• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Red Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
First off, some terminology:

Green Team- The fans. Enjoy speculation, watching/playing in tournaments, playing the game in general, and just drinking it in.

Red Team- The anti-fans. Like the series, but want to steer it away from trouble.

D7: December 7 2018, the release date of SSBU.

Now that we got that out of the way: it's time to discuss the Red Team.

SSBU is filled with speculation and hype from fans the world over. There has been little thought spared as to wether the game will meet this hype (hyped games usually don't). Instead, bringing up concerns is usually discouraged by the Green Team. Red Teamers are something of a minority on Smashboards and you hear very little from them from a Smash game's first trailer to its release.

Red Teamers are nothing new. Their biggest moments on SB were when Brawl came out and when the DLC characters in SSB4 came out. Upon Brawl's release, the Red Teamers were the ones who claimed it wasn't the best after it had been out for a while. And those who brought up concerns about character balance in Smash 4 were Red Teamers. And these did not have a negative effect on the overall quality of the series, but a positive one. First off, Brawl still exists and it's still the best-selling Smash game, and the one most younger newcomers discover the series through. The criticisms of it have improved future installments and were the inspiration for Project M. And if we didn't have Red Teamers in Smash 4, Cloud and Bayonetta would still be even more overpowered than they are now. Red Teamers haven't made any Smash game disappear or go away. And in the event that Ultimate has major problems, Red Teamers will be among the first with the mega-patch suggestions.

Here are some rules and guidelines for Red Teamers:

Green Teamers are not your enemies. You both like the Smash series and they just like it more. You are not there to combat them, but rather, you are the watchdog protector class.

Do bring up points of dissent and install places in Smashboards where dissent is encouraged. This is not a license to break the rules and do things that would get threads closed. And especially don't let your threads become echo chambers. That's not what being a Red Teamer is for. And white knighting other Red Teamers is never okay.

From D7 to January 1, don't post on Smashboards. Or at least greatly reduce your SB posting. Red Teamers are not just there to complain or join a clique. Good Red Team threads depend on your ability to play the game for weeks and fully experience it before you're even sure if you want to become a Red Teamer. Encourage Green Teamers to do the same if they love the game so much.

Build your posts around other peoples posts. Red Teamers would rather have better Smash games than be "correct" about things.

Who is a Red Teamer already? I can't list them all, but Red Teamer concerns have thus far mainly been about:

The paid online (which SSBU is spearheading) and the quality of said online

Character balance and bloat

This game not being different/upgraded enough from Smash 4

And we would like to be wrong.

One last thing: Red Teamers have standards. If you are someone who frequently gets threads closed as well as not following the other above rules very well, we don't want you no matter how small and drowned out we may be. I had a thread about pre-ordering unknown future DLC (which might contain a Labo stage for all we know) which no Green Teamer had a problem with because they were pre-occupied with projecting their dream characters/stages onto each of the "packs" in the Fighters Pass. Independent of my own actions, a Green Teamer and a Red Teamer had a flamewar with each other that lasted an entire page before the thread was closed. It wasn't my fault, said Red Teamer was being uncouth, and I would not allow behavior like that onto the Red Team.
I look forward to seeing this thread explode next year!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
Genuine question: did you make up this Red Team/Green Team thing? Where did this terminology come from? Please clarify where you got this from.

This is a topic literally designed to cause division and discrimination based on arbitrary (based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system) conditions, qualifiers, and behavior patterns. You literally, actually called someone out by name and said they're not allowed to be part of this Red Team thing.

I'm asking you, as someone who wants you to continue to engage with the community and have meaningful discussions, to stop making topics like this. Evaluate what that means for yourself, but in the meantime, I'd like to ask a mod to lock this topic once they see this post.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
but in the meantime, I'd like to ask a mod to lock this topic once they see this post.
No, no, I'd like to see what happens here. Might actually be interesting.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
This is a.... wierd topic to say the least.

What you describe as "red team" are not "anti-fans". They're fans with concerns. They don't love the game less than the supposed "green team" (In some cases, it's quite the opposite!). And what you describe as "green team" rarely (if ever) are fans who have absolutely nothing to criticize about the game. These are not "teams". They're barely even different mentalities. I'd argue they're not even different period, cause there's a massive overlap. Like, I'm seriously having trouble understanding what you're saying. There are no teams. Neither of your "teams" contradicts the other. Both "mentalities" (if they're even that) are fully compatible.

Just screw labels, man, we're all fans of the series.

Last edited:

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
"Red Team" and "Green Team" comes from traffic lights. Also Team Battles in Smash can be Red or Green color.

As I see it, most discussion of the game is guff, with Ultimate fans pre-emptively determining how great SSBU will be while starting pages of threads on which dream characters to join in. Discussion outside of that, especially when not involving peak excitement, is limited. You would think the people posting on SB are secretly Nintendo PR people (not saying they are, but that tactic has been used on other game series' before). There may be hundreds of threads about SSBU, but little discussion. Just endless accolades for a game that isn't out yet, like there's so much constant cheering in a crowd, a concert can't even begin. Nothing negative anyone says about SSBU will keep it from existing. If you think I haven't made any valid points, then don't go to my threads to respond to them and just enjoy the game. You tell us to "don't buy if you don't like" but I would say the same for you. If you think the paid online and pre-order DLC are worth it, then buy them. Go ahead, buy the $85 edition of the game and get a year of subscription for the ultimate experience.

The ironic thing is, I suspect that on D7, I will be playing the game extensively while most of you will still frequent Smashboards.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
You just made up this terminology, no one has ever used it before.

And as a request from the majority of SB, can you please stop making negative threads? All you do is spam threads complaining about what you don't like about the game even though it hasn't been released yet.

This alone doesn't warrant its own thread, and it's only going to stir up flame. It should be closed.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't see why you can't be a normal fan who likes speculation, thinks/hopes the game will be great, but in the end will be okay with issues and doesn't act like everything has to be 100% perfect; said people who do act the extreme way you seem to describe I hardly see at all. Some users who say "Sakurai is an incredible mastermind/god" mean it metaphorically and are not actually being serious as if he's not human, with some probably still seeing issues with his work, and hoping he get's a lot of rest since he nearly works himself to death.

And no matter how much you try to "steer away trouble" there's always going to be those immature fans who don't give a crap about what you say and will continue ranting about how "Sakurai hates the fans!" as if he ignores characters or game issues because he wants to anger/disappoint people.

Some of these things are also subjective, i.e. the paid online, the character balance, the amount of characters, etc. You can't just say they're "bad" as if it's fact; state your concerns where Nintendo can listen, sure, but don't act like people are wasting money when they're probably able to afford stuff just fine, or that their opinion that these things aren't issues is incorrect or based on Nintendo-bias, because while some people may be Nintendo-biased a lot of others honestly don't care and like it just fine.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
First off, some terminology:

Green Team- The fans. Enjoy speculation, watching/playing in tournaments, playing the game in general, and just drinking it in.

Red Team- The anti-fans. Like the series, but want to steer it away from trouble.

D7: December 7 2018, the release date of SSBU.

Now that we got that out of the way: it's time to discuss the Red Team.

SSBU is filled with speculation and hype from fans the world over. There has been little thought spared as to wether the game will meet this hype (hyped games usually don't). Instead, bringing up concerns is usually discouraged by the Green Team. Red Teamers are something of a minority on Smashboards and you hear very little from them from a Smash game's first trailer to its release.

Red Teamers are nothing new. Their biggest moments on SB were when Brawl came out and when the DLC characters in SSB4 came out. Upon Brawl's release, the Red Teamers were the ones who claimed it wasn't the best after it had been out for a while. And those who brought up concerns about character balance in Smash 4 were Red Teamers. And these did not have a negative effect on the overall quality of the series, but a positive one. First off, Brawl still exists and it's still the best-selling Smash game, and the one most younger newcomers discover the series through. The criticisms of it have improved future installments and were the inspiration for Project M. And if we didn't have Red Teamers in Smash 4, Cloud and Bayonetta would still be even more overpowered than they are now. Red Teamers haven't made any Smash game disappear or go away. And in the event that Ultimate has major problems, Red Teamers will be among the first with the mega-patch suggestions.

Here are some rules and guidelines for Red Teamers:

Green Teamers are not your enemies. You both like the Smash series and they just like it more. You are not there to combat them, but rather, you are the watchdog protector class.

Do bring up points of dissent and install places in Smashboards where dissent is encouraged. This is not a license to break the rules and do things that would get threads closed. And especially don't let your threads become echo chambers. That's not what being a Red Teamer is for. And white knighting other Red Teamers is never okay.

From D7 to January 1, don't post on Smashboards. Or at least greatly reduce your SB posting. Red Teamers are not just there to complain or join a clique. Good Red Team threads depend on your ability to play the game for weeks and fully experience it before you're even sure if you want to become a Red Teamer. Encourage Green Teamers to do the same if they love the game so much.

Build your posts around other peoples posts. Red Teamers would rather have better Smash games than be "correct" about things.

Who is a Red Teamer already? I can't list them all, but Red Teamer concerns have thus far mainly been about:

The paid online (which SSBU is spearheading) and the quality of said online

Character balance and bloat

This game not being different/upgraded enough from Smash 4

And we would like to be wrong.

One last thing: Red Teamers have standards. If you are someone who frequently gets threads closed as well as not following the other above rules very well, we don't want you no matter how small and drowned out we may be. I had a thread about pre-ordering unknown future DLC (which might contain a Labo stage for all we know) which no Green Teamer had a problem with because they were pre-occupied with projecting their dream characters/stages onto each of the "packs" in the Fighters Pass. Independent of my own actions, a Green Teamer and a Red Teamer had a flamewar with each other that lasted an entire page before the thread was closed. It wasn't my fault, said Red Teamer was being uncouth, and I would not allow behavior like that onto the Red Team.

Also, CrazyHand2001 is also not allowed on the Red Team. Please try to get him banned for a while if he posts on this thread. He can do what he wants where he wants, but not here.

I also have the suspicion that LuigiFan18 might also be a Red Teamer. Remember, Green Teamers are not our enemies.

I look forward to seeing this thread explode next year!
First: I'm not a part of a team just because you said so.

Second: This team stuff is way too black-and-white and won't get you anywhere since people are a lot more complex than that.

The ironic thing is, I suspect that on D7, I will be playing the game extensively while most of you will still frequent Smashboards.
I'm going to do both, it's called free time, look it up.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yeeeeeeah, this isn’t going to fly as a thread. It’s basically inviting hostility with very little discussion value. Plus, don’t call out two members of the site and invite open hostility to them. We don’t do that here on Smashboards. If you have an issue with another member, come to the staff and we can handle it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom