• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Fitness: A Somewhat Comprehensive Guide

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
This is a straightforward guide for Wii Fit Trainer's transition to Smash Ultimate. Let me know if it helps or if I've missed anything important.

For newcomers, she's easy to learn once you've internalized that her attacks don't cover the typical ranges. Her hitboxes are clear, and her knockbacks are clear. Just don't try to engage on neutral ground--bait the opponent with projectiles, and when you get your chance, land a combo starter and go to town.

1. New Mechanics/Advanced Techs
2. New Header physics
3. Throws
4. General combos
5. General strategy

1. NEW MECHANICS/ADVANCED TECHS

Dash Attack Canceled Short Hops
  • This is a VERY advanced technique that will let you negate your momentum and even retreat while using b-air. If you can actually pull this off, it's safe on shield and a huge boost to your neutral game.
Pivot Canceling (in-depth tutorial made by yours truly)
  • A way to cancel your dash into a tilt without losing its momentum. The momentum varies by character and attack.
  • Wii Fit Trainer gets a great slide out of her side tilt. But it's a bad idea for WFT to try poking for grounded melee damage. But sometimes you're forced to approach, mostly when an opponent is landing in a position which doesn't give you time or space to run away or use projectiles. So you can run up and smack them with a sliding Dancer! Much stronger than dash attacks. But still use dash attacks against short opponents.
  • WFT doesn't want her up-tilt coming out backwards. If you're not good at inputting reversed tilts, then instead of pivoting canceling her up-tilt, use a true run cancel by flicking the left stick up, and then the tilt stick up at least 1 frame later.
  • If you hit with the backside of your up-tilt, the opponent gets launched at an awkward angle that's just out of range of your b-air.
  • Pivot canceled side smashes get good momentum, but are rarely a good option.
Sun Salutation and airdodges
  • Don't. But you can still cancel your offstage SS charges by using your air jump. And don't forget to mash while recovering.
Standing dash attacks
  • Flick the control stick and a tilt stick in the same direction for an instant dash attack. Considering that WFT's has been buffed up to lethal potential--and we have no other option to catch opponents at this range--this is VITAL in neutral.
Other mechanical changes
  • You can no longer run through opponents, so you'll have to leave most of your pivot-grabbing and Dancer-reversing shenanigans at the door.
  • With recoveries, ledge snapping, and ledge invincibility all nerfed, Wii Fit Trainer is no longer unbeatable offstage. This has been a rough transition for me.
  • WE HAVE AN UP-TILT NOW!!! And even better, the arm she raises is invincible, and it can hit opponents on Battlefield's platforms.

2. NEW HEADER PHYSICS
  • Larger and heavier, the ball is more effective at closer ranges, but less effective for long-range sniping. Most notably, it can now hit opponents under Battlefield's platforms. Use the quick hit to keep the ball under the platforms, or the automatic late hit to make the ball skip along the platforms.
  • The ball despawns after a certain amount of time. But now, whenever the ball is launched, its timer gets extended.
    • The ball no longer loses its hitbox when launched by weak attacks.
  • If the opponent launches you before you hit the ball, then they'll send the ball after you too. So BE CAREFUL and make sure you dodge that ball!
FOR ALTERNATIVE ANGLES:
  • Like in Smash 4, press shield to cancel Header and drop the ball, then hit it with a different attack.
  • Opponent recovering low? Use jab 1.
  • Opponent recovering really low? Use d-air.
  • Opponent recovering high? Use side-tilt. (Or just jump before using.)
  • Opponent standing low on the stage? Use down smash. But this isn't so necessary anymore.
3. THE THROW SECTION
  • Up-throw is now a magnificent combo tool. F-air can deal more damage and launches, but u-air is the most reliable follow-up.
    • However, up-throws won't reliably combo until the opponent is at least above 30%.
  • So until then, use [down-throw -> b-air] at low percents. It deals more damage (24.6), but is less reliable and won't let you juggle the opponent.
    • Caution: down-throws against fresh opponents give them a chance to tech roll if you launched them right under a Battlefield platform.
  • The side throws will kill around 120%, especially with Deep Breathing active, and especially if you like following up with Header snipes.

4. GENERAL COMBOS
  • They're all very intuitive. Wii Fit Trainer's hitboxes are abnormal, but they are very clear.
  • Your combo extenders are up-tilt, n-air, and up-throw.
  • Your end goals are up-smash, u-air, and Header. And the f-air and b-air's sweetspots if you can get those
  • You can still chain n-airs together. A falling n-air is difficult to land but is one of the most rewarding combo moves in the game.
  • Landing the back hit of her side-tilt combos into aerials at mid percents. Try doing this after juggling with an u-tilt or two.
  • One of her golden combos has always been to land just the first hit of a falling n-air, then run back and up-smash.

5. GENERAL STRATEGY
  • At long range, she baits opponents into getting smacked with strong projectiles. At close range, she's a combo character with obscene damage output. But her neutral game is infamously nonexistent.
  • Don't pick Wii Fit Trainer on Final Destination. You need platforms for evading opponents and keeping them above you. Opponents stuck on a platform can expect to get juggled by u-tilt and n-air, sweetspotted by up-smash, and crushed with Header for an instant 30+ damage.
  • Excellent matchups against slow, tall, and stalling opponents.
  • Poor matchups against shorties who will go right under your side attacks and aerials.
  • Very poor matchup against fast runners like Captain Falcon, who won't give you any opportunity to charge or breathe, forcing you to attempt engaging in neutral. You'll need instant dash attacks and pivot cancels to survive.
  • It's important to practice a good Deep Breathing technique. Your attack power will increase by about 25% (and it recharges much faster now!)
    • If you want to use Deep Breathing after running away, jump first. It'll come out faster in the air than having to stop your run.

edit 1: Updated the section on pivot canceling
edit 2: Updated the pivot cancels again, and the Header section

Last edited:

Lampwick

Smash Rookie
This was super helpful. I'd love a more in-depth guide on each stage of the game (i.e. neutral vs advantage vs disadvantage, finishing vs damaging, etc) if you'd be willing!

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
Freshly edited with new updates to reflect what I've learned in the past month! Check out the link to the video on pivot cancels--I made it myself!

This was super helpful. I'd love a more in-depth guide on each stage of the game (i.e. neutral vs advantage vs disadvantage, finishing vs damaging, etc) if you'd be willing!
Usually the only good position to approach in is when your opponent is landing in such a position that doesn't give you enough time or space to run away, reposition, prepare projectiles, etc. So you might as well intercept their landing. This is when I go for dash attacks or pivot canceled side- and up-tilts.

As for suggestions on capitalizing on advantages and such, I wouldn't know how to write that up. I think those would depend on matchups too. In general, play on the edge and bait the opponent. If they land on a platform above you, destroy them.

Last edited:

Kazmyer

Smash Rookie
So what should my neutral game look like against aggressive sword characters and spacies?

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
So what should my neutral game look like against aggressive sword characters and spacies?
Against characters with fast reflectors, Header is still safe. But while you're waiting for the ball to despawn, and you're against the ledge with nowhere to run, you will have to approach unless you think you can full jump and go offstage. Pivot canceled tilts are very good for approaching, particularly for intercepting an opponent as they land.

But also, you've got to read your opponent's playstyle. If they're extra aggressive, you can spook them with instant dash attacks. If they won't approach, then still stay back and use Header. I like to jump up and use the delayed hit so it arcs downward to catch approaches, or then bounces up to catch jumps. I still need to get better at reading the moment in these types of matchups, though. I usually go for janky tomfoolery by shorthopping and waiting for them to run in at the wrong time and get jackknifed.

For swords, if they try to play at mid-range, they risk giving you space to pull off the usual Wii Fit shenanigans. If they get in too close, your superior frame data will destroy them. Again, the instant dash attack is AMAZING for these matchups. They think they've spaced perfectly, and then you suddenly lunge forward and launch them away, when your every other option would've whiffed. You're probably worried about sword matchups because of WFT's poor range, but that one move gives you an out. They'll have to play as aggressively as possible, but one good shield or spotdodge and you can go to town.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
work in progress

vs
----------
----------
----------
----------
----------
----------
----------
----------