• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
if they show me all their completed national dex then their completion is valid

its like whining about home run contest, you're only gonna try it for 5 minutes once they spend weeks and months bringing it back and then its barely used.
Except I actually played Home Run Contest fairly often. A lot more than I used Stage Builder or played Multi Man, at the very least. I'd wager I'm not alone in this either.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Everyone would've been very confused, I'd imagine.
Ironically enough, Banjo & Kazooie would have been the most obvious back in 1999, as they were still with Nintendo, and was considered one of the biggest "Never gonna happen" until recently. It's still fairly jarring seeing it displayed that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
We know only 3 out of 5 DLC characters, but how would you all rate the fighters pass so far?
With all 3 of these franchises/characters, I’ve heard of all of them but haven’t really played much of them.

Joker- 9.0
Love his moveset. Arsene is a pretty interesting mechanic. Mementos is one of my favorite new stages in Ultimate (even though there aren’t many). His school uniform being an alt was a nice bonus.

Hero- 5.5
Tbh, the only reason why I’m slightly interested in him is the fact that has for DQ Heroes as alts (Eight especially) and the MP/Special system looks very interesting. Standard attacks, the stage, the music and everything else just looks... meh too me. Trailer was great though.

Banjo- 8.5
Like his moveset so far. Love the Spiral Mountain stage and remix. Love that his trailer was a parody of K. Rool’s, who had my favorite reveal during the base roster.

Overall, the pass for me is a 8.0 so far.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ironically enough, Banjo & Kazooie would have been the most obvious back in 1999, as they were still with Nintendo
it was coming out like a few months into smash's development cycle, it was far from obvious except for oblivious little kids

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I think they struck a decent balance

You still go town to town, but on the way you can hang out in this open area and just do whatever until you wanna progress
You aren't really doing anything new in those areas though, it's just the same stuff you would do in normal routes but in a bigger space. Idk. When it comes to innovation, I really liked what S/M did, that was really fun and a new spin on the Pokemon formula. I think this game will good (though I personally don't plan on picking it up right now), I just think that the open world doesn't have much point to it.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Except I actually played Home Run Contest fairly often. A lot more than I used Stage Builder or played Multi Man, at the very least. I'd wager I'm not alone in this either.
You’re definitely not alone. I played that way more than any of the other modes outside of Smash and Classic.

Still kinda sucks that it wasn’t included in the base game. Would’ve preferred that over Stage Builder in 3.0 too.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
The pass is only about a 6 for me. Nobody I care about is on it, and there are no first-parties. Hero's moveset looks kinda interesting but Joker's and BK's just look okay.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
You aren't really doing anything new in those areas though, it's just the same stuff you would do in normal routes but in a bigger space. Idk. When it comes to innovation, I really liked what S/M did, that was really fun and a new spin on the Pokemon formula. I think this game will good (though I personally don't plan on picking it up right now), I just think that the open world doesn't have much point to it.
I'd say the Wild Area and the Island Trials have a similarity here: they're a new interpretation of a basic Pokemon idea.

Island Trials were still challenges leading into boss fights, like gyms were. The Wild Area is still just a route where you can catch Pokemon. But it's new style they bring that's interesting and fun. Island Trials brought new puzzles and ideas to the gym style, and created a different feel from gyms because of this. Similarly, the ability to see Pokemon visibly out of grass feels more "real" than the standard method.

Imo, it's a way to add something unique to a game that's otherwise pretty formulaic.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The pass is only about a 6 for me. Nobody I care about is on it, and there are no first-parties. Hero's moveset looks kinda interesting but Joker's and BK's just look okay.
I'm around a six too. I can't say I really wanted any of the characters, but I'm content with what we have. Even if I don't care about Banjo, it's nice to see Nintendo acknowledge the fans. I've definitely responded better to these guys than I did with Corrin and Bayo.

Still, there's a lot missing from this pass that I'd like to see. I'd really like to see some newer Nintendo reps get in alongside Luminary and Joker.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They'd probably be like "why did you go back in time but not warn us about 9/11 you could have prevented hundreds of deaths" two years later.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Hence why I said "But hey" as yeah one WOULD recognize their favourite game. But Panzoor Dragoon after two goddamn notes makes no sense. staindgrey staindgrey how do you feel about this
I knew.

It's a sound specific to the series and I actually own the remastered soundtrack for Panzer Dragoon Saga and the original soundtrack for Panzer Dragoon Orta.

I knew it after two ****ing notes myself. And I also freaked out. If my brother were on Smashboards he could vouch for me.

It's essentially like if you heard the ring bling before a Sonic trailer or the transforming sound before a Transformers trailer.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I see one more post that's just "imagine showing someone this x amount of years ago"

I will legitimately

unironically

travel back in time

and smack the person who started doing that.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I haven't seen the treehouse footage, so maybe I'm completely wrong, but the addition of open world areas to pokemon seems utterly pointless. The formula of pokemon is all about going to the next town and fighting in the next gym. It's not about exploration in any way, except for finding the occasional hidden item. Pokemon simply doesn't gain anything from going open world. I thought it was a dumb idea when everyone was suggesting it prior to SwSh too.
I've always seen exploration as an important part of Pokemon. It's an adventure, even if its a largely guided one. Hidden areas don't just hide rare items, but sometimes Pokemon as well.

One of my favorite memories from my first playthrough of Fire Red was finding the hidden power plant and discovering Zapdos inside it.

Pokemon has been more linear in recent years, but opening the world up some more and creating more areas to explore and discover was one of my biggest hopes for this game.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Hey Smashboards. Check out my haul from my day in Columbus. (It's all videogame related.)

20190615_211604.jpg

I love Warpzone and Capital Games.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I've always seen exploration as an important part of Pokemon. It's an adventure, even if its a largely guided one. Hidden areas don't just hide rare items, but sometimes Pokemon as well.

One of my favorite memories from my first playthrough of Fire Red was finding the hidden power plant and discovering Zapdos inside it.

Pokemon has been more linear in recent years, but opening the world up some more and creating more areas to explore and discover was one of my biggest hopes for this game.
I wished they opened areas up in the way metroidvanias do with plenty of paths off the beaten paths and hidden areas.

A simple swathe open area doesn't interest me if there's actually nothing interesting about it.

D

Deleted member

"Why does Joker look so different? What the heck? Is this promoting some new Batman movie?"
"Why Joker before Batman?"
"Who is this stripper in my Smash Bros?"
Also, can we pay our respects to Hero?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
This was pretty funny.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

The clip I think is from a movie called "From Beijin With Love". Seems like a James Bond parody.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I wished they opened areas up in the way metroidvanias do with plenty of paths off the beaten paths and hidden areas.

A simple swathe open area doesn't interest me if there's actually nothing interesting about it.
this is what I'm talking about

any game can have an open world, but for it to really be interesting it needs to be built around it, like Arkham City or Botw. Nothing's lost from Sw/Sh going open world but it doesn't really feel like anything's been gained either, at least to me.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
User was warned for this post; flaming
I haven't seen the treehouse footage, so maybe I'm completely wrong, but the addition of open world areas to pokemon seems utterly pointless. The formula of pokemon is all about going to the next town and fighting in the next gym. It's not about exploration in any way, except for finding the occasional hidden item. Pokemon simply doesn't gain anything from going open world. I thought it was a dumb idea when everyone was suggesting it prior to SwSh too.
Yes it is?
The whole point of these games was going on an adventure with a team you created

Than again you seem to really want a defend a billion dollar corporations terrible decisions for some reason and call any consumer who complains about valid things a "whiny fanbaby"

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Than again you seem to really want a defend a billion dollar corporations terrible decisions for some reason and call any consumer who complains about valid things a "whiny fanbaby"
The hell are you talking about? That post was literally criticizing one of their decisions and I can assure you I've never called anyone a whiny fanbaby.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

Yeah, I'm kind of worried the rest of the region will be super linear without much else to explore again.

I'm hopefull they'll at least make bigger more open routes and side areas as well but I'm not counting on it.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
The hell are you talking about? That post was literally criticizing one of their decisions and I can assure you I've never called anyone a whiny fanbaby.
It was probably someone else I mistaken you for

Either way keep **** flinging at Gamefreak. They deserve it. Ever since their "MOBILE BOOGEYMAN" excuse for not adding Battle Frontier I've had enough of their incompetence.
Im sure the GF employees will live.
The more people voices are heard the better their response will be. Maybe the next game will be brimming with content the 3DS games didnt give us.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Alright, time to separate the Plebs from the Chads.

Who was the best Total Drama camper?
Cody prove me wrong.

Noah and him made a great team in later seasons and played off of each other well

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
It was probably someone else I mistaken you for

Either way keep **** flinging at Gamefreak. They deserve it. Ever since their "MOBILE BOOGEYMAN" excuse for not adding Battle Frontier I've had enough of their incompetence.
Im sure the GF employees will live.
The more people voices are heard the better their response will be. Maybe the next game will be brimming with content the 3DS games didnt give us.
I'm finding it hard to support the cause when I see stuff like this twitter bit I found earlier. You keep doing you, but I have my limits.
https://twitter.com/GamerTakes/status/1139240004776071168
Godspeed, Jon, you beautiful man. Can’t wait for tonight’s Fortune Cookie!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom