• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey, quick question for any Tekken fans here:

What's the best platform to get Tekken 7 on? Wanna look into that game at some point but I'm unsure if I should go PC or PS4.
if you want an online experience, having a good PC will always have better load-times and free online, however if you plan on going to tourneys (or have a bad PC), PS4 is preferred due to being the tournament standard.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Why is this an argument? The games you mentioned were limited by their hardware of their time, and ran and looked beautiful back then as they maximized what they had at their disposal.

Sword and Shield genuinely runs at 15fps at certain points and re-uses 3DS animations. Textures are missing, and they have cutscenes that look like early 2000s stop-motion animation. It looks like a GameCube game in these areas.

Graphics have context. The visual style is key. Sword and Shield do not have a pleasing style in areas like the wild area and battle backgrounds, nor is it consistent. Undertale has a style that fits and is consistent throughout the game.

The difference is that they said they removed content to improve the animations and graphics. They did not do that.
I think there are two different arguments to be had here. The first is that "gameplay is more important that graphics", which, I believe goes without saying. Certainly, games have context to why they have the graphics they do, but it's still flawed to say, "If it looks bad, it sucks." Graphics being "bad" is subjective anyway, but there is nuance in the art style/graphic style chosen for specific games.

When it comes to Sword & Shield, I'm not making excuses for Game Freak. I was making the point that I will likely enjoy the games because of the gameplay that Pokemon offers, and that that is what makes it consistently a best-seller. Graphics have never been the selling point. The gameplay is what sells it.

Granted, the flaws being that many gameplay aspects have been cut, the animations aren't what they said they were going to be, and they should be able to do better. I suppose what one could say is, that Sword and Shield won't necessarily be bad games, but bad Pokemon games. At least, that's more or less what I'm expecting.

The weird thing in all of this is that while it may seem as though I'm disagreeing with people who are upset, I'm really not. I'm mainly just arguing against negativity. We could sit here for days talking about how bad things look, but despite these things, I'm sure I'll still have fun with the games. To me, that matters most.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey, quick question for any Tekken fans here:

What's the best platform to get Tekken 7 on? Wanna look into that game at some point but I'm unsure if I should go PC or PS4.
Fighting Games on console have always had larger playerbases and are the versions used in tournaments, but PC performs better (if you have a good one) and you don't have to pay for PS+. Really it comes down to what you would rather prioritize.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

if you want an online experience, having a good PC will always have better load-times and free online, however if you plan on going to tourneys (or have a bad PC), PS4 is preferred due to being the tournament standard.
Fighting Games on console have always had larger playerbases and are the versions used in tournaments, but PC performs better (if you have a good one) and you don't have to pay for PS+. Really it comes down to what you would rather prioritize.
Can't you just use a PS4 controller and it'll be the same or am I missing something? I also wanna play Tekken 7

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Ok, so like, to my understanding, the boss ghosts of Luigi's Mansion were like a family + friends, with Bogmire being the cementary spirit, and the Boos being... Boos.

But like, what the **** was Jarvis? And were the Clockwork Soliders alive? HOW?

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Tournaments aren't a factor for me and I have a gaming PC, so I'll go with PC. Thanks!

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Luigi's Mansion 3 doesn't really commit to the "haunted hotel" theme. Some floors make perfect sense, like the lobby, suites, kitchen, garage, boileroom, fitness center, dance room and the master suites. I just presume the flower floor is just another suite floor that got hijacked by the plausible gardener of the hotel. Some are a little off but not by much like the shops and music theater. A prehistoric museum? Um... okay. But what about that medieval arena floor? Is that supposed to be like Medieval Times? Why would a hotel have that? And a pirate-themed resort with a full ocean? And a goddamn film studio?!!! Even if the ghost of that floor is such a sweetheart?!!! And to top the nonsense off...

An.
EGYPTIAN!
T O M B!!!

In a hotel :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

Can't you just use a PS4 controller and it'll be the same or am I missing something? I also wanna play Tekken 7
A bunch of PS4s are easier to acquire and set up than a bunch of $1000+ gaming rigs.

Shroob

Sup?
Ok, so like, to my understanding, the boss ghosts of Luigi's Mansion were like a family + friends, with Bogmire being the cementary spirit, and the Boos being... Boos.

But like, what the **** was Jarvis? ANd were this Clockwork Soliders alive? HOW?
Pretty sure it was just a collection of ghosts from around the world with the only direct family being the 5 in the left wing(Orville, Lydia, Chaunchy, the brothers and the uncle.)

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah I get you. I was speaking as someone who already had a gaming rig.
I mean yeah if you have a PC that runs Tekken 7 why not? Again PC fighting games tend to have smaller playerbases if crossplay isn't a factor but if you don't care about that and aren't going to tournaments why not get the version that runs better and has free online?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If they did that exact same subplot in one of the games, I guarantee no one world give a kahoot. So why would doing it in the movie be such a problem?
Nah, introducing another sibling to the Dante and Vergil dynamic would be pretty dumb. Even in game.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

But like, what the **** was Jarvis? And were the Clockwork Soliders alive? HOW?
I mean, it is a haunted mansion, it is inferred that all the spirits that were left in there likely died within that house and whose deaths were probably cause by King Boo.

Luigi's Mansion is still one of the most unique games I've ever played. It's literally an E Rated Horror game.

MooMew64

I mean yeah if you have a PC that runs Tekken 7 why not? Again PC fighting games tend to have smaller playerbases if crossplay isn't a factor but if you don't care about that why not get the version that runs better and has free online?
As odd and probably lame as it sounds, I actually am okay with fighting CPUs in fighting games, so if I can't find anyone online I'd be okay playing locally with friends and on my own. PC sounds like the best fit for me, seeing as it's my preferred platform most of the time.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Not quite the topic but I wanted to share some thoughts on my ideal Luigi’s Mansion game, Mario would be the player two with a Poltergust as well and the two would team up working side by side to take down King Boo and Bowser Jr. (who would be betrayed by the former towards the second/third act) King Boo would be targeting E. Gadd which would cause him to go into hiding while still communicating with the brothers and instead of just putting everyone in paintings, King Boo would focus on using magic to possess characters instead, with his ultimate goal being to permanently possess Mario.

D

Deleted member

As odd and probably lame as it sounds, I actually am okay with fighting CPUs in fighting games.
You should go one step further: Watching CPUs fight. It's weirdly fun as Hell especially if you make your own story out of it.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
If I had to split up speculation stages like Ace Attorney/Danganronpa games, it would go along the lines like this

BASE, GAME 1

Trial 1. E3/Ridley Arc
Culprit Ridley
Trial 2. Vergeben/Simon Arc
Culprit: Simon Belmont
Trial 3. K Rool V Ashley Arc (2 & 3 Coincide)
Culprit: King K Rool
Trial 4. Loz 18/Earthquake Arc
Culprit: Isabelle
FINALE, Trial 5: Grinch Leak/Box Theory Arc (FINAL SHOWDOWN)
Culprit: Incineroar

DLC, GAME 2

Trial 1. Hitagi/Xenother/VGAs Arc
Culprit: Joker
Trial 2. Brave/Erdrick Arc
Culprit: Hero
Trial 3. Steve V Banjo/E3 Arc (Again, 2 & 3 Coincide)
Culprit: Banjo Kazooie
Trial 4. Shifty/SNK Arc
Culprit: Terry Bogard
FINALE, Trial 5. Mii Costume/Absolute Chaos Arc (FINAL SHOWDOWN)
Culprit: TBA

I should start writing hypothetical scripts for all of this soon, lol

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
My most wanted Monster Hunter rep for Smash Ultimate is Deviljho, same with Glavenus, Rajang and Lagiacrus too. (fight me.)
Pickle Joe.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really enjoy Alpharad's CPU tournaments! Fighting game AI has always fascinated me.
Some of it can be insane and fun.

For example, Meta Knight ****ing sucks against Donkey Kong, for some reason Vincent really is better than other brawlers you can make, Isabelle either loses Round 1 or wins the tournament, Sonic is the worst ****ing character to watch, and Ryu can go for some weirdly hype stuff despite the shoryu being a better option.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
My most wanted Monster Hunter rep is Deviljho, same with Glavenus, Rajang and Lagiacrus too. (fight me.)
View attachment 246412
Speaking of Lagiacruz, I really wish they'd bring him back for World as I always loved his design. Sadly, it seems that Capcom had an issue bringing him forward into the base game and said not to expect him anytime soon, so he's (and likely Mitzu and Ludroth) probably out until the next game at the earliest.

At least Glavenus came back with the Iceborne pack.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm just over an hour into Undertale. Really, really, funny. Really unique game.

Looking forward to getting through this.

D

Deleted member

How do you set THAT up? I’d love to do an elimination style tournament to determine the best Smash character.
Go to tournament mode, make your ruleset (look up EVO rules 2019 if you want a reference), set stage selection to random and choose which stages you wanna see (again, reference EVO), and then just make everybody CPUs. Only issue is you can't make a double elimination ruleset with tourney mode.

If you wanna set up an ELO ranking, Braacket.com has you covered.

MooMew64

How do you set THAT up? I’d love to do an elimination style tournament to determine the best Smash character.
I haven't looked up the specifics of his setups for 'em, I've just watched a few of 'em (mostly his Vincent videos). I think it may be possible to fill tournament mode with CPUs?

EDIT: @Bolderousness explained it pretty well.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Also LM3 locks achievements behind its multiplayer mode.

It's a single-player game. Let me 100% complete it without having to resort to other people!!! :yoshi:
I mean if it has a multiplayer mode then it's not a strictly singleplayer game...

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Go to tournament mode, make your ruleset (look up EVO rules 2019 if you want a reference), set stage selection to random and choose which stages you wanna see (again, reference EVO), and then just make everybody CPUs. Only issue is you can't make a double elimination ruleset with tourney mode.

If you wanna set up an ELO ranking, Braacket.com has you covered.
NICE! I know what I’m doing this weekend! How do you think I should seed the bracket?

D

Deleted member

NICE! I know what I’m doing this weekend! How do you think I should seed the bracket?
Ask me again after your first tourney. You shouldn't have any rankings or seeds for your first tourney starting off since everybody is canonically new to your league.

E: (This is my clever way of dodging the question because I don't know how to seed yet.)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Ask me again after your first tourney. You shouldn't have any rankings or seeds for your first tourney starting off since everybody is canonically new to your league.

E: (This is my clever way of dodging the question because I don't know how to seed yet.)
I don’t wanna just do it by number though....

Is there an official tier list for the characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom