• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I think it was a reference to Aegis and Metis.
...alright, but I'm not going to see this as intentional in some form because it make just wayyyyy too much sense to have a song with lots of BABY in it & Samus in the same room.

D

Deleted member

yeah but then there would be no lasting consequences for our heroes failing in infinity war besides like, loki's death

the universe should be shaken up after this event

if it was just reversed and there were no issues or consequences for the biggest event in the marvel cinematic universe to date, it would feel fake
To be fair, Loki's death is the one thing I wish they undid from IW.
Also, Heimdall and Gamora are kill and I honsetly think resetting Quill's and Gamora's relationship is... kinda erasing a big part of the Guardians movies
why though. Why do you want 50% of the universe to have permanent debilitating psychological damage. Just for drama? I’d rather see people happy and living their regular lives. Knowing as an audience member that the heroes saved the day and truly helped these people.
you see this as drama, and character/world building. I see this as heartless writers ****ing up the lives of trillions of people in a way that can never be fixed. You are excited and intrigued by the way you see it, I am so deeply saddened by the way I see it that it prevents me from enjoying the movie.
Stories aren't about being happy all the time.
People suffer, but the reason we watch those kinds of stories do it because they know the heroes will eventually overcome whatever put them down.
It's exactly because we suffer through a number of traumas in real life that we make fictional characters go through the same. Sure, you could say stories aren't supposed to be realistic, but they are still supposed to be believable and relatable. If we see characters managing to live despite their traumas, to overcome their traumas and then tell the cause of said trauma "I will not give up" to their face, we too can feel the same and be given the strength to do the same.

Some may think it's silly to be emotionally inspired by stories but I think that's one of their main goals: to send a message to your audience. Even if it's not some morally or philosophical question or whatever, a simple "what you're going through sucks, but look at this hero that's just like you, he managed to live on so you can too!".
That's why Earn Your Happy Ending or Bittersweet Endings are so effective, because these are the closest we have to real events: things may not be all good and/or a lot may have been lost along the way but what matters is that, from now on, things will be better for those that are still here.

Besides, at the end of the day, these are fictional characters. You're supposed to play God with them and the best writers are the ones who know how to balance the Godly side and the Parental one to your own characters.

D

Deleted member

a Heroes job is to save the common man. When their lives have been made worse, the hero has failed.
the heroes did fail

that was literally the whole point of the snap, our heroes failed and now they have to course correct best they can even if they can't fix it all

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Sorry, I am on mobile and that icon change is relatively new, so I didn't exactly remember who it was. Didn't want to sift through pages, so I just included you guys. That's how I did it.
D3usoEWXkAAGpZD.jpg

Your sin have been forgiven, my child.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Hmmm

I understand, it's Just...

Why is that **** the main focus?
Noone seems to care that it's a great game series, everyone just sees that one part of it and screams bloody murder
Well dating minors, ahem, “1000 year old dragons and adults that just look and act like kids” is very socially unacceptable. It’s quite a point of moral contention. It’s not like people don’t talk about gameplay as map quality, balancing, and strategies are constantly being debated upon in the community, it’s just that romance criticisms are much louder.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

a Heroes job is to save the common man. When their lives have been made worse, the hero has failed.
...Undoing the snap and stopping Thanos isn't saving the common man? You have some weird priorities if you think they haven't done enough for one movie.

OH COME THE **** ON, IT WAS ALL ALIGNED TO BE A GOOD FIRE EMBLEM GAME.
If you don't play Fire Emblem for the dating and have heard great things about the actual plot this time around, how does this make the game bad?

Last edited by a moderator:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Other things to consider:
  • To return rewind everything five years would mess with time even more than they already did
  • They would be "killing" five years worth of children, new romances, etc. A total "there's two sets of train tracks" scenario, not something to be done lightly
  • They're dealing with an obscene amount of power for the first time, so trying to wipe the event from the minds of everyone seems like a dangerous scenario
  • The gauntlet seemingly only brings back people snapped away by the soul stone (see Black Widow). So anyone that dies from accidents, suicide, etc isn't coming back anyways

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also, Heimdall and Gamora are kill and I honsetly think resetting Quill's and Gamora's relationship is... kinda erasing a big part of the Guardians movies

People suffer, but the reason we watch those kinds of stories do it because they know the heroes will eventually overcome whatever put them down.
It's exactly because we suffer through a number of traumas in real life that we make fictional characters go through the same. Sure, you could say stories aren't supposed to be realistic, but they are still supposed to be believable and relatable. If we see characters managing to live despite their traumas, to overcome their traumas and then tell the cause of said trauma "I will not give up" to their face, we too can feel the same and be given the strength to do the same.

Some may think it's silly to be emotionally inspired by stories but I think that's one of their main goals: to send a message to your audience. Even if it's not some morally or philosophical question or whatever, a simple "what you're going through sucks, but look at this hero that's just like you, he managed to live on so you can too!".
That's why Earn Your Happy Ending or Bittersweet Endings are so effective, because these are the closest we have to real events: things may not be all good and/or a lot may have been lost along the way but what matters is that, from now on, things will be better for those that are still here.

Besides, at the end of the day, these are fictional characters. You're supposed to play God with them and the best writers are the ones who know how to balance the Godly side and the Parental one to your own characters.
eh idk

loki had a pretty solid arc and then a redemption arc which ended with him sacrificing himself while attempting to save the only family he had left. i think they did him good

heimdall was important to the thor movies only because of the bifrost, so with that **** gone there's no reason to keep him around. he also served good narrative purpose by saving hulk and all that yeah

and i have faith in gunn to write this 2014!gamora **** well, he's probably got a plan to make it not feel weird

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Well dating minors, ahem, “1000 year old dragons and adults that just look and act like kids” is very socially unacceptable. It’s quite a point of moral contention. It’s not like people don’t talk about gameplay as map quality, balancing, and strategies are constantly being debated upon in the community, it’s just that romance criticisms are much louder.
I don't think questionable morale of FICTIONAL CHARACTERS should weigh this heavily

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Then I guess I just hate good stories then. If THAT is what needs to happen for a story to be good, then I’ll just keep writing bad ones.

Look. I understand what you’re saying. And in any other movie i’d agree. But Endgame is just.... too big.
Personally, seeing fictional characters' struggles help me forgetting about my own temporarily.
Interesting. Cause all it does for me is bring my mood down even lower.

Like I said last night, this is the first time these kinds of fundamental things have prevented me from enjoying a Marvel movie. It would be interesting to binge the whole series back to back and see if it effects it. But right now... I’m just gonna go watch Aquaman and Shazam again. I need a pick me up.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So whose hoping for the next Big Bad of the MCU?

Hoping Kang the Conqueror.

Due to the Avengers and their allies tampering with the natural timeline. Kang seeks to undo it as their actions has lead to a much worst thing in the future.

D

Deleted member

I don't think questionable morale of FICTIONAL CHARACTERS should weigh this heavily
just because they're fictional doesn't make it any less weird lmao
people just don't think a game where the self-insert mc can date a kid is a good game
it ain't that deep

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
The thing about avatar characters is that they’re basically self inserts.
I only really see that with mutes tbh.

If they have an existing personality I dont consider them self inserts

people just don't think a game where the self-insert mc can date a kid is a good game
it ain't that deep
Yeah well I don't see how this weighs as heavily as it does.

As I said, it's not like I, the player, am dating or wants to date a kid

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Other things to consider:
  • To return rewind everything five years would mess with time even more than they already did
  • They would be "killing" five years worth of children, new romances, etc. A total "there's two sets of train tracks" scenario, not something to be done lightly
  • They're dealing with an obscene amount of power for the first time, so trying to wipe the even from the minds of everyone seems like a dangerous scenario
  • The gauntlet seemingly only brings back people snapped away by the soul stone (see Black Widow). So anyone that dies from accidents, suicide, etc isn't coming back anyways
the gauntlet lets you do literally anything. Not there was nothing stopping them from doing whatever they wanted. With that finger snap Hulk was basically a god. The only reason he couldn’t bring back Widow was because of the very nature of the soul stone itself. (Which is a stupid addition to the stone’s rules imo).

D

Deleted member

i've been back for like 15 minutes and we're already discussing the morals of fictional characters dating minors

character growth is overrated

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Are there minors going to this Officers academy in the game or

I haven’t followed too too closely but I was under the impression everyone at the academy is an adult anyway

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
just because they're fictional doesn't make it any less weird lmao
it ain't that deep
What if it's where a self insert mc can date his teacher? Because Persona 5 has something to say about that.

D

Deleted member

the gauntlet lets you do literally anything. Not there was nothing stopping them from doing whatever they wanted. With that finger snap Hulk was basically a god. The only reason he couldn’t bring back Widow was because of the very nature of the soul stone itself. (Which is a stupid addition to the stone’s rules imo).
you probably can't do more than one big act in one snap

otherwise grape daddy would've just destroyed the stones and killed half the universe in one snap

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138

I haven’t followed too too closely but I was under the impression everyone at the academy is an adult anyway
Everyone asumes they're children because they're called "students" and because Fire Emblem has a history with ambiguous relationships.

But good point, I'll use that for my case from here on out

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Everyone asumes they're children because they're called "students" and because Fire Emblem has a history with ambiguous relationships.

The leaders of the three houses are also students so I mean...

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Imma play devils advocate, I dont care about the student x Teacher relationship stuff. As long as the students arent god damn kids then , **** it, let them ****ing date. Dont treat a game like its a student and teacher at Harvard

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

fam you don't gotta form a case to defend **** you like
if you like **** then like it
i like xc2 despite all the controversy surrounding the character designs but i don't foam at the mouth whenever someone mentions them or says that they don't like the game

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Sothis is a choice too and she's the typical "Thousand Year old Kid" bull****

D

Deleted member

All these added rules to the gauntlet that didn’t exist in the comics. All to force the situation these writers wanted.
yeah
the writers make up rules in their story
to fit the story
that sure is how writing stories works
you uh
got me there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom