• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I'm not surprised, it's definitely a similar concept. That's not a bad thing, it expands upon it and goes about a very different way. It has potential, if you ask me.

I need to see Samurai Jack teaching older CN characters in Gym Class, something along those lines.

I also need to see Finn meeting up with Steven as well as having both of them meet up with characters like Dexter and Powerpuff Girls.

And how about we finally find out whatever happened to Robot Jones? He'd be good friends with Robot Boy. And Bobert (I'm not really a Gumball fan anymore, I only seriously followed it until it's second season, but I remember the characters pretty well).
I could see him teaching many classes with physical activity, ESPECIALLY martial arts and swordfighting.

Oh there’d be PLENTY of crossover interaction with the characters, that’s kinda why I’m interested doing this idea in the first place. But yeah I see characters like Finn and Steven being roommates. I think there’s a lot of potential with this setup.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I’m just sick of cartoons about young people. I want to see more shows where the characters are adults. No classes to go to and no social clique drama. Sure, college isn’t done much. But I’m still not into it.
Here's the wild thing about cartoons and their target audience...

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
WHY AM I WATCHING THIS RIGHT BEFORE MIDNIGHT

WHY AM I EVEN FURTHER REMINDING MYSELF OF MY CHILDHOOD RIGHT NOW

MEMORRRRRIIIIIEEEEESSSSS

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Eh, not all cartoons.

South Park, Bojack Horseman, Gary and his Demons, R&M, Aqua Teen Hunger Force are all fun adult-oriented cartoons.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Eh, not all cartoons.

South Park, Bojack Horseman, Gary and his Demons, R&M, Aqua Teen Hunger Force are all fun adult-oriented cartoons.
And Spongebob Squarepants was originally meant to be. You can see the adult humor hidden in their early work.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Eh, not all cartoons.

Huh, do you still call them cartoons even when they are not for children?

*this user can't English*

I forgot if this was between Season 1-3
How the hell this passed under the radar?

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
You can stay
Yay! I love Nia
..in both of her forms..though maybe a little more Blade Form then 'Human' form
This is what I don't get.

The Smash Bros. artstyle, or goal, rather, is to treat every character that's coming into the 2.5D realm with the utmost respect possible, and get each detail to the original right.

The Jump Force artstyle/goal is just "hey, what if anime was actually real lol"
Its just down to a difference in how the teams wanted to do their respective artstyles.
Smash Bros. is about making the characters look like themselves but in a bit more fancy a way with some added details.
Jump Force is about Jump Manga characters coming into the 'Real World', so they decided to make them realistic to match a Real World-style while still keeping their respective art styles.
Whether the latter is good or bad is purely down to your own personal tastes..like myself, I like how it looks. Its different and makes it stand out a bit more from the plethora of different Jump related games that try to stay manga/anime style..and lets be honest, its unlikely they were ever going to top Dragon Ball FighterZ in its presentation if they tried to emulate the anime style.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I guess it’s a race to see which one of us gets to CN first. Because I’m actually gonna make this show someday.
I mean I have doubts my idea would get greenlit anyway, I was just doing this because I thought it’d be fun to think of ideas for this.

Speaking of, KingofPhantoms KingofPhantoms are you still interested in talking more about the CN university idea?

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Eh, not all cartoons.

Yeah, that's the odd thing about cartoons. Either they're targeted towards children on Nickelodeon/Cartoon Network/Disney, or they're targeted towards adults, but the latter is almost exclusively for raunchy humor. I guess because it's not asking adults to take a cartoon seriously.

I do believe there's an untapped market for mature western animation that isn't just comedy. Rooster Teeth's tapped into it with RWBY and Gen:Lock, but they also had a lot of brand recognition to get them started. Though those shows are a little more style over substance, and lean a little into the anime spectrum.

That's actually what I'm planning on doing for my career, in a sense. Creating a mature, animated (2D or 3D), action/adventure sci-fi show that I've been working on diligently for almost 4 years. Though I'm just getting around to writing the pilot this month for a class, I've got nine seasons mapped out in detail. Getting into the business and getting to a position where I can make that happen is what's going to be the hard part.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Alright, I'm ready to start a forum war. Question:

Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon?

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, that's the odd thing about cartoons. Either they're targeted towards children on Nickelodeon/Cartoon Network/Disney, or they're targeted towards adults, but the latter is almost exclusively for raunchy humor. I guess because it's not asking adults to take a cartoon seriously.

I do believe there's an untapped market for mature western animation that isn't just comedy. Rooster Teeth's tapped into it with RWBY and Gen:Lock, but they also had a lot of brand recognition to get them started. Though those shows are a little more style over substance, and lean a little into the anime spectrum.

That's actually what I'm planning on doing for my career, in a sense. Creating a mature, animated (2D or 3D), action/adventure sci-fi show that I've been working on diligently for almost 4 years. Though I'm just getting around to writing the pilot this month for a class, I've got nine seasons mapped out in detail. Getting into the business and getting to a position where I can make that happen is what's going to be the hard part.
Ehhh, define 'raunchy'.

Bojack Horseman's an ugly looking show, but I wouldn't call it raunchy.

More like, "Oh god, I'm 28 years old, I've done nothing with my life and this show is showing me how worthless I feel."

osby

Smash Obsessed

Nickelodeon has a lot of gems but I'll go with Cartoon Network, simply because I feel like they are still making a good number of quality stuff.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I need to head off for the night, so see ya folks later. Anyone else who's headed to sleep soon, I hope you rest well. Have a good night!

I mean I have doubts my idea would get greenlit anyway, I was just doing this because I thought it’d be fun to think of ideas for this.

Speaking of, KingofPhantoms KingofPhantoms are you still interested in talking more about the CN university idea?
I usually enjoy a good crossover idea because of all the possibilities it opens up, all my life I've been interested in imagining how characters from multiple different shows and media I like would interact and play off each other if they ever met, so yeah, I'm interested in hearing more. :p

How the hell this passed under the radar?
Cartoons slip adult jokes and humor under the radar all the time. Some particularly mature and rather dark themes and elements, too. And that example from Spongebob is actually nothing in comparison to what Gravity Falls has achieved.

Which is to say that Disney's censors all but gave up by the midpoint of season 2.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Ehhh, define 'raunchy'.

More like, "Oh god, I'm 28 years old, I've done nothing with my life and this show is showing me how worthless I feel."
Yeah, Bojack Horseman is a comedy, but I don't stay for the jokes. I stay for the nihilism and seeing very real relationships unfold in ****ed up ways.

I feel things after watching every episode of Bojack that I don't with almost any other show.

Shroob

Sup?
I need to head off for the night, so see ya folks later. Anyone else who's headed to sleep soon, I hope you rest well. Have a good night!

I usually enjoy a good crossover idea because of all the possibilities it opens up, all my life I've been interested in imagining how characters from multiple different shows and media I like would interact and play off each other if they ever met, so yeah, I'm interested in hearing more. :p

Cartoons slip adult jokes and humor under the radar all the time. Some particularly mature and rather dark themes and elements, too. And that example from Spongebob is actually nothing in comparison to what Gravity Falls has achieved.

Which is to say that Disney's censors all but gave up by the midpoint of season 2.

This show was precious.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Ehhh, define 'raunchy'.

I haven't seen much of the show, so if it's not raunchy, then that's news to me. But it is comedy-focused, even if it does deal with some heavy themes, As opposed to the other way around, where the themes/characters are the focus, with comedy sprinkled in.

D

Deleted member

And Spongebob Squarepants was originally meant to be. You can see the adult humor hidden in their early work.
Actually, that's just a false rumor that goes way back It was always intented to be a kids show.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

We can talk more about it tomorrow then. I might need time to recall most of the stuff I had for it.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Okay, fine, I've got a few more things to say tonight.

Hmm, let's see...

On hand, Dexter, Samurai Jack, Powerpuff Girls, Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Steven Universe...

On the other hand, classic Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents, Invader Zim, Danny Phantom, My Life as a Teenage Robot, and, since I'm interested in it, Avatar...

Tough call lol.

This show was precious.
People: Disney is for little kids.

Me:

Gravity Falls is my favorite show of all time and this is just one of the many reasons why.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Does Toonami count as Cartoon Network?

And I'm talking about when it was actually part of normal CN, not Adult Swim as it is today :yoshi:
I'm older than you. I know what Toonami you're talking about. ;)

I actually took forever to finish Kenshin because they ****ing moved Toonami to late Saturday night in the middle of the Shisho arc, and one time I was watching Kenshin late at night and my mom came in right when someone was getting viciously murdered and she assumed I was watching R-rated stuff on HBO or something. I wasn't allowed to watch TV after lights out anymore.

Didn't finish the damn show until I bought the DVDs when I was 15.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'm older than you. I know what Toonami you're talking about. ;)

I actually took forever to finish Kenshin because they ****ing moved Toonami to late Saturday night in the middle of the Shisho arc, and one time I was watching Kenshin late at night and my mom came in right when someone was getting viciously murdered and she assumed I was watching R-rated stuff on HBO or something. I wasn't allowed to watch TV after lights out anymore.

Didn't finish the damn show until I bought the DVDs when I was 15.
Did Rurouni Kenshin even get fully dubbed?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Oh yeah, as far as getting crap past the radar goes, we can't forget about Courage the Cowardly Dog.

Courage: giving children everywhere nightmares well before they were old enough to watch R-rated Horror movies.

Return the slab...

You're not perfect.

D

Deleted member

hmm...That's a tough one. it all comes down to which you grew up on or which shows you prefer they both have their pros and cons but I'm gonna edge it out to Cartoon Network. Their Style is better in my opinion and they have classics like Johnny Bravo, Courage, Teen Titans, Even Pokemon for awhile IIRC they have more classic shows which I prefer. Nickelodeon did have Rugrats and Spongebob which are classics but CN has MORE Classics and they also have Toonami under their belt.

CN Edges it out though, So I say Cartoon Network. Nick is good tho but not like I know anything since I'm not an 80's or 90's kid lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
Oh yeah, as far as getting crap past the radar goes, we can't forget about Courage the Cowardly Dog.

Courage: giving children everywhere nightmares well before they were old enough to watch R-rated Horror movies.

Return the slab...

You're not perfect.
God DAMNIT... you've done it now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom