• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Bowser MU Analysis and Discussion

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
I recall Pichu being the only character able to fall out of grounded Fortress, because of how small it is.
I think it happened to me once that a Mario fell off too... but he tripped when falling off? It was really weird.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys have any tips about fighting Link ? I have a friend that play him, and I really want to DESTROY him. Any tips ;) ?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I recall Pichu being the only character able to fall out of grounded Fortress, because of how small it is.
I think it happened to me once that a Mario fell off too... but he tripped when falling off? It was really weird.
Enemies could fall out of it in Smash 4 as well, IIRC, and they'd be in the trip state when they do.

I'd rather the move just be consistent and hold enemies until the final hit, both on the ground and in the air.

Vangis605

Smash Rookie
I feel like this is the place to ask this... but how do you Bowser mains deal with Ness? I can manage the projectiles, but his aerials and pk thunder edgeguarding really ruin my day. I love Bowser and really want to main him, but this matchup alone makes me want to play as someone else so as to not get bodied so badly

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I feel like this is the place to ask this... but how do you Bowser mains deal with Ness? I can manage the projectiles, but his aerials and pk thunder edgeguarding really ruin my day. I love Bowser and really want to main him, but this matchup alone makes me want to play as someone else so as to not get bodied so badly
Ness is a heavy killer. It’s always gonna be a bad matchup for Bowser. First of all never use firebreath unless you wanna give Ness like 50%. Second of all try and space Ness out with tough guy and avoid his disjoints. Honestly your main play in this game is probably making hard reads and trying to kill and punish at low percents. Also follow Ness off stage and edgeguard him. It’s not unwinnable I’ve lost to plenty of good Bowsers but it’s really hard and you have to adjust your gameplay. Try and wait until the Ness player gets overconfident or overextends (it’s easy to get carried away with stringing heavies and trying to land flashy moves) and then make sure you punish him hard. You’ve basically just gotta out read him on this one. Also you don’t wanna play on FD or any flat stages or any stages with slopes that he can hang his yo-yo off. I hope that helps at least a little, I’m giving you the matchup from my perspective. It is gonna be hard for you and Ness is really good and popular right now but I think Bowser is good enough to be worth it

If you’re thinking about tournaments have a secondary to deal with Ness. Never bring Bowser into a tournament against a good Ness player

Jotun873

Smash Cadet
So alot of the match ups i regularly face are wolf, lucas and paulenta.

It feels as if we have a decent match against wolf who seema to have trouble killing bowser as long as he isnt given the opportunity to gimp/spike. His blaster is a huge problem though. Its an easy 10% that complicates a big bodied approach. Anyone have tips for dealing with it?

Lucas is a nightmare. I play with ome who relies on a keepaway game that heavily utilizes PK fire onstage and pk freeze for lethal edgeguard. By the time i am close to him he already has me in kill range.

And paulenta seems to have a simple answer for most of what bowser does. Getting Nair combo'd, safe recovery and reflect trolls firebreath. I feel like a training dummy.

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
So alot of the match ups i regularly face are wolf, lucas and paulenta.

It feels as if we have a decent match against wolf who seema to have trouble killing bowser as long as he isnt given the opportunity to gimp/spike. His blaster is a huge problem though. Its an easy 10% that complicates a big bodied approach. Anyone have tips for dealing with it?

Lucas is a nightmare. I play with ome who relies on a keepaway game that heavily utilizes PK fire onstage and pk freeze for lethal edgeguard. By the time i am close to him he already has me in kill range.

And paulenta seems to have a simple answer for most of what bowser does. Getting Nair combo'd, safe recovery and reflect trolls firebreath. I feel like a training dummy.
Yeah, I've had trouble with the same kind of Lucas players and it's a real pain to deal with for Bowser, because your approachs can be either Nair'd or grabbed if you manage to avoid the PK Fire spam. I find his PK Fire to be much harder to deal with than Ness's for some reason.

I personally try to abuse my double jump and catch them from above with a fully powered Nair, and considering Lucas's tether grab, they're gonna have a hard time shieldgrabbing this while you can immediately buffer a Side B after you land the Nair on their shield.
I would recommend flat stages against Lucas, either an FD or Stadium.

Wolf is an annoying matchup, but Bowser has the clear advantage of being able to edgeguard Wolf much better than Wolf can edgeguard us.
I agree that the Blaster is a pain, especially while trying to jump above and come to them with a Fair or other, you take the risk of them firing another shot and taking 16% with the close range blaster Hitbox.
I usually try to just play a straightforward neutral game against Wolf and try to consistently challenge them mid air with Fairs and cross up their shields.

Palu is one of Bowser's most interesting matchup imo and I would say that it is almost even. Sure you'll inevitably take 50% from Nair shenanigans, but she can never kill Bowser unless she gets a grab or a good edgeguard. And Bowser is one of those fast characters that can get into Palutena's face and mess her up, especially if she wiffs longue range Explosive flames.

Top Bottom