• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate pays homage to Melee in special tournament event

Ultimate_homage.jpg

Ultimate’s newest event, “A Tribute to Melee” (“Melee is Life” in Europe) will pay homage to Melee through it’s online tourney mode. This tournament will only allow players to compete with characters, stages, and items introduced in Melee (asides from Smash Balls, which were introduced in Brawl). The full list can be found here.

In addition, some of the characters were posed in the notification to look like their character portraits back in Melee. GameXplain has provided comparisons with a thumbnail that uses the same image.

The “A Tribute to Melee” event will take place from January 3, 2020 and will last until January 6, 2020.

Author’s Note: What do you think? Pretty cool, right? I definitely think so. Let us know in the comments below!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

When I first started up Ultimate, this showed up, and I just thought it was really cool. The nostalgia brought back good memories.

D
Yay, a reference to an old and unbalanced game from 2001 that people still play for some reason. I played against some ppl months ago and hated it because it was too different from Ultimate.

It's also why I hate Melee bias.

Yay, a reference to an old and unbalanced game from 2001 that people still play for some reason. I played against some ppl months ago and hated it because it was too different from Ultimate.

It's also why I hate Melee bias.
Regardless, it was a very integral part of Smash history and it’s evident that Smash wouldn’t be the way it is today had Melee not done the hard work previously. I first played 64 but I really found my footing when I started Melee. While I haven’t played it in years, it certainly should be seen as a cherished and important part of Smash history. I respect Melee for what it did during its heyday and the fact it’s still going strong after all this time. I am also appreciative the community was able to define how competitive Smash is played today thanks to the achievements made during Melee’s time.

This kind of sentiment (and vice versa) is exactly why Melee vs the rest of Smash wars were a problem.

Last edited:
Regardless, it was a very integral part of Smash history and it’s evident that Smash wouldn’t be the way it is today had Melee not done the hard work previously. I first played 64 but I really found my footing when I started Melee. While I haven’t played it in years, it certainly should be seen as a cherished and important part of Smash history. I respect Melee for what it did during its heyday and the fact it’s still going strong after all this time. I am also appreciative the community was able to define how competitive Smash is played today thanks to the achievements made during Melee’s time.

This kind of sentiment (and vice versa) is exactly why Melee vs the rest of Smash wars were a problem.
I think (s)he was being ironic.

These images that they make for the online tourney events are legitimately cool as hell. I've actually used a few of them as desktop backgrounds (including this new one).

I think it is funny that some of these characters obviously can't do the same pose as in melee because either it is an entirely different design or their models are just not animated that way anymore. And then there is Game and Watch.

I mean, Zelda is the only on that really sticks out to me...you know, cause it's a different Zelda. Though, unfortunately, OoT Zelda seems fairly unpopular.

Though, Granted, Marth and Roy have received fairly significant changes to their outfits, but since Roy's is just the face shot, it isn't as noticeable.

Edit: Oh, and Falco I guess. Forgot about him.

Last edited:
I'm literally only playing this because of how good of a job they did on the artwork.

Hope they release the Brawl Version soon!

Rules:
S.S.B. Ult. Tourney - A Tribute to Brawl Rules!.jpg

Characters:
A Tribute to Brawl Characters!.jpg

Stages:
S.S.B. Ult Tourney - A Tribute to Brawl Stages!.jpg

Items:
S.S.B. Ult Tourney - A Tribute to Brawl Items!.jpg

A Tribute to Brawl!.jpg

Top Bottom