• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
When I vote (if I do as I prefer to sit back and see how votes progress), I always try to keep the roster in mind and how the newcomer would look compared to the rest while also taking the uniqueness and popularity/importance in mind. I rarely vote for characters I personally like/ have a bias towards. Also as a rule, I hardly vote for my own submission. I typically save this for moments when we vote for multiple categories. I have my picks more or less and I can verify that they aren’t characters I’ve fully supported for in Ultimate nor characters that I haven’t any particular attachment to but I feel that they feel they are the right pick.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Alright, to start off the discussion,

Do you care about relevancy/importance, or do you just go with whoever you think is cool?
It's a little of both. Some needs to be there and I want the choices to make some general sense but it's not the only factor I keep in mind. I can't see myself voting for someone who I think is a never actually happening as far as first parties go though

Also, can we get a submission list? Feel like that would be a good start for the discussion so we can look over characters

Last edited:

airConditioner

Smash Ace
It's a little of both. Some needs to be there and I want the choices to make some general sense but it's not the only factor I keep in mind. I can't see myself voting for someone who I think is a never actually happening as far as first parties go though

Also, can we get a submission list? Feel like that would be a good start for the discussion so we can look over characters

Excited to see how things turn out. A lot of interesting characters

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We are still not voting but here are our list of candidates. We will begin voting in about five+ Hours. Please do not make any votes. They don’t be counted.

You are free to discuss the submissions, which ones you think are strong canoeists, pros and cons to eachone. Please avoid indicating which ones you are leaning on voting on.

Jill & Dozer Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario (110)
Soda Popinski (Punch-Out!!) AirMac1 AirMac1 (115)
Guardian (Zelda) PeridotGX PeridotGX (133-137)
Porky Minch (MOTHER/Earthbound) Adrianette Bromide Adrianette Bromide (110)
Lugia (Pokémon) BowserKing BowserKing (127)
Max Brass (ARMS) Jomosensual Jomosensual (slightly lighter than Bowser)
Tiki (Fire Emblem) cashregister9 cashregister9 (106, 130)
Hades (Kid Icarus) warpenguin55 warpenguin55 (118)
Wolf Link (Zelda) Glubbfubb Glubbfubb (106)
Edelgard (Fire Emblem) C chocolatejr9 submission (108) & airConditioner airConditioner submission (108)
Kraid (Metroid) SharkLord SharkLord (142)
Mach Rider Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom (132)
Shake King (Wario) Mamboo07 Mamboo07 (140)
DJ Octavio (Splatoon) Krookodilian Krookodilian (125)
Chain Chomp (Mario) Janx_uwu Janx_uwu (comparable to Piranha Plant)
Chibi-Robo ahemtoday ahemtoday (106)
Black Shadow (F-Zero) Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 (sam as Ganondorf)

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm curious to see if Edelgard or Tiki will be voted in. There might be interest im trying to just skip over the FE phase. Hmmmm perhaps.
I feel like Edelgard's gonna be the more popular FE rep with how much she's been pushed in 3H and Heroes, but I'd prefer Tiki more. It'd be interesting to see how a pure Manakete would work compared to Corrin's unorthodox take on a Lord/Avatar/Dragon mix, especially when we factor in the differences that could pop up between her child and adult forms. Overall I think it'd be fun to see what we could spin out of her.

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Alright, to start off the discussion,

Do you care about relevancy/importance, or do you just go with whoever you think is cool?
A little bit of both. I think some relevance is very important, whether that be from having a recent game or from being a popular character in the fan base.

The only way my ideal FE rep gets in is via a massive upset in the FE round. I'm not gonna vote for them because of that.
Same here, but I still might vote for one of them. Both Edelgard and Tiki are good options imo

On to some potential concerns I see with a few submissions. I'm not using this section to crap on anyone else's submissions, I just need some clarity.

Since I was just talking about her, Edelgard seems like a good place to start. If she were to be included, you'd almost have to have both her armored version and school version as costume options (IDK which would be the base). Wouldn't her model end up changing quite a bit between those 2 forms?

Chibi-Robo might cause an issue as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Chibi-Robo's whole thing is being a tiny robot, right? So in smash, he'd end up around Olimar or Pichu sized, but with the weight of ROB. That sounds it would be really confusing.

If anyone has a fix for either of these 2, I'd like to hear it. I have no idea how I'd do it

1 more thing. I had a couple ideas of things we could do for DLC. I meant to suggest them in the survey, but I forgot. Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom do you want me to PM you these ideas or just post them in the thread?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
A little bit of both. I think some relevance is very important, whether that be from having a recent game or from being a popular character in the fan base.

Same here, but I still might vote for one of them. Both Edelgard and Tiki are good options imo

On to some potential concerns I see with a few submissions. I'm not using this section to crap on anyone else's submissions, I just need some clarity.

Since I was just talking about her, Edelgard seems like a good place to start. If she were to be included, you'd almost have to have both her armored version and school version as costume options (IDK which would be the base). Wouldn't her model end up changing quite a bit between those 2 forms?

Chibi-Robo might cause an issue as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Chibi-Robo's whole thing is being a tiny robot, right? So in smash, he'd end up around Olimar or Pichu sized, but with the weight of ROB. That sounds it would be really confusing.

If anyone has a fix for either of these 2, I'd like to hear it. I have no idea how I'd do it

1 more thing. I had a couple ideas of things we could do for DLC. I meant to suggest them in the survey, but I forgot. Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom do you want me to PM you these ideas or just post them in the thread?
Actually, Edelgard doesn't change THAT much between designs. She's still roughly the same height.

airConditioner

Smash Ace

I agree with Chibi-Robo here but in Fire Emblem, you can swap between the characters' models freely in NG+. Edelgard is an exception to the other students where her height doesn't change as much so she makes up for it by wearing a big poofy dress

Also I made alts for her before Byleth was revealed so do with that as you will
edelgard (1).png

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion

I was going to vote for fire emblem since I belvir out of all the possible reps Elegard would be a pretty good choice, never played three josie's but she seems popular and more interesting than Byleth

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Should we really vote for Lugia? We literally just had a Pokémon rep, and Lugia isn't the most important Pokémon there either (I actually do like Lugia, but it wouldn't be very realistic)

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Chibi-Robo here but in Fire Emblem, you can swap between the characters' models freely in NG+. Edelgard is an exception to the other students where her height doesn't change as much so she makes up for it by wearing a big poofy dress

Also I made alts for her before Byleth was revealed so do with that as you will
View attachment 315605
I didn't know you could do that. Well that takes care of that

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I feel like Edelgard might be a situation where we have to choose between one side or the other. I think the student designs are the ones used more, but since those are already covered by Byleth I could see some leaning more towards the war arc instead, especially since that's the one where she actually uses Amyr. Either way, I think that's a bridge we'll have to cross if/when we get to it.

As for Chibi-Robo, I'm fine with that sort of odd dissonance. Heck, I'd even say it's a point in his favor. Stuff like how K. Rool's a heavyweight with great defense and recovery, how Ridley is lighter than Samus despite being the biggest fighter in Smash thus far, and how Sephiroth is a lightweight despite having a massive sword one would expect from a heavyweight. Seeing those weird mix-and-match attributes gives the fighters character and uniqueness.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
We are still not voting but here are our list of candidates. We will begin voting in about five+ Hours. Please do not make any votes. They don’t be counted.

You are free to discuss the submissions, which ones you think are strong canoeists, pros and cons to eachone. Please avoid indicating which ones you are leaning on voting on.

Sofa Popinski (Punch-Out!!) AirMac1 AirMac1 (115)
Edelgard (Fire Emblem) C chocolatejr9 submission (108) & airConditioner airConditioner submission (108)
Open QNA for people to ask Guardian questions. It's an unorthodox inclusion, but I think it's good at the end of the day. Here's a link to a moveset, by the way.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Chibi-Robo's a little too tall in terms of proportion to be Olimar or Pichu's height. If he was, he'd end up being weirdly... narrow. Honestly, I picture him being more Mario or Luigi's height.

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
For me its very hard to seperate my most wanted from the most realistic, which is partly why a lot of my most wanted have got in already. Not only does getting excited for a character that has a very low chance of getting in seem like a bit of waste for me personally, (I understand it may be different for others), but the realistic characters tend to have a large support base which makes them easier to root for. So more or less I do base my wants off of what would be most realistic in an actual smash game. However, another important factor I consider is how the new character would compliment our current roster, such as whether an area is lacking, or if that character would over represent a certain area. With that being said here are my short thoughts on each character submitted, because why not:

Jill & Drill Dozer: Would have both a unique playstyle, and appearance, but I can't see her being relevant enough to include, especially with her assist trophy not even being present in the last two installments.

Soda Popinski: One on my favorite Punch-Out!! boxers, but I don't think he's important enough compared to the other boxers to warrant his inclusion over any of the others. I also think Little Mac represents Punch-Out!! perfectly fine by himself

Guardian: Would actually be amazing to see, and I can see it having a really fun moveset, but I wouldn't want to replace the Zelda job with something else, and I also think the Guardian is out prioritized by some other characters which I'll get to.

Porky: Wouldn't mind him getting in, with him being the antagonist to both Ness and Lucas, as well as being a boss in Brawl. However, I do think his inclusion would be a bit predictable, given his lack of a spirit has fueled a lot of discussion over him being a bonus fighter. Furthermore, I think the MOTHER series is honestly already lucky to have 2 fighters as is, and considering the series has practically no future, I'm not sure it makes sense to include a full newcomer from it when there are only so many slots.

Lugia: Lugia is cool as a pokémon, but we just had a pokémon rep, and I'm not sure Lugia is really suited to be a fighter in the first place.

Max Brass: Max Brass is another character which I wouldn't mind, but I'm not sure the ARMS series needs another rep. If Min Min was in base game maybe, but I'm under the opinion that Min Min was the push for ARMS 2, and subsequently it wouldn't make much sense to include another ARMS character for the sequel.

Tiki: Tiki is one of the few FE characters I actually like, but I would like to see the FE job go through, so that I can hopefully be convinced that there is another FE character who truly deserves to be in smash.

Hades: I'm a big fan of his character, but with Medusa already in I think that would be a bit of a KI:U bloat.

Wolf Link & Midna: My second most wanted Zelda rep behind Skull Kid, but I do want to see a potential Zelda job just so we can dedicate some discourse to which Zelda rep should get in, as opposed to one just getting in here.

Edelgard: FE........ but definitely should've gotten in over Byleth

Kraid: Don't think we really need another Metroid character, but if we did it would probably be Sylux. a Godzilla Esque character would be cool though

Mach Rider: No thoughts, head empty. He's (She's?) alright but eh.

Shake King: Seems a bit irrelevant, and we've also already gotten Ashley and Waluigi, so I think Wario has enough company for now.

DJ Octavio: With Splatoon continuing to be pushed, I think another unique fighter is completely warranted. His villain status makes him the logical choice for said Splatoon newcomer imo. It also helps that Unlike The Squid Sisters and Off the Hook, DJ Octavio would be visually diverse from Inkling and Octoling.

Chain Chomp: I don't think I can handle another mario enemy getting in over an actual Mushroom Kingdom resident

Chibi Robo: Huge fan of him, but I do think he would be a lightweight. Even though he would be made of metal, I feel like the nature of him being tiny in his home game would lend more to him being a lightweight. I suppose we'll see based on the voting though.

Black Shadow: I do support his inclusion, although as an echo fighter and not a unique fighter, since I'm not sure F-Zero really needs a fully unique second rep.

Keep in mind that these are just my thoughts on the characters, and not the submitters nor the specific submissions. I'm also aware that there are quite a lot of counter arguments to these points, but in order to list my thoughts on each character I had to keep it somewhat brief. Overall I'm thinking Porky, Black Shadow, Wolf Link, and DJ Octavio will be the strongest contenders, although I can see people dumping their votes into one of the two FE reps to null the FE job, which I really hope doesn't happen, as the character then wouldn't be getting in on their own merits.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I think for this one we should think about placement and potential.

As of this point, the last Fire Emblem rep was Byleth. Edelgard could be differentiated but keep that in mind. E

And for someone like Chain Chomp or Guardian while they fit fine we also aren't really close to the end and if we use a joke to early or too often it just becomes tiring.

We Also got a Pokemon rep recently, but you could tie that into Lugia, potentially maybe.

A lot of these choices have insane moveset potential though.

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
In all honesty I will vote for Elegard as she seems interesting even though I never saw her in action, plus a female heavyweight seems unique enough to be warranted, I prefer filling unique niches that normal smahs dosnt have(note I dont know if mythra is a heavyweight character)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Before we actually start voting, I will say that I don't expect my submission to win. Kraid's more of a "Why the %$#@ not" kinda guy; He's not overly relevant or popular, but he's big monster and that activates the neurons in my monke brain. That's all I need.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
To be fair a floating ghost, presumably without a physical body, might not strike a lot of people as really heavy
He's always been a heavy character in Mario Kart though, and in Luigi's Mansion 3 he makes enormous dents in the wall when you slam him against the ground. Besides there's a bunch of characters that don't really strike me as heavy.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

Ok perfect. Thank you so much. With Venus's last post IDK how much I can say or not, but here's who I think are the true contenders for my vote:

Max Brass: Because I submitted him. I don't think I need to say any more. He's also in my top 2 for fave ARMS characters along with Helix and I'd love to vote one of them in.

Porky: Legit my favorite boss in Brawl, a villain, and his mech suit would be insane to have as playable. That would be such a fun and unique character to have in the game and it would be hard to imagine a scenario where Porky wouldn't feel just super cool to have.

Tiki: I LOVE the idea of a transforming character from Fire Emblem in, especially Manakete which is one of my favorite forms. Only reason I might not vote her is because I feel like she has a good shot in the eventual FE round and some of these characters have no shot otherwise

Hades: Hades seems like a very fun character. He's also a first party villain and has a very good personality for Smash. Also would make the KI representation feel complete in my eyes. I also really liked Warpenguin's idea of him adopting some stuff from Gannon's old form as a Falcon semi clone. It would kinda suck for people who liked to play Gannon to suddenly not have a character anymore, but Gannon badly needed a redesign so this isn't a bad compromise assuming the moves work for him.

Edelgaurd: Another one of my FE favorites. She also has the knock of being likely for another FE prompt, but she's one of my favorite characters in the entire series and I legit loved her route minus a few spoilers I won't bother posting here.

Black Shadow: I've been on this bandwagon for a while. Another first party villain, with this one being one from a series that hasn't gotten a new character since 64. Also since we reworked Gannondorf I'd like to see the old Falcon semi clone come back in some way and this would be the most sensible version of that to me. Not sure another FZero character is as big of a need as some others but I wouldn't be disappointed in him.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
One thing I also focus on is getting a new series included and what a character inclusion means for other content. If we can bring a new series to the fold, I am all for it but I also like balance; especially in Smash. I already feel that Kirby is pretty unbalanced currently but that's fine given its been since Brawl that we've gotten anything concrete other than additional content. Pokemon on the other hand, even with Grovyle & Celebi, I feel there's really no need for more content. Even then, there's still a lot of Earthbound, Splatoon, Metroid, Wario, and such included already. And I am not going to touch Mario and FE content. Zelda is also understandable if it gains some votes but I feel we can spend votes towards Zelda in a different way.

A FE job is as inevitable as Thanos but, judging from thread participating, it seems we want to include a Zelda newcomer at some point. Do we want to use this job as the vehicle to include such a character; especially since the series has far more candidates that deserve mentioning. My legitimiate concern is we add a character that brings other content to the table.

PMing me is fine. I currently don't have any concrete plans for DLC content and just want to focus on the base game atm.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think for this one we should think about placement and potential.

As of this point, the last Fire Emblem rep was Byleth. Edelgard could be differentiated but keep that in mind. E

And for someone like Chain Chomp or Guardian while they fit fine we also aren't really close to the end and if we use a joke to early or too often it just becomes tiring.

We Also got a Pokemon rep recently, but you could tie that into Lugia, potentially maybe.

A lot of these choices have insane moveset potential though.
Guardian isn't supposed to be a "joke" character. I think it's actually the best BoTW rep, and a pretty good Zelda rep, despite it's generic enemy status. I think it's best if it's accompanied by another Zelda rep, but it's not a joke like Plant.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

The only concerned I have with this is Edelgard, I know that she's got a good reception right now but I feel like I wanted another rep from an entirely different game and I feel like with Byleth already represent 3H by being a neutral character, adding Edelgard will just tipped the scale when we could just have the death knight or other villain from the game fill that hole, this is like adding Ryoma from Fates when we already have Corrin as the middle man of both faction (which honestly I prefer it being Azura). A plus point if it's a game with no content in Smash like Grovyle representing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and other spin-off. Heroes and TMS comes to my mind but other than Tsubasa Oribe I don't know which character fit this prompt, pushing this back until the inevitable FE prompt will probably be snubbed by Lyn.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Geez, I missed out on submitting a heavy weight character cause of finals. I'm honestly surprised nobody nominated Captain Toad, cause making him a heavier character to emulate how he can't jump in his home games.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Guardian isn't supposed to be a "joke" character. I think it's actually the best BoTW rep, and a pretty good Zelda rep, despite it's generic enemy status. I think it's best if it's accompanied by another Zelda rep, but it's not a joke like Plant.
I used the term "Joke" pretty loosely. I would classify Guardian with Steve, Where it makes sense and is cool but you can't help but laugh at the ridiculousness, I felt that way about Plant too.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
What do you guys think of Soda Popinski?
I don't mind the idea of him, but I feel like there's some other Punch Out reps I'd rather get. King Hippo and Bald Bull were 2 I was legit considering before Max Brass came to my mind. If he got in I wouldn't hate it, and I would also like another Punch Out rep as I'm a fan of the games but not sure Soda/Vodka is my top choice

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Personally, my top pick for a second Punch-Out rep will always be Mr. Sandman. The dude gets up by punching the ground. I'm instantly sold.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Personally, my top pick for a second Punch-Out rep will always be Mr. Sandman. The dude gets up by punching the ground. I'm instantly sold.
There was a period of time where I hadn't played too many video games outside of sports game and Mike Tyson was legit one of my most wanted for Smash. I even dropped a ballot vote for him. So I personally wouldn't mind someone who kinda but not really at all resembles him to get in and sorta fulfill that dream.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We are moving forward with voting! Please vote for the top three characters that you feel deserve a spot in the roster, best fits the prompt, and/or sounds fun or unique. Ranked voting is on and you may vote your own for your second or third choice.

Soda Popinski (Punch-Out!!) AirMac1 AirMac1 (115)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom