• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Gaming Championships: January 23, 2010 in DuQuoin, Illinois!

bryu_1337

Smash Journeyman
Attention Midwest Smashers:

The Game Attic of DuQuoin, Illinois will be hosting a SSBM and SSBB tournament on January 23, 2010 at the American Legion at 900 S Jefferson Avenue. Tournament rules for each will be standard rules as listed here on smashboards. At this point, we would like to do both SSBM and SSBB but if there is a predeliction among players to choose one game over the other, then we may only be able to play one game due to time constraints. I was told by staff that there are hotels near the venue. Any questions about the venue, housing, travels, other games being played, or etc, should be forwarded to www.ultimategamingchampionship.net OR you can call the director of the tournament, Matt Jackson, at (618) 318-2435.

Any questions regarding the SSB tournaments themselves can be directed towards me, Bryan, either through this thread, through a pm on here, my email address, bcarter_90@hotmail.com, and/or my cell phone at (618) 218-8928. please DO NOT call monday, wednesday, or friday until after 5 p.m. I have class on those days and may be taking a final if you do call. I have texting also, and if you want to text me, include your name and why you are texting me.

General Rules:

Melee:

•4 stock
•2/3 sets
•3/5 semifinals+finals
•8 minute time limit
•Items off
•Ties broken by lives, then %
•Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime.
•Stage Knock Out: Each person may choose one stage to be disabled for the entire set, it must be chosen at the beginning of the set, after initial characters are chosen.
•Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or select to go random. The winner may then change their character, followed by the loser.
•Bring your own controller
•Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
•Team Attack will be ON
•Life stealing allowed

Neutrals 1v1:

FD
Yoshis
Dreamland
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium

Neutrals 2v2:

FD
Yoshis
Dreamland
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks 1v1:

Kongo Jungle
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks 2v2:

Kongo Jungle
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

Stage Striking will be in effect for the first match of the set. The player with the lower port will get to choose the first strike. Loser choses ban before next match.

One ban per player per set. To be chosen after loss.

Modified DSR: You cannot go back to the last stage you won in a set, unless agreed upon by the other player.

The player choice clause!:: If both players agree to a rule outside of my ruleset, feel free to play by that. If one player wants to counterpick Mute City and the other player is fine with that because they think it's a fair stage, then that is more than fine. However in the event the two players disagree, house rules stand.

Brawl:

-3 Stock
-8 Minute Time Limit
-Items are set to "off" and "none"
-All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches, with the aforementioned Finals sets being best 3/5 games.
-In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
-No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
-If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage
-Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
-Standing Infinites are BANNED which include (but not limited to) Dedede's small-step chain grab, Marth on Ness grab-release, etc
-Ice climber infinites are LEGAL up to 250%
-Suicide Move Rules: (all situations are when both players are at 1 stock): If a suicide move ends a match, the match will be reset with 1 stock each to both players on the same level. Time limit will be set to 3 minutes. Both players technically died at the same time, and that is why the match was a draw. Play out the one stock, and the winner wins that match.
-Players using a Wii-mote to play must take their batteries out when not playing. We can't be having wii's be interrupted because someone made a mistake. I will be enforcing this heavily, and there will be penalties if people do not obey.
-Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. 1st Stage will be chosen at random unless agreed upon by both players. Each Player will be provided one Random Reset, with the lower-seeded Player given the option to use their reset first.**
3. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
4. The winner of the previous match may announce their Stage Ban selection
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match
**If neither Player has chosen to use their Random Reset within 3 seconds of the match starting, the match must be played out on the stage generated.

Neutral Stages:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
-Yoshis Island
-Lylat Cruise

Counterpick Stages:
-Delfino Plaza
-Frigate Orpheon
-Battleship Halberd
-Rainbow Cruise
-Brinstar
-Pokemon Stadium

Additional Rules for Doubles Play:
-Life Stealing is allowed
-Team attack will be set to ON
-In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
-Chibo's Color-Blind Rule: If a player on a team is playing Lucario, Sonic, or Pokemon Trainer, either team can request for them to be Blue Team and the opponents must abide. If both teams have one of the characters, they must work it out between them.

All other questions of rules will be directed to me.

Pricing will be $15 per person for singles and $30 per team for doubles for both SSBM and SSBB. If you pre-reg through the website, there are packages available that will save you a bit of money if you intend on playing both SSBB and SSBM singles and/or doubles.

Schedule:

This schedule is TENTATIVE and all times are subject to change.

Registration- 10:00 - 11:00 a.m.

Melee and/or Brawl Doubles starts - 11:00 - 2:00

Melee singles start - 12:00 - 2:00

Break - 2:00 - 4:00

Doubles Finish - 4:00 - 11:00

Melee Finishes - 4:00 - 11:00

Brawl Singles - 5:00 - 11:00

PAYOUT: I talked to the guys in charge and unless we have a significant amount of people register, I will be able to pay out all of the money to the players. If we have 30 or more competitors, then around $100 will gt towards paying for the venue. If we have less than 30 people, then all of the money should be able to go to competitors, unless the other events do not bring in enough money.

payout will be - 1st: 60% 2nd: 30% 3rd: 10% for ALL events unless a significant amount of people play, then I may decide to add more places.

Please post below if you are interested in playing in either tournament and please denote which game(s) you are interested in playing. I will need a count to determine whether both games will be played or not.

Thanks,
Bryan

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
My last day in SC is 31Jan. I have 25 days of leave to take before then, so I think I'll actually be able to go to this. The timing's kinda bad because Pound4 is right before it, but I'll see if I can do both. How interested would you be in going to Maryland ;D?

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
This should probably be put in midwest. What percentage of the pot goes to the players? Last year I don't think the players even got half of the pot and drove from Indiana.

bryu_1337

Smash Journeyman
foxy: i would be very interested if i can get some monies for christmas and such.

rob: at this point i can't say for sure BUT i talked to the guys and told them about that situation and they seem to be fine if MORE THAN HALF of the money goes to the players. hopefully we can get a bunch of people there so more money can go to both sides. keep in mind that I, not Hank, will be running this tournament and i definitely want it to be more player friendly :)

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah at most tournaments, all the money goes to the players, but it's understandable if that can't be arranged. I play because I love it. I don't play because I can make money off it. Either way, I'll be there. I'll be leaving the VERY next day though, unfortunately. Oh well, it can't be avoided.

Robbie, dude, give me a run for my money at this tournament please. I kinda feel like I'm going to make this a one-sided tournament because of the lack of competitive Melee players in So IL. If we can get some out-of-state players, it might be different lol. On the other hand, don't lose your Brawl touch, I want you to do well there, at least.

Furthermore, I'll be home on January 5th for about 3 weeks'ish. Then I'm coming back to SC for a week, then going back for good. At least until I get accepted into MIT. :)

Tink

Smash Hero
this gonna have any melee ppl at it 0_o....id like to go to a tourny, since non others are going on.

bryu_1337

Smash Journeyman
Tink, GawdImFoxy is going for sure. He's pretty good. Hopefully he can bring at least a little hype with him, maybe a few more people if nothing else. Either way it should be fun.

BekahthePikachu

Smash Rookie
Planning on coming to watch. My wii doesn't play the disc anymore, so I haven't been able to really play in several months.

Is there any charge for just watching? I have several friends in the tournament and I'm planning on supporting them.

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
There may be a $5 charge to watch to help pay for venue, but I'll talk to the guys about it to see if I can work out a deal :). Me and Foxy will try to be there around 8 a.m. or earlier so if any of you want to come early and warm up, please feel free to show up.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
This isn't really all that far... but wait, it's this weekend and barely anyone has posted. Subscribing in case interest magically sky-rockets.

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
Bryan, aren't there also some other games being played? Like Halo and such? Maybe some people would be interested in competing in other events.

bryu_1337

Smash Journeyman
Yes, there are other games. Halo and Halo 3 have over 100 participants and some MLG pros, which is why the schedule is a little weird. All information on other games can be found here: www.ultimategamingchampionship.net. As for the schedule, we do only have 1 day for competition, which is the reason for overlap. Also, I'm not expecting too big of a crowd, maybe upwards of 30 smashers, to come to this and I figured the overlap wouldn't get too much in the way of the matches.

BekahthePikachu

Smash Rookie
There may be a $5 charge to watch to help pay for venue, but I'll talk to the guys about it to see if I can work out a deal :). Me and Foxy will try to be there around 8 a.m. or earlier so if any of you want to come early and warm up, please feel free to show up.
Well $5 ain't that bad at all :)

Yes, there are other games. Halo and Halo 3 have over 100 participants and some MLG pros, which is why the schedule is a little weird. All information on other games can be found here: www.ultimategamingchampionship.net. As for the schedule, we do only have 1 day for competition, which is the reason for overlap. Also, I'm not expecting too big of a crowd, maybe upwards of 30 smashers, to come to this and I figured the overlap wouldn't get too much in the way of the matches.

I'm in a party of 6, with more possibly coming.

Anyway, I plan on being there from 10:00 to 4:00. It's a disappointment that I won't be able to make the Brawl singles, but I'm sure I'll have a blast meeting other gamer's and learning new strategies.

I'll be the chick in the "Don't make me go Zelda on you" T-shirt and Mario hat ;)

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Couple of questions:
1. Are the TVs HD/Plasma/LCD/flatscreen/etc?
2. What are the odds of the Melee tourney actually happening? I'm just kinda worried about this sentence: "At this point, we would like to do both SSBM and SSBB but if there is a predeliction among players to choose one game over the other, then we may only be able to play one game due to time constraints."

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
I feel like people are going to suprise us again and show up without telling, lol. Spaceballs, if you can bring a tv. Last year there were a couple plasmas and 3 regulars (one brought by my crew). They ran 4 set ups with 3 regulars and 1 plasma, where people didn't have to play on the plasma if they didn't want to. Please bring tvs and stuff guys. Is there a discount for a set up?

bryu_1337

Smash Journeyman
Guys as far as i know, there are NO plasma tv's being used. They will all be regular tubes. I am bringing a tv and a few setups and have some friends bringing a tv and some setups. Melee is actually looking stronger than brawl at this point because I have more confirmed for melee than brawl. I will talk to the guys in charge and see if I can work out a discounted deal for bringing a setup, but I can't guarantee anything. BUT any tv's that can be brought will be greatly appreciated. Just remember that reg is from 10-11 with matches starting soon after. ALSO, I talked to Isaac(one of the organizers) last night and he said that if they make as much money as they're expecting in Halo and drink sales and such, that all of the smash money can go to the players. So be sure to get a bunch of people here!

Top Bottom