• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Rabbids Kingdom isn't first party, though...

So we pretty much only have Xenoblade 2 and Pokemon Let's Go, so far, iirc
Thanks for specifying, can't believe XB2 slipped my mind.

First-party characters in a third-party crossover do not a first-party game make. It's only for a first-party console.

So, until further notice, Xenoblade 2 is the best first-party RPG on the Switch. I hope this silly debate is settled.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
"First-party" being the key word here.
First-party develop? Or First party made? And then again,
Okay, if only limited to Nintendo published, besides XC2, you have Octopath Traveler, TOWN, Pokemon Sword and Shield, Astral Chain, Fire Emblem Three Houses and DQ 11, made by Square Enix but it's confirmed that Nintendo is publishing it.

If talking about Nintendo in house developed, yeah there's Mario RP
If you really being picky and want Nintendo first party developed rpg... well then I have to say there's issue with this tbh...
They don't, because none of them are first party...

EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d
They don't...count?
To be frank why does it even matter? I thought he's trying to find rpgs to play on Switch so...

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
i mean, those exsist, Japanese Idols, who are mostly girl bands
From what i’ve seen of idol groups, they’re not quite what I’m talking about. Boy bands have this strange vibe to them that I haven’t really seen replicated. Like, it’s somehow innocent, sexual, dominant, and submissive all at once. Somehow in equal measure.

Then again, idol groups aren’t that big stateside so I might just not know enough.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Well, about that, not sure. Does a prequel/spin-off for mobile phones muddle the waters?
I don't think so, besides Square Enix developing the game, the PC port was being published by Square Enix as well. And Nintendo only handle the Switch publishing outside of Japan according to Wikipedia.

So, until further notice, Xenoblade 2 is the best first-party RPG on the Switch. I hope this silly debate is settled.
As a Xenoblade fan I agree, but I personally think third party rpgs like Valkyria Chronicles 4 is on the same league as well. Also what debate?
And not really once Pokemon Sword/Shield and Three Houses drops lol.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
From what i’ve seen of idol groups, they’re not quite what I’m talking about. Boy bands have this strange vibe to them that I haven’t really seen replicated. Like, it’s somehow innocent, sexual, dominant, and submissive all at once.
*points to K-pop girl bands*
they are all about that

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
anyway i made an actual legit non-****post stage - a first attempt at the restored temple of wind from bravely (K7LKVX4T)
it's got a low stage boundary, but because it is the temple of wind, a gentle breeze along the bottom will help stop you from falling too quickly

i'll probably give the visuals another pass over at some point, because god damn is it frustrating to try and make bravely stages without stone, sakurai

D

Deleted member

jesus **** gwen's this close to 100k likes

the evil must be felled and it must be felled now

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
From what i’ve seen of idol groups, they’re not quite what I’m talking about. Boy bands have this strange vibe to them that I haven’t really seen replicated. Like, it’s somehow innocent, sexual, dominant, and submissive all at once. Somehow in equal measure.

Then again, idol groups aren’t that big stateside so I might just not know enough.
Yeah sounds very idol group-y

Honestly I’m of the opinion that idol groups aren’t just Asia-locked either. We’ve got a ton here under different names.

I’d call the Backstreet Boys an idol group.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
jesus **** gwen's this close to 100k likes

the evil must be felled and it must be felled now
Who would reach 100k?

Well respected, hilarious and friendly members

Or

One **** taste grill

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Can you post some good examples? I don’t trust google.

Like I said, the trend isn’t that big in America, and there certainly aren’t many homegrown American groups that do this.
idk why you say you dont trust google, it aint gonna hurt you but anyway, Look up "Female K-pop bands" on youtube. like Girls Generation, Sistar, ect

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Just popping in a day late to specify that a .mchp file is a cached vertex animation. You take a model, run non-realtime physics simulation on it, and then store the changes each vertex makes throughout the length of the animation into a cache file. This allows you to run an animation that alters each vertex position on each frame to look exactly like it was driven by physics, without it actually being driven by physics. It's stored data that, when played in realtime, appears to be dynamically calculated, and is one of many tricks video games use to render as fast as they need to. It is not simply a placeholder template for any kind of hair, like he offers as a potential explanation; it's specifically linked to the exact mesh and even a single vertex out of place renders it unusable.

I haven't spent any time studying Ultimate or its physics engine to state this definitively, but the mere presence of a cached vertex animation suggests that the in-game hair isn't physics driven at all. It only appears that way because every animation a character has has a corresponding hair animation that was calculated in Maya.

What can we conclude based on this? "Jane" was far enough along in the development pipeline to have cached vertex animation. This means that she'd already have a model, said model would already be rigged, said rig would already be animated, and only then, the animation was used to calculate the way the vertexes will animate. Whoever "Jane" is, she was/is near the very end of the development pipeline, and I very much doubt she's scrapped content for that reason.

Here is what she is not:

1.) Any of the background characters. Joker is still referred to as "Jack" in the code, post-release, while all his party members (most notably, of course, being Ann) are referred to with their respective P5 codenames. Ann is "panther," not Jane.

2.) Morgana. It's been suggested the ponytail is Morgana's tail, but Morgana's tail is not a vertex animation. It's a skeletal bone animation that may have secondary physics attached to it under certain animations, but this is a wholly separate spring joint physics system, rather than cached Maya hair. This sort of system is considerably less expensive to render in realtime and is used all over the place.

This poster is correct that, usually, the female and male alts alternate. This isn't only different gender alts, however, but all separate model alts. The two versions of Link, Ike, Wario, Cloud and Bayonetta also alternate, despite not being divided by gender. Therefore, the alts do not alternate because they are separated by gender, they alternate simply because they're alts. There's a notable exception to this, however. Olimar and Alph are separated with four Olimars, and then four Alphs.

I believe this sets a precedent for characters that are explicitly different characters to not alternate, but instead separate them into two groupings. They may be the same character functionally, but they are not the same character thematically. What little we know about this new Persona girl suggests that, even if she fulfills the same in-universe role as Joker, she is still a different character, being at the very least in a different year. It's likely that, as with P3's female protagonist before her, she'll also have a different name and different personality. Even if she is "Joker," she very much will not be just the distaff counterpart to the male version. We'll know whether this is truly the case or not next week.

There is also the fact that, when a character only has one or two alts, they are always the last costume slots. Mario, Little Mac, and Ridley are all this way, and now Joker is, too, with his c06 and c07 alts being his school outfit. I believe it is completely in line with current conventions if Joker's last two slots were originally intended to be female Joker, perhaps only getting two instead of four because she's not an established character and it's unknown yet if she'd be as warmly received as male Joker has been. And taken at face value, the "Jack6" and "Jane1" strings are connected. If Joker originally had four Jane alts, then "Jack6" would be "Jane3," but if he only had two, then "Jane1" would, indeed, be correct.

With this established, I think the notion that "Jack6_C06_v01_070925.mb" and "Jane1_pony_hairSystemShape2.mchp" are wholly separate strings only coincidentally next to each other in the junk data is unlikely. Possible? Yes. But I'd bet against it. Instead I'll offer a much simpler explanation:

These two separate files are next to each other in the junk data because they were stored in the same folder. Because that's exactly the correct workflow for this kind of thing. Your character file is stored next to its necessary secondary files, like animations and caches. These secondary files are then referenced into the main mb file when needed. This makes it easy to replace them, and the next time you load the mb asset, the new file is automatically loaded in.
Thanks for writing that up. I just want to add something about the file string. They're not even 'really' seperate files because maya does deal with multiple extensions. Specifically, hair cache files save as those long strings with '.mb' before the mchp's name. I posted this image in the past, but you can see the file names look exactly like what was found (I maked it in red):

Screenshot 2019-02-23 09.47.51 (2).jpg

(should be able to click on the image to see bigger)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom