of this genre. Trust me it's in a much better state compared to the RTS genre.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Potato_ Potato_ Look up Super Dragon Ball Z on PS2. That should give you an idea of what Chi-Chi could play like in a fighting game. Some of the other characters like Videl and Android 16 got their tech from older DBZ fighting games. Even Cell's Rolling Attack came from another DBZ Arcade title.

I can actually kinda see a Dabura and Babadi as a tag team like character. You know, Dabura is the muscle, and Babadi does some magic crap or something.
Maybe. But Dabura has more than enough to pull from. Spitting Cement, Throwing Spears, Sword tech and the usual lasers and fireballs. If they re-used his super from Budokai 2/3/Infinite World as his level 3, we're good fam.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It's not as if the hack n slash genre is going to die away. DMCV has proven to be very successful and we have Astral Chain coming this month. And Bayonetta 3 is still in development. Even without a big name like God of War there will still be more additions for this genre, Platinum Studios have been pumping out these games like cookies for various years and they're unlikely they'll stop anytime soon. You really don't have to be worries about the death of this genre. Trust me it's in a much better state compared to the RTS genre.
I guess i’ll Just have to tolerate the anime flavor then.

Don’t get me wrong I love Bayonetta. But while I like DMC, Dante himself is my least favorite part of it. He’s just this arrogant invincible ass with no personal motivation.

Not to mention Astral Chain is anime as ****. Part of the reason I like God of War so much is that it’s hack n slash with a western flavor. I tend to gravitate more towards American and European made games in general now that I think about it.

So yes, there are still titles in the genre (I really need to try out Nier Automata), they’re all Japanese made and loaded with anime bs.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Maybe. But Dabura has more than enough to pull from. Spitting Cement, Throwing Spears, Sword tech and the usual lasers and fireballs. If they re-used his super from Budokai 2/3/Infinite World as his level 3, we're good fam.
Maybe something more akin to Tien and Chiaotzu? Where Dabura does most of the work, but Babadi steps in for some attacks, like his barrier he does a lot, kinda how Chiaotzu steps in for his long range grab and suicide kills.

And if you ask me, Chiaotzu should still be able to help Tien's Dodon Ray in some way, I mean, he did use it a lot against Krillin in their fight.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
I’m glad you liked it. And I hope you’re right about the difficulty settings. But it’s still not the same. I just don’t understand why they couldn’t do both. Why can’t they do a beautiful story AND combo heavy action gameplay with light puzzles and platforming.

And the thing that really gets me (and confuses me) is that people LIKE the change in gameplay. Any other beloved franchise doing a drastic change like this would prompt a gigantic amount of hate and salt. But I’ve seen nothing but people being happy about one of the three big hack n slashes abandoning the genre.

I kind of hope that the success of DMCV gets them to re-evaluate their decisions a bit for the sequel on PS5.
I think it's a mixture of them nailing the new combat style (if they did even an okay job there would still be a lot of salt) and the popularity of the Soulsbourne genre (even though I don't think it's the best comparison, it's close enough to where I can see the resemblance). I'd compare the combat style more to Sekiro than any of the original souls games tbh, they've got the same idea of strafing around your opponent instead of rollspam and a "meter" where once you've done enough damage the enemy staggers and you can go in for the kill.

You do get some combo strings through the skill tree, but yeah they're not nearly as long as the ones you'd find in the OG trilogy. There are certain moves you can link together into those combo strings though, so at least there's that. I honestly think having longer combo chains isn't something impossible for the next game, they won't have the work of completely changing the combat and so they can put that effort into improving what's already there. Having DMC style combos in this new system sounds amazing.

Like Wunderwaft Wunderwaft said, hack and slash will be fine. Platinum pumps out incredibly sound ones like it's nothing (Nier, Astral Chain, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising) and DMC V did amazingly like you mentioned.

Your disappointment is completely understandable though, I'd feel the same way if one of my favorite series' changed so drastically into something I didn't enjoy.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think it's a mixture of them nailing the new combat style (if they did even an okay job there would still be a lot of salt) and the popularity of the Soulsbourne genre (even though I don't think it's the best comparison, it's close enough to where I can see the resemblance). I'd compare the combat style more to Sekiro than any of the original souls games tbh, they've got the same idea of strafing around your opponent instead of rollspam and a "meter" where once you've done enough damage the enemy staggers and you can go in for the kill.

You do get some combo strings through the skill tree, but yeah they're not nearly as long as the ones you'd find in the OG trilogy. There are certain moves you can link together into those combo strings though, so at least there's that. I honestly think having longer combo chains isn't something impossible for the next game, they won't have the work of completely changing the combat and so they can put that effort into improving what's already there. Having DMC style combos in this new system sounds amazing.

Like Wunderwaft Wunderwaft said, hack and slash will be fine. Platinum pumps out incredibly sound ones like it's nothing (Nier, Astral Chain, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising) and DMC V did amazingly like you mentioned.

Your disappointment is completely understandable though, I'd feel the same way if one of my favorite series' changed so drastically into something I didn't enjoy.
I would love it if they tried to make it a bit closer to the originals. But something tells me they won’t.

Sighs.

Hopefully some other big American studio will start working on hack n slashes so the only options aren’t full of anime.

Like. I almost wish there were mods or something to make it closer to the original. If there were I would download all of them.

I guess I should reserve judgement till after I have finished playing it but.... I’m sad now. Very sad.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I would love it if they tried to make it a bit closer to the originals. But something tells me they won’t.

Sighs.

Hopefully some other big American studio will start working on hack n slashes so the only options aren’t full of anime.

Like. I almost wish there were mods or something to make it closer to the original. If there were I would download all of them.

I guess I should reserve judgement till after I have finished playing it but.... I’m sad now. Very sad.
Now, there, it will all be okay. *hands her a handkerchief* An American studio will make a hack and slash game you like someday, not just Sony with God of War.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I guess i’ll Just have to tolerate the anime flavor then.

Don’t get me wrong I love Bayonetta. But while I like DMC, Dante himself is my least favorite part of it. He’s just this arrogant invincible *** with no personal motivation.
So we're just gonna ignore that Dante's motivations are usually family oriented outside of DMC2? Hell, DMC3's narrative is Dante essentially finding his motivation, despite it being a Vergil meme. He even mentions to Lady that thanks to her, "He knows what's really important." In DMC1 his motivation is to Kill Mundus for taking his brother and his mother from him. DMC4 he wants to get the Yamato back because it's a family heirloom, and yet he's also interested in seeing Nero's potential and whether or not he's worthy of keeping Yamato instead.

As for the whole arrogant invincible jackass thing, Bayonetta is literally the exact same in that regard. She dodges nearly everything while Dante tanks nearly everything, and both act like assholes to their opponents. But it's still more or less the same effect.

Personally, I like Dante more because we get what he's about and we get more moments exploring who he is, and the "wacky wahoo Pizza Man" is kind of a front. But that's a bit unfair to Bayo since she's only had 2 games, it'd be more apt to compare her to Nero in that regard, who also only had two games to his name.

I think all 3 characters are fine as they are though.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
So we're just gonna ignore that Dante's motivations are usually family oriented outside of DMC2? Hell, DMC3's narrative is Dante essentially finding his motivation, despite it being a Vergil meme. He even mentions to Lady that thanks to her, "He knows what's really important." In DMC1 his motivation is to Kill Mundus for taking his brother and his mother from him. DMC4 he wants to get the Yamato back because it's a family heirloom, and yet he's also interested in seeing Nero's potential and whether or not he's worthy of keeping Yamato instead.

As for the whole arrogant invincible ******* thing, Bayonetta is literally the exact same in that regard. She dodges nearly everything while Dante tanks nearly everything, and both act like ******** to their opponents. But it's still more or less the same effect.

Personally, I like Dante more because we get what he's about and we get more moments exploring who he is, and the "wacky wahoo Pizza Man" is kind of a front. But that's a bit unfair to Bayo since she's only had 2 games, it'd be more apt to compare her to Nero in that regard, who also only had two games to his name.

I think all 3 characters are fine as they are though.
I didn’t get any of that in DMC when I marathoned the series going up to the launch of V. It just kind of felt like Dante was always just there because he was being paid to be there and things kind of just happened around him. I don’t remember a single moment of character study or development with the man. Granted i’ve only ever gone through each title once (and I still haven’t finished 3 because that final Vergil fight can b*** me). But I still feel like that kind of stuff should stick out and be memorable. Not something the player can miss.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
What is this ama thing and how would I sign up?
AMAs are “Ask Me Anything”s, where you have a dedicated thread where people can ask questions they may have about you.

Usually you just tell the people in charge that you want to have an AMA, which I think is GentlePanda at the moment, but as Shroob said, there’s a pretty long line.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I didn’t get any of that in DMC when I marathoned the series going up to the launch of V. It just kind of felt like Dante was always just there because he was being paid to be there and things kind of just happened around him. I don’t remember a single moment of character study or development with the man. Granted i’ve only ever gone through each title once (and I still haven’t finished 3 because that final Vergil fight can b*** me). But I still feel like that kind of stuff should stick out and be memorable. Not something the player can miss.
The majority of Dante's character growth happens in DMC3. Afterwards his greatest change in growth comes in DMC5.

Ironically, both of those games is where he takes the most in terms of damage and where his vulnerabilities start to show up. DMC4 Dante sure is pretty typical power-fantasy cool-guy but he's a seriously great character that people really undersell because he can do wild stuff.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Snake, it DOES stick out and is ESPECIALLY memorable in 5. We've talked about this before about how Dante is pretty much a broken man who's found reason ton keep going but still has issues. Sometimes people can be just bad at reading subtext

Shroob

Sup?
The majority of Dante's character growth happens in DMC3. Afterwards his greatest change in growth comes in DMC5.

Ironically, both of those games is where he takes the most in terms of damage and where his vulnerabilities start to show up. DMC4 Dante sure is pretty typical power-fantasy cool-guy but he's a seriously great character that people really undersell because he can do wild stuff.
I'm still salty Bayo got in before Dante

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I would say his interest in Nero in 4 has kind of a "Tough Love" angle going on. They show in cutscenes that Dante's wiping the floor with everything much easier than Nero, and that he could even defeat the Savior Statue without much work, but wants to see Nero succeed. With him goading Nero on saying something like "is that all you got, kid?" Or something like that.

Him letting Nero keep Yamato because he knows it's in good hands was a really cool moment I felt.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Snake, it DOES stick out and is ESPECIALLY memorable in 5. We've talked about this before about how Dante is pretty much a broken man who's found reason ton keep going but still has issues. Sometimes people can be just bad at reading subtext
I still disagree. I still never got any of that when I played. And I still argue that if it’s all in subtext, that your not telling your story very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom