• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Bettah.png

This is my head-canon of what happens after Kirby Dream Land's Extra Mode. (Dedede is sharing all the food to everyone including Kirby, after this both DDD and Kirby had hit off as friends to each other.)

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Hey uuuh Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones I know you're firmly on the side of Spirit Upgrades not happening but reading your comments on them have me thinking and wondering.. If we were to get Spirit upgrades who do you think would be upgraded?

I'm curious cause of you thinking we're not getting any so most of the time I see you talk about spirits is just you going over why you think we won't get any and I don't know if you've even talked about who you think would get upgraded if possible so who do you see getting upgraded if we do get upgrades?
That’s a really great question.

I’d start by at least stating that it truly and honestly depends on how it’s being handled. Are the next characters getting the same treatment as the first pass? Like, stage + music + spirits? If so, I would argue that hampers certain characters, or at least makes it more difficult to really pick it.

I for one would love to see Rex and/or a Torna: The Golden Country character. If they added Rex, they could upgrade the spirit (because it would be new rules), and then add Spirits from Torna: The Golden Country, along with a XC2 character.

I haven’t thought too much else about Spirits I would upgrade, but Rex would likely be my first pick, and potentially my only pick. None of the other Nintendo picks people talk about really excite me despite the fact that I’ve played most of their games.

That's my top destination! I'm a total hockey nerd and I'm stoked to see it one day.

Just gotta save up money first... and plan vacation days once I start my new job later this month.
Same here, i really want to see it one day. I never really visited Toronto, just made a quick stop there a few years ago (while traveling to the west coast).

I'm a pretty big hockey fan too (Montreal Canadiens fan to be precise). I noticed that you're a Leaf fan, you probably watched that crazy game last Saturday :p

(that 3rd period was insane, the Habs got pretty lucky on some of their goals. I doubt it'll go that well in their next matches against the Leafs, they have a pretty scary lineup this year)

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Don't you just love it when a YouTuber critiques the use of recorders in an OST (in this case, Link's Awakening) and calls it "something straight out of a modern Yoshi game"?

That doesn't grind my gears one bit :yoshi:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Don't you just love it when a YouTuber critiques the use of recorders in an OST (in this case, Link's Awakening) and calls it "something straight out of a modern Yoshi game"?

That doesn't grind my gears one bit :yoshi:
tbf, modern Yoshi gave us this nightmare of a track, and I'm still trying to recover from the trauma, 5 years later.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Not to go back to the Spirit conversation, but I have to be honest. I think the one thing that frustrates me with the discussion is that when we discuss it, I(and others) suggest points regarding Spirits and in-game samples, and precedent, as to why I don’t think it’s likely.

Most responses, not just here but on other Smash sites, are, “Yeah, well, it could still happen!”

I hate to say it but in a lot of cases, it seems as though folks are just saying it’s possible because they want it to be possible. This would normally be fine, but it’s...not really based on anything. Like, I still have yet to see why Sakurai, after everything he’s said, and what has literally been done with Ultimate (PP Spirit added only after DLC and fighter, all other non-Veteran DLC save for Corrin has been 3rd party newcomers, and the 2nd pass was decided upon in the same way as the first one was, and the first pass has been all 3rd party thus far, with all of them being completely new to Smash), would suddenly reverse course and add characters that are arguably already “a part of the crossover”.

First party newcomers? It’s possible they could be added. Spirit and/or Assist Trophy upgrades? Why would they happen? Like could they? Sure...never say never. But why would Nintendo, and by extension Sakurai choose to do that?

Even if you consider the idea of a “list” that Sakurai would choose and approve from, why would Nintendo choose to upgrade characters at this point, especially after the first pas has been nothing but 3rd parties new to Smash? I just don’t see it. These are questions that need answers!

Not trying to be rude or anything, it’s just an observation I have. I’m curious is all. What substantiates it aside from fan desire?

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
No, it’s fine. Sorry if I didn’t make that clear enough. Shame you can’t play.
Ah it's alright. Knowing my Minecraft luck, something bad would happen to me and I would instantly quit the game for a couple months, then go back to it, and... uh...

...why does this pattern exist? Why do I let it exist? Holy ****.

D

Deleted member

tbh I'm only here to see how much more mileage Shroob can get out of scoliosis nicknames

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
So yeah. I just learned about the... um... issue that is surrounding Blizzard right now.

...Wow. This is by far the most awkward pre purchase I have ever made.

Shroob

Sup?
So yeah. I just learned about the... um... issue that is surrounding Blizzard right now.

...Wow. This is by far the most awkward pre purchase I have ever made.
It's real ****ty on their part.

.....but I can't help but feel like any company wouldn't do the same if put in the same situation, pretty much everything's owned by China.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Hey! I resent that remark!
why tho.

Again, nothing has indicated that Spirits don’t disconfirm characters. Evidence since DLC started has.

There was no Piranha Plant Spirit prior to release, but it was added when it was made into a Fighter. All other fighters were brand new to the series, and therefore did not overlap with any current Spirits.

Piranha Plant, which did not have a Spirit in base game, only got one when it became a fighter. Essentially, this would imply that the Spirits in the game were made as Spirits because they weren’t fighters. While it’s a nice idea for fans of those characters, there’s simply nothing to indicate that an “upgrade” would happen aside from “it would address fan demand!” Which...could be applied to any character basically not in Smash.

Effectivey, anything concerning Spirits has suggested the opposite. While I myself would love to see a pick like Rex, I firmly see Spirits and what not as indicators that they’re part of the crossover, just not playable. I believe this is touched on in a recent Source Gaming translation, in which Sakurai refers to the Spirits in terms of the “crossover” element of the game.

Again, just temper your expectations until we have an actual reason to assume Spirits don’t disconfirm.
Beforehand, people assumed Spirits disconfirmed because the characters weren't planned for the Fighters Pass, so they just put them as Spirits in the base-game.

This wouldn't be the case for the next round of DLC; I highly doubt a .png will keep them from adding a certain character, much less one in the base-game before they likely started planning extra DLC. It'll just be a Smash 4 Lucas and Mewtwo situation.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
why tho.

Beforehand, people assumed Spirits disconfirmed because the characters weren't planned for the Fighters Pass.

This wouldn't be the case for the next round of DLC; I highly doubt a .png will keep them from adding a certain character. It'll just be a Smash 4 Lucas and Mewtwo situation.
Why wouldn’t it be the case though? Nothing has changed aside from the fact that there’s a new set of DLC fighters coming our way, and there hasn’t been an indication that the vision of Spirits being non-fighters would have changed for any reason.

Even if it’s a new wave of DLC, why would that change the vision of the game or attitude toward Spirits and ATs? That’s what hasn’t been explained by anybody suggesting the idea.

If Sakurai, as he has said, “wants to expand on the record [of series crossing over] as much as possible”, and has five slots to do so, why would he decide to add characters that are already in the game as Spirits, which he counts as a part of the crossover? If he does that, then he literally isn’t expanding the crossover “as much as possible”.(That last bit about Spirits being a part of the crossover was suggested in a Source Gaming translation recently).

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
*sees Joker*

*realizes besides that one movie with the love interest smartphone app, doesn't remember Joaquin Phoenix from anything else*

What else did he do?

Perfect, now I'll never get that out of my head when I rewatch that movie :yoshi:

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Why wouldn’t it be the case though?

Even if it’s a new wave of DLC, why would that change the vision of the game or attitude toward Spirits and ATs? That’s what hasn’t been explained by anybody suggesting the idea.

If Sakurai, as he has said, “wants to expand on the record [of series crossing over] as much as possible”, and has five slots to do so, why would he decide to add characters that are already in the game as Spirits, which he counts as a part of the crossover? If he does that, then he literally isn’t expanding the crossover “as much as possible”.(That last bit about Spirits being a part of the crossover was suggested in a Source Gaming translation recently).
Let's take Geno, for example:

Currently, the only SMRPG stuff are the Geno and Mallow spirits. There's absolutely nothing else from SMRPG save from a couple of exclusive Piranha Plant enemies being namedropped by Viridi, and arguably part of the King Bowser remix. He could take much more from SMRPG and have it crossover.

There's also Shantae, who can't be argued to have anything else save for Risky, because she's the only other Spirit/content from the franchise.

And it's not like the Spirits' lore regarding themselves is some special thing, they're just glorified stickers. You can have multiple of each one, and I highly doubt DLC Season 2 was planned around release, since I think they even based their decision off of the sales the Fighters' Pass was getting.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
All I'm gonna say is:

I'm glad people are starting to realize how ****ing strange the lack of 3 Houses Spirits are.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
*sees Joker*

*realizes besides that one movie with the love interest smartphone app, doesn't remember Joaquin Phoenix from anything else*

What else did he do?

Perfect, now I'll never get that out of my head when I rewatch that movie :yoshi:
How do you think I felt when I discovered ScarJo was Mindy in the Spongebob movie?

D

Deleted member

Hollow fulfillment that makes you feel good for an instant before you go back to being miserable. And then you just keep eating until you’re out $40. All you got from that is $40 poorer and thousands of calories. We don’t try for long term solutions here because those aren’t consistently monetizable. We just sell thousands of short term solutions that make everything worse.

Look up.
I mean, I get where you're coming from, but in my personal opinion, you seem to be pushing yourself a little too much.
Personally, if you can't reasonably afford college, you should save up until you can pay every single penny without going into debt(IMO obviously)
What's really surprising, is when I told my school counselor this, she actually said that I was the first person with that opinion(well I guess you could say plan, because that's how I want to afford college, just work a couple years and horde that MULA until I can afford it. I technically don't need to go to college thou, but it may be worth it just for the possible job opportunities anyway. I'm still debating whether or not it would be financially feasible thou, because my school offers early college starting your Junior year. So not alot of time left lmao.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Let's take Geno, for example:

Currently, the only SMRPG stuff are the Geno and Mallow spirits. There's absolutely nothing else from SMRPG save from a couple of exclusive Piranha Plant enemies being namedropped by Viridi, and arguably part of the King Bowser remix. He could take much more from SMRPG and have it crossover.

There's also Shantae, who can't be argued to have anything else save for Risky, because she's the only other Spirit/content from the franchise.

And it's not like the Spirits' lore regarding themselves is some special thing, they're just glorified stickers. You can have multiple of each one, and I highly doubt DLC Season 2 was planned around release, since I think they even based their decision off of the sales the Fighters' Pass was getting.
That still doesn’t answer my question.

At that point, Shantae and Gene are already crossing over into the game. If we’re speaking in terms of “series with little representation in the game”, why not go for series that literally aren’t in Smash at all? Tales (of Symphonia), Tekken, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Ace Attorney, Astral Chain, are all series with nothing in Smash, and would each expand the crossover immensely. Each would bring in new spirits, music, and stages.

Why settle for something or someone already in Smash, regardless of capacity, when you could continue with the angle already taken and add content entirely new?

These franchises expand the crossover of series while Geno, who is technically filed under the Mario series, and Shantae who is technically already a part of the crossover, so not.

Why retread those picks when there are entirely new ones? That’s my question.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That still doesn’t answer my question.

At that point, Shantae and Gene are already crossing over into the game. If we’re speaking in terms of “series with little representation in the game”, why not go for series that literally aren’t in Smash at all? Tales (of Symphonia), Tekken, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Ace Attorney, Astral Chain, are all series with nothing in Smash, and would each expand the crossover immensely. Each would bring in new spirits, music, and stages.

Why settle for something or someone already in Smash, regardless of capacity, when you could continue with the angle already taken and add content entirely new?

These franchises expand the crossover of series while Geno, who is technically filed under the Mario series, and Shantae who is technically already a part of the crossover, so not.

Why retread those picks when there are entirely new ones? That’s my question.
Idk, man.

If I recall correctly, Sakurai actually just mentioned wanting to expand the world of Smash, which having characters like Geno as playable could still do by bringing more stuff with them than by just having them as spirits.

But meh, in the end, as much as I want Geno, Porky, etc., I don’t know what they’re gonna do. At least my boi Steve definitely still has a shot. Maybe spirits owned by a third-party could still get in, too, if they want to revisit the characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hella unpopular opinion but:
I honestly did not enjoy this DLC all too much. It wasn't necessarily bad as I doubt anything Sakurai could make would be bad but I did not enjoy it at all none of the characters chosen really appealed to me except for Banjo kinda. Joker wasn't a bad choice but he didn't appeal to me, Hero wasn't a bad choice but didn't appeal to me, Terry wasn't a bad choice but didn't appeal to me.

And when I say appeal I don't mean the "oh it's not someone I wanted" kind of appeal which while they weren't characters I wanted I mean to say they aren't visually appealing nor appealing moveset wise (excluding Terry since it would be unfair to judge him when he isn't out) though I guess Hero is a bit of fun really but anywho the only thing that appealed to me besides Hero Dittos and Banjo was the music everything else was "eh".

Speculation was also very limiting and boring with nothing interesting happening throughout the entirety of this year except for like two things speculation wise being the "Erdrick Crusaders" and the Square Seven but nothing else worth noting, It was limiting, boring and stressful with nothing really fun going on with it tbh. Of course the DLC wouldn't be as free as base game but come on it doesn't have to be this limiting. (which is why I want 1st parties to begin with to break up the monotony.)

Point is that while the DLC hasn't been objectively bad or anything cause I doubt anything Sakurai puts out would be bad and I'm happy for others I just don't see the appeal in Smash Speculation nor Smash DLC anymore so if things don't get hella interesting I don't think I'm gonna continue caring about Speculation nor even buying the DLC. The stress and monotony outweighs the fun of speculation nowadays.

Shroob

Sup?
I honestly did not enjoy this DLC all too much. It wasn't necessarily bad as I doubt anything Sakurai could make would be bad but I did not enjoy it at all none of the characters chosen really appealed to me except for Banjo kinda. Joker wasn't a bad choice but he didn't appeal to me, Hero wasn't a bad choice but didn't appeal to me, Terry wasn't a bad choice but didn't appeal to me.

And when I say appeal I don't mean the "oh it's not someone I wanted" kind of appeal which while they weren't characters I wanted I mean to say they aren't visually appealing nor appealing moveset wise (excluding Terry since it would be unfair to judge him when he isn't out) though I guess Hero is a bit of fun really but anywho the only thing that appealed to me besides Hero Dittos and Banjo was the music everything else was "eh".

Speculation was also very limiting and boring with nothing interesting happening throughout the entirety of this year except for like two things speculation wise being the "Erdrick Crusaders" and the Square Seven but nothing else worth noting, It was limiting, boring and stressful with nothing really fun going on with it tbh. Of course the DLC wouldn't be as free as base game but come on it doesn't have to be this limiting. (which is why I want 1st parties to begin with to break up the monotony.)

Point is that while the DLC hasn't been objectively bad or anything cause I doubt anything Sakurai puts out would be bad and I'm happy for others I just don't see the appeal in Smash Speculation nor Smash DLC anymore so if things don't get hella interesting I don't think I'm gonna continue caring about Speculation nor even buying the DLC. The stress and monotony outweighs the fun of speculation nowadays.
Honestly, if speculation is getting the best of you, the best thing to do is to step back and just

Relax, and consider if you want to actually do this at all.

There's nothing on the line, but if it's legit stressful for you, you shouldn't force yourself.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I agree. Fighter's Pass as a whole has been pretty meh.

Joker was cool. Not someone I personally wanted, but okay, really unique design.
Hero... em... how do I put this. I don't like him. At all. His gimmick is unique enough, but he's really overdesigned, with way too much luck at play.
Banjo.. See Joker.
Terry. Nah, honestly he's my least favorite so far. Like don't get me wrong, having a niche(or I guess niche in the U.S har har USA bad) fighter represented is cool and all, but looking at his design, he looks and feels so much like Ryu 2.0(hell, according to people who have actually played his games, he could easily have the exact same ****ing gimmick as Ryu!)

Overall, there are VERY(and I mean VERY, as in like literally only 2-3 characters) few characters that could make the FP a solid "Okay, that was decent" for me. Still haven't even bought it yet(although that's just me spending money on a certain obscure card game lmao)

Last edited by a moderator:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Honestly I kinda checked out of speculation after Banjo.

And I really checked out after Sans.

I’m just enjoying the ride until I decide I’m sick of message boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom