• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ultimate Falco: Gameplay & General Discussion

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
I view it as more of the mechanic being found as something that paved the way for more options in general for all characters. Ultimate Falco might not get as much out of it compared to Smash 4 Falco where frame synced Nair allowed him to chain them and combo into other moves, but it could be useful. What I could see happening is if this works for Dair, then he could get a few more frames to do other stuff or go for something like frame synced Dair to grab for a different setup as shown in the video for Smash 4. Falling Nair to Up Smash already works, but frame sync Dair to Up Smash might make it easier for Falco to hit shorter characters if he pops them up a bit and can act fast enough from frame sync Dair to land Up Smash.

In raw numbers, Ultimate Falco has the highest air speed, run speed, and possibly aerial acceleration compared to his Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 selves.

So far, this is what we know. Aerial acceleration, dash speed, fall and fast-fall speed, gravity, and walk speed are unknown among other things like aerial deceleration, air friction, and traction.

Attribute|:ultfalco:|:falcomelee:|:falco:|Launch :4falco:|1.0.8 :4falco:
Air speed|0.977|0.83|0.893|0.893|0.93
Aerial acceleration|N/A|N/A|0.07|0.07|0.09
Fall speed|N/A|3.1|1.708|1.8|1.8
Fast-fall speed|N/A|3.5|2.3912|2.88|2.88
Gravity|N/A|0.17|0.112|0.13|0.13
Dash speed|N/A|N/A|1.9|1.9|1.9
Run speed|1.619|1.5|1.432|1.472|1.472
Walk speed|N/A|1.4|1.28|1.28|1.28
Weight|82|80|82|82|82

From Smash 4 to Ultimate, Falco's run speed went up 0.147 and from Melee, 0.119. Compared to Smash 4, Ultimate Falco would have been average in run speed. Since Mario's run speed was increased again to 1.76 from Smash 4's 1.6, however, Ultimate Falco would still be below-average in run speed like Brawl and Smash 4 Falco even though Ultimate Mario's run speed is pretty damn fast in general and Ultimate Falco would also be a fairly fast runner as well. The difference between Falco and Mario in each game would be 0 for Melee since he shared the same 1.5 run speed as Mario; 0.068 for Brawl where Mario kept his 1.5 run speed; 0.128 in Smash 4; and 0.141 in Ultimate. Ultimate Falco has a larger difference in run speed compared to Mario, but for all intents and purposes, I think that despite him still having a below-average run speed, 1.619 is good enough in that the speed alone is much better than his 1.432 to 1.472 run speed in Brawl and Smash 4. The other thing is that his dash has always been good. It could still be 1.9 in Ultimate and be good considering his run speed is faster now.

As for air speed, it's a little over Smash 4 Bayonetta, Corrin, and Wii Fit Trainer's air speed of 0.97 and Fox and Mii Swordfighter's 0.96. That said, it looked like he was able to "move in the air" pretty well from your and other footage featuring Falco. If he kept his aerial acceleration from 1.0.8 Smash 4, then maybe that increase of air speed in Ultimate was enough to do that or maybe his aerial acceleration and perhaps deceleration was changed in Ultimate. We'll have to wait and see.

Basically, Ultimate Falco should be more mobile horizontally compared to in the last games except probably in walk speed since Melee Falco takes that with a 0.1 difference between his run and walk speed, however, he might still be a bit slow considering the other character's changes. If his fall speed and/or gravity were increased again, then excluding Melee for obvious reasons, he should also be more mobile vertically as he has the lowest jump frame and would have the fastest downward vertical movement. Once again, relatively, this is dependent on the other characters. For instance, Brawl Wolf's fall speed and gravity were higher than Falco's and Smash 4 Falco was given Brawl Wolf's fall speed and gravity.

The last thing is Falco's the only one whose weight hasn't changed out of the Star Fox characters. Fox went down again from 79 in Smash 4 to 77 in Ultimate which puts him closer to his Melee weight of 75. Brawl Fox had a weight of 80. Wolf went from a weight of 102 to 92 which fits his Star Fox 64 (3D) and Zero design as Assault and Command Wolf looked bulkier to me. Falco stayed the same since Brawl's addition of 2.
A lot of character's got speed increases across the board this game. Falco's small improvements are just "keeping up" to be honest. He doesn't really feel faster compared to many other characters. It's still pretty tough to chase after people who DI to the side. Guess we'll see if this opens up new combos that were barely not available before.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
A lot of character's got speed increases across the board this game. Falco's small improvements are just "keeping up" to be honest. He doesn't really feel faster compared to many other characters. It's still pretty tough to chase after people who DI to the side. Guess we'll see if this opens up new combos that were barely not available before.
You could say the same thing with Wolf or Zelda. They didn't get that much of a change compared to Mario from Brawl to Smash 4 and then Ultimate where his run speed is noticeably improved in each game and pretty much defines the average run speed or Mewtwo through patches that turned him into a speedy glass cannon and Roy going from being slower than Marth in Melee to an absolute speed demon in Smash 4.

My point in the previous post is that while relatively Falco still isn't fast on the ground and is probably still below-average, the speed he has now is still good. Going from a 1.472 run speed to 1.619 is substantial enough as is Wolf going from 1.4 to 1.54. Everyone else became faster, but that doesn't mean a certain character didn't become faster if that makes any sense. So, Falco/Wolf became faster, he's more mobile and more flexible in how he can move, but he's just not as fast as the faster characters like Fox, Mario, Sheik, Wii Fit Trainer, ZSS, or Captain Falcon, Little Mac, and Sonic, the three fastest runners in Smash, for that matter.

Edit: Some people have been uploading videos of early Falco gameplay. A short match from Osiris197: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zsenm7TjaA.

GNCFalco ! uploaded three videos so far of early Falco training. So, checking kill percents, ranges, falling Nair confirms, and if D-throw leads to anything. This is part one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUoQMCNW4_o,

The one thing I noticed is with the two videos is that Fire Bird's travel speed seems faster than in Brawl and Smash 4. If it's true, then that's a slight improvement to an otherwise awful move.

Edit: I'm just going to copy this over from the previous page since it was the last post of the page.
In raw numbers, Ultimate Falco has the highest air speed, run speed, and possibly aerial acceleration compared to his Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 selves.

So far, this is what we know. Aerial acceleration, dash speed, fall and fast-fall speed, gravity, and walk speed are unknown among other things like aerial deceleration, air friction, and traction.
Fall speed|1.8|3.1|1.708|1.8|1.8
Fast-fall speed|2.88|3.5|2.3912|2.88|2.88
Dash speed|N/A|N/A|1.9|1.9|1.9
Walk speed|1.344|1.4|1.28|1.28|1.28
Traction|N/A|0.08|0.065|0.065|0.065
Weight|82|80|82|82|82

From Smash 4 to Ultimate, Falco's run speed went up 0.147 and from Melee, 0.119. Compared to Smash 4, Ultimate Falco would have been average in run speed. Since Mario's run speed was increased again to 1.76 from Smash 4's 1.6, however, Ultimate Falco would still be below-average in run speed like Brawl and Smash 4 Falco even though Ultimate Mario's run speed is pretty damn fast in general and Ultimate Falco would also be a fairly fast runner as well. The difference between Falco and Mario in each game would be 0 for Melee since he shared the same 1.5 run speed as Mario; 0.068 for Brawl where Mario kept his 1.5 run speed; 0.128 in Smash 4; and 0.141 in Ultimate. Ultimate Falco has a larger difference in run speed compared to Mario, but for all intents and purposes, I think that despite him still having a below-average run speed, 1.619 is good enough in that the speed alone is much better than his 1.432 to 1.472 run speed in Brawl and Smash 4. The other thing is that his dash has always been good. It could still be 1.9 in Ultimate and be good considering his run speed is faster now.

As for air speed, it's a little over Smash 4 Bayonetta, Corrin, and Wii Fit Trainer's air speed of 0.97 and Fox and Mii Swordfighter's 0.96. That said, it looked like he was able to "move in the air" pretty well from your and other footage featuring Falco. If he kept his aerial acceleration from 1.0.8 Smash 4, then maybe that increase of air speed in Ultimate was enough to do that or maybe his aerial acceleration and perhaps deceleration was changed in Ultimate. We'll have to wait and see.

Basically, Ultimate Falco should be more mobile horizontally compared to in the last games except probably in walk speed since Melee Falco takes that with a 0.1 difference between his run and walk speed, however, he might still be a bit slow considering the other character's changes. If his fall speed and/or gravity were increased again, then excluding Melee for obvious reasons, he should also be more mobile vertically as he has the lowest jump frame and would have the fastest downward vertical movement. Once again, relatively, this is dependent on the other characters. For instance, Brawl Wolf's fall speed and gravity were higher than Falco's and Smash 4 Falco was given Brawl Wolf's fall speed and gravity.

The last thing is Falco's the only one whose weight hasn't changed out of the Star Fox characters. Fox went down again from 79 in Smash 4 to 77 in Ultimate which puts him closer to his Melee weight of 75. Brawl Fox had a weight of 80. Wolf went from a weight of 102 to 92 which fits his Star Fox 64 (3D) and Zero design as Assault and Command Wolf looked bulkier to me. Falco stayed the same since Brawl's addition of 2.

Edit: Walk speed is up: http://kuroganehammer.com/Ultimate/WalkSpeed. Increased by 0.064 and is 0.056 away from his Melee walk speed. Compared to his run speed, it's 0.275 slower.

Edit 2: Edit Harder: Fall speed for Falco and among others were unchanged according to this: https://twitter.com/Virum_SD/status/1068329645467148288. This also means Falco and Wolf now share fall speeds. Fast-fall speed might be the same if the percentage change wasn't altered for Ultimate.

As of this edit, the Wolf boards noted Wolf's gravity as having been unchanged from Brawl and Falco was given Wolf's fall speed and gravity values in Smash 4: https://smashboards.com/threads/spe...bject-to-change-before-retail-version.457242/. This might also be another thing they will share, but for now, it will still be left as "N/A" until Ultimate Falco's gravity value is confirmed.

Additionally, air acceleration, max and base, might be significantly higher in Ultimate than in the previous games if they did not make any typos.

They also noted that traction is higher in Ultimate than in the previous games as the only character with traction lower than 0.1 is Luigi who has has a traction value of 0.096. For comparison, Ultimate Luigi's traction is 0.016 higher than Melee Falco's. So, expect Ultimate Falco's traction to be significantly higher than in Brawl and Smash 4 and higher than in Melee. Ultimate Wolf's traction was listed as 0.11: https://smashboards.com/threads/spe...e-before-retail-version.457242/#post-22782717.

Last edited:

Zoneyboi

Smash Rookie
So would falling nair before the launching hitbox combo into itself?

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
  • slow phantasm (was the case in tr4sh tho)
  • weak reflector (as far as doing damage in itself; see video)
  • lame voice acting

Zoneyboi

Smash Rookie
The damage alone isn't all that should matter for reflector. Is the hitbox and ending/landing lag better than 4? That's really important as to whether it can be used for say retreating spacing.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
slow phantasm (was the case in tr4sh tho)
Travel speed-wise, no idea, but frame data-wise, it's pretty much the same as in Smash 4.

weak reflector (as far as doing damage in itself; see video)
Same deal with Brawl and kind of extends to Fox and Wolf because hell if they're going to give them Melee Shines. Meanwhile, Ness's new PSI Magnet apparently can do some nutty things?

lame voice acting
Personally, I feel like Smash has always had this problem after Melee. It's hit or miss, but misses are more noticeable with poor direction, quality, and reusing old audio that you can tell it's old. Ultimate is even worse in that regard when some of the voice volumes are really inconsistent. Chrom and Wolf sound quiet to me while Falco and Roy sound really loud where you can argue that it works for Roy, but English Roy sounds way louder than Japanese Roy. It's not just Smash, though, some other fighting games have **** audio in one department or another. Case in point: Tekken has been reusing voice clips since Tekken 5 or maybe 3 and only the spoken dialogue are new if they choose to update whoever they are updating.

Anyway, more movement value stuff. Dash speeds which I repeat are not to be confused with run speeds are much higher in Ultimate than in Smash 4 where the lowest dash is Olimar's 1.606 to Smash 4 Bowser's and Charizard's 1: https://www.ssbwiki.com/Dash#Super_Smash_Bros._4_rankings.

The highest dash speed isn't that higher, though, at 2.42 and it's not Fox's anymore. Fox's 2.4 dash speed in Smash 4 was significantly reduced and now he ties with Diddy Kong's, Donkey Kong's, the Pits's, young Link's, and Wolf's new dash speed at 2.09 (-0.31). Diddy's dash was 1.7 (+0.39), Donkey Kong's was 1.6 (+0.49), the Pits's were 1.5 (+0.59), and young Link's was 1.72 (+0.37). I don't remember Wolf's and it's not listed on the wiki for some reason.

ZSS is the now in first place with a 2.42 dash speed going from 1.7 (+0.72), Little Mac is still second with 2.365 dash speed from 2.05 (+0.365), and Sonic's was massively increased from a 1.5 dash speed to a 2.3 (+0.81) dash speed now putting him at third instead of Falco whose dash was barely increased from 1.9 to 2.035 (+0.135) and which he now shares with Palutena and Rosalina where both had a 1.5 dash (+0.535).

Falco's dash is still fast and what I think they did is that they took the characters with low dash speed which is pretty much everyone in Smash 4 and before and increased them more so than characters with already fast dashes like Falco and Samus. Samus was fourth fastest at 1.86, but she only gained 0.01 in Ultimate. That said, some of the changes are pretty crazy like Sonic's the fastest runner and has the third fastest dash. He's an extreme case and it makes sense since Sonic does accelerate really fast at times in his games, but at the same time, maybe it shouldn't have been that high for balancing purposes? The other thing is that as noted in KuroganeHammer's tweet, Fox is the only character to have had his dash speed reduced.

This now puts Ultimate Falco's movement values and compared to previous games as this. We're only missing air acceleration, gravity, traction, and also air deceleration and friction which I may or may not include in this table.
Fall speed|1.8|3.1|1.708|1.8|1.8
Fast-fall speed|2.88|3.5|2.3912|2.88|2.88
Dash speed|2.035|1.82|1.9|1.9|1.9
Walk speed|1.344|1.4|1.28|1.28|1.28
Traction|N/A|0.08|0.065|0.065|0.065
Weight|82|80|82|82|82

Last edited:

Zoneyboi

Smash Rookie
Is Nair safe on shield at all or is there little enough stun that people can release shield to parry the final hit? I'm concerned about the safety of Falcos approach in general I guess.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Is Nair safe on shield at all or is there little enough stun that people can release shield to parry the final hit? I'm concerned about the safety of Falcos approach in general I guess.
Probably not. I don't think post-Brawl Nair was ever safe on-shield. Damage is a factor for shieldstun and Nair's hits don't do a lot of damage, so even though Nair has low landing lag in Brawl and Ultimate, the individual hits not doing high damage like Melee Nair means its probably not going to do enough shield stun. There's also the issue of parrying in Ultimate and you can parry multi-hit moves, so Falco might risk "giving an easy" parry to his opponent by doing Nair on-shield. This also extends to Fair, but because of its dumb landing hit which was disjointed in Smash 4, people got caught by it. So, Fair's not supposed to be safe on-shield.

Here's the wiki's page on shieldstun: https://www.ssbwiki.com/Shieldstun.

At this point, my guesses for Falco's on-shield options with aerials would be Bair and Dair. Maybe Uair, but Uair does less damage in Ultimate compared to 1.0.8 Smash 4 Uair. Uair does have lower landing lag in Ultimate, so that might even out, however. Otherwise, his ground options would probably be Dtilt and maybe Ftilt.

So, way back when I tried find movement data for Melee Falco as part of my Falco's frame data through Smash spreadsheet, I couldn't find his air acceleration, air deceleration, dash speed, and some other values, but air acceleration, air friction, and dash speed are on the wiki, so there's that. I also neglected to add in base air acceleration added with (additional) air acceleration that was on the spreadsheet equals the character's maximum air acceleration. Spreadsheet's been updated with with both Ultimate Falco's known movement values so far and some of the missing values for Melee Falco: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1n5FLoDecOaKwbwY4gJcM1RRK_81ibRSpOcIRAHWPYGs/pubhtml#. Only air deceleration is missing for Melee Falco now.

FalcoMain10

Smash Rookie
Okay so as a Falco main i'm a bit worried because his dair got changed back to the way it was in brawl and melee. The part I'm worried about is if it still spikes. I might drop Falco and pickup Wolf if it doesn't spike anymore. Wolf did feel weird in brawl because of the god awful dash attack, but it got changed in ultimate. If I drop Falco in ultimate, I will stay a Falco main in smash 4. Also he got buffed and nerfed in ultimate... His jab looks way better and his laser is faster. I don't know if it has less end lag but i will find out tomorrow. The part of him that got nerfed is that he can't dab on em' haters anymore... so that's another reason to drop Falco if I do.

WECsoul

Smash Cadet
NNID
WECsoul
3DS FC
0259-1277-6150
You guys, am I the only one who has huge problems with falco? By huge problems I mean getting 3 stocked by cpus (lvl. 9) and losing almost every match in contrast to winning easily with other characters. Imo, falco feels just bad. I thought the worst time being a falco main (ssb4) is over. Do you have any tips on how to play as falco in ultimate?

Ps. falco main since melee

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
By huge problems I mean getting 3 stocked by cpus (lvl. 9)
People have been saying that that AI in Ultimate is tougher and smarter than in the previous games. Smash 4's level 9 CPUs also either read player inputs or were programmed to respond to player actions very quickly, so there's that. Ultimate's AI seem like they were built to resemble actual players more where they incorporate a lot of stuff players have been doing in Smash 4 and in previous games like the AIs for Falco and Wolf have been shown doing wavebounced lasers and Snake was shown using C4 to recover when he fell too low below the stage. Basically, using level 9 CPUs to gauge how well you're doing and when Ultimate was just released might not a good idea.

Do you have any tips on how to play as falco in ultimate?

Ps. falco main since melee
Treat Ultimate Falco as a different character from Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 Falco. Unlike most characters, Falco changes pretty drastically from game to game even with the fact that 64 and Melee are much more different games at least in terms of physics. Characters tend to play similarly from game to game which is to be expected with how development goes. That is to say, it would take more effort and time to completely overhaul a character than it would be to continue using their old, established design and trying to improve on it if there are any major issues. Falco is weird in a sense that he usually gets changed more than other characters, even if it's numerically, and for better or worse that it impacts his play style much more than with other characters. He does retain some traits like his physics, his free-flowing string system, and versatile normals, but there's just enough changes in each game that sets him further apart from his different selves compared to with other characters.

Notable changes off the top of my head would be Utilt, Dtilt, Up Smash, Side Smash, Down Smash, Uair, Fair, Bair, and Dair. Utilt was made weaker, but drastically faster on recovery, so it's more like a Mario Utilt; Dtilt is slightly slower on startup, but does much damage in return, Up Smash and Side Smash were given different animations where Up Smash looks like it would have shorter reach in front of and below him. but would have higher vertical reach while Side Smash simply has shorter horizontal range since he doesn't lunge as far nor does he hit out as far, and Down Smash is slower on startup and has a different animation. Uair does a bit less damage, 9% instead of 10% as of the 1.0.8 Smash change to Uair which might not seem to be a lot, but since its knockback was reduced too in Smash 4 and if it's the same or similar in Ultimate, then it's still going to be weaker. In return, Uair could be a better juggle tool as its lower knockback could make it easier for Falco to get to someone for a follow-up. Bair is twice as slow on startup compared to in the previous games, but retains Smash 4's knockback and Dair is 6 frames faster than in Smash 4, but twice as slow compared to in Melee and Brawl on startup and its knockback seems to be weaker in Ultimate than in the previous games.

Frame data hasn't been datamined beyond movement values, but people were able to pick up on damage and startup and recovery frames. These little things add up and in Ultimate Falco's case, it's as much of numerical changes as it is animation changes. I would not be surprised if people who played Falco a lot in the previous games felt like he was a different character.

Anyway, one tip I have is if you haven't been using Blaster, then use it more. Don't try to use it like Melee and Brawl Blaster which could auto-cancel, but use it more like a regular projectile that other characters have. At the same time, it's not Smash 4 Blaster. In general, Falco's not super fast on the ground or in the air, so being able to control space will be helpful and that's what projectiles are usually for.

Last edited:

WECsoul

Smash Cadet
NNID
WECsoul
3DS FC
0259-1277-6150
Thank you for your long answer. It might have been a bit naive to take exclusively games against cpu into consideration, but i haven't played online yet and i just feel a bit strange and underwhelmed about Falco. Nevertheless, I think you're right that I have to choose a different approach when playing Falco than in the past. It keeps getting better and better.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Kind of specific, but damage is still damage.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Zoneyboi

Smash Rookie
Cool find. I have been hearing in a couple places that Leffen thinks Falco is very good, anyone know anything about that?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Cool find. I have been hearing in a couple places that Leffen thinks Falco is very good, anyone know anything about that?
Here's the tweet of his early tier list. I think tier lists this early and before the game was out are dumb.

I looked into it earlier and he talked about it a bit in this stream: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/345573577?t=77m51s. So, some things being:
  • Two combo throws: U-throw and D-throw like in Smash 4
  • Utilt and Uair that can combo or string into other moves well. He says Falco's Uair is a better Wolf Uair, but I think Ultimate Wolf's Uair is more like Brawl and launch Smash 4 Falco's Uair if not his own Uair from Brawl. The reason for this is that if I recall correctly Wolf's Uair can kill in this game similar to pre-patch Smash 4 Falco's Uair.
  • Falling Nair setups
  • Dair ground spike setups or possibly combos like Dair ground spike to Dair spike near the ledge
The problems to this is that he didn't test his combos or setups with DI or attempts to interrupt them. Leffen also doesn't address Falco's neutral game where I feel like Ultimate Falco's neutral is good considering Falco has a decent projectile and versatile normals, but this is also a game where we have weapon users and Falco while faster in this game, is relatively below-average in horizontal movement. Falco, like most characters who don't use weapons, has trouble against weapon users. He does have ways to get around them like Dtilt being a natural disjoint as it uses his tail, Blaster, and sometimes being faster depending on who he's fighting, but they out-range him most of the time and have hitboxes he can't always challenge.

There's also how matchups work on paper and in practice, how good someone is playing Falco that can back up what he's claiming, and if Leffen is being serious or not. Considering he says he will make a video on his tier list for tomorrow, maybe he is serious.

Larry Lurr saw Leffen's tweet and ended up playing Falco a lot during a stream: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/345976805?t=181m24s. By a lot, I mean Larry played Falco for almost the rest of his stream.

Edit: Larry also has been doing falling Fair confirms into Up Smash and probably a mixup into Side Smash considering how slow it is on startup with Falco. Unfortunately, I don't remember when he starts doing it in the stream, but here's an example him doing it and explaining how it works: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/345976805?t=301m11s. The key to doing this is to not have the landing hit connect. This wouldn't have been possible in Smash 4 because of how disjointed the landing hit was and that Fair had 25 landing frames as opposed to 15 in Ultimate.

Last edited:

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
I don't understand why they would fix Falcos upsmash in Wii u towards the end, and then revert it back to enemies being able to fall out the first hit in ultimate smh

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Thank you for your long answer. It might have been a bit naive to take exclusively games against cpu into consideration, but i haven't played online yet and i just feel a bit strange and underwhelmed about Falco. Nevertheless, I think you're right that I have to choose a different approach when playing Falco than in the past. It keeps getting better and better.
Forgot about this, but I was reminded of it while watching Larry Lurr play Falco. Try to (ab)use Ultimate's dash cancel. I feel like it might be something new that people haven't adapted to yet or they're subconsciously thinking they can't do it because the previous game's didn't let you. Regardless, being able to use pretty much anything out of a dash or run is really useful and with Falco, his tilts are all good. Dash attack will still be useful such as it having longer active frames and preserving some of Falco's momentum, but Utilt, Ftilt, and Dtilt have less commitment. Utilt's probably not going to be that useful outside of catching landings or as a way to continue or combo from because of its short horizontal range. Ftilt and Dtilt on the other hand, have good horizontal range and Ftilt can be angled.

I don't understand why they would fix Falcos upsmash in Wii u towards the end, and then revert it back to enemies being able to fall out the first hit in ultimate smh
Falco's Up Smash in Ultimate is a different move. It's not a backwards frontflip or Charlie Nash's Somersault Shell, but essentially Captain Falcon's Up Smash facing towards the screen or back if Falco's facing towards the left or Rugal Bernstein's Genocide Cutter. So, Ultimate Up Smash probably has better vertical reach, but worse horizontal reach compared to Smash 4 Up Smash. That said, I haven't seen a Falco Up Smash drop yet, so I'm not sure what the situation would be for it to drop people.

The other thing is that I'm starting to feel like what Shaya speculated with the main development team and the Smash 4 patch team being separate entities as being true. Some of the stuff did transfer over like Ultimate Falco's Up Smash has leg invincibility which was given to Smash 4 Up Smash in 1.1.4, but some things weren't like apparently Ultimate Samus's gravity is her launch Smash 4 gravity of 0.075 instead of 1.1.5's change to 0.077. It's not a big difference, but it would have helped Samus to reach her top fall speed faster and that could help her in some cases. So, it might be a case of the main development team did look at what the patch team did, picked what they liked or wanted to keep and ignored or didn't consider the other stuff.

Additionally, I've noticed and BJN39, the Zelda mod, noticed that Falco's and Zelda's Nairs have issues connecting whereas in Smash 4, after patches, they didn't have this issue. Launch Smash 4 Falco's Nair was essentially Brawl Nair where it could drop people and its loop hits didn't have auto-link angles unlike 1.0.8 Smash 4 Nair while Smash 4 Zelda's Nair's loop hits had auto-link angles, but the knockback values and other stuff sometimes led to connection issues. I'm speculating that Ultimate Falco's Nair's loop hits might not have auto-link angles or if it does, then auto-link angles might function differently than in Brawl and Smash 4. Ultimate Zelda on the other hand had her Nair changed from a 5-hit move to a 3-hit move which to me makes me think there should be less issues with connecting if it only needs to hit 3 times, but that might not be the case. This is weird considering the direction for multi-hit moves in Ultimate seems to be make them connect even better with the biggest example being how fast rapid jabs are.

Ultimate Falco's Nair seems to have issues when you hit with the back of it.

For something fun and probably won't happen often, you can combo into Fire Bird.

Last edited:

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
I've played Smash off and on over the years but Falco's always been a character I play as much as my other two (Lucario and Luigi). Anything I should really focus on with Falco aside from the dash cancel stuff and falling Uair? Specifially neutral aside from lasers and Reflector spacing.

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
I've played Smash off and on over the years but Falco's always been a character I play as much as my other two (Lucario and Luigi). Anything I should really focus on with Falco aside from the dash cancel stuff and falling Uair? Specifially neutral aside from lasers and Reflector spacing.
The dash cancel is pretty good with up smash or down smash. I use it occasionally to catch people trying to throw out a move, especially if you space it really well. Falling nair into up smash can link sometimes for a kill but I wouldn't use it too often. Falling upairs into up tilts is something I like to establish at early percents.

Forgot about this, but I was reminded of it while watching Larry Lurr play Falco. Try to (ab)use Ultimate's dash cancel. I feel like it might be something new that people haven't adapted to yet or they're subconsciously thinking they can't do it because the previous game's didn't let you. Regardless, being able to use pretty much anything out of a dash or run is really useful and with Falco, his tilts are all good. Dash attack will still be useful such as it having longer active frames and preserving some of Falco's momentum, but Utilt, Ftilt, and Dtilt have less commitment. Utilt's probably not going to be that useful outside of catching landings or as a way to continue or combo from because of its short horizontal range. Ftilt and Dtilt on the other hand, have good horizontal range and Ftilt can be angled.

Falco's Up Smash in Ultimate is a different move. It's not a backwards frontflip or Charlie Nash's Somersault Shell, but essentially Captain Falcon's Up Smash facing towards the screen or back if Falco's facing towards the left or Rugal Bernstein's Genocide Cutter. So, Ultimate Up Smash probably has better vertical reach, but worse horizontal reach compared to Smash 4 Up Smash. That said, I haven't seen a Falco Up Smash drop yet, so I'm not sure what the situation would be for it to drop people.

The other thing is that I'm starting to feel like what Shaya speculated with the main development team and the Smash 4 patch team being separate entities as being true. Some of the stuff did transfer over like Ultimate Falco's Up Smash has leg invincibility which was given to Smash 4 Up Smash in 1.1.4, but some things weren't like apparently Ultimate Samus's gravity is her launch Smash 4 gravity of 0.075 instead of 1.1.5's change to 0.077. It's not a big difference, but it would have helped Samus to reach her top fall speed faster and that could help her in some cases. So, it might be a case of the main development team did look at what the patch team did, picked what they liked or wanted to keep and ignored or didn't consider the other stuff.

Additionally, I've noticed and BJN39, the Zelda mod, noticed that Falco's and Zelda's Nairs have issues connecting whereas in Smash 4, after patches, they didn't have this issue. Launch Smash 4 Falco's Nair was essentially Brawl Nair where it could drop people and its loop hits didn't have auto-link angles unlike 1.0.8 Smash 4 Nair while Smash 4 Zelda's Nair's loop hits had auto-link angles, but the knockback values and other stuff sometimes led to connection issues. I'm speculating that Ultimate Falco's Nair's loop hits might not have auto-link angles or if it does, then auto-link angles might function differently than in Brawl and Smash 4. Ultimate Zelda on the other hand had her Nair changed from a 5-hit move to a 3-hit move which to me makes me think there should be less issues with connecting if it only needs to hit 3 times, but that might not be the case. This is weird considering the direction for multi-hit moves in Ultimate seems to be make them connect even better with the biggest example being how fast rapid jabs are.

Ultimate Falco's Nair seems to have issues when you hit with the back of it.

For something fun and probably won't happen often, you can combo into Fire Bird.
Yeah I have a clip where I was playing with my cousins and his ness slipped out of the first kick, his pichu did as well a few matches later lol gotta find it. The horizontal reach is definitely not the best. I missed the upsmash a couple of times when my opponent is behind me but directly on me as well. Crazy occurrences

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Remember: Try not to double post.
Yeah I have a clip where I was playing with my cousins and his ness slipped out of the first kick, his pichu did as well a few matches later lol gotta find it. The horizontal reach is definitely not the best. I missed the upsmash a couple of times when my opponent is behind me but directly on me as well. Crazy occurrences
Larry Lurr was fighting Inkling and ZSS and it never dropped. At least with Pichu, Pichu is both light and small, but Ness is around Inkling's size and has the same weight. The other thing is that Larry primarily used Up Smash from a confirm or he jump canceled it out of shield where his opponent was usually in front of him and/or above him. I don't know what his opponent's tag or name is, but it might be Jumpsteady since Larry just uploaded a video of his Falco vs. Jumpsteady's Inkling and I'm pretty sure it was from the stream yesterday. The sound volume is really, really low: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBgspVJ3Xj0.

Hitting behind you is probably not going to happen with Falco's new Up Smash now. At least not to the degree of his old Up Smashes where the hitbox reached that far behind him and/or lingered that long behind him.

So, the landing Fair confirm I was talking about yesterday that Larry did while playing Falco, well, someone uploaded two videos showing it. Maybe it was a coincidence or maybe they saw Larry do it and decided to lab it a bit. First video is basically a proof of concept: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ8xiCt_DNY.

The second video shows you could get re-grabs with it. Ignore the title as chain-grabs don't exist Ultimate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acQ7WnJQEWo.

I'm not sure how reliable this is, but with Blaster's much lower recovery in this game, you might be able to use Blaster as a tag into Dair for edgeguarding. I say tag since it probably isn't a confirm and more of a way to interrupt a recovery and create a opening for Falco to Dair. With how deep he had to go, it's probably not something you want to do if you don't have more stocks than your opponent: https://youtu.be/0BfY8i5G0So?t=16.

This is weird at first because I'm posting a video of Seagull Joe's Wolf gameplay, but this does demonstrate projectile zoning that I feel like Falco players should incorporate more to control space: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfYBRD_ltHA. Wolf's lasers do more damage and probably have higher set knockback and a larger hitbox than Falco's lasers, but the same principle is there. Seagull was fighting a much slower-moving character, but that doesn't mean he should always go in or only rely on his normals to fight. The damage he was able to rack up just by keeping his opponent out and making it hard for them to approach added up and with each poor approach by his opponent, Seagull was able to capitalize on it hard. He also sometimes followed up the end of his combos and strings with Blaster to tack on more damage or put out another hitbox his opponent had to deal with.

I get that Falco's Blaster in Ultimate isn't Melee or Brawl Blaster or 64 Fox's Blaster and that some of you came from Smash 4 where his Blaster was simply awful, but this is different; it's a different game and a different projectile where compared to other projectiles, it's probably decent at worst.

Last edited:

Eidihn

Smash Rookie
From Sm4sh trash to what feels like a borderline top-tier, I'm thinking Falco is gonna be a good character in Ultimate. I've been playing him ever since I unlocked him and I've found that he has some really good combo potential, as well as kill power, though the input-lag crap is making it difficult to do reverse-ariel rushes.

His up smash has really good kill power, and not too much endlag. Good range too.

Forward smash feels rough. It has less range it seems and is still laggy as hell.

Down smash is down smash I guess.

Down tilt can combo into or setup U-Air strings, as well as N-Air at mid percents.

Up Tilt is an amazing combo starter. You can connect at least 2 up tilt's on most characters and combos into N-air most reliably, but U-Air is also an option.

Side Tilt is side tilt I suppose.

Jab is good out of dash if not mashed.

Down throw can combo into dash attack at low percents and enables stage control from even mid-stage at mid-high percents.

Up throw is the go-to combo throw. You can connect Up-Air strings as well as N-Air.

Back throw is a kill option at the ledge. Forward throw is just as unremarkable as it was in Sm4sh.

F-Air is a decent landing option, as it reduces Falco's hurtbox by a significant margin, and still has the landing hitbox. Trickier to land though, as I find some characters can fall out of the multi-hitting attack.

U-Air is god like. Combos. Kills. Decent range.

D-Air is a good option from the ledge. Dropping from the ledge and double jumping back up, while buffering in the down air, is really good on an unshielding enemy.

B-Air is a great killing option, but the hitbox comes out a little later than from Sm4sh so shorthopping b-air close to the ground doesn't do anything except give you landing lag.

N-Air is good for combos. I found you can do short-hop N-air into another short-hop N-air into another move, being N-air, U-air, or F-air, even Side-B. Kills reliably off-stage. I'd say it's a better option than F-air due to enemies not falling out as often. Falling N-Air into an enemy shield can also lead to a potential grab since landing lag is reduced greatly.

I haven't found anything spectacular about Up-B, other than it's flashier.

Side-B cannot pass shields (everyone knows this) but it still retains little landing lag like in Sm4sh if you jump first.

Down-B seems to become active sooner than in Sm4sh. I played a game against a lvl. 8 Samus and reflected a fully charged shot AFTER I had already fired my blaster TWICE. There was only like...a kirby's distance away from me and the projectile?

Neutral-B is much faster and safer to use at mid-range. Refer to what I said above.

What have you guys figured out about our favorite space-animal?

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Kind of a minor thing, but which of Falco's alts do you guys think makes Falco look most like Revali? Thinking the default skin, but I'm not entirely sure. Sakurai's team seems to think the green one suffices (the dark green one, if I'm not mistaken).

EDIT: Actually, I think the blue skin was used in WoL.

Last edited:

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
From Sm4sh trash to what feels like a borderline top-tier, I'm thinking Falco is gonna be a good character in Ultimate. I've been playing him ever since I unlocked him and I've found that he has some really good combo potential, as well as kill power, though the input-lag crap is making it difficult to do reverse-ariel rushes.

His up smash has really good kill power, and not too much endlag. Good range too.

Forward smash feels rough. It has less range it seems and is still laggy as hell.

Down smash is down smash I guess.

Down tilt can combo into or setup U-Air strings, as well as N-Air at mid percents.

Up Tilt is an amazing combo starter. You can connect at least 2 up tilt's on most characters and combos into N-air most reliably, but U-Air is also an option.

Side Tilt is side tilt I suppose.

Jab is good out of dash if not mashed.

Down throw can combo into dash attack at low percents and enables stage control from even mid-stage at mid-high percents.

Up throw is the go-to combo throw. You can connect Up-Air strings as well as N-Air.

Back throw is a kill option at the ledge. Forward throw is just as unremarkable as it was in Sm4sh.

F-Air is a decent landing option, as it reduces Falco's hurtbox by a significant margin, and still has the landing hitbox. Trickier to land though, as I find some characters can fall out of the multi-hitting attack.

U-Air is god like. Combos. Kills. Decent range.

D-Air is a good option from the ledge. Dropping from the ledge and double jumping back up, while buffering in the down air, is really good on an unshielding enemy.

B-Air is a great killing option, but the hitbox comes out a little later than from Sm4sh so shorthopping b-air close to the ground doesn't do anything except give you landing lag.

N-Air is good for combos. I found you can do short-hop N-air into another short-hop N-air into another move, being N-air, U-air, or F-air, even Side-B. Kills reliably off-stage. I'd say it's a better option than F-air due to enemies not falling out as often. Falling N-Air into an enemy shield can also lead to a potential grab since landing lag is reduced greatly.

I haven't found anything spectacular about Up-B, other than it's flashier.

Side-B cannot pass shields (everyone knows this) but it still retains little landing lag like in Sm4sh if you jump first.

Down-B seems to become active sooner than in Sm4sh. I played a game against a lvl. 8 Samus and reflected a fully charged shot AFTER I had already fired my blaster TWICE. There was only like...a kirby's distance away from me and the projectile?

Neutral-B is much faster and safer to use at mid-range. Refer to what I said above.

What have you guys figured out about our favorite space-animal?
Fox trotting is faster than his dash, while fox trotting you can do a F Smash out of it to catch opponents who didn't tech or are trying to dash dance.

Currently my favorite spacing kill option online and offline against Marths etc.

On a side note has anyone had this happen? If your opponent lands directly in the middle of falco somehow via roll they can get stuck in the jab for a long time. This happened a few times offline against friends but I finally caught it on camera!

Remember: Try not to double post.

Larry Lurr was fighting Inkling and ZSS and it never dropped. At least with Pichu, Pichu is both light and small, but Ness is around Inkling's size and has the same weight. The other thing is that Larry primarily used Up Smash from a confirm or he jump canceled it out of shield where his opponent was usually in front of him and/or above him. I don't know what his opponent's tag or name is, but it might be Jumpsteady since Larry just uploaded a video of his Falco vs. Jumpsteady's Inkling and I'm pretty sure it was from the stream yesterday. The sound volume is really, really low: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBgspVJ3Xj0.
@ Ffamran Ffamran
Attached some clips I was able to find of online players and cpus slipping out of falcos upsmash randomly =/ really disappointing when it happens. Costed me a few matches

Online: https://gfycat.com/WholeFakeCarp

CPU: https://gfycat.com/CriminalDefinitiveBlackfootedferret

Online: https://gfycat.com/UnfinishedBitesizedFlyingfox

Last edited:

Daedra

vibing
I was chillin with K Rool since Sunday but his playstyle, ppl getting upset with me, and him getting worse everyday ushered me to try a new character seriously. I picked up Falco and damn he really is it. I love the combos, the aggressive spacing, the speed. Everything is super sick. I really been sleepin. I can’t wait to learn more along with you all. Hope everyone kills a k rool and is enjoying their experience so far !!

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Honestly, Falco feels pretty different in this game compared to 4. A lot of his best moves in the last game, like Back-air, Up smash, and down tilt got hit with noticeable nerfs to their range and frame data, while a lot of his other moves got hit with range nerfs (F-Smash, Jab) or have some inconsistencies linking properly (like Up Smash and Nair). While his raw data definitely feel worse, I think Ultimate's engine plays way more to Falco's strengths than disadvantages - at least on first impressions.

For starters, his neutral is SIGNIFICANTLY better than 4. Dash cancels give him access to really nice approach options in pivot F-Tilt and reverse up-tilt, while aerial landing lag / autocancel changes make cross-up Dair, Nair, and Fair really good options in the neutral, particularly against bigger characters like King K Rool and Bowser. Jab being mostly functional gives him a good CQC option, even if the move's range did get a bit of a nerf. Laser isn't amazing, but it still does its job of forcing opponents to approach.

Falco's kill power also feels noticeably better in this game. Up-Throw feels more reliable at chaining into kill-confirms, probably due to the new airdodge system and Falco's lower jumpsquat frames. The lower vertical blastzones makes Up-Throw -> Up Air kill some characters at super early percents (I've killed super-heavyweights like K.Rool at 110% for example). Up throw -> Back air has also been working pretty well from my experience. F-Smash's power also seems to have had its knockback buffed, as I've been killing most characters on the ledge at around 90-100%.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with Falco the way he is currently. My only gripe with the character is that his moves don't link properly. I'm hoping that future patches address these issues.

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, have a basic question: which one is the easiest to start with, for a beginner: Falco or Wolf?
Could you summarize differences between these 2 characters
Thanks, I am new to SSB

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
All right, so this is as much as I could get for Falco's frame data: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1z15HXr4IZ2iZ-IUfHz0y9nwUi-eZIZPQpEf70ZExZqY/edit?usp=sharing.

It combines three spreadsheets with the main one being this one: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...nf1GGIteH35UX3IM7-mnbdG6eE/edit#gid=609586896, which is part of the most comprehensive frame data spreadsheet I know of. If anything, it has damage numbers which other frame data sources don't have as much or at all.

And Zapp Branniglenn's spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...mDed-NoczEq28BbnEvqD4NQ7I/edit#gid=1558047887.

And the Falco Discord's spreadsheet that was posted a while back and updated: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Fpe3vksUYl5ptO0xl_zrDxy0KpCE9xUML5steZl3OYM/edit#gid=0.

Other than missing data some of which won't be available for a while like knockback values, there are some issues, namely rapid jab finisher and Dair. Rapid jab finisher's startup was stated to be frame 5 by the Falco discord, Zapp, and me when I looked at footage of Falco, but the Japanese spreadsheet says it's frame 4 on startup which is possible since it is an axe kick, so it could start high enough to hit that early. For Dair, its late hit, which only the Japanese spreadsheet lists, was stated to be on frame 20, but that means there's 10 frames from its 10 frame startup where I doubt they would let its spike hitbox be active for that long. 10-11 or 10-12 I could see happening, but that means there's still a gap from frame 11 or 12 to 19 which if it's a late hit, then I'm guessing it's simply one that doesn't spike, but does the same damage as the spike hit frames.

11/29/2018 Edit: As with 1.1.4 Smash 4 Up Smash, the new Up Smash in Ultimate has leg invincibility for all its active frames, but where it lost in horizontal range, especially behind him, I think it's vertical range is much higher since Falco jumps up more than in Smash 4. Animation-wise, like other most other moves, it keeps his hurtbox away from his hitboxes. In Smash 4, Falco's body was mostly below him during Up Smash while in Ultimate, it looks they kept his body behind his kicks. Both moves do start with Falco turning and leaning his body towards the ground before doing a frontflip in Smash 4 and a jumping tornado kick to roundhouse in Ultimate, so it does have some low profiling. Anyway, Ultimate's Up Smash is probably just as good of an anti-air when used below people, but it hitting higher means it would probably let it catch people faster than Smash 4's Up Smash. Do keep in mind that Up Smash has to make contact with a hurtbox, though, so against moves like Ike's Nair which has good coverage around him, Falco might get clipped by it.

A recent video of Lunamado's Bowser and Falco vs. Rido's Link had Lunamado anti-air Rido's Dair several times. I'm guessing Link's Dair doesn't have as large of hitbox as in the previous game, but if you slow down the moments where it happens, you can see Falco's kick bypass Link's sword.

In the second round, the first time it occurs, Lunamado catches Rido trying to land with a Dair with the second hit of Up Smash and takes Rido's stock: https://youtu.be/Vstj4iIbc_E?t=295.

The second time it happens, Lunamado catches Rido trying to land with a Dair again with both hits: https://youtu.be/Vstj4iIbc_E?t=420.

In the last round, Lunamado catches Rido trying to Nair: https://youtu.be/Vstj4iIbc_E?t=482.

Last edited:

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, have a basic question: which one is the easiest to start with, for a beginner: Falco or Wolf?
Could you summarize differences between these 2 characters
Thanks, I am new to SSB
They're both equally difficult, and at this point, it isn't clear whether they even fill different niches, so you should honestly just try both and stick with whomever feels better. Because they certainly do have nuances that distinguish one from the other, but these do not seem to translate into differences in gameplay effectiveness.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
So, Up Smash doesn't have a lot of horizontal range or good coverage below him. If you're going to use it, use it when the opponent is on top of you or very close to you. That is to say, use it as strictly as an anti-air, an out of shield punish, or from a falling Nair or falling Fair confirm. DEAR, another Japanese player, also screenshotted it will whiff on Meta Knight as well as a followup tweet to Pikazono's. Keitaro experienced it and complained about it too: https://twitter.com/KeitaroTime/status/1082269588111454209.

All things considered, Up Smash is a good move, especially as an anti-air, but its hitboxes due to the animation change pales in comparison to Smash 4's. The only reason I can think of why Up Smash was changed was because of Wolf since Smash 4 Falco's Up Smash would literally be a better Wolf Up Smash except in recovery where Wolf's has much lower recovery. At the same time, they could have made Wolf's much stronger instead of what it is now where it's more or less like in Brawl and pre-patch Falco Up Smash and added leg invincibility. Ultimate Wolf's Up Smash has a ridiculously high base knockback of 85, but its growth is low at 65: http://kuroganehammer.com/Ultimate/Wolf. Oh well, now we have three of the same moves as Captain Falcon's and Falco's Up Smashes and Sonic's Utilt are the same kicks except Falco faces a different way.

If they were to do something in a patch, it wouldn't be that difficult. It would just need a new hitbox placed between his legs if they don't want it to whiff on low profiling characters at pointblank or to lengthen or increase the hitbox a bit if they want it to hit further horizontally and not whiff on short characters. I don't think they can lower its starting frame by 1 like they did with Up Smash to address this since Falco doesn't start kicking until frame 7 unlike with Smash 4 Up Smash where his leg is in motion by that time. It would still work and Falco's Up Smash animates very quickly, but it wouldn't match the animation. A reasonably small hitbox on frame 6 could work, though.

On the bright side, stuff with Utilt. I don't know why these aren't all grouped together, but whatever. The first tweet is this: https://twitter.com/pikazono_Falco/status/1082297137507913728, and is followed by this one: https://twitter.com/pikazono_Falco/status/1082297353283883008. I can't read Japanese and Google translate is sometimes dodgy, but I think what Pikazono is getting at is that Utilt might be a kill confirm and it works on all characters. The range I think is up to 65% for Pichu and 100% for King K. Rool and also Triple D which he has another tweet showing it. It makes sense since if the hit angles haven't changed, Utilt's second hit launches the opponent vertically at 90 degrees or almost at 97 degrees with one of its other hitbox. That makes it hard to DI and combined with its much lower recovery at 14 frames instead of 21 in Smash 4 and Falco's frame 3 jump, he should be able to follow up very quickly if not actually confirm off of Utilt. At kill percents, not sure, but Pikazono thinks it's possible. If it's true, then Falco has to my knowledge, four kill confirms: Utilt, falling Nair, falling Fair, and grounded Falco Phantasm. They're not as reliable or easy to get compared to Nair into Up Smash with Fox, Nair to Uair with Ike, or how Ken and Ryu work, but they're there.

K. Rool: https://twitter.com/pikazono_Falco/status/1082307285357981697.

Triple D: https://twitter.com/pikazono_Falco/status/1082308059714613248.

Pichu: https://twitter.com/pikazono_Falco/status/1082308609071996928.

Last edited:

Optihus9657

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
What do you guys thing are Falco's best stages?
IMO Falco has his best options complimented on Pokemon Stadium, Battlefield, Smashville, Town and City, and Kalos Pokemon League. The lower platforms on all of these stages allow Falco to shark the opponent without landing on the platform. Falco can also land on the top platform of Battlefield by simply full hopping. His vertical movement is the best in the game and can be abused on said stages. His recovery is helped on Kalos with the ability to wall jump. His combos/strings can be continued with use of the shorter platforms as well. Stages like Yoshis story, Castle Seige, Yoshi's Island, and Lylat Cruise don't necessarily benefit Falco in any particular way with their stage angles, but it's still early in the meta game. His worst stage is by far FD. His lack of horizontal pressure options and disjoints that aren't just laser make him easily forced off stage which isn't good since his recovery is predictable. This is all obviously match up dependent, but a good guideline of theory.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Hello I am a new player to smash and I have a general question about falco. Other than back air what are falco's other kill confirms (reliable)? Also at what percentage is back air a guaranteed kill, finally does it have a sweet spot.
Hey, there is another confirm, phantasm to up air kills consistently at 115-140 depends on character weight/mobility.

Been playing falco a lot and my main grip is his movement options. His neutral is decent enough but we still lack a powerful projectile to force approach nor we have the speed to get in nor we have the disjoints to outrange our opponents.

Sure falco feels like he has a solid combo game, good frame data and average/decent killpower but getting those is so hard with such lackluster mobility, similar to Zelda´s case.

I truly feel Falco needs to run somewhere around 1.75-1.8 , right now he is sitting at 1.619 being the 50th slowest. Either that, better air mobility or leaving those like that but improving the frame data on laser so we can force people to approach falco.

On the bright side, he now has some approach options like nair, dair which are safe on shield and crosses up shields which is excelent but i feel his kit is overall way better in ultimate and we only need those small buffs to trully make falco a high tier.

Last edited:

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
IMO Falco has his best options complimented on Pokemon Stadium, Battlefield, Smashville, Town and City, and Kalos Pokemon League. The lower platforms on all of these stages allow Falco to shark the opponent without landing on the platform. Falco can also land on the top platform of Battlefield by simply full hopping. His vertical movement is the best in the game and can be abused on said stages. His recovery is helped on Kalos with the ability to wall jump. His combos/strings can be continued with use of the shorter platforms as well. Stages like Yoshis story, Castle Seige, Yoshi's Island, and Lylat Cruise don't necessarily benefit Falco in any particular way with their stage angles, but it's still early in the meta game. His worst stage is by far FD. His lack of horizontal pressure options and disjoints that aren't just laser make him easily forced off stage which isn't good since his recovery is predictable. This is all obviously match up dependent, but a good guideline of theory.
Yeah, banning FD is the easiest decision a Falco player can make.

Top Bottom