• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate sells over 12 million copies in its launch month

IronTed

Smash Ace
Nintendo's Q3 report just dropped, and as usual we have updates for software sales. With less than a full month of sales, Ultimate has sold 12.08 million copies. This puts it a bit behind the combined total of the Wii U and 3DS versions, and narrowly behind Brawl's LTD. It is now the Switch's 3rd best selling game, behind Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Mario Odyssey. It is also the second highest first quarter sales for any Nintendo game in history.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
With less than a full month of sales, Ultimate has sold 12.08 million copies.
Not just less within a month, more like less than 4 weeks lol.

Just amazing how Smash sells that fast, funny enough many gaming journalists, and Youtubers don't consider Smash Ultimate a huge seller despite this game us like the best ever in the series.

I won't be surprised it is gonna be the best selling Switch game this year

IronTed

Smash Ace
Not just less within a month, more like less than 4 weeks lol.

Just amazing how Smash sells that fast, funny enough many gaming journalists, and Youtubers don't consider Smash Ultimate a huge seller despite this game us like the best ever in the series.

I won't be surprised it is gonna be the best selling Switch game this year
Yeah, many people only looked at the results of previous games and thought Ultimate would only sell Brawl numbers. Smash has become huge, it's basically the video game equivalent of the Avengers. I made a prediction thread about Ultimate's lifetime sales. I was and am still in the 20-25 million camp. Most people were bullish, but anyone who thought it wasn't going to break 15 million is in for a rude awakening lol.

Ultimate was straight up the best selling Switch game in 2018 despite being available for, 25 days? Insane. Also broke notable records in Japan and the U.S. But it's impossible for it to be the best selling Switch game this year, between AC and Pokémon Gen VIII. It would be insane if it was though.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yeah, many people only looked at the results of previous games and thought Ultimate would only sell Brawl numbers.
Em... actually some people like me expect Smash Ultimate to sell past Brawl, but some think how long varies... but overall the negative consensus was that Smash Ultimate won't drive Switch sales, not to mention meet the 20 million sales per fiscal year goal... now it can easily surpass Brawl at this point. This marks Smash Ultimate becoming the best selling fighting, and maybe even the fastest selling fighting game and Nintendo Switch game.
Smash has become huge, it's basically the video game equivalent of the Avengers.
Hahaha, what's funny was that Smash was the first and most popular crossover franchise, whereas comics... sure DC did it first, but it was Avengers that popularized the movie cinematic universe. Also many memes were from both Avengers and Smash back in 2018 too, and there's a Youtube video where they made Avenger trailers with Smash characters, check them out.

I made a prediction thread about Ultimate's lifetime sales. I was and am still in the 20-25 million camp. Most people were bullish, but anyone who thought it wasn't going to break 15 million is in for a rude awakening lol.
Yeah, I don't think most of them are bullish though... they were mostly from those Youtubers and journalist who just recently pay attention to Nintendo... or just not a huge Smash fan.

Not to mention you will STILL have those naysayers once again making excuses such as "BUT... bu..bu-bu-but... Smash Bros isn't a fighting game. HA!" And you will reasons that we've heard dozens of times, and they all just involves with elitism and conservatism among both gamers and competitive fighting community...

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/787187-Best-Selling-Fighting-Games-of-All-Time
Like bruh, I've check the best fighting game list in one of a forum, this rainless dude is pretty hilarious... this was what I was mentioning about when it comes to conservatism in the FGC.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Em... actually some people like me expect Smash Ultimate to sell past Brawl, but some think how long varies... but overall the negative consensus was that Smash Ultimate won't drive Switch sales, not to mention meet the 20 million sales per fiscal year goal... now it can easily surpass Brawl at this point. This marks Smash Ultimate becoming the best selling fighting, and maybe even the fastest selling fighting game and Nintendo Switch game.
Of course everyone has different views, but I've seen people (mainly on bigger forums that aren't Nintendo-centric) say things like "everyone who wants Smash has a Switch" or "Smash isn't as big as its fan think it is" (the irony is the latter may be true, but not in the way the statement was intended). Ultimate is the fastest selling home console exclusive ever, and the second fastest selling exclusive behind only Pokémon Sun and Moon. Another interesting fact is that as a franchise, Smash has surpassed Tekken as the best selling fighting game franchise of all time (obviously Smash sells way more per entry, but it doesn't have as many entries as other IP's).

Yeah, I don't think most of them are bullish though... they were mostly from those Youtubers and journalist who just recently pay attention to Nintendo... or just not a huge Smash fan.

Not to mention you will STILL have those naysayers once again making excuses such as "BUT... bu..bu-bu-but... Smash Bros isn't a fighting game. HA!" And you will reasons that we've heard dozens of times, and they all just involves with elitism and conservatism among both gamers and competitive fighting community...

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/787187-Best-Selling-Fighting-Games-of-All-Time
Like bruh, I've check the best fighting game list in one of a forum, this rainless dude is pretty hilarious... this was what I was mentioning about when it comes to conservatism in the FGC.
Yeah, people wanting to exclude Smash as a fighting games always seemed like damage control to me. People want to put genres into really small boxes and it shows. Same type of people who say Splatoon isn't a shooter I guess.

Minor nitpick for that thread, but the Melee sales are wrong. He links to vg sales wiki (neat site but they can be really garbage, especially their figures for earlier Sega systems), which takes ResetERA as a source. The ERA thread (really great source) has Melee at 7.41 million, yet somehow, despite literally linking to it, they put it at 8.12 million.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Of course everyone has different views, but I've seen people (mainly on bigger forums that aren't Nintendo-centric) say things like "everyone who wants Smash has a Switch" or "Smash isn't as big as its fan think it is" (the irony is the latter may be true, but not in the way the statement was intended)
Hoho, that's only the nicer ones. The most cynical one I've ever seen was "ReAson wHy SMaSh seLLS well is because THERE'S NO that many GAMES TO PLAY ON THE SWITCH!"
LOL, eat their heart out...

Same type of people who say Splatoon isn't a shooter I guess.
Yeah, like how people complain Splatoon isn't a shooter when it won the "best shooter game" at the Game Awards... Funny enough , I guess they changed it to "best multiplayer game" to include more competitors or to eliminate those complaints.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Hoho, that's only the nicer ones. The most cynical one I've ever seen was "ReAson wHy SMaSh seLLS well is because THERE'S NO that many GAMES TO PLAY ON THE SWITCH!"
LOL, eat their heart out...
LOL, the "Switch has no games" and "Nintendo fans are starved for games" comments never get old. Yes, millions of people have guns to their head and are forced to buy Nintendo games for a system they don't want lol. When you think about it critically for 5 seconds you realize how absurd that line of logic is, especially in an era where cross-console ownership is hardly rare, but logic has no place in console wars, which are serious business after all. The cherry on top of all that is that Switch software sales have been ridiculous as well. I can't imagine going into Xbox/PlayStation threads and acting like that, seems like a waste of energy.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, do we know how close it'll get to Brawl's sales? If I'm not mistaken, Brawl had over 12 million in sold copies, but that was over it's lifetime.

Ultimate's off to a good start at least.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
LOL, the "Switch has no games" and "Nintendo fans are starved for games" comments never get old. Yes, millions of people have guns to their head and are forced to buy Nintendo games for a system they don't want lol. When you think about it critically for 5 seconds you realize how absurd that line of logic is, especially in an era where cross-console ownership is hardly rare, but logic has no place in console wars, which are serious business after all. The cherry on top of all that is that Switch software sales have been ridiculous as well. I can't imagine going into Xbox/PlayStation threads and acting like that, seems like a waste of energy.
I mean... it seems that these kinds of people considers Nintendo games NOT FUN, so that's why... but the thing is Nintendo Switch games, especially the first party are all very good. And sure Nintendo Switch still has less third party support compare to Sony and Mircosoft, but what they don't realized is that, Nintendo consoles have always driven sales by their own games... even back in the SNES era.... And heck, if you think about it... Nintendo is the technicaly only video game company where they could sell games and consoles ALL BY THEMSELVES.

But hey, it is what it is... this is the internet afterall, and it's actually more funny to see these kinds of arguments.
So, do we know how close it'll get to Brawl's sales? If I'm not mistaken, Brawl had over 12 million in sold copies, but that was over it's lifetime.

Ultimate's off to a good start at least.
Nah, Brawl is barely over 13 million... so that actually means that Ultimate will surely surpass Brawl this year. Heck.... I believe Ultimate already surpass Brawl at this point, because the current factual data was have was by the end of 2018, and that was when Ultimate was only out for 24 days (Less than 4 weeks)!

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
I mean... it seems that these kinds of people considers Nintendo games NOT FUN, so that's why... but the thing is Nintendo Switch games, especially the first party are all very good. And sure Nintendo Switch still has less third party support compare to Sony and Mircosoft, but what they don't realized is that, Nintendo consoles have always driven sales by their own games... even back in the SNES era.... And heck, if you think about it... Nintendo is the technicaly only video game company where they could sell games and consoles ALL BY THEMSELVES.

But hey, it is what it is... this is the internet afterall, and it's actually more funny to see these kinds of arguments.
True, if anyone else had third-party support comparable to what Nintendo has (or had), they would fail. They're definitely unique in that, which presents different advantages and disadvantages.

Nah, Brawl is barely over 13 million... so that actually means that Ultimate will surely surpass Brawl this year. Heck.... I believe Ultimate already surpass Brawl at this point, because the current factual data was have was by the end of 2018, and that was when Ultimate was only out for 24 days (Less than 4 weeks)!
This is correct, Brawl is at 13.29 million. By the next quarterly report Ultimate is guaranteed to be ahead. Whether or not it will have sold enough to outsell Smash 4's combined sales is the more interesting question.

Brawl is strange though. Nintendo actually still manufactures the game and sells it brand new, in limited quantities of course. Not sure who's buying new copies of Brawl in 2019, but good for them I guess.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
True, if anyone else had third-party support comparable to what Nintendo has (or had), they would fail. They're definitely unique in that, which presents different advantages and disadvantages.

This is correct, Brawl is at 13.29 million. By the next quarterly report Ultimate is guaranteed to be ahead. Whether or not it will have sold enough to outsell Smash 4's combined sales is the more interesting question.

Brawl is strange though. Nintendo actually still manufactures the game and sells it brand new, in limited quantities of course. Not sure who's buying new copies of Brawl in 2019, but good for them I guess.
Maybe not this year but probably it will surpass Smash 3ds and Wii au combined sales early next year.

And my guess is probably those who still owns Wii U and Wii? I could argue that people buy it also want to mod it but yeah, I don't know either lol.

Top Bottom