• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Okay wait.

Maybe I was wrong about the vouchers.

From what I understand you have until July 31st to buy them, but they're good for a whole year, and the list of games they're good for will expand as the year continues?

Honestly I might just work my *** off, buy 4 vouchers, and save them for upcoming games. I imagine we'll be seeing releases like Sword and Shield and DQ XI, and I'm definitely interested in getting those. I know I want Astral Chain, and I might just buy Three Houses depending on how the leaks go.
tumblr_pqgp1nyVeJ1uqrfrco1_500.gif

That's the long and short of it, yeah. As long as you buy 'em soon, they'll be good until 2020, and you'll have more games to buy with 'em as time goes on.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
View attachment 220795

That's the long and short of it, yeah. As long as you buy 'em soon, they'll be good until 2020, and you'll have more games to buy with 'em as time goes on.
>Isekai Quartet gif

Man I got to look into that too for my reaction images.

I still can't ****ing believe they made an isekai cinematic universe. What's next? An imuoto cinematic univer-

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 12.11.01 AM.png

oh my god

Last edited:

Hinata

Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Come to think of it, the fact that some of us admit we have our own story stuff is pretty neat, although there have been subtle implications of this months back. I even recall sharing a plot synopsis of my story in the defunct social thread.

...I have a ton of characters... Drawing is fun, so I'll provide two OCs from my catalogue. Also, BIG SCANS! Click at your own risk!
What my site avatar would have been if I didn't have a current desire to start fresh with a redesign closer to a tux style protagonist:
Karnera Mythos Color 1.png

The whole "KarneraMythos" thing that I was asked about for username origins? That's essentially the embodiment behind it. Just an OC thing.
I am also quite shamelessly inspired by other works. The source of inspiration should come off as no surprise.
Kaleido Stratos Color 1.png
[/SPOILER

I should get back to drawing and coloring again. Last one I did was last year, with an incomplete set of alternate colors to boot. The perpetual cycle of sleepiness and artist's block...
Tired_Stu.JPG

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Come to think of it, the fact that some of us admit we have our own story stuff is pretty neat, although there have been subtle implications of this months back. I even recall sharing a plot synopsis of my story in the defunct social thread.

...I have a ton of characters... Drawing is fun, so I'll provide two OCs from my catalogue. Also, BIG SCANS! Click at your own risk!
What my site avatar would have been if I didn't have a current desire to start fresh with a redesign closer to a tux style protagonist:
View attachment 220796
The whole "KarneraMythos" thing that I was asked about for username origins? That's essentially the embodiment behind it. Just an OC thing.
I am also quite shamelessly inspired by other works. The source of inspiration should come off as no surprise.
View attachment 220797[/SPOILER

I should get back to drawing and coloring again. Last one I did was last year, with an incomplete set of alternate colors to boot. The perpetual cycle of sleepiness and artist's block...
View attachment 220800
That...

Is a lotta spikes.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Since we're talking ships (vaguely; I only just dropped in and am trying to read back like ten pages), I have a question regarding romances in games.

Dragon Age II and Dragon Age Inquisition took two different approaches to making companion characters romanceable. In DAII, all romantic interests were bisexual; regardless of what your player character's gender is and no matter how "good" or "bad" your decisions, they'll always be romanceable. DA:I, by comparison, set limits on which characters are into what (i.e. Cullen not being into elves, Cassandra not being into women, Sera only liking women and being way more attracted to Qunari than elves, Solas only liking Elven women, etc.). And only some characters would respond well to a "rivalry romance" like in DAII.

Which is more important regarding these romances in RPGs: making as many options available to the player as possible or crafting more unique characters with their own preferences that won't necessarily coincide with the player's choice? Basically: wish fulfillment or world building?

D

Deleted member

IMO the best ship is friend-ship. Platonic interaction is underused but when people do emotionally connect without necessarily having to be in a "relationship" it's such a great payoff. That's not even related to my prudish dodging of sexual attraction I just feel like more characters should be allowed to be emotionally close not only without the involvement of physicality but without the concept of only ever being allowed to emotionally open up to one person at a time which in turn means dating and getting married and having sweet little babies ever after.

Although I do note some people for whatever reason have a really hard time wrapping their heads around the concept of platonic relationships, though. In the most extreme circumstances I get the impression a few people don't even understand maternal love, which is just. . .kinda creepy and sad.
I fully understand what you're saying and let me tell I live for that ****. In fact, I'd say the most important relationship in my story is between the protagonist and her best friend, which is completely platonical.
I love me some "friends that would die and kill for each other" and I was mainly inspired by Eliwood and Hector from FE7 and a bit of Rey and Finn from Star Wars.
Their friendship is one that was forged from necessity, initially hating each other due to their wildly different perspectives, they had to get past their differences to survive a life-or-death situation and their bond has only grown stronger ever since. If anyone were to threaten their friend, it wouldn't take a second for them to put a blade on that person's neck and one of them was willing to follow the other into hell when they were accused of a grave crime, not because they believed in their innocence, but simply because it didn't matter whether or not their friend had done such a thing.

I also made a point to having them be a girl and a guy with "compatible" orientations because I heavily dislike the notion that men and women cannot be close friends without ****ing.

So hell yes, platonic shipping gang represent

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
On one hand the Nintendo Switch Online vouchers sound like a really good deal considering Nintendo games don't normally go on sale, but like, on the other hand I've been trying to pick up a mooooostly physical collection for my Switch when I can (the two exceptions I'm aware of so far being games that had physical releases only well after I bought them) and I actually. . .already own almost a third of the games on the voucher list. And I'm generally absurdly picky when it comes to game picks.

On the other other hand it's a really good excuse to try to coax as many people here as possible into buying Splatoon 2 as part of a package deal if they haven't picked it up already. :ultinkling:

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
View attachment 220799

Isekai Quartet is so ****ing dumb, and I love it.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Funny/IsekaiQuartet

Just read a couple entries on this page and you'll see what I mean.
Something about it gives me Carnival Phantasm nostalgia...

That...

Is a lotta spikes.
And it isn't armor either, or at least not worn armor anyway. The idea was to have him emit his alternate form as he appears in his native dimension, like a reality bleed of sorts. All of the spikes are just a weak wavelength of that dimensional interaction, so what you see in the drawing is his "Earthling" appearance. He looks like a mechanical draconic humanoid in his home dimension. The reason I'm changing it is because even with context, it's gotten overbearing for me. That's why the redesign's gonna be closer to what Hyde wears, except an outright suit rather than a uniform. I get to keep the "sharp" look, spiritually-speaking.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

>Isekai Quartet gif

Man I got to look into that too for my reaction images.

I still can't ****ing believe they made an isekai cinematic universe. What's next? An imuoto cinematic univer-

View attachment 220798

oh my god
View attachment 220799

Isekai Quartet is so ****ing dumb, and I love it.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Funny/IsekaiQuartet

Just read a couple entries on this page and you'll see what I mean.
I should probably watch Isekai Quartet tbh, loved Konosuba and ReZero so I should enjoy it too, right?
Screenshot_20190513-081904~2.png

Hinata

Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I should probably watch Isekai Quartet tbh, loved Konosuba and ReZero so I should enjoy it too, right?
I mean, it's more content for the characters from those shows, which is always a good thing.

The sad part is each episode is only 11 minutes long, but at least that means it's not much of a time commitment.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Since we're talking ships (vaguely; I only just dropped in and am trying to read back like ten pages), I have a question regarding romances in games.

Dragon Age II and Dragon Age Inquisition took two different approaches to making companion characters romanceable. In DAII, all romantic interests were bisexual; regardless of what your player character's gender is and no matter how "good" or "bad" your decisions, they'll always be romanceable. DA:I, by comparison, set limits on which characters are into what (i.e. Cullen not being into elves, Cassandra not being into women, Sera only liking women and being way more attracted to Qunari than elves, Solas only liking Elven women, etc.). And only some characters would respond well to a "rivalry romance" like in DAII.

Which is more important regarding these romances in RPGs: making as many options available to the player as possible or crafting more unique characters with their own preferences that won't necessarily coincide with the player's choice? Basically: wish fulfillment or world building?
I prefer the latter. Personal player decisions on which characters to romance shouldn't take precedence over established lore.

In cases of the former you get things like Robin and/or Corrin who feel like they're above all other characters both mechanically, storywise, and character-wise being able for them to choose whomever they want purely because they're somehow more special than the rest.

Basically unless you're a dating sim, that kinda takes you out of it.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
When you are 2 hours into ****ing up a drawing and she gives you this look:
20190516_010025.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would buy that Voucher thing but I think my money is better spent on a 2DS, There's this local store around my place that has a 2DS on sale for like 70 dollars. Unfortunately it's that ****ty looking 2DS but it's better than nothing. Anyways I'm thinking of picking that + a 3DS game up with my money.

Hopefully with that I may be able to pick up a copy of Fates for the Erdrick Bet but we'll see, I was going to pick up Fighterz for the Switch instead but I heard that it's online isn't very good and isn't very active.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I would buy that Voucher thing but I think my money is better spent on a 2DS, There's this local store around my place that has a 2DS on sale for like 70 dollars. Unfortunately it's that ****ty looking 2DS but it's better than nothing. Anyways I'm thinking of picking that + a 3DS game up with my money.

Hopefully with that I may be able to pick up a copy of Fates for the Erdrick Bet but we'll see. I was going to pick up Fighterz for the Switch instead but I heard that it's online isn't very good and isn't very active.
Bro Fates as a whole is like $80 for all three paths. It's not worth it for a bet you don't even know if you'll lose.

Just play Blazing Sword on an emulator. It's okay.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Depends on what kind of game you are going for. If the player character has their own character, making everyone romanceable ends with forced relationships most of the time, imo. But if you have a complete blank slate, more options work better, since you wouldn't want to limit player for nothing.

Personally, I prefer less options with better reasoning. World building is important to me and I don't want developers to waste time writing ships for every single character (like how I ignore 95% of the romantic routes in Persona). If there is a ship I like and game doesn't provide it for me, there's always fanfiction.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
One really good exploration into character interactions I would highly recommend is Pyre from Supergiant Games.

There, romances and friendships only come about post-game in a character ending and as a result of both previously held conversations and the circumstances of the story, which can change radically between each player.

Pyre is the definition of how to make nothing you do technically preventing you from reaching the ending, even losing every single fight, yet at the same time because your ending is predetermined, it feels far more personal and that every decision made matters far more.

ALSO IT'S A GAME ABOUT ****ING MAGIC BASKETBALL, HO-LEE ****, I HATE SPORTS AND I LOVE THIS GAME.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Mario Maker 2 releases the day after my Birthday so that's neat.

I guess this is going to be me when I buy my vouchers this June.

D

Deleted member

Bro Fates as a whole is like $80. It's not worth it.

Just play Blazing Sword. It's okay.
Why couldn't I just buy one version of it? I mean, I only buy one version of Pokemon and that series is a lot more known for having differences between games so I would've imagined that it's okay to buy one version of Fates.

And even if I do get a 3DS/2DS it's not only cause of that but there are games in that library that I want to play like Sun/Moon, The Phoenix Wright games, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Maybe EO, Etc.

Hinata

Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Why couldn't I just buy one version of it? I mean, I only buy one version of Pokemon and that series is a lot more known for having differences between games so I would've imagined that it's okay to buy one version of it.
The two aren't really comparable. Pokemon's game differences lies in what Pokemon you can catch in any given version. Meanwhile, the three different versions of Fates are all completely different stories. They're basically three entirely separate games that happen to star the same cast.

And the terms of the Erdrick bet stipulate that those who play Fates must play all three routes.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Why couldn't I just buy one version of it? I mean, I only buy one version of Pokemon and that series is a lot more known for having differences between games so I would've imagined that it's okay to buy one version of Fates.

And even if I do get a 3DS/2DS it's not only cause of that but there are games in that library that I want to play like Sun/Moon, The Phoenix Wright games, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Maybe EO, Etc.
They're 2 entirely different games that just share the same mechanics, engine, and world.

It's basically like if Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask released at the same time.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

Depends. The former is more of a sexuality sandbox if that makes any sense. You forego an aspect of characters that would make them a bit more unique all across, but the anything-goes aspect allows players to choose whoever. On the same front, that makes the player character bisexual by default, regardless of the player's romantic and sexual orientation.

The latter is for worlds where the writers are focused on the artistic value of the setting they created, not caring about whether or not it's in the player's power to romance certain characters. They just are. However, the player character is once again mostly bisexual in this setting because while you might not be able to hit it off with certain NPCs, there are other bits in the sea.

The Everyone Is Bi trope works best when a story is romance-heavy, but a world can be compelling with or without that trope so objectively-speaking, there is no "better" option. The more restrictive option is the more realistic variant at the end of the day, but given how they're both written anyway, I don't play them as myself, and I tend to avoid the romance as well.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Games like Kid Icarus: Uprising.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Fates' versions are vastly different in gameplay and map design philosophy.

Pokemon, by contrast, differs exceptionally little between versions outside of the roster of capturable mons, with some minor exceptions like Gen3/ORAS' Team Aqua and Magma.

While I rag on Fates for a lot of things, when they said they were going to make what is effectively three different FE games, for better or worse that's exactly what they did.

D

Deleted member

The two aren't really comparable. Pokemon's game differences lies in what Pokemon you can catch in any given version. Meanwhile, the three different versions of Fates are all completely different stories. They're basically three entirely separate games that happen to star the same cast.

And the terms of the Erdrick bet stipulate that those who play Fates must play all three routes.
Well uh, I can just get around to buying them after I finish the respective games like after I finish Conquest I can play Birthright then Revelations.

I did say hopefully I never said I will just that I could hopefully get around to doing that, Maybe. I just don't want to seem like some sort of coward and that I have the easier bet. If I have the easier bet it would just leave a bad impression.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

If you've got more reasons than Fates go for it.

Though I'd buy a refurbished Nintendo 2DS XL off of Nintendo's Online Store instead of that beat up used 2DS. It's only about $30 more and for that you're getting larger screens, better processing, access to the three New 3DS exclusive games, and they're practically new too so it's not all beat up.

I can let you in on a little secret to handle the games too ;^)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

FINALLY, I CAN GET SOME SLEEP!
As you see, I have been sleep deprived lately.

I can not wait for summer, because...
Freedom from sleep deprivation.

Good night!

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Well uh, I can just get around to buying them after I finish the respective games like after I finish Conquest I can play Birthright then Revelations.

I did say hopefully I never said I will just that I could hopefully get around to doing that, Maybe. I just don't want to seem like some sort of coward and that I have the easier bet. If I have the easier bet it would just leave a bad impression.
It's still $80 you have to shell out. The difference is whether it's sooner or later.

Also, we all agreed you could play Blazing Sword. No one thinks you're a coward or anything bad for it.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Though I'd buy a refurbished Nintendo 2DS XL off of Nintendo's Online Store. It's only about $30 more and for that you're getting larger screens, better processing, and they're practically new too so it's not all beat up.

Stop.

Nintendo needs to be paid for copies of Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Pirate something else.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
All the OC and shipping talk's gotten me feeling like man I really should get back to writing some **** again.

1555300679296.gif

Eeeyup.

Really should.

D

Deleted member

Fates dividing itself into two games and one DLC route is still the dumbest thing ever when they advertised it as a game about choices since the beginning. Fates as a whole was dumb but the dumb started on this.
One really good exploration into character interactions I would highly recommend is Pyre from Supergiant Games.

There, romances and friendships only come about post-game in a character ending and as a result of both previously held conversations and the circumstances of the story, which can change radically between each player.

Pyre is the definition of how to make nothing you do technically preventing you from reaching the ending, even losing every single fight, yet at the same time because your ending is predetermined, it feels far more personal and that every decision made matters far more.

ALSO IT'S A GAME ABOUT ****ING MAGIC BASKETBALL, HO-LEE ****, I HATE SPORTS AND I LOVE THIS GAME.
You have me completely lost on what Pyre is actually about

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Stop.

Nintendo needs to be paid for copies of Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Pirate something else.
Woah. That's a big leap of logic there buddy.

What about the wonder of buying used games from shops such as Best Buy, Amazon, or your local game store? Or r/3DSdeals, where 3DS deals are posted daily?

I will have you know I am offended you would even think such a thing of me.

tumblr_pc2n03XAmX1waey3po6_250.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Though I'd buy a refurbished Nintendo 2DS XL off of Nintendo's Online Store. It's only about $30 more and for that you're getting larger screens, better processing, and they're practically new too so it's not all beat up.

Well the 2DS the store is offering is both refurbished and comes with the remake of OoT so it's kind of a good deal all things considered. Also what's that thing about handling games?

It's still $80 you have to shell out. The difference is whether it's sooner or later.

Also, we all agreed you could play Blazing Sword. No one thinks you're a coward or anything bad for it.
Well maybe not but if I'm gonna be honest, I always wanted to try Fates just to see how bad it is and if people are over exaggerating or not.

Also because it's in line with what the original bet said. If it's bad well then that makes the bet even worse which is good in my opinion, If it's over exaggerated well then so be it.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995

What about the wonder of buying used games from shops such as Best Buy, Amazon, or your local game store? Or r/3DSdeals, where 3DS deals are posted daily?

View attachment 220805
Nice save expuroshun.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Fates dividing itself into two games and one DLC route is still the dumbest thing ever when they advertised it as a game about choices since the beginning. Fates as a whole was dumb but the dumb started on this.

You have me completely lost on what Pyre is actually about
Aight here's the long n short of it.

You get exiled from home.
You meet a band of other exilees.
They form a magical basketball team.
You fight other magic basketball teams. Whoever wins the magic NBA championship gets to send an exile home, which removes them from the roster permanently.

Meanwhile you draft more players and they form relationships with each other and even opposing teams which can positively or negatively impact how they play on the field.

Ultimately, you're gonna roll credits win or lose, but meanwhile every single character gets a unique ending depending on choices you made during the plot and how things pan out for them.

Just play it, dude.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

View attachment 220805
Sympathy brain: *hhhhnggggggggggg-*

Logic brain: "Who winks at used game purchases"

D

Deleted member

I kinda prefer the second option where characters have set preferences due to actually giving them more character, but think it actually depends on how the bisexual approach is taken.

Sometimes the writers just change a few things in the dialogues regarding romanceable options if its bisexual so it feels kinda lazy as I would prefer something more to differentiate the character I'm playing. Still this sometimes can be an issue in the option where not everyone has the same orientation and just the bisexual characters fall on this.

Hinata

Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

View attachment 220805
Of course we shouldn't pirate games. Even if they're older 3DS games, Nintendo still deserves the money they'd get from the sale.

tumblr_inline_p7fxurKKMX1rp03bq_250.png

however i can teach you how to get custom firmware on your 3ds easy peasy, and well, whatever you do with it after that is up to you

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Sympathy brain: *hhhhnggggggggggg-*

Logic brain: "Who winks at used game purchases"
The spendthrift DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon obviously.

No kidding I actually really like finding deals for stuff. I found a riser for an Arcade1Up machine for $5 at Walmart the other day (they typically retail for $40-$45, and can go upwards of $120 if sold by scalpers) and I was pretty excited.

I'm hoping they announce an MvC machine soon so I can get one for when I have my own place.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom